Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anyone ever done this...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...Picture this. You're out on a drunken friday night. All your mates have pulled or have their girlfriends with them, and with the effect of the alcohol, you feel particularly lonely and left out. So, when you get home, you start thinking about how you can change things, and decide to text some girl in your phone who you maybe met a while back but never really thought twice about. Maybe she isn't perfect, and maybe you'll get a bit of stick from your friends because she's a bit of a munter or something, but you think she's okay and your tired of being alone right now. Then, the next morning they've text back and you think "oh shit, what did I do that for, I'm gonna get laughed down for going out with her", so you give her some bullshit excuse like "oh my friend nicked my phone and started texting everyone for a laugh, sorry about that", then you live with the guilt for a few days. The thing is you do actually like this person, you're just afraid of what others would think if you went out with them. Well, I must have done that a few times in my life and admittedly, it's very shallow and very pathetic, but the drunkeness brings it out. Well, this weekend, I think that for once, I was on the receiving end of such an act.

I had added my recruitment agent to my facebook and sent a couple of messages to her previously and when she asked why I had added her, I didn't hesitate to tell her that I had taken a bit of a shine to her when she had interviewed me. She seemed to take the compliment okay, but at the same time didn't seem particularly interested. Fair enough, I thought. Anyway, I checked my facebook saturday afternoon, and she had sent a message to me at 2.00 am. T'was a very flirty message asking if I wanted to watch the rugby final with her, kiss kiss, bla bla, etc... Anyway, I said I had plans, but thanks for the offer - If you do want to do something sometime though, just text me. I didn't hear a peep until I checked this morning, and she had sent me a message saying a friend had guessed her password and sent silly messages to some of her friends. I immediately thought "ahh that old chestnut!". I am convinced this is a case of what I described above. I reckon she woke up the next day and thought something along the lines of "Oh no, why'd I do that. Nothing can happen hear - I'm 2 years older than him, I'm his agent etc", and then she needed 2 days to come up with the old excuse. Anyway, I was tempted to bring it all up, but thought "nah it's not worth it", so I just took it on the chin and replied back "ahh, don't worry about it, no problem". Since then, we've been messaging all day and the convo has been getting deeper, and I'm convinced she's into me. Another sign was that she emailed me about a job earlier, when in the past she has always called me. To embarressed to call? I dunno.

Now, I know this all seems like child's play, messing around with daft messages and stuff, but I actually really like this girl and we actually seem to have loads in common. We're into the same music, sport and going out to the same sort of places etc, so I actually really want to do something about this. How do I crack her? What's my next move? Has anyone else had similar experiences? Thanks for any advice...

Comments

• Options
    I dunno, but if You don't I will!!
  • Options
    I dunno, but if You don't I will!!

You will what?! :confused:
  • Options
    ...Picture this. You're out on a drunken friday night. All your mates have pulled or have their girlfriends with them, and with the effect of the alcohol, you feel particularly lonely and left out. So, when you get home, you start thinking about how you can change things, and decide to text some girl in your phone who you maybe met a while back but never really thought twice about. Maybe she isn't perfect, and maybe you'll get a bit of stick from your friends because she's a bit of a munter or something, but you think she's okay and your tired of being alone right now. Then, the next morning they've text back and you think "oh shit, what did I do that for, I'm gonna get laughed down for going out with her", so you give her some bullshit excuse like "oh my friend nicked my phone and started texting everyone for a laugh, sorry about that", then you live with the guilt for a few days. The thing is you do actually like this person, you're just afraid of what others would think if you went out with them. Well, I must have done that a few times in my life and admittedly, it's very shallow and very pathetic, but the drunkeness brings it out. Well, this weekend, I think that for once, I was on the receiving end of such an act.
    There were a few threads on here a few months ago asking if people cared what others thought of their bf/gf (or people they pull), and the general consensus was that people couldn't care less what anyone else thinks of their bf/gf. I find this surprising, to me it is massively important. I once went out with a girl who most people wouldn't consider attractive. I got a lot of stick for it and ultimately ended up embarrassed to be with her. I'm now going out with a rather stunning girl, looks like a model/footballer's wife, and as a result have received massive praise - guys and girls alike thinking there must be something quite special about me to have bagged a girl like that. I'm proud to take her out, show her off, introduce her to my friends and work colleagues, comfortable that she'll make a good impression which will rub off well on me. Don't worry if it's 'shallow' or 'pathetic', it's the way the world works, being with stunners gets you respect, being with munters does the opposite. Sorry for going off on a tangent!

Anyway, onto your situation, if you get a flirty msg and then a bit later the fob off 'oh my mate hacked in', it doesn't necessarily mean they thought it was a bad idea and were drunk, it could mean they got the impression you're not interested if you either don't reply in time or reply 'what'? I use "that old chesnut" a bit and basically hope for a positive response, if I don't get one I'd claim it was someone else lol.
  • Options
    Thanks Ricardo, I think you actually make some decent points in there...
  • Options
    You will what?! :confused:

Lick Her :p
  • Options
    Lick Her :p

Hmmm, okay :)
  • Options
    She wouldn't keep texting you if she wasn't into you Luke.

If you're really into her then go for it. Do you want to be old and lonely thinking what if....?

I remember a thread you made before about things your were sorry about or regretted in some way. In a years time you might be writing another list and saying how you regretted not asking her out, do you really want that ?

There isnt anything wrong with being picky about your women, or worrying about what others may think, that doesn't make you shallow. But don't let other people opinions dictate your choices, because at the end of the day if your full of regret there is nobody else to blame.

Life's to short man. :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    She wouldn't keep texting you if she wasn't into you Luke.

If you're really into her then go for it. Do you want to be old and lonely thinking what if....?

I remember a thread you made before about things your were sorry about or regretted in some way. In a years time you might be writing another list and saying how you regretted not asking her out, do you really want that ?

There isnt anything wrong with being picky about your women, or worrying about what others may think, that doesn't make you shallow. But don't let other people opinions dictate your choices, because at the end of the day if your full of regret there is nobody else to blame.

Life's to short man. :thumb:

Very wise words.
  • Options
    Sounds like she likes you, try and have a bit more self confidence!

Like Calvin said, it's not shallow to be led by what others say but you've got a good head on your shoulders and you're able to deal with it maturely.

Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    Thanks guys...

Calvin - I remember that post. I actually feel so much better for letting go of all that stuff. So yeah, maybe I should just do it...
  • Options
    well i remember in my school days we used to use the old 'my friend took my phone etc...' line if we liked someone and they rejected us aswell. Could that be a possibility since you said you couldnt watch the rugby?
  • Options
    Most unbelievable line ever. I can't believe people still use this one! What about going for the 'potentially ambiguous invitation' approach? Then, if you have misread (which I think is unlikely), you've still got a get-out option to save face?

Why is it that as a society we can't cope with the rejection of our initial romantic advance and so often have to perpetrate an excuse for our obviously 'sinful' behaviour?!?
  • Options
    Yeah, well I didn't think I had rejected her. I just said I have plans, but if you wanna do something sometime then text me. I thought it was all pretty harmless. But then, the more I looked at it, the more I thought "Oh shit, this girl has asked me out, I said no and now I've f**king blown it".

Shit...
  • Options
    But then, the more I looked at it, the more I thought "Oh shit, this girl has asked me out, I said no and now I've f**king blown it".

Shit...

there's still time to turn it around! :)
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Don't worry if it's 'shallow' or 'pathetic', it's the way the world works, being with stunners gets you respect, being with munters does the opposite.

Fucking hell you must have a shallow circle of friends, I'm glad mine aren't like that. With my friends it doesn't matter what you or your other half look like, you'll get respect if you're a decent, likable person with a sense of humour, and if you're not a decent person it doesn't matter whether you look like a supermodel we won't bother with you

And in all honesty I'd rather spend my life with someone I care about than get 'respect' from other people. Fucks sake
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Fucking hell you must have a shallow circle of friends, I'm glad mine aren't like that. With my friends it doesn't matter what you or your other half look like, you'll get respect if you're a decent, likable person with a sense of humour, and if you're not a decent person it doesn't matter whether you look like a supermodel we won't bother with you

And in all honesty I'd rather spend my life with someone I care about than get 'respect' from other people. Fucks sake
    :yes:
  • Options
    If you're going out with someone, it shouldn't matter whether your friends think she's hot or not. If it bothers your friends that much - perhaps it's time to get some new friends?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    there's still time to turn it around! :)

Ideas? Just ask her out?!
  • Options
    Basically... yeah!

What's the worst that could happen?!?
  • Options
    Ideas? Just ask her out?!

yeh just ask her out..something causal like, "fancy going for a drink sometime?" you have nothing to lose have you! good luck :)
  • Options
    Dunno. I'll sleep on it and do something tomorrow. Even know it's her who's shown the interest in me, this voice in my head keeps saying "out of your league, out of your league". I mean, she is hot. But maybe this is just a confidence thing because I've been single a while...
  • Options
    Dunno. I'll sleep on it and do something tomorrow. Even know it's her who's shown the interest in me, this voice in my head keeps saying "out of your league, out of your league". I mean, she is hot. But maybe this is just a confidence thing because I've been single a while...

