Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Health Care: America versus the UK

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why the fuck are you so annoyed about it? No one has made an attack on you, the only issue raised is that homeopathy doesn't work by the means in which homeopathy itself says it does. Maybe it does work, but if it does, it isn't for the reasons they claim- that's the point.
  • Options
    Funny when people get backed into a corner and can't back up their claims they resort to personal insults, isn't it?

Gotta say, I didn't expect it from you though.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Why the fuck are you so annoyed about it? No one has made an attack on you, the only issue raised is that homeopathy doesn't work by the means in which homeopathy itself says it does. Maybe it does work, but if it does, it isn't for the reasons they claim- that's the point.

Exactly, the only pro-homeopathy reports I've read are along the lines of "X% of people reported that they felt better," which is about as valid as "X% of women reported that their hair looked shinier after using Pantene."
  • Options
    how am i meant to back up my claims that it worked for me and my son other than im telling you here that what the doctors couldnt do anything for, got miraculously and suddenly better when homeopathic remedies were started.
    Millions of people the world over swear by homeopathy and now the NHS are cottoning on to it as well. Youre saying im talking bullshit but im telling you it does work. I have nothing to gain from this. I dont sell the stuff, but i think its pretty amazing that it does work tbh.
    If it was just me that it had worked on then maybe id consider placebo effect, but when it works for my kids too that dont even know what im giving them, then i think its about as obvious that it works as anything else.
    Believe what you want. Id hoped that maybe someone could see that i have experience that it does work and if you had a problem then it might be something you could consider that could help you, but no, youre being cunts about it, so fuck off and die.
  • Options
    What? The point isn't whether it works/ed for you really. The gripe over homeopathy is that they claim they take a substance and dilute to some miniscule concentration that there isn't enough water in the world to do, so if it works, it doesn't work how they claim it does.
  • Options
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc
  • Options
    as fa as im aware there was evidence that it still effected molecules even at the minute dilutions, but then they couldnt replicate it in ONE study and then the whole guys research was damned - same as any researcher that goes against the great god medicine.
    Other research has been done, but i dont know much about it. All ive seen are results.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1532
    4 Belfast homeopathy results

MADELEINE Ennis, a pharmacologist at Queen's University, Belfast, was the scourge of homeopathy. She railed against its claims that a chemical remedy could be diluted to the point where a sample was unlikely to contain a single molecule of anything but water, and yet still have a healing effect. Until, that is, she set out to prove once and for all that homeopathy was bunkum.

In her most recent paper, Ennis describes how her team looked at the effects of ultra-dilute solutions of histamine on human white blood cells involved in inflammation. These "basophils" release histamine when the cells are under attack. Once released, the histamine stops them releasing any more. The study, replicated in four different labs, found that homeopathic solutions - so dilute that they probably didn't contain a single histamine molecule - worked just like histamine. Ennis might not be happy with the homeopaths' claims, but she admits that an effect cannot be ruled out.

So how could it happen? Homeopaths prepare their remedies by dissolving things like charcoal, deadly nightshade or spider venom in ethanol, and then diluting this "mother tincture" in water again and again. No matter what the level of dilution, homeopaths claim, the original remedy leaves some kind of imprint on the water molecules. Thus, however dilute the solution becomes, it is still imbued with the properties of the remedy.

You can understand why Ennis remains sceptical. And it remains true that no homeopathic remedy has ever been shown to work in a large randomised placebo-controlled clinical trial. But the Belfast study (Inflammation Research, vol 53, p 181) suggests that something is going on. "We are," Ennis says in her paper, "unable to explain our findings and are reporting them to encourage others to investigate this phenomenon." If the results turn out to be real, she says, the implications are profound: we may have to rewrite physics and chemistry.
    from http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg18524911.600-13-things-that-do-not-make-sense.html

http://www.wddty.com/03363800371628761562/proof-positive-homeopathy-works-but-dr-jacques-isn-t-around-to-hear-his-work-vindicated.html
  • Options
    Id hoped that maybe someone could see that i have experience that it does work.

Having used it several times (mainly for blocked nose & to bring out bruises) I can honestly say it does work.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote: »
    anyway, do you think it's right for the welsh to receive free prescriptions but not for the rest of this 'united kingdom'?

