Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Demonising Fat People" - Appalled by peoples attitudes.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    admirable
    to be able to turn the other cheek when people are taking the piss out of you and not lash out yourself is an ''admirable'' quality.
  • Options
    I really can't see how people can try and applaud something that is inherently bad and turn it into something positive. It's completely screwed up.
    No, I am not saying fat, obese, overweight people should be demonised, and I do understand that it can be a hardship and a challenge, but what kind of a message are you giving by equating obesity with braveness and courage? How can you in all seriousness encourage something that is not merely bad according to superficial standards, but more importantly and significant is bad in relation to ones health? Cause that is, what is being done when saying that being fat requires courage.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    to be able to turn the other cheek when people are taking the piss out of you and not lash out yourself is an ''admirable'' quality.

I agree completely.

but being fat is not being brave
  • Options
    I agree completely.

but being fat is not being brave

exactly
  • Options
    For fucks sake, I'm not saying that being fat, thin, tall, small, white, black, green, ANYTHING like that is brave.

I'm saying that it takes bravery to put up with the pathetic insults people can get, I'm basically saying a similar thing just from a different angle.

And no Cheeseontoast I don't know what you've experienced - why would I? But then do you know anything about me? No. So how is it right that you can give your point of view, but my point of view is of course wrong? Because thats how it's coming across right now.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    I really can't see how people can try and applaud something that is inherently bad and turn it into something positive. It's completely screwed up.
    No, I am not saying fat, obese, overweight people should be demonised, and I do understand that it can be a hardship and a challenge, but what kind of a message are you giving by equating obesity with braveness and courage? How can you in all seriousness encourage something that is not merely bad according to superficial standards, but more importantly and significant is bad in relation to ones health? Cause that is, what is being done when saying that being fat requires courage.

good post
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    I'm saying that it takes bravery to put up with the pathetic insults people can get
    we are all on the same side then? :)
  • Options
    For fucks sake, I'm not saying that being fat, thin, tall, small, white, black, green, ANYTHING like that is brave.

I'm saying that it takes bravery to put up with the pathetic insults people can get, I'm basically saying a similar thing just from a different angle.

And no Cheeseontoast I don't know what you've experienced - why would I? But then do you know anything about me? No. So how is it right that you can give your point of view, but my point of view is of course wrong? Because thats how it's coming across right now.

Sorry but you are the one who said
    It's just some of the people on this website seem to believe that because they haven't experienced things first hand - whether it be insults, self confidence issues, or any of the other things we all discuss on here, that they don't exist.

So .. ?

Don't make assumptions innit.
  • Options
    Well it does seem like that sometimes.

And that was a general comment, rather than about this thread in particular, as proved by "or any of the other things we all discuss on here"

And aren't you making assumptions by thinking I'm talking about you when I mention those things.

I give up. I'm willing to discuss topics and take on others opinions but not when people aren't willing to take on mine and just tell me I'm wrong. That's not debating. Personally I'm starting to think that some of the attitudes of people on here are no better than the 10 year old bullies in a playground - and no, I'm not naming names there.

Everyones different. Everyones self esteem is different. So yes, life in general day to day for some people takes bravery and courage, for whatever bloody reason. If you can't accept that then fine.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Dear Wendy wrote: »

Word. :D

I don't admire anything about being fat, especially those that complain about how hard they have it. What I admire is people putting in effort to do something about it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well it does seem like that sometimes.

And that was a general comment, rather than about this thread in particular, as proved by "or any of the other things we all discuss on here"

And aren't you making assumptions by thinking I'm talking about you when I mention those things.

I give up. I'm willing to discuss topics and take on others opinions but not when people aren't willing to take on mine and just tell me I'm wrong. That's not debating. Personally I'm starting to think that some of the attitudes of people on here are no better than the 10 year old bullies in a playground - and no, I'm not naming names there.

Everyones different. Everyones self esteem is different. So yes, life in general day to day for some people takes bravery and courage, for whatever bloody reason. If you can't accept that then fine.

I agree with the bit in bold, but what the fuck does that have to do with being brave to go out because your fat? Its not a fucking birth defect, its a LIFESTYLE CHOICE in most cases.
  • Options
    Being brave - and I'm not saying it is brave to be fat - surely has nothing to do with a person but the outside factors in a society.

There's nothing inherently brave about being black or gay or following a persecuted religion or belief. It's being something when being that is persecuted that makes it brave. After all - being gay was just described as a lifestyle choice and perversion for many years - and of course also a crime.

It was the laws and attitudes that perscuted homosexuality that made it brave to stand up and be 'out' - not being gay itself.

So not saying being fat is in itself someway brave - but if something is disproportonaly persecuted then it certainly takes some effort to stand up and do something about being overweight. Especially when most places that could help lose weight seem pretty terrifying when you are overweight.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Especially when most places that could help lose weight seem pretty terrifying when you are overweight.

They seem pretty terrifying when you're NOT overweight as well. I hate going to the gym by myself >.<.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    They seem pretty terrifying when you're NOT overweight as well. I hate going to the gym by myself >.<.

God yeah - there does seem to be something inherently wrong with them doesn't there? Especially for somewhere that should be about health rather than beauty.
  • Options
    newsflash - you dont need a gym to lose weight

I'm just going to bow out of the whole brave situation
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    God yeah - there does seem to be something inherently wrong with them doesn't there? Especially for somewhere that should be about health rather than beauty.
    I think it just plays on your insecurities. Rich is perfectly fine going there by himself, but he's stick thin and when I go there I can feel all my lumps and bumps get ten times bigger, and as though everyone there can see them all.
  • Options
    newsflash - you dont need a gym to lose weight

I'm just going to bow out of the whole brave situation

Of course you don't - but surely they should be absolutely the most welcoming places for absolutely the most obese people? I mean if people being obese is the big problem it is in this country then surely everything should be being done to encourage people to go places where they can get the best advice about physical exercise and nutrition?

I mean ideally, for the few years it'd take to make a difference, wouldn't the ideal thing be that all gyms were absoutely stuffed full of extremely obese people getting the help they need to lose weight?

Or is it that people who currently use gyms would actually prefer it if obese people found somewhere out of sight to lose most of their weight before coming to the gym?
  • Options
    Or is it that people who currently use gyms would actually prefer it if obese people found somewhere out of sight to lose most of their weight before coming to the gym?

Why would people want that? I think it would be nice to see obese people in the gym, who would actually stay and see them progress, and as you said, it would make other obese people feel more comfortable.. so I find that a little provocative comment actually.

Sorry but I can only comment from personal dealings, and every single severely fat or obese person I know, is that way because they are lazy. And not just lazy, they even moan about being sad because of their weight.

They even talk about wanting to lose it, for YEARS. And I mean years, I have friends who keep talking to me about it and asking advice etc, which I go to a lot of time to prepare properly, and it gets pissed up the wall.

They also in some cases I know join the gym, do a few weeks, maybe even a month, and then that it's for another couple of years.

Not because it's not welcoming, because they can't be arsed.

Gyms not being welcoming is just another bullshit reason.

When I go to a lot of gyms, it still feels uncomfortable, if I go to hardcore iron gyms I feel small, weak and inadequate. But if that is all that is there, then I go, and I bust my balls and train and earn peoples respect and it works.

Strongman is the best known event in the UK for being opening to people whether fat or not, they dont give a shit how strong you are either, just put the effort in. Also there are lots of fat powerlifters.

If people took YOUR advice and filled the gyms, then there'd be nothing to worry about would there?

There's nothing stopping two obese people going together or in groups of more.

If worse comes to worse, buy a spinbike or cross trainer for £250 (what I paid for mine) and train in the house, 40 minutes before breakfast 5 times a week and the weight will fall off as long as a decent diet is followed - less than a years gym membership as well! And you can sit there in front of the TV - what could be easier?
  • Options
    On the brave note, I do feel that if people are actually self concious about going to a gym BUT THEY GO, then sense there is a sense of personal bravery there, I conceded to the point you made earlier on that note.

But walking up the street every day for 100 years being so obese you are self concious is not brave, its daft.
  • Options
    As I said in the other thread, I am fattest I have been now and weakest for years, its horrible, I feel like shit, I can't wear half my clothes cos they dont fit right.

But as soon as my injuries are healed, hopefully a week, I'll be hitting it hard, and reckon within 10 weeks I will look so different people would not even believe it.

I will post pics when I do this.
  • Options
    I never feel uncomfortable in the gym, even on my own because I really enjoy it and can lift more than all the other girls there because I am vair vair strong after being a kayaker for years :D I think the gym is one of the only places where I don't feel like people are judging me really. I feel far more uncomfortable and unwelcome in places like New Look!

Cheese on Toast I have a PM for you :)
  • Options
    What I find upsetting - and I may have said this in the other thread - is the pressure to "do something about" my weight. That's partly why I'm just coming out of six years of an eating disorder (and I am fighting not to go back there, which means not pushing to lose weight). I also have health problems that make it more difficult for me to lose weight than the average person, so that combined means that for now the best I can do is to try and keep my weight stable. I still feel judged, ugly, fat, etc. when I go out and frankly it does sometimes take balls to go out (and it's emotional torture to go to the gym because I feel like I'm being laughed at) - so all in all "get some exercise, fatty" is never going to be a helpful attitude.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    so all in all "get some exercise, fatty" is never going to be a helpful attitude.

I don't think that's what they're trying to say.

Yes it's bad that gyms are intimidating for overweight people, but as CheeseOnToast said, it's not neccesary to lose weight. I've developed a bit of a belly recently and I can't afford the Gym so I'm doing exercise at home.

I understand how hard it can be to lose weight, espescially if you love food as much as I do, and I understand that in certain circumstances people have problems which make it harder for them to lose weight than other people.

But the point is, being overweight isn't healthy and it isn't desirable. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. If you are seriously obese, then you should be at least trying to do something about it. I'm not demonising fat people at all, I've put on too much weight myself recently, I'm just saying that for their own health, they should be trying to change.
  • Options
    It's just some of the people on this website seem to believe that because they haven't experienced things first hand - whether it be insults, self confidence issues, or any of the other things we all discuss on here, that they don't exist.
    Who hasn't experienced what now?
    Sorry, but I refuse to accept that having to handle criticism, day in, day out for anything in their lives and still going on as normal cannot be considered as brave.
    I disagree.

There's nothing brave about it at all. Everybody faces criticism at some point in their life for whatever reason. I don't see how there is anything brave about it at all... Another person's opinion of you is only as important as you make it.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    so all in all "get some exercise, fatty" is never going to be a helpful attitude.

It's quite patronising really isn't it that you have summarised everything said into 1 line of complete bullshit, don't you think?

Anyway, for the record, I used a gym about 15 times last year I would guess at the most, the only reason I did use it was when I was trying to recover from injury so I wanted to use the machines there.

I do weights in the outhouse, which now has a missing window and no heating obviously as it's outside, so it's pretty cold and horrible out there, and cardio I do outside or on the x-trainer in the house.

I will be doing the same this year, although I will be going to a boxing gym, but only to use the heavy bags and for the fighting classes (muay thai/BJJ etc)
  • Options
    by the way KHSS I PM'd you back;)
  • Options
    I feel quite confused by the OP's posts on this thread, she talks about how it takes bravery to be fat in todays society then goes on to say that normal daily things such as dining out make her ashamed as such, she will hide away from people and watch what she eats due to being scared of what comments people will make, sorry but to me that isn't bravery thats a cop out!

I have friends of all builds, shapes and sizes and often the bigger friends I know are fitter than the slimmer ones but underlaying health problems are always going to be an issue just like it is for those who have eating disorders such as anorexia which I have fought in the past myself.

People who live with illness and disabilities on a daily basis are brave in my opinion as they have no choice and I do accept the fact that that some overweight people have medical reasons that make it hard or impossible for them to lose weight but those who are overweight due to the lack of willpower and self control have to accept that some people will be prejudiced against them just the same as some people are prejudiced at peoples skin colour, sexuality and nationality to name a few.

People are cruel Fact!

We are all in charge of ourselves. To look after ourselves,achieve the best in life that we can comes down to the individual and as shallow as it is this comes down to appearances more than anything alot of the time, first impressions count for many things such as relationships, acceptance and careers, its a sad fact but true, you have to have a outstanding personality to help people see past that first impression early on.

One of the best come backs I have heard from an overweight friend when someone commented on her size was ' yes I'm fat but I can diet, you're stuck with that face forever'
  • Options
    by the way KHSS I PM'd you back;)
    Yeah I just got it - I have been slovenly and asleep. Mmm, sleep.

I found an exercise bike for £45, is that worth it? I have room here for an exercise bike but not an actual bike, AND I could read on an exercise bike so that's cool. I already have a set of weights etc.
  • Options
    In reality, anything you can get your hands on will do the job, but try it before you buy it so to speak, make sure it has at least bare minimum comfort.

In all honesty, if you can afford it, for around £100 on ebay you'd be better off buying a second hand high grade spin bike
    Buying a Spin Bike by TT

(please note, the following information is merely subjective and is by no means definitive)

As it seems to becoming a FAQ of late I thought I would knock together a little something on buying an exercise bike and more specifically a spinning bike.

Exercise bikes have become popular in gyms and bodybuilding over the years and are generally based around a computerised, plastic covered bike which is often anatomically incorrect and has the ergonomics of a bent, blunt arrow.

I don’t like them – they quickly become boring, the only good ones are very expensive and once they go wrong, you’re screwed unless you’re willing to pay for someone to fix it. All in all, there are better options.

The sport of spinning came about towards the end of the 90s and is massive worldwide now. A spinning bike is completely different to and exercise bike. A spinning bike will have the following:

Heavy metal frame with no fairings or plastic
    A heavy flywheel at the front (exposed)
    It will have handlebars similar to that of a triathlon or time trial road bicycle
    It will share some of the parts of road going bike
    It will be fully adjustable
    It will fit and ride like a road bike
    It will weigh a tonne
    It will not have a computer – simply use a stopwatch and HRM

These bikes new are very expensive in relation to what is expected. £800 gets a nice model, £1200 gets the Rolls Royce……

Turned off now?

Well this is where it gets better. Many gyms sell their old spin bikes when they get new ones in. this means the second hand price is very good. £150-£300 buys an ex commercial £1000 retail bike which will have been maintained and serviced.

What to look for in the bike before purchasing:

Ensure it’s of commercial standard and not a replica
    Ask the weight of the flywheel around 20kg is fantastic and will give a great road like feeling
    Ask if it has been maintained

Once you have decided on your bike and you want to go check it out for the finer details you must look out for a few things, but to be honest most purchased from the net should be fine as they have to meet gym standards for Heath and Safety (so ask if they have been used recently. So look out for:

Bottom bracket wear – check the pedals and cranks turn smoothly and in a straight line
    Check the drive chain or belt is in tat
    Check the saddle and bars are not fused in with sweat and can be adjusted
    Ensure the brake is working (as this applies the resistance)
    Check no sweat corrosion is present on major welded joints

These are the basics and for the more thorough you can check cable wear, bearings, padding and so on.

Which Bikes to go for?

This part is merely subjective and from my experience of riding just about everything to hand. So I suggest if the bike isn’t one of the followings to do some homework on it:

Schwinn
    LeMond
    Star Trac
    Spinner
    Jonny G
    Pulse
    Tomahawk

There are though another couple that are good, just less well know.

What not to buy?

From experience and testing them out, anything from a sports shop or something that seems cheap and new. £100 doesn’t buy you a new spin bike of any note

Where to buy?

In the UK most ex commercial spin bike end up on eBay (the ones that are accessible)
    There are companies who buy them back of gyms but often end up sticking a huge premium on them before placing them on their own sales websites.

What to pay for a spin bike?

A good one will be £150-200 a very good one £300. I have seen them go on eBay far cheaper but expect to put aside £200 with delivery for a nice solid chunk of metal that will last years.

Looking after your bike

Most of the kit on the bike can be purchased from a local quality cycling shop. The working parts are not technical but simply keep them clean and they will serve you well. It you sweat on the bike, wipe the damn thing and spray some WD40 or similar every few weeks. Adjust the seat and bars every 6 weeks or so ensuring you have marked your desired position. This will stop the parts seizing. thats the 2 minute guide!

Addition items to buy

Cycling shorts are great as the saddle is often the same as a road bike. Simple padded cycling shorts (NOT STANDARD LYCRA RUNNING/GYM SHORTS BTW) will be fine
    A Google for probike kit, wiggle or eBay will yield some results. £15 gets you a pair.
    No computer is needed but a HRM may be of use with a watch. These again from eBay of sports shops are cheap
    Lock in ‘clipless’ pedals are great for pedalling dynamics and usually come in the form of shimano spd or ‘look’
    These need specific shoes to fit.
    The bike will have a water bottle cage, simply purchase a bottle to suit.

These are the basics, feel free to ask anything below but should give you some idea of what to buy and not buy.

If you want the definitve guide to spinning (written by me) follow the link below

http://www.completefitnessguide.com/index.php?page=268

it has training, diet, ergonomics, history and equipment help amongst other things!
  • Options
    You don't really need to make everything as complicated as I do, but I enjoy reading about all the different things and I get obsessive with decision making lol
This discussion has been closed.