whyyyyyyyyyy are you gona sleep on it! get it over and done with. ya know even if she says no, you're not the first guy and certianly not the last to be rejected. Don't take it personally, we just all have our different types! BUT she might actually say yes! I mean we can't really predict it but she has been continuing to e-mail you lots so to me that sounds like a good sign. Just do iitttttt :razz:
  • Options
    whyyyyyyyyyy are you gona sleep on it! get it over and done with. ya know even if she says no, you're not the first guy and certianly not the last to be rejected. Don't take it personally, we just all have our different types! BUT she might actually say yes! I mean we can't really predict it but she has been continuing to e-mail you lots so to me that sounds like a good sign. Just do iitttttt :razz:

Okay ;)
  • Options
    yeh just ask her out..something causal like, "fancy going for a drink sometime?" you have nothing to lose have you! good luck :)

^^^^

Wise words, Oh great one :D

Seize the day Luke. No regrets. :thumb:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »

I've got a wide range of friends, different backgrounds, social circles, attitudes, and it's always been the same thing regarding their reaction and what they think of me based on who I'm with. C'mon, if you're the guy that pulls a whale at a club you're gonna get stick for it, don't deny that. And in a professional/work environment it can matter massively. Like my first girlfriend I was too embarrassed to ever take out with my business clients in case she acted weird or blurt out something offensive, my current gf my clients find an absolute pleasure to be in her company which rubs off well on me. Welcome to the real world.
  • Options
    Erm, sorry but WHAT?!?

I agree that in a lot of social groups, if you go out and pull a 'whale' as you so delicately put it - there would very likely be several individuals who take the piss for some time after. That's completely different.
    Pulling a girl in a club is completely different to entering into a long-term relationship with them. If you would seriously look down on someone purely because they're dating someone who doesn't meet your 'high' expectations in the looks department - you strike me as a very shallow individual.
    Okay, fair enough, you wouldn't take someone out with a potential business partner who's a complete fruitcake - but if you needed a trophy girlfriend, why were you dating her in the first place? Also, surely behaving in an acceptable manner has nothing to do with looks? Or do supermodels get told which fork to use, and 'whales' don't?
  • Options
    Okay, fair enough, you wouldn't take someone out with a potential business partner who's a complete fruitcake - but if you needed a trophy girlfriend, why were you dating her in the first place? Also, surely behaving in an acceptable manner has nothing to do with looks? Or do supermodels get told which fork to use, and 'whales' don't?
    By attractive/stunning I'm referring to the whole package - looks, being nice/friendly, fun, polite etc. If you're going out with a girl who is 'the whole package' that looks good for you. If you're not, and that includes dating a beautiful girl who has clear issues/insecurities, then that doesn't. Hmm I don't have any "unattractive" friends, they're by no means all models but nobody I know is overweight or uncouth for example - maybe down to similarly attractive people naturally forming social groups together? You don't have many friendship groups where some are supermodels and others fat whales, just like science geeks don't hang out with 'jocks'. Add to that there were very few fat people at my uni - probably partly down to how we had gruelling interviews and the tutors have a natural bias to attractive people, and in my workplace unattractive people don't exist, as clients wouldn't want them - which is why there's attractive girls everywhere!
  • Options
    By attractive/stunning I'm referring to the whole package - looks, being nice/friendly, fun, polite etc. If you're going out with a girl who is 'the whole package' that looks good for you. If you're not, and that includes dating a beautiful girl who has clear issues/insecurities, then that doesn't. Hmm I don't have any "unattractive" friends, they're by no means all models but nobody I know is overweight or uncouth for example - maybe down to similarly attractive people naturally forming social groups together? You don't have many friendship groups where some are supermodels and others fat whales, just like science geeks don't hang out with 'jocks'. Add to that there were very few fat people at my uni - probably partly down to how we had gruelling interviews and the tutors have a natural bias to attractive people, and in my workplace unattractive people don't exist, as clients wouldn't want them - which is why there's attractive girls everywhere!

Meanwhile there is a 'social group' across the table from yours looking at you lot and thinking you're all munters (and male equivilents of munters) :lol:

Attractiveness is an opinion after all.
  • Options
    RaggyDoll wrote: »
    Meanwhile there is a 'social group' across the table from yours looking at you lot and thinking you're all munters (and male equivilents of munters) :lol:

Attractiveness is an opinion after all.
    Yeah lol absolutely!! At uni there was a social group of proper alpha male/females - public school rugby boys, absolutely stunning girls, I didn't quite fit in there and am in a slightly less attractive group of people. Welcome to the real world...
  • Options
    and in my workplace unattractive people don't exist, as clients wouldn't want them - which is why there's attractive girls everywhere!

Are you some sort of pimp or something?

Anyway, the new girl at work I find really nice looking - she's not fat but every Tom, Dick and Harry says I could do better. I'm not bothered in all honesty, I'm scared incase she doesn't like me back because physically she's totally the sort of girl I've gone for in the past.