1. It's not "the rest of the UK" because Scotland has free scripts too

2. They actually have longer waits for many operations in Wales. Our money went into that and increased pay. Funnily enough when the Govt did a public survey in 1998 the public said that they wanted shorter waits, more doctros and beeter pay for nurses. You got waht you asked for so stop fucking whinging :p
  • Options
    as fa as im aware there was evidence that it still effected molecules even at the minute dilutions, but then they couldnt replicate it in ONE study and then the whole guys research was damned - same as any researcher that goes against the great god medicine.
    Other research has been done, but i dont know much about it. All ive seen are results.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1532

from http://space.newscientist.com/article/mg18524911.600-13-things-that-do-not-make-sense.html

http://www.wddty.com/03363800371628761562/proof-positive-homeopathy-works-but-dr-jacques-isn-t-around-to-hear-his-work-vindicated.html
    PLEASE! rub that article in wheresmyplacebo face!

we don't meantion the H word, because i have been treated with it all my life and find it provides much better results than "conventional" medicine..
    he says it's jsut the placebo effect

but anyway thats another story!
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    In a strange kind of way I would quite like Homeopathy to go through proper double blind trials and work - because if it did we would have to rethink almost everything we know about physics and chemistry.
    thing is this would also apply for flower essences, yet there are thousands of dentist surgeries up and down the country that give rescue remedy and people don't freak out...

the "proven western medicine" has awful side effects, are subject to much corruption, and are more expencive to make...there are many things that "modern medicine" cannot treat well. Stress, can be greatly relieved with aromatherapy and massage, no tablet will give you that kind of relief without side effects...and possible addiction...
  • Options
    Maybe you'd be better actually looking for evidence that it works rather than just repeating the old "it worked for me" line.

Okay, I;'ve read the rest and now I've had enough of this bloody argument.

I can give you a list of people whose treatment in a homeopathic way has apparently benefitted them. That is one hell of a huge number of conincidences.

You really have to ask yourself tougher questions about the money you spend and if it's spent wisely. Now I know of cases where someone has been through the chronic pain services for years. Each time they go it costs the NHS about £160 and they go at least four times per year. Steroid injections (which is one of the treatments offered) only have a short working life before they become ineffective and so you end up with patients on morhine pumps.

In some cases we have tried alternate (and scientifically unproven) treatments like osteopaths and acupunturists. We also have used various forms of massage, including reflexology. I havea practice in my area which is very forward in using these threapies. Gps referring.

They have the lowest referrals to Pain services out of over 100 GP practices in the area. Co incidence? Poor patient treatment? Huge numbers of unhappy pain filled patients? Or enough eveidence that something must be benefitting these patients, enough not to dismiss the idea out of hand?

Sure you can apply the double blind testing etc to these treatments - but as they have no "scientific" basis then "science" isn;t going to find anything. Given our current understanding that is.

I don't care if it is the placebo effect, those patients report that their problems are better. And it costs me less.

I'd say that you get value for money, as a taxpayer, wouldn;t you?
  • Options
    Exactly, the only pro-homeopathy reports I've read are along the lines of "X% of people reported that they felt better," which is about as valid as "X% of women reported that their hair looked shinier after using Pantene."

Except is women want shiny hair then it's a pretty good recommendation, wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    Thankfully I won't die, because I'll put my faith in proven western medicine that has been independentally verified.

We can prevent death now?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote: »
    I see what you are saying and I understand there is not such thing as an unlimited pot but when there is a lot of money wasted, which there clearly is, cancer drugs should be free, at all costs. everyone has a right to life, that's what the European human rights says so why isn't this being met?

Herceptin osts about £40k per year to treat a single patient. If offer no benefit in 75%. So that's £160k for each succesful treatment.

Alternatively, for that same money I could have 30 hip operations, 640 hearing aids, I could empy three nurses for a year who could see over 200 patient each, I could employ another GP would could do the same...

The same cost, therefore, could treat a much larger number of people.

The NHS has a responsibility to treat as many people as possible for as little cash as possible.

Do we waste money sometimes, certainly. Would it mean that every singles treatment should be free - absolutely not.

So what do we restrict? Proven or effective treatments, or those with emotive issues like breast cancer. What about offering better mental health services, why should that take a back seat to cancer when freed up funds are mentioned?
  • Options
    Okay, I;'ve read the rest and now I've had enough of this bloody argument.

I can give you a list of people whose treatment in a homeopathic way has apparently benefitted them. That is one hell of a huge number of conincidences.
    Apparently benefitted them. But not actually. You would have to rewrite hundreds of years of scientific theories on physics and biology to back up the claims you're making. And I haven't seen anyone on this thread or anywhere else back up the claims of homeopaths with one shread of scientific evidence (and considering the fact that they make a clear scientific claim to the workings of their practice, I'd say this is pretty vital). The fact is that if it does work, you don't know why it works, and it is as certain as anything can ever be in the field of science, that it isn't because of the claims made by the people who carry it out.
    You really have to ask yourself tougher questions about the money you spend and if it's spent wisely. Now I know of cases where someone has been through the chronic pain services for years. Each time they go it costs the NHS about £160 and they go at least four times per year. Steroid injections (which is one of the treatments offered) only have a short working life before they become ineffective and so you end up with patients on morhine pumps.

In some cases we have tried alternate (and scientifically unproven) treatments like osteopaths and acupunturists. We also have used various forms of massage, including reflexology. I havea practice in my area which is very forward in using these threapies. Gps referring.

They have the lowest referrals to Pain services out of over 100 GP practices in the area. Co incidence? Poor patient treatment? Huge numbers of unhappy pain filled patients? Or enough eveidence that something must be benefitting these patients, enough not to dismiss the idea out of hand?
    Enough evidence to do more research into the precise reasons for this (which isn't homeopathy because that's impossible), and focus the spending on that.
    Sure you can apply the double blind testing etc to these treatments - but as they have no "scientific" basis then "science" isn;t going to find anything. Given our current understanding that is.
    Lol, if you think that homeopathy doesn't claim some scientific basis, then you obvious don't know a lot about it. And these scientific claims have been proven false on so many levels, so many times. I'm not talking about the effectiveness now, but the practice itself is bullshit. Surely you must at least agree with that?
    I don't care if it is the placebo effect, those patients report that their problems are better. And it costs me less.

I'd say that you get value for money, as a taxpayer, wouldn;t you?
    Not really. You're effectively paying someone £30-£100 an hour, who's qualified in nothing to speak nicely to a patient for a while and prescribe nothing of any chemical value. I feel there must be a more cost-effective way to get the placebo effect. Hell, even making hospitals more pleasent environments would likely have a similar effect. Oh, and every practically independent study of any worth has reported no statistical evidence that homeopathy gains any greater results than one is likely to see from the placebo effect. Incidentally, if we're gonna pay for the placebo effect, we might as well pay for it in its cheapest form. I don't know how cheap voodoo preists are going for nowadays, or maybe a well-placed lie from the doctor.
  • Options
    Except is women want shiny hair then it's a pretty good recommendation, wouldn't you say?

It doesn't make it true though.
  • Options
    right so you dismiss something that blatantly DOES work, because you think it SHOULDNT work.

thats GREAT science that is!! Well done!

How about looking at the results eh?
  • Options
    At any rate where do you draw the line? Why stop at homeopathy? why not have faith healing on the NHS as well? For all the reasons already mentioned, I have no problem with it as long as it isn't state funded.
  • Options
    I kinda believe we should pay for what heals people the best. I have a lot on the science behind homeopathy and it is complete rubbish - but just because the science is wrong doesn't mean it isn't working for another reason.

And to dismiss a treatment because the benefits are mainly based on talking rather than medication and science would surely mean throwing out most success treatments for mental health - ever read anything that tries to find a scientific justification for why psychoanalysis works?
  • Options
    I met some Nurses from America that were working in London for a year and they said in terms of modern technology and equipment they reckoned the UK was about 20 years behind American hospitals.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I kinda believe we should pay for what heals people the best. I have a lot on the science behind homeopathy and it is complete rubbish - but just because the science is wrong doesn't mean it isn't working for another reason.

And to dismiss a treatment because the benefits are mainly based on talking rather than medication and science would surely mean throwing out most success treatments for mental health - ever read anything that tries to find a scientific justification for why psychoanalysis works?

Agree on both points
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

I'm inclined to agree, but unlike things like massage or similar you could do a double blind trial on homeopathy. And if it proves that its the talking and not the water which is the effective part then surely that would be good to know so we can concentrate on that rather than diluting things 1 million times.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    I met some Nurses from America that were working in London for a year and they said in terms of modern technology and equipment they reckoned the UK was about 20 years behind American hospitals.

Though strangely in the field of hospices they are WAY behind us, up until recently there wasnt even one childrens hospice in the whole US (there might not even be one now).
  • Options
    Apparently benefitted them. But not actually.

I used the word "apparently" because I couldn't possibly say that they were cured, or better. The patient think that they are, comlpain no more about their symptoms etc and that is good enoug houtcome for me.

What would you want from any "treatment"?
    And I haven't seen anyone on this thread or anywhere else back up the claims of homeopaths with one shread of scientific evidence

Erm.. maybe because you are the only person linking scientfic evidence. We're saying it seems to work. I also said, every clearly, that I didn;t think that there was "scientific basis" for the outcomes and therefore it will be very hard toscience to identify exactly what did lead to that outcome...
    Lol, if you think that homeopathy doesn't claim some scientific basis, then you obvious don't know a lot about it.

I didn't say that. I don't care what they "claim", I am only interested in what is actually delivered. It's the outcomes that matter not the "advertising".
    Incidentally, if we're gonna pay for the placebo effect, we might as well pay for it in its cheapest form.

