Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Healthy eating

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited June 2020 in Help Desk
I want to make a thread where i disccus healthy eating. Not any disorder related eating. I want to start eating healthy. The right amount of calories. No more sugar than i need. Our diet is important for our mental health. So can i post what i ate. - when it will literally be healthy snd it will movitate me to eat properly not restrict and help binging. Also if people could comment if that would be triggering as if people dont then that might change the mix reply. I mean eating healthy but also say like eating chocolate when i want but nothing too exessive. But im just thinking people might compare. And feel shit but then maybe they nay realise how eating so much unhealthy can actually affect your mental wellbeing
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I think this could be triggering to some and cause people to feel bad about themselves. Sorry. Good idea tho..
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster
    I think that if it is motivating for you which it sounds like it is, then it would be a good idea. But I agree that it could be triggering for some users. Perhaps you should put posts in spoilers. Or would that be too much work?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    I think it's a great idea! It helps you keep track of how you're doing, and if others want to join in then you basically have a group of people all working on a common fitness goal. Eating healthily is a really important part of mental wellbeing, so it's defo a good thing to talk about and discuss x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I understand this may be triggering to some people. I think it’s a good idea though, it might give me some meal ideas, I’m a pretty fussy eater so I’m always open to new meal ideas that I might like, it’s a benefit when they’re healthy as well 😊
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
    There is a thread called what's on the menu, I don't know if that's any help for new ideas?
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Personally I think this could be triggering for a lot of people, especially as many people come here for mental health support or Ed support, I do think people may use it as a comparison even if they don't say it. I do think it's a lovely idea though and could really benefit you! Have you thought about doing this in a diary? 
    Alis propriis volat 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Thanks all. I hope the Mix will allow it as