Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wenger reveals torment

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
An article on Skysports has this story that Arsene Wenger hates telling players they are not wanted. Before reading it i thought to myself " Who has he told he doesnt want / doesnt want now!? " .. Upon reading it i find the following :
The Arsenal manager faces his former captain, Patrick Vieira, when Juventus come to Highbury next week in the quarter final first leg of the UEFA Champions League, and Wenger has admitted that telling the Frenchman he was not wanted, after nine years at the club, was one of the hardest moments of his managerial career.

As an Arsenal fan i feel outraged. Am i to take this to mean that the club i follow didnt want their best player? .. Seems so. That says an aweful lot about Arsenal and the people who run it in my book. I am very disappointed and angry after reading that. Do excuse me for feeling so livid that the club didnt want their most outstanding player, who in the previous says was talked about costing £30 million only to go for £13. All makes sense now doesnt it!

The way i read it originally when Viera first moved was that Juve were intereted in him and subsequently bought him for £13.5 million. Now it seems that Arsenal just didnt want him. Hmf...

Thoughts?

[and of course this now has me wondering again about RvN's situation at Man U .. could Sir Alex be doing a similar thing to him?]
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    When it comes to money, and getting the value for money, I think by selling him (Vierra), it was a smart move. As he gets older, his value would have dropped - and has he really done well where he's gone? (I could be proved wrong here)

The board probably knew this as much as Wenger, and getting rid of him sooner rather than later (not because he wasn't wanted, but because he would rake in cash), seemed an ideal situation.

But yes, why RvN is on the bench, I don't know. Although Saha has stepped in nicely. But RvN must be pissed off. No wonder he's got such a long face!
  • Options
    To be quite honest, I'd trust Wenger's opinion more than a fan's.

The fan doesn't see what goes on behind the scenes, the fan doesn't see everything. I still get the feeling Wenger knows something that he isn't letting on about Vieira- nothing personal, I just get the feeling Wenger has an opinion on Vieira's performance. I certainly think Vieira became very stale during his last season at Highbury.

I'd trust the manager who's worked with him for ten years, to be honest. Wenger isn't stupid, he wanted his best player. He just didn't feel Vieira was that man anymore.

As for RvN, perhaps Fergie doesn't think he's the player he was. It's his opinion, and he doesn't get it wrong too often. Saha certainly seems to be bringing the best out of Rooney, who is Man United's best player by far.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

As for RvN, perhaps Fergie doesn't think he's the player he was. It's his opinion, and he doesn't get it wrong too often. Saha certainly seems to be bringing the best out of Rooney, who is Man United's best player by far.

Exactly. It's more for the benefit of Rooney. People forget how good a player Saha is. His goals per game record is the best at the club this season. He's pacy, plays one touch, and is good in the air. He doesn't have the predatory instincts of Ruud but he offers a different dimension to the team. We've got good competition up front, Rossi is knocking on the door. I'm still a big fan of Ruud though, and I hope he stays at the club.
  • Options
    Yeah im not angry or anything by this. I think as Kermits said, his performancelevel was starting to drop season by season and i think his physical condition was something that was a worry to Wenger, sure i read about Vieira's dodgy knee or something.

Anyway it was sad to see him go, but the money was probably the best we could of got i think. But were building without him now and things look really promising for the future :D
  • Options
    Arsene knows. :yes: