Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Demonising Fat People" - Appalled by peoples attitudes.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've said it before (admittedly a while ago now...) but I'll say it again - some of the people here REALLY wind me up.

OK it's very much a minority, but some of the people who've replyed to both this thread, and the original one, the ones claiming to hate the narrow mindedness of people, need to rethink some of the things they're saying.

More on topic, I'm not going to use myself as an example here because my weights been ridiculously changeable over the last 7 or so years and I perosnally don't think I'll ever be comfortable. But having watched friends, especially when being at school, having to force them to come in for lessons, because of the ridiculous taunts and bullying they'd get, refusing to go and eat lunch in the dining area with everyone else to avoid the name calling... yeah. I'd say it takes confidence and courage to be anything less than perfect in this world.

And yeah I know whats going to be said "Being at school's different, its kids"

But unfortunetly, some people just don't grow up. I left school about 2 and a half years ago now. And I still get abuse - from people I barely see - about things from then. Hell my cousins 26 and a recovering anorexic and SHE still gets ridiculed about her weight from people who knew her in the past.

It's stupid attitudes like that that cause so many self confidence issues in people of any age.
  • Options
    Nik, thats it we may have to get married. Work, Aber and Joe already think we are gay. SO will you marry me? We can always get you a sex change. xx
  • Options
    Ok i really think i may have used the wrong words there, but at the same time it does take a lot of courage. On par with cancer victims, yes i agree it DOES seem trivial.

Are you kidding me on? My dad has a beer belly and my mum had breast cancer a few years back. You must be on the glue if you think those troubles are on par with each other. If you're fat, there's (usually) stuff you can do about it. How hard it is depends on the reason you're fat in the first place (whether it's you eating a load of crap or bad genes, whatever). If you have cancer on the other hand, whether you live or die is entirely out of your hands.

tl;dr - I'd rather be overweight than have cancer.
    However, take for example going to a restaurant. This is my idea of pure hell on earth. I have to sit in the corner, i wont go to the bathroom and i sure as hell can hardly touch any food that is placed in front of me. Because i know that at least one person will be sat there thinking, oh god look at that fat bastard. How do i know this? Because it happens.

I don't think that when I see fat people eating a regular sized meal. I do think it when I see people walk into McDonalds, order 3 or 4 burgers for themselves, chips, a milkshake and maybe a desert. It's like, holy fuck, you're not even trying. Infact it enrages me when I see parents do this with their fat kids.
    So please dont tell me that it doesnt take courage to be fat. It does.

I'm still saying it doesn't. It's not like you're really *doing* anything. You need to work or go to the shops, so you go out in public and put up with the looks because you have no other choice - this isn't courageous. If you walked around in summer in skimpy clothing, then that would take courage... and even then, only if you were bothered by what other people thought. I seen plenty of fat women walk around in denim skirts and bikini tops in summer. Not exactly attractive, but they're obviously not (that) bothered by what people think or they wouldn't do it. Sure, the constant comments get tiring and you'd rather people didn't, but that's about it. They know what to do if it bothers them *that* much.
    What I AM saying is that instead of being the but of jokes and treated as though we have leprosy, perhaps, just maybe, people could accept that fat people, whether they want to change, cant change it or even dont WANT to change it should be treated like human beings.

I also hate being treated like a lesser person BECAUSE of being fat. I know perfectly well that if i ate less and did more excersise then i would be healthier and thinner, but until the day comes that I actually want to make that change in my life i cant see why I should be ashamed of being who i am.

Well exactly, you shouldn't be ashamed. You should only be ashamed (for want of a better word, but I'm trying to keep the theme going D: ) if you arrive at a conclusion by yourself, not if you're influenced by outside opinion. ie, if you can't stand to look in the mirror, then you should feel ashamed and do something about it. If you like looking in the mirror and do the ocassional spot of singing into a hairbrush infront of it, then fuck what other people think and say.

