Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought some basic reative 560 5.1 speakers yesterday and playing with them.

I'd had a pretty deecent Sound blaster Live PLatinum for years and never tried them with a 5 speaker system, I can hear the difference in DVD 5.1 encoded movies but is there any player apart from MS Media player that can do something about improving sound from a stero source? e.g. Xvid / DivX movie? MP3's, etc

Also is there such a thing as 5.1 encoded MP3 music?

So there are 5 channels of sound? or 6.

The best one I've tried so far is a trial evrsion of DVDXPlayer BUT every time I play a DVD in it it's black and white and really dark, but WinDVD work perfectly

Comments

• Options
    Have a look to see if their is any creative media players m8...creatives sweet as a nut lol
  • Options
    music can be encoded in AC3 which gives it 5.1 surround ( if its recorded in it )
    VLC i assume might do something.
    www.vlc.org
  • Options
    Basically the problem comes down to the fact that the audio on the XViD/MP3 was stereo, so there really is no way to get real 5.1 surround. Some programs might be able to fake it or use clever tricks to estimate it.

With ever increasing broadband speeds, bigger hard drives and HiDef out, I'm sure its only a matter of time before we start getting very high video and audio quality.
  • Options
    I've decided to take the speakers back.

They sounded really good for 5.1 encoded DVD's, but for music they weren't quite powerful enough and the treble didn't sound so great.

The satelitte speakers were a bit light weight too which makes me think they weren't all that powerful.