Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Health Care: America versus the UK

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    diddlybop wrote: »
    the same effect can be achieved by just shooting all ill people. ULTIMATE CURE!!!

Suggested that. Euthanasia is cheap health care. Sadly the patient/carers forums don't seem to like the concept, for some strange reason...
  • Options
    Here a measure for you:

1. How did you feel before the treatment?

2. How did you feel afterwards?

If the answer to question 2 isn't some form of "better" then I don't really care what scientific evidence you can show me that it "should" work, it clearly didn't.

You know that surgery doesn;t always work, don't you. You know that a [medically proven] course of tablets doesn;t always work either. Yet you seem to put much store in them because they are based on "science".
    What are you on about? Of course everyone knows that drugs don't always work. There are millions of variables that can affect the way a drug might work. That doesn't mean that on the whole, we know for a fact that they cure or help control the things they're supposed to, as well as knowing the scientific reasons for it. As well as them having passed double-blind clinical tests that show them working on a large scale.
    How is that different from making them "feel" better, through homeopathy?
    Homeopathy doesn't make people feel better, placebo does. Homeopathy creates the placebo effect, but it is always the latter that is providing the treatment, make no mistake. But judging by this thread, you and I agree on this.
    You know what the "placebo" effect is, don't you?

It's something happening which science cannot explain. It's proof that the abscence of anything scientific has made a "difference". Which is why scientists are dismissive of the impact... they just don't understand it.
    Placebo doesn't refer to any unknown improving of a patients condition. It's quite clearly defined as improvement to the patient's condition through power of suggestion from an authority figure. When has this effect ever been dismissed by scientists? It is a well known practice, and is actually used as a yardstick when measuring the effectiveness of other unknown treatments such as homeopathy (which have always been proved on average to have no benefits over and above what one would normally expect to see from the placebo effect). To claim that scientists dismiss it is simply wrong. On the contrary, they understand it quite well. And the job of people like you (?) is to find the most cost effective way of administering this, which from what I can tell, isn't homeopathy.

Incidentally, did you know that the placebo effect can work in the reverse fashion too, in order to nullify the effectiveness of a regular drug? If someone is convinced that a drug isn't going to help them, then it just might not. This could go a long way to explaining a lot of people for whom the normal drug doesn't do what it's supposed to, but the alternative treatment works. It could even explain why a placebo pill (believed to be the real thing) would not work, whereas the alternative treatment would. The best thing I read in the last few days though was that a patients given a placebo pill that is claimed to be a previous treatment can actually experience the same side effects that they did from the genuine pill (which makes me wonder how many side effects are caused by the genuine pill, and how many are caused by the doctor telling you that you could have side effects :chin: It's getting complicated). Just goes to show the power of the human mind, I guess. But for a treatment that therefore effectively requires nothing other than a figure in authority telling you something, £80 seems an awful lot to me.
    Option A
    £80 on an homeopathic treatment which seem to have a positive effect

Option B
    £160, four times per year, for the rest of the patients life on a "scientific" treatment.

I choose to pay for Option A, you want Option B.
    I want option C, which is the same as option A without all of the extra costs related to pandering to the mumbo-jumbo these people come out with. As I said, £80 for someone to bullshit you for an hour seems quite expensive to me. Hell, I never got that much for doing the same job at Currys.
    No, you must have mistaken medical science for miracle workers.

When you can tell me how we can "cure" Chronic Pain, Mental Health, COPD, Heart Disease, Epilepsy, Lympoedema, Diabetes and all the other "long term conditions", then I'll agree with you.
    You provide them with treatments that are chemically proven to relieve these conditions (and placebo is a chemically proven effect afaik - it's just a result of entirely self-produced chemicals rather than external ones in pill form - obviously different levels of understanding exist in regards to different illnesses). In the meantime, you put huge funding into researching treatments and cures that work. And I suggest the first place to look would be actually inside the physical laws of this universe, rather than making up your own.
    Until that point our job is to "treat" people to make them feel better. Sometimes you cannot cure something, sometimes you treat the symptoms, sometimes you just make someone's life pain free because there is nothing else you can do.
    In which case, you have to do it in the most cost effective way, and I honestly can't believe you think that expensive homeopathy clinics are the most cost effective way to deliver the placebo effect to patients.