Personally I'd rather pay the price of whichever treatment is effective. But then I am in the business of making people feel better. Not scientific dogma.
  • Options
    I used the word "apparently" because I couldn't possibly say that they were cured, or better. The patient think that they are, comlpain no more about their symptoms etc and that is good enoug houtcome for me.

What would you want from any "treatment"?
    Measurable results. Not hearsay. The health service isn't in the business of making people warm and fuzzy, it's in the business of making people's medical conditions disappear. Want warm and fuzzy, then book it with your own money.
    Erm.. maybe because you are the only person linking scientfic evidence. We're saying it seems to work. I also said, every clearly, that I didn;t think that there was "scientific basis" for the outcomes and therefore it will be very hard toscience to identify exactly what did lead to that outcome...
    Not really. It's just a case of applying existing known scientifically proven treatments (the placebo effect, for example), and seeing if homeopathy shares anything in common with these treatments in terms of practices and results (which it does). If it does, then chances are that the thing that works for homeopathy would be the thing that has been known to work in other instances. Isolate the specific active (if you will) aspect, and bingo, you have your treatment.
    I didn't say that. I don't care what they "claim", I am only interested in what is actually delivered. It's the outcomes that matter not the "advertising".
    Why? When they presumably ask for funding for "supplies" I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what these supplies are, what they do, and ask for proof of these things. If they can't provide this, then they can obviously do their job without them. A doctor (obviously on a larger scale than individual doctors) has to do all of these things when they want to prescribe a drug. No wonder the NHS wastes so much money if they don't care what the money is spent on.
    Personally I'd rather pay the price of whichever treatment is effective. But then I am in the business of making people feel better. Not scientific dogma.
    Funny, I thought you were in the business of curing illnesses, not making people feel better. I must've mistaken you for a manager of a health spa.
  • Options
    If something works it works - if I rub some oil over you and your acne disappears it doesn't really matter if it's because the oil has some mystical healing property or because you believe it did...

if homeopathy is based on the placebo effect you can't seperate the mumbo jumbo from the counselling/pyschological impact because they're one and the same.
  • Options
    not entirely serious post:

the same effect can be achieved by just shooting all ill people. ULTIMATE CURE!!!
  • Options
    If something works it works - if I rub some oil over you and your acne disappears it doesn't really matter if it's because the oil has some mystical healing property or because you believe it did...

*raises eyebrow*

is that an offer?! :naughty:

sorry, sorry. I *knew* I shouldnt have had that cider :o
  • Options
    Measurable results.

Here a measure for you:

1. How did you feel before the treatment?

2. How did you feel afterwards?

If the answer to question 2 isn't some form of "better" then I don't really care what scientific evidence you can show me that it "should" work, it clearly didn't.

You know that surgery doesn;t always work, don't you. You know that a [medically proven] course of tablets doesn;t always work either. Yet you seem to put much store in them because they are based on "science".

What actually matter is how the patient is, not what science says they should be like.

it's in the business of making people's medical conditions disappear.

How is that different from making them "feel" better, through homeopathy?
    It's just a case of applying existing known scientifically proven treatments (the placebo effect, for example)

You know what the "placebo" effect is, don't you?

It's something happening which science cannot explain. It's proof that the abscence of anything scientific has made a "difference". Which is why scientists are dismissive of the impact... they just don't understand it.
    When they presumably ask for funding for "supplies" I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what these supplies are, what they do, and ask for proof of these things.

Indeed. When a patient asks how effective I think that reflexology is, I can point to the number of people who had a course of treatment and who haven't been back for the same condition since.
    A doctor (obviously on a larger scale than individual doctors) has to do all of these things when they want to prescribe a drug.

Er... who do you think is referring the patient to the homeopathic services?
    No wonder the NHS wastes so much money if they don't care what the money is spent on.

Option A
    £80 on an homeopathic treatment which seem to have a positive effect

Option B
    £160, four times per year, for the rest of the patients life on a "scientific" treatment.

I choose to pay for Option A, you want Option B.

Which one of us spends more?
    Funny, I thought you were in the business of curing illnesses, not making people feel better. I must've mistaken you for a manager of a health spa.

No, you must have mistaken medical science for miracle workers.

When you can tell me how we can "cure" Chronic Pain, Mental Health, COPD, Heart Disease, Epilepsy, Lympoedema, Diabetes and all the other "long term conditions", then I'll agree with you.

Until that point our job is to "treat" people to make them feel better. Sometimes you cannot cure something, sometimes you treat the symptoms, sometimes you just make someone's life pain free because there is nothing else you can do.