It's the way the world is really... If people weren't making jokes because of your size, it would be your ginger hair. Or your blonde hair, as eeeveryone knows blondie's are stupid. Or it could be the way you dress, since if you don't dress generic/normal you're a satan worshipping freak. If you're a guy and you wear eyeliner, you're gay. If you're emo or listen to emo music, you're a little whiney bitch. If you listen to death metal, you sacrifice animals. If you have spots, you don't wash. If you happen to believe in Allah since 9/11, you're probably plotting a suicide bomb attack as I type this. If you're a guy with semi long hair, your job options are limited. Same goes for if you dye your hair bright colours, or if you have visible piercings or tats. Same goes if... well, you get the idea.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    More on topic, I'm not going to use myself as an example here because my weights been ridiculously changeable over the last 7 or so years and I perosnally don't think I'll ever be comfortable. But having watched friends, especially when being at school, having to force them to come in for lessons, because of the ridiculous taunts and bullying they'd get, refusing to go and eat lunch in the dining area with everyone else to avoid the name calling... yeah. I'd say it takes confidence and courage to be anything less than perfect in this world.

I can see what you're saying but I disagree with the last bit. Although "Nobody's perfect" sounds like a recycled cliché, it's true. Noone I know really gives a shit about trying to be perfect either except 18 year old girls who are too influenced by what Heat magazine says.

Like I said in the other thread, I get some amount of shit on a daily basis for the way I dress. A group of about 10 - 15 neds tried to start a fight with me on the two minute walk to a local shop on Thursday because I'm a "goff". Even though I'm actually not in the slightest, they just don't have a clue what a they're talking about... Although I guess their ignorance on this matter kind of backs up the point about them not being worth listening to in the first place. Certainly wasn't the first time people have tried to physically fight with me just because I happen to pass them and they don't like how I dress, and it certainly won't be the last. On an average night out (on the journey to the club/bar alone) I get maybe what, five groups of people laughing or making comments? I probably actually get more shit than fat people do, and I've certainly never heard of people starting fights with fat people simply because they're fat (although I did have a fat guy in a club say to me when I was wearing eyeliner "You realise you look gay with all that makeup?", to which I replied "You realise you look like a fat fuck with all that fat, fatty?"... he tried to fight with me outside later on.

Aaanyway I'm slightly deviating from the point. Basically, it doesn't take courage to dress how I dress even though I probably receive more shit than you do. It doesn't take courage because it's my choice to dress this way, the same as it's a fat persons choice to be fat (or more accurately, their choice not do anything about it).

Before anyone starts bitching, I didn't say it's fat peoples' own fault they're that way (regardless of genes/whatever), so don't go down that road.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    and I've certainly never heard of people starting fights with fat people simply because they're fat (although I did have a fat guy in a club say to me when I was wearing eyeliner "You realise you look gay with all that makeup?", to which I replied "You realise you look like a fat fuck with all that fat, fatty?"... he tried to fight with me outside later on.

PMSL!! Good retort.

On the other note about cancer, I think you mis-read her statement as it wasn't worded very well - I think she's saying cancer is NOT on par with being overweight, the same train of thought as yourself :)

And I'm with you, being fat is not brave at all lol. I can't believe someone could even think that.

So are slim people cowards ?? lol

I could use the same twisted argument to say being into diet/exercise is brave, I am constantly ridiculed for eating 6x a day in the office, the weird foods I eat, the fact I refuse cakes/donuts/chocolates on a daily (yes daily) basis when others stuff their faces in front of me.

Man, you know what, I am brave:D :rolleyes:
  • Options
    donuts

Mmmmmm.....Donuts
  • Options
    Well you know what? If you guys have that self confidence, that self satisfaction in life then good for you, but at the end of the day, not everyone does.

That doesn't mean because you don't think it takes them courage to do certain things that it doesn't.

Kiezo, you've basically turned around and made it clear exactly what can happen, by admitting to doing it yourself:
    Kiezo wrote:
    and I've certainly never heard of people starting fights with fat people simply because they're fat (although I did have a fat guy in a club say to me when I was wearing eyeliner "You realise you look gay with all that makeup?", to which I replied "You realise you look like a fat fuck with all that fat, fatty?"..

At the end of the day, yes people do things like that because if a lack of self esteem. But the comment still hurts, it's still uncalled for, more than often a pathetic attempt. But to get it constantly, and still go out and put up with it, takes bravery.

No, it's not like facing cancer, etc etc, but it still takes bravery.
  • Options
    Exactly saz, how very wise you are :D

The act of being fat is not brave or anything of the sort lol.
  • Options
    I hate eating anything when I'm out because if it's something like an apple I think that people think I'm eating it because I'm fat and ought to be on a diet, if it's something like a packet of crisps I think people are looking at me and thinking that I shouldn't eat that because I'm fat.

It's mostly my own perceptions I guess but I'm sure people DO think like that when they see people eating.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Having the X characteristic (whatever that is) and being bothered by the people who pick on you for it is NOT courage.
    Courage is having the X characteristic and doing things however you like, ignoring people who pick on you for it, doing what you want without caring what others think.
  • Options
    I wasn't talking about courage or being brave.

I USED to not care what people thought about me, and now I do and I feel judged about my appearance every time I go outside. People may or may not be judging me, I don't know, but that's how it feels.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I wasn't talking about courage or being brave.
    Sorry, that wasn't a reply to you (or anyone in particular), just my opinion on the braveness discussion that took part above.

By the way, nice to see you back! :)
  • Options
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Is it ok to be eccessively thin? No of course not.
    Is it ok to be eccessively overweight i.e fat? Again no it not, and we should be saying otherwise just to protect peoples feelings.

But it's not alright to demonise fat people either. Nasty insults arn't usually a good way of encouraging people to do something about their problem. If your fat and you worry about what people think, and you worry about your health do something about it, don't argue that it takes courage to be fat and that it's ok to be fat because it doesn't and it's not.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well you know what? If you guys have that self confidence, that self satisfaction in life then good for you, but at the end of the day, not everyone does.

That doesn't mean because you don't think it takes them courage to do certain things that it doesn't.
    Oh please... Stop making a victim out of fat people, it's condescending to those who are overweight and don't give a fuck.

If you have low self-confidence, then you have something in common with many other fat people, thin people, black people, ginger people, spotty people, freckly people ect ect

Self-esteem in fat people is no different to self-esteem in any other group. If you have a poor self image then yes, going out will be harder, but let's not make martyrs out of people who have to leave the house like everybody else, to go to work like everybody else and who may be picked on like a lot of other people (no, I'm not sympathetic... I've grown up around people with disabilities that they cannot change, in most cases people CAN change being fat).

I have nothing against over-weight people and all people are beautiful to me... But I think some people are over-playing the whole 'woe is me for being fat and thus not accepted' card. At least you're not likely to face violence for your weight. People have been murdered for being gay or transgendered for example... Aren't you lucky that's not going to happen to you?

And at the end of the day, why does anyone need other people's approval to be happy?
  • Options
    I could use the same twisted argument to say being into diet/exercise is brave, I am constantly ridiculed for eating 6x a day in the office, the weird foods I eat, the fact I refuse cakes/donuts/chocolates on a daily (yes daily) basis when others stuff their faces in front of me.

Yep, I've seen this happen to people too. People who try to watch what they eat and keep a regular gym routine get mocked for 'wasting their life as they only live once' etc. For girls I've only really seen it as a passing comment, but when guys take care of themselves it's a different story.
    Kiezo, you've basically turned around and made it clear exactly what can happen, by admitting to doing it yourself:

Now who's turning stuff around? I wouldn't have said a word to the guy (or any fat guy) if he hadn't started acting like a dick first - nothing is sacred when someone does that. He didn't want to possibly get his feelings hurt by what I said? Then don't comment on the appearance of other people.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Was having a look through some previous threads when this caught my eye, the thread has been closed now but i really feel as though i have to say something.

Thoughout the thread there are very strong oppinions on fat people, which although people are entitled to freedom of speech, i was shocked and appalled by some of the comments.

As you can probably tell i am pissed off because i am indeed one of these dreaded, feared and disgusting fat people. I am one of these foul people who on a daily basis has to live with the stigma and ridicule of being unnaceptable to a huge proportion of the population.

One of the attitudes in this thread was that a person could not stand to look at someone or even speak to someone, because they were fat. In the same way that our society demands that we be politically correct in regards to foriegn people, or people with disabilities i believe that a similar attitude needs to be adopted towards people that are fat.

And the end of the day, the only thing that genuinely bothers most people is that fat people are different. Whether its through medical conditions, psychological or self esteem issues or just as a general life choice, i cannot see why people assume they have the right to be offensive, abusive and frankly damned well rude to people like me, who i'm afraid exist in this world, who have jobs, families, social lives and basically are exactly the same just lacking a skinny waist.

I am a healthy fat person. I'm not always the happiest person in the world, but then again, i wouldnt be too perky if I were anorexic either. I am intelligent, surprisingly pretty and i have one of the best set of breasts ever.

The only explanation i can find for people who think insulting people who are fat is ok, is that they cant begin to fathom the amount of courage and strength it takes to be something so widely unnaceptable and demonised.

To all these people i'd like to say, hate fat people as much as you want, but we not only are bigger people literally, if you are that predjudiced, we are bigger people metaphorically too. :)

People have their prejudices. That's human nature and the way it is.
  • Options
    This is like the same thread, all over again :p
  • Options
    Ok i really think i may have used the wrong words there, but at the same time it does take a lot of courage. On par with cancer victims, yes i agree it DOES seem trivial.

However, take for example going to a restaurant. This is my idea of pure hell on earth. I have to sit in the corner, i wont go to the bathroom and i sure as hell can hardly touch any food that is placed in front of me. Because i know that at least one person will be sat there thinking, oh god look at that fat bastard. How do i know this? Because it happens.

I've been fat my entire life. I've had pretty much every bitchy, nasty and offensive comment you can think of. I've sat there while and listened to children ask their parents why that lady is so fat. I've heard the remarks at buffets about getting in there quick before the heffer steals all the food. I've had the helpful strangers come up to me in the street and tell me that it would be very easy to loose weight if i just stopped eating. I've been screwed by guys who have been dared by their mates and also the ones who are testing the theory that fat girls will do anything.

So please dont tell me that it doesnt take courage to be fat. It does. I'm not saying that fatness is something to be proud of. I'm not saying that it is something that should be encouraged. It is a dangerous condition for many people and can lead to god knows how many health related and pyschological issues. What I AM saying is that instead of being the but of jokes and treated as though we have leprosy, perhaps, just maybe, people could accept that fat people, whether they want to change, cant change it or even dont WANT to change it should be treated like human beings.

I also hate being treated like a lesser person BECAUSE of being fat. I know perfectly well that if i ate less and did more excersise then i would be healthier and thinner, but until the day comes that I actually want to make that change in my life i cant see why I should be ashamed of being who i am.

So? Some people are mean. Get the heck over it.
  • Options
    kiddranc wrote: »
    So? Some people are mean. Get the heck over it.

But does that make it right? Or are we talking moral absolutes again?
  • Options
    Everyone has insecurities. They can be good if you use them in the right way. The most successful people are often the most insecure. Woody Allen hates his own films, for example, but that's probably the thing that drives him on to make them as good as they are. Another person might have the same insecurity, but it results in them being too insecure to even try in the first place, or too afraid to show them to anyone. And that's just like being fat I suppose. If you're insecure about it, you'll either use it to drive you to "improve" yourself, or you'll retreat into your shell and be afraid to do anything about it, and in this example, probably making it worse as a result.