But yeah, I'd genuinely be interested to know what other instances that the NHS would resort to placebos as a form of treatment, the type of alternative treatments these might be, as well as the costs of them if you happen to have that information. I know that sugar pills, for example, are extremely cheap, and just as effective (i.e. quite effective for a minority of people with certain conditions).
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree, but unlike things like massage or similar you could do a double blind trial on homeopathy. And if it proves that its the talking and not the water which is the effective part then surely that would be good to know so we can concentrate on that rather than diluting things 1 million times.

the only reason homeopathy 'works' for people is because unlike the average 8minute GP trip, a trip to a homeopathic snak oil salesman is 45mins long - this has been shown, it's a sign that people should be able to spend longer talking about their problems with their GP rather than saying homeopathy works

the sham of homepathic malaria treatments annoys me emmensely, because unlike most stress related illness they put people lives at risk by not even providing the the single msot effective medical advice which is using a mosquito net

i dont get how people promote homeoppathy, it's promoting systematic lying to the patient, a normal drug can't say that due to safety reasons, homeopathic remedies are all just lactose powder or water/alcohol
  • Options
    Please tell me how i induced the "placebo effect" on my 6 year old son, to cure his skin condition, when he didnt even know what the fuck i was giving him?
  • Options
    Please tell me how i induced the "placebo effect" on my 6 year old son, to cure his skin condition, when he didnt even know what the fuck i was giving him?

Presumably you took him for a consultation, and presumably you gave him "something" that was supposed to help him? And that consultation didn't take place in that nasty doctors where he got all those injections and nasty tasting medicines. It would be stupid of me to speculate about a particular case, which I know nothing about (and conveniently you do, so you can say "I'm right because I was there and no-one else knows what happened" and don't have to provide any independent examples for us all to see), because there's a chance that this may also have been one of the rare coincidences where something just clears up naturally. I don't have to know why your son was cured to know that it is not a result of the "water memory" theory that breaks all known scientific laws in this area.
  • Options
    I took him for a consultation which was basically the homeopath chatting to him in a room for a while about things that interested him, his dreams, his favourite foods - to get a jist of his personality type.
    A few days later she gave me a remedy, one small pillule a day for 3 days.
    Within 3 days it cleared up.
    If it was the placebo effect, I think the condition would have cleared up with the various creams id tried before because I did WANT them to work, and I told him they were to help make the spots go away but they didnt.
    When he started the homeopathic treatment it started clearing up the same day, and was gone by the end of the treatment. I was surprised myself by how well it worked.

I recommended it to a friend whos 7 year old daughter had the same condition but worse and hers cleared up within 24 hours. She was amazed.

Your description of what you think my sons experience of doctors is like is wrong. He hasnt had bad experiences of doctors, he was quite happy to take his banana flavoured medicine last time he was prescribed that, and he cant even remember his last vaccination, so its certainly not that.

if you believe a 6 year old can cure his own warts by the power of my mind and his own mind then Why is that less far fetched than homeopathy in your mind.
    Has the "placebo effect" passed double blind scientific trials?

I would suggest that next time youre ill, have a look into homeopathy and you might be surprised (even if you didnt want to admit to it)

Im not against medicine at all. Its a wonderful thing that we have access to it, but in a lot of cases its not necessary because there are more natural ways of curing a lot of things with no side effects.

Im not even all into complementary therapies necessarily either. i had reiki for example and got nothing from it at all.
  • Options
    Suzy; No one is suggesting that Homeopathy doesnt work (for some) - what people are saying is that for its 'water memory' theory to work we have to rewrite virtually everything we know about chemisty and physics. Which of course you dont really care about if your little kid gets better. But, if the NHS is going to spend money on a treatment it should be properly tested.
  • Options
    Homeopathy is a load of new age shite and the tax payer shouldn't fund it at all.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Though strangely in the field of hospices they are WAY behind us, up until recently there wasnt even one childrens hospice in the whole US (there might not even be one now).

There are childrens hospices in america, i live there. but childrens operations are overpriced and understaffed. i hate america, they charge a hell of a lot of money for anything. They bankrupted me, i couldnt get insurance, i had an expensive operation, and i need a lot of medical equipment. like a $75,000 hospital bed cause they dont give a fuck about any disabled people, a $25,000 power chair (so fucking overpriced), a $10,000 cough assist machine (i have trouble coughing), a $15,000 respirator (i cant breath very well when im sleeping), a $4,000 hoyer lift, a $30,000 lift van, it costs $600 a month for meds, i need a doctors visit every 6 months for breathing tests, tb tests, flu shots, etc... (costs a few thousand dollars), I get my medical steroids shipped from the uk cause they cost $15 per pill in america and $2 per pill in the uk, a lot for food, a lot for rent, a home aid costs around $70,000 a year in america, i quit from the website hosting company i worked for and started my own (this month, first month in business, i barely made enough money to pay my expenses, the uk is starting to sound a lot better than america, as this stuff doesnt cost as much in the uk. if you read my example on my medical steroids, you would see what i mean. and, also, america cops goes about tasing/shooting people after they are already handcuffed (tasers can kill). do they do that in the uk?
  • Options
    We have to pay for medical aids as well.
  • Options
    I know, all im saying is that is a little cheaper (a lot cheaper in the uk). I paid $15 per pill for my medical steroids from america, and $2 per pill for my medical steroids shipped from the uk, if you read my entire message you would get that.
  • Options
    dmdsexgod wrote: »
    They bankrupted me

Who is it that bankrupted you - a hospice?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Who is it that bankrupted you - a hospice?

He claims the government bankrupted him because he had to pay for his operations and some other medical stuff.
  • Options
    no. the united states government, they have no laws that require insurance companies to insure everyone. i spent all my money on medical supplies cause no one would insure me. a spinal fusion surgery cost me $336,000 and i was uninsured. i had inherited $3 million dollars, and now i have nothing, i feel sorry for what happens to people who start out poor. i spend it all on medical supplies that i needed.
  • Options
    seriously. how fucked up are you sofie? you don't understand my disability, is that why you cannot comprehend how i got bankrupted. i have less than $1,000 in my bank account.
  • Options
    What are you on about? katralla asked a question and I answered it.
  • Options
    they way you said it "he claims".
  • Options
    What's your point?
  • Options
    Hmmn, well I don't actually believe your claims then. They may be true, they may not, but as there probably isn't a way for you to back them up without losing your confidentiality, I'll bow out of your thread.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Hmmn, well I don't actually believe your claims then. They may be true, they may not, but as there probably isn't a way for you to back them up without losing your confidentiality, I'll bow out of your thread.

There are no claims, im telling the truth. I have DMD (DUchenne muscular Dystropy). and i also have to pay to talk to a psychiatrist cause i sometimes want to kill annoying jerks like you (that is not true but the rest is.)
  • Options
    I believe you.
  • Options
    ok. what have your experiences of healthcare been?
  • Options
    everyone knows that in the US youre fucked for healthcare unless youre either mega rich or mega poor.
    for the best medicl technology in the world, its only available to those who can pay through the nose for it. It fucking sucks. People die because it sucks so bad.
    In the UK we may not have such advanced medical technology in every way, but at least its pretty much available to all that need it at the point of need.
  • Options
    , but at least its pretty much available to all that need it at the point of need.

But it does mean waiting a few months to be seen by anyone.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

yeah but we have the OPTION to go private for elective operations if we want to get seen faster if we have the money.
    For everyone else, we still have pretty much anything medical we need, available to us, whatever our income, even if there is a slight wait.
  • Options

Are you fucked up in the head? Stop arguing for the sake of arguing, makes you look like a twat. :)
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Are you fucked up in the head? Stop arguing for the sake of arguing, makes you look like a twat. :)

Am I'm not allowed an opinion any more or something?:rolleyes:
    yeah but we have the OPTION to go private for elective operations if we want to get seen faster if we have the money.

Wasn't just talking about operations though.
  • Options

Better than having to fund it entirely yourself, though, no? Or do you require the moon on a stick for nowt?

I've have many dealings with the NHS in the last few years, and while it hasn't all been a positive experience, at least I've had dealings at all. If I'd had to pay, there would have been no way in hell I would have got even a tenth of the help I've had.

The NHS isn't ideal, not by anyone's standards, but at least it's pretty fair. If you need medical help, you will get help. If you have to wait a few months for that, well, I can deal.
  • Options
    Yes, but it does mean waiting ages whilst getting even worse or not having a clue what's wrong with me for months.
  • Options
    and if you lived in the US there would be a good chance you wouldnt even be able to afford to find out what was wrong with you at all