Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Demonising Fat People" - Appalled by peoples attitudes.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    CheeseOn Toast, please don't accuse me of talking complete bullshit. I wasn't disagreeing with you - and for the record, I wasn't accusing anyone of having started the "it's easy just exercise" in this thread.

I was just making some observations and I should have been clearer that I wasn't specifically arguing against anyone. I do worry, however, that even people who are theoretically sympathetic still think that just because being overweight isn't desirable (any more than being underweight is), it should be easy to lose the excess.
  • Options
    I'm not even sure what a spin bike is! I was going to get it from amazon so no chance to try before I buy either :(
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I do worry, however, that even people who are theoretically sympathetic still think that just because being overweight isn't desirable (any more than being underweight is), it should be easy to lose the excess.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Here we go again

Which part is difficult? I accept it's difficult to begin with as it's a big lifestyle change in many cases.

If your body is in a calorific deficit, then it will shed weight... 500 cals a day deficit should equal around 2lb per week loss..

If you eat too much then increase output

Explain to me the difficulty?

No joke, I have put on so much weight in the last 5 weeks since my Op, I reckon I need to shed a good 2 stone before the summer, I haven't actually put effort into losing weight for years but I still have every confidence in the fact it's doable

It's just dedication and commitment to goals

ETA - What does the bold bit I have highlighted above mean exactly?
  • Options
    I'm not even sure what a spin bike is! I was going to get it from amazon so no chance to try before I buy either :(

Well you got two choices girl ;)

At the end of the day, I'm sure it will do the job, to what extent I don't know, but all you need is something basic

TBH I would just go out and do a brisk walk every day before brekkie to get started :)
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    /sticks nose in where its probably not wanted

buuut.. if you've had some sort of operation then you should probably eating more anyway because the body needs more calories for wound healing and exercising could cause more damage than good ;)

Well it depends what operation it was, on many physical operations they say it's good to do gentle exercise to keep the muscles active or something like that. At least that was the case for my brother was his knees. He saw a physio though, so that was prescribed exercise. *sorry for off topic*
  • Options
    Well it was surgery on my groin for torn ligaments/tendons with a plastic mesh put in so no exercise wasn't recommended afterwards LOL

I am 3 weeks behind rehab schedule because I've been looking after the house and my kid too

Rachie - you can stick your bits in whenever you want ;):heart:

Agreed on keeping the cals up though, but I have basically completely thrown my diet out of the window and entered into a 6 week alcohol and shit food binge, been tee total off the drink now for 2 weeks nearly, and diet is nearly returning to normal... thank god!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Demonising fat people isn't right but neither is saying being fat is OK. Being fat IS a negative thing, it's a health issue. Same with smoking.
    If you don't like that fact then do something about it. It takes effort to lose weight and become healthy but it's far easier than trying to convince society that being fat is ok
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Well you got two choices girl ;)

At the end of the day, I'm sure it will do the job, to what extent I don't know, but all you need is something basic

TBH I would just go out and do a brisk walk every day before brekkie to get started :)
    I think I'll get the £45 and pedal extra hard. This is in addition to gym though, but it's not always possible to get there.
  • Options
    I think I'll get the £45 and pedal extra hard. This is in addition to gym though, but it's not always possible to get there.

Sounds like a plan, good on ya!

It's not that it won't work you out well it's just a comfort factor etc :)
  • Options
    OK so I am not obese...I am however approaching the overweight mark and as an asthmatic have been told to watch it! I have finished at university and whilst there the comfort of junk food and often the easy nature of grabbing crisps etc prior to a lesson. I didn't intentionally put on weight and go up 3 dress sizes in four years but it happened. I always stayed active and am certainly not lazy although I know I can do more to help myself. I am willing to try anything to be happy with my body...well actually rephrase that to be a betterperson. I am happy with my bod but parents and other half complaining about my weight gives me that extra push to do something. I do feel stigma however is a lot to do with it. When I was size 12 I was called fat by people at school and that actually caused me to go the other way rather than starve. I know teach and take nasty comments against any child seriously but sometimes a bit of inner strenght needs to come out...you need to have confidence in yourself and ignore some of the petty comments as hard as it is...do not take them to heart its not worth it...do you really think that person is dwelling on what they said.....no not at all!

It doesn't take courage but it does take personal strength to overcome the comments much to teh fact everyone will encounter different situations and milestones if thats yours then thats your personal target but not courage or even bravery especially against those e.g. Madelines parents who really show courage. I thought I needed courage to walk into an interview and not faint...but thats my personal goal and other people will encounter much worse...it can't be compared.

What I am trying to say is see both sides...I can't stand seeing lazy, fat, arrogant people who do not want to overcome the issue e.g. lose weight...go for a few walks.

My asthma has got bad and I cannot run or do vigorous exercise but I can go for long walks, go swimming or do some housework...its not that hard. I can cut out on choccy, crisps and crap...my new saying is "a moment on the lips a lifetime on the hips" how true it certainly prevents me from eating crap! And then there is Gorgon Brown saying people who lead unhealthy lifestyles should not receive NHS care...not that I fully agree but latest figures showed obese people in future will stretch the NHS to breaking point. I consider myself to be fat and I am working towards my personal goal and getting there...its not hard you know!
  • Options
    Great post *DEVIL* :)
  • Options
    I thought I'd post in here rather than creating a new thread but it may just be me but does there seem greater emphasis on losing weight on the boards now? I agree with exercise but sometimes it seems like a trigger for ED's. Not saying I'm right or anything so feel free to disagree. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    I thought I'd post in here rather than creating a new thread but it may just be me but does there seem greater emphasis on losing weight on the boards now?

its every where not just on these boards. people are confounded with it all the time so its bound to reflect in their opinions and what they write. loosing weight tends to be heralded as a good thing but despite being true for some people is mostly just media hype and yes it does trigger EDs in some people unfortunately.
  • Options
    it seems like a sensitive issue so i dunno if that thread is good or bad really..people just feel shite this time of year
  • Options
    I think if you read the threads more carefully nearly everyone states "I have been wanting to do this for a while" or something similar

IMO now a few people have started saying it, everyone else has come up with their feelings.

Also, I feel the threads can be a positive influence, as people can see what they should really be doing, i.e. not starving themselves and shoving fingers down throat etc.

Another point is that if a thread on a forum triggers an eating disorder, then there are clearly underlying issues which need to be addressed.
  • Options
    Ok...well I hope it gets closely monitored and doesn't turn into some weight loss comp.
  • Options

Another point is that if a thread on a forum triggers an eating disorder, then there are clearly underlying issues which need to be addressed.

Eating disorders are never about food - that is merely the focus.
  • Options
    Ok...well I hope it gets closely monitored and doesn't turn into some weight loss comp.

Don't worry - it is being - whilst we wouldn't stop people posting on the subject we're not about to ignore the risks it creates
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Don't worry - it is being - whilst we wouldn't stop people posting on the subject we're not about to ignore the risks it creates

im glad. i know i'm being overly sensitive but i just didnt like the way the weight loss thread popped up every time i click knew posts. i know it's a really active topic and there isn't a way to stop it. it just seems a bit constant.
  • Options
    im glad. i know i'm being overly sensitive but i just didnt like the way the weight loss thread popped up every time i click knew posts. i know it's a really active topic and there isn't a way to stop it. it just seems a bit constant.

:yes: Me too. It good that people want to make positive changes but I do think it has the potential to get bitchy or over-compeitive.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    loosing weight tends to be heralded as a good thing but despite being true for some people is mostly just media hype and yes it does trigger EDs in some people unfortunately.

