Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Health Care: America versus the UK

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm going from memory here, but I've a feeling Germany also covers only 98% of the population (I'm not sure if that 2% is the NATO troops there though, I was covered by RAMC rather than the Germans)

German health cover isn't for the whole care, only part of it.

It's like getting the operation free but having to pay to be anaesthetised first...
  • Options
    Runnymede wrote: »
    The problem with the NHS is that it's too big and unwieldy to be managed from Whitehall. Staff are stretched and under-pressure from sometimes contradictory targets and directives, which is having a negative effect on how compassionate care is; especially if you're old/inarticulate.

That's a fallacy - not the central management bit, but the targets. It isn't the target that's the problem, it's the interpretation of those targets. The targets work together to a bigger aim - unfortuntaley too many managers (and front liners) only see their target and not the whole - they only care about the one which they are responsible for... hence they screw up the other for everyone else.
    The poorest should be covered by the state but instead of leaving it to government to mismanage billions most people should be able to spend their money at the hospitals they choose. That choice will force bad hospitals to improve, people will be in control rather than bureaucrats.

How is that different from "Choice" and "Payment by Results" (aka tariffs)?
    I only recall the gist of what Wanless said but I think I was accurate. Sir Wanless can't be talking out of his arse, he has a 'Sir' in front of his name man! That's like a certified arse clamp.

Being a Sir doesn't mean that you are immune from talking crap somethimes ;)
  • Options
    And as you'll see that the uk health system works better than america. I can;t get health insurance and spend most all of the money that i make on perscriptions, rent, food, and $11 for internet, i have to get a doctors apointment once every 6 months and a flu shot once a year. I have no money left by the end of the year. so i need to try not to get sick or need to be hospitalized. I never go outside, except to get food and perscriptions, i work over the net.
  • Options
    And to add to that, i would need to become a uk citizen to get the better healthcare, if i could afford a plane ticket.
  • Options
    Who says our healthcare is 'better'? or do you mean just because it's free? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Who says our healthcare is 'better'? or do you mean just because it's free? :rolleyes:

I think the NHS is better because it treats based on need, not on size of wallet.
  • Options
    Fair point. But is it better in terms of providing better care?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I think the NHS is better because it treats based on need, not on size of wallet.

wrong. haven't you seen the many people who can not receive cancer drugs for example because there is not enough cash in the pot? therefore it is not based on need, it's base don the size of the wallet.
  • Options
    But most drugs we either have to pay prescription charges for (£6.85 I think?) or certain people get them free.
  • Options
    But most drugs we either have to pay prescription charges for (£6.85 I think?) or certain people get them free.

yes notably the Welsh who get them for free. :mad:

but something serious such as cancer, they should always be free. the patient has paid national insurance all their lives they deserve free cancer treatment.
  • Options
    True, but with what money? It doesn't grow on trees you know...
  • Options
    True, but with what money? It doesn't grow on trees you know...

there is no need to raise taxes and I believe a lot of the money spent in the nhs is misspent therefore it needs to be allocated elsewhere, such as cancer treatment.

how does the Welsh afford free prescription charges? see if you can guess...
  • Options
    I already know - it's paid for through our taxes or something.
  • Options
    I already know - it's paid for through our taxes or something.

right ok..

anyway, do you think it's right for the welsh to receive free prescriptions but not for the rest of this 'united kingdom'?
  • Options
    No, but that means that someone is either going to have to pay extra taxes or we're going to have to cut a service or start charging people for stuff.
  • Options
    No, but that means that someone is either going to have to pay extra taxes or we're going to have to cut a service or start charging people for stuff.

or how about reorganizing how the money is spent or just not allow the welsh to be inferior than the rest of the British people?
  • Options
    it's not just the Welsh who get free prescriptions - there are also certain other people who get them free as well.
  • Options
    it's not just the Welsh who get free prescriptions - there are also certain other people who get them free as well.

but ALL welsh people are entitled to free prescriptions, it's not means tested, why shouldn't the rest of the 'united kingdom' also get this?
  • Options
    Probably because it would cost us far too much?
  • Options
    Probably because it would cost us far too much?
    so you support selective health care then. some can get it for free and the most should pay for their prescriptions. that's very fair isn't it.
  • Options
    Where have I said that? I don't agree with the Welsh getting free prescriptions, but that's the way it is.
  • Options
    Where have I said that? I don't agree with the Welsh getting free prescriptions, but that's the way it is.

but you didn't say that and you could of said that a few posts ago, thanks for clearing that up at last.

well you may think the status quo is just 'the way it is' but for me that's not good enough. i don't like to see in my country certain citizens getting free health care while others are denied it. it's even more ironic when we're classed as 'united kingdom'.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote: »
    right ok..

anyway, do you think it's right for the welsh to receive free prescriptions but not for the rest of this 'united kingdom'?

Well they voted for it in that whole Welsh parliament thing. I think it's bollocks too tbh, but that's the way it works. I think if you want to look at chronic wastes of money, you should look at the money spent on that pseudoscientific bullshit homeopathy, which is clinically untested, completely unproven, and has no basis in scientific evidence. The fact that we can pay for that, but not pay for a drug because it hasn't undergone the correct clinical trials is bullshit (and I agree the cancer drug should go through the correct clinical trials, as should anything else). You want to pay for the good effects of having someone spend time with patients, then pay for more councillers, not some new age bullshit marsquerading as legitimate medicine.

Other than this, we have to accept that the money must go on the most cost effective methods of saving lives. The herceptin thing made me laugh (in a morbid sort of way). They staged a demonstration of the people who may die as a result of not getting this drug. Unfortunately no-one had the foresight to show up with a demonstration of the many more people who may die because their treatment had to be cut back on to pay for the far more expensive (and at that point untested) herceptin drug. Naturally, everyone thinks that their illness is the most important, but the fact is that there isn't an unlimited pot. And of course, just like America, everyone is free to choose insurance that will have a bigger pot of cash if they need it, and will provide treatment that the NHS may struggle to afford.
  • Options
    Well they voted for it in that whole Welsh parliament thing. I think it's bollocks too tbh, but that's the way it works. I think if you want to look at chronic wastes of money, you should look at the money spent on that pseudoscientific bullshit homeopathy, which is clinically untested, completely unproven, and has no basis in scientific evidence. The fact that we can pay for that, but not pay for a drug because it hasn't undergone the correct clinical trials is bullshit (and I agree the cancer drug should go through the correct clinical trials, as should anything else). You want to pay for the good effects of having someone spend time with patients, then pay for more councillers, not some new age bullshit marsquerading as legitimate medicine.

Other than this, we have to accept that the money must go on the most cost effective methods of saving lives. The herceptin thing made me laugh (in a morbid sort of way). They staged a demonstration of the people who may die as a result of not getting this drug. Unfortunately no-one had the foresight to show up with a demonstration of the many more people who may die because their treatment had to be cut back on to pay for the far more expensive (and at that point untested) herceptin drug. Naturally, everyone thinks that their illness is the most important, but the fact is that there isn't an unlimited pot. And of course, just like America, everyone is free to choose insurance that will have a bigger pot of cash if they need it, and will provide treatment that the NHS may struggle to afford.

I see what you are saying and I understand there is not such thing as an unlimited pot but when there is a lot of money wasted, which there clearly is, cancer drugs should be free, at all costs. everyone has a right to life, that's what the European human rights says so why isn't this being met?

as for the welsh thing, i understand how they got free prescriptions in the first place but if it's good enough for the welsh then everyone else should be allowed to take advantage of this too.
  • Options
    I see what you are saying and I understand there is not such thing as an unlimited pot but when there is a lot of money wasted, which there clearly is, cancer drugs should be free, at all costs. everyone has a right to life, that's what the European human rights says so why isn't this being met?

Even if it meant more people with other illnesses would have to miss out on treatment? As far as I know, they make every effort to provide any method of treatment for cancer. Herceptin hadn't completed its clinical trials, and these people wanted it prescribed anyway, because they'd heard it was some sort of wonder drug. I'd rather make sure a drug's 100% safe first. It's an expensive drug, it was in the middle of testing, and these people were being treated for their cancer, just not with the drug that they thought they should've been. It's very easy to say that money is being wasted, but that's inevitable with any organisation on such a scale. Every government claims they're gonna save money by becoming more efficiant and saving money, seemingly without giving any examples of precisely what they're gonna do. I've given an example of homeopathy, which I think is a huge waste of money, but I don't have enough knowledge of the inner workings of the NHS to come up with any more examples tbh.
  • Options
    Even if it meant more people with other illnesses would have to miss out on treatment? As far as I know, they make every effort to provide any method of treatment for cancer. Herceptin hadn't completed its clinical trials, and these people wanted it prescribed anyway, because they'd heard it was some sort of wonder drug. I'd rather make sure a drug's 100% safe first. It's an expensive drug, it was in the middle of testing, and these people were being treated for their cancer, just not with the drug that they thought they should've been. It's very easy to say that money is being wasted, but that's inevitable with any organisation on such a scale. Every government claims they're gonna save money by becoming more efficiant and saving money, seemingly without giving any examples of precisely what they're gonna do. I've given an example of homeopathy, which I think is a huge waste of money, but I don't have enough knowledge of the inner workings of the NHS to come up with any more examples tbh.
    everyone, universally, should be offered treatment for diseases that are threatening their lives, we can afford it. we seem to find money for other areas fast enough and like i've said before, a lot of nhs money is wasted.

herceptin had been used abroad and, i think it was the u.s where it had been a success. why the U.K took so long to launch this drug was to save money, i believe. yeah, i also agree every organization wastes money to a certain extent but the nhs, many reports confirm that billions and billions are being wasted: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=425841&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

when such large sums are being wasted, i think it's right for me to say we could afford drugs to treat all patients that are in life threatening situations. that is my belief.
  • Options
    everyone, universally, should be offered treatment for diseases that are threatening their lives, we can afford it.

Can we?:confused:
  • Options
    Can we?:confused:
    the welsh can afford free prescriptions for everyone with out the need to raise taxes and yes I do believe we can afford other treatment for serious illnesses, as the report suggests above, billions and billions are WASTED every year.
  • Options
    herceptin had been used abroad and, i think it was the u.s where it had been a success. why the U.K took so long to launch this drug was to save money, i believe. yeah, i also agree every organization wastes money to a certain extent but the nhs, many reports confirm that billions and billions are being wasted: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=425841&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

A report done by a company who in their own words
    "believe that by liberalising the public sector, breaking monopoly and extending choice, high quality services can be made available for everyone."
    Reform

Not necessarily bad ideas, but hardly a balanced, independent report, if you have a clear agenda at the start of it. And from the article, again, there seemed to be very little substance in the way of exact examples of where money is being wasted (except one small story of a doctor being flown in, which presumably would follow your "save lives at all costs" policy if he was the only doctor able to do the job).

We can expect more waste than practically any other company, because they are the third biggest employer in the world. Now we can say that this needs restructuring, but other than a complete overhaul of this nature, I can't see where you can find more money. They're already overhauling the way that doctors hours work, which I believe is an important area and a positive move. I think a lot of GP's need to realise that if you work in one of the service industries, you have to work when people need you to work, not get everyone else to arrange their lives around you. Incidentally, funding for the NHS has only just gone past the European average, despite years of underfunding, so it's not surprising that other countries are ahead of us.
  • Options
    Yes the NHS wastes money, same as every other company on the face of the earth - given its staffed and run by people thats somewhat understandable - I've yet to meet anyone who is 100% efficient 100% of their work time.

And yes, the NHS quite possibly wastes a few billion, but given its budget is £90bn or so, thats not that bad, I'd be curious to see how it compared with other organisations. The numbers involved are huge so any small drop from absolutely perfect looks dire.