The key in my opinion, is to be insecure about the things that matter. 1. things you can do something about (no point having insecurities about your height, because it's never going to change), and 2. things that are actually important to your genuine self-worth. Image shouldn't be one of them, but health should.

And I think the main problem that women in particular have, is that in our society, so much of their self-worth and supposed value to society is based on their looks, rather than what they're actually good at. As a bloke, you can say "who gives a shit what I look like, I'm good at sport/intelligent/a talented musician/run a successful business/etc." Whereas a woman seems to need to be good looking in addition to any of those things for anyone to give a shit. In fact, being a good looking tennis player will get you much further than being a good tennis player. Whereas who gave a shit what Michael Schumacher looked like when they made him the richest sportsperson in the world? That's not to say that the likes of weight-gain products and bodybuilding industries aren't propped up on men's insecurities, but it's nowhere near on the same scale.
  • Options
    In fact, being a good looking tennis player will get you much further than being a good tennis player.

I disagree, further in which ways and in whos eyes?

Certainly not further in the world of sports.
  • Options
    Further in terms of money and popularity. Capitalism has that great way of showing society how much it values certain things, and aside from the fact that we bizarrely value a tennis player higher than various other professions, we also value a pretty tennis player higher than an average looking one. Which men's sport do the earnings not generally go up in relation to sporting achievement? You could point out David Beckham as the odd exception, but even he was a European champion and captain of his country for years. Same with films. Pretty girls make the money, good male actors make the money. Not always, but that's the trend imo.
  • Options
    sorry but this is now about looks not just fatness

Lets be honest, if you had two girls, both exactly the same in every way, intelligence, personality etc

But one was much more attractive than the other, which one would you pick?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    As what?
  • Options
    well I was thinking as a partner but as anything LOL
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Oh please... Stop making a victim out of fat people, it's condescending to those who are overweight and don't give a fuck.

I'm not making victims out of anyone, and trust me if I wanted to be condescending I could do and say a lot worse.

It's just some of the people on this website seem to believe that because they haven't experienced things first hand - whether it be insults, self confidence issues, or any of the other things we all discuss on here, that they don't exist. Sorry, but I refuse to accept that having to handle criticism, day in, day out for anything in their lives and still going on as normal cannot be considered as brave. No its not the same as living with a terminal illness, and no one except the people who I've mentioned before seem to think it is. And I don't particularly care what the problem is, I still maintain, if your anything less than perfect in this world and people pick up on it and use it against you regularly then it can take a hell of a lot of courage and bravery to say fuck it and ignore them.

And Kiezo I'm sorry, I understand the wanting to react to abuse, I'm not exactly a calm tempered person myself, but that wasn't so much my point. Not only would it have been easier to have just ignored him or laughed, and walked away knowing you were obviously more secure than him, but reacting back does, like parents always say, makes you as bad. But, because I'm aware whatI've said makes me hypocritical, my main point is - this guy was obviously an idiot, and probably had all sorts to pick at, even if it was just the fact that he felt the need to ridicule you for something - why was his weight the first thing you chose to throw back at him? Because its a physical feature, and an easy one to fault.
  • Options
    But these people aren't saying fuck it are they? so what are you talking about?

And how do you know what we've experienced?

I have been overweight, had self confidence issues and others, and am having some or all of them now!

But it's still not brave to be fat ffs.

We must have a whole nation of brave people lol, us and the states.
  • Options
    But it's still not brave to be fat ffs..

being brave by ignoring someones comments about you being fat is not the same thing as actually being fat is brave.
  • Options
    You know, in fact, wtf is brave about ignoring someones comments?

it's not BRAVE at all.

1. possessing or exhibiting courage or courageous endurance.
    2. making a fine appearance.
    3. Archaic. excellent; fine; admirable

??
This discussion has been closed.