It's not simply loosing weight, it's about being healthy as far as I'm concerned
    Eating more healthily, exercising and taking care of yourself SHOULD be heralded as a good thing. That's not going to cause eating dissorders though insulting people, and demonising them for their weight might.

The message that it's ok to be fat is not a good one. Lets not pretend it is.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    lol, we have a forum specially for people to discuss drug exploits but one thread about losing weight is highlighted as a possible risk

Oh the irony.
  • Options
    lol, we have a forum specially for people to discuss drug exploits but one thread about losing weight is highlighted as a possible risk

Oh the irony.

I would say there's a risk it could be used by some poster to abuse others over their weight. I hope that doesn't happen.

But positive talk and discussion about people's worries and safe and effective ways to make them selves healthier is not a bad thing. I'd find it ridiculous if we can't talk about things like that without fear of upsetting 'fat' people.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    What i have seen increasing amounts of lately, averagely more so than when i was first around these boards, is people think that should just dump theire calorie intake to 1,100/1,200 calories a day and exercise like buggery, which doing both at extremes, can be quite bad for you.
  • Options

Oh the irony.

i was just voicing my opinion that it's a sensitive issue and i dont find it particularly helpful that when i click new posts this one always comes up and is a constant reminder. if you dont understand that then whatever
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    I'd hardly say people were competing with each other. Its just a thread where people can come for support and encouragement. When trying to lose weight, it is so so easy to give up so its nice to come to a place where people can motivate you. Also, its probably active because most people will probably have set New Year's Resolutions to lose weight and most people give up that resolution after a while so it will probably quieten down soon :p I've been losing weight since July so its an ongoing thing for me :) I like going in that thread because I can get advice about certain exercises and stuff from people who have knowledge. Its easier having one thread, rather than loads of little ones. If that happened, people would only whinge anyway :)

Exactly. i felt that the original "demonising fat people" thread showed that there are alot of people on these boards who feel strongly about changing things for themselves, people who feel that the boards help them and who draw support, knowledge and strength from the boards. Weight loss is a sensitive issue and the ongoing thread seemed a good way for people to get that, the same as in every other thread where people need help or advice. I can't see it turning into a competition or crossing into unhealthy boundaries coz it's moderated same as all the other threads....plus people step in and say if they think something is unhealthy or wrong.

It's not hugely different to a slimming club is it? and it is no different to the self harm thread, just coz it comes up as having new posts in it doesn't mean that everyone is going to be bothered by it - people might not want to be reminded of that either.
  • Options
    i was just voicing my opinion that it's a sensitive issue and i dont find it particularly helpful that when i click new posts this one always comes up and is a constant reminder. if you dont understand that then whatever

Constant reminder of what? That you shouldn't be obese?

I think most people are aware of that
  • Options
    Constant reminder of what? That you shouldn't be obese?

I think most people are aware of that

Don't be crass.

People with issues about their weight may not appreciate that thread popping up every time they log into thesite. I'm well aware that nothing can be done but it was just a point I was making. I'm sure some other posters feel the same.
  • Options
    Don't be crass.

People with issues about their weight may not appreciate that thread popping up every time they log into thesite. I'm well aware that nothing can be done but it was just a point I was making. I'm sure some other posters feel the same.

I'm not being crass, I really don't get what kind of twisted logic you are employing.

Well as said previously, people are dealing with relationship problems, self harm issues, drug problems etc

So what would you suggest, no threads at all that might affect people with problems? Or just people with weight problems?

I don't know if you noticed but most of the threads on this site are of that nature.

Other posters feeling the same means nothing, look how many people voted Bush in
  • Options
    :rolleyes:

I picked that thread in particular because it was constantly active. Much like the 'what are you listening to now?' thread. I'm not suggesting anything just wondering what other people thought. The only thing I was stating was that me, for myself..personally!!.. it put a dampener on my visit here because whenever I clicked view new posts there was a weight loss thread. That is my own view point so maybe you can stop getting so defensive and drop it.
This discussion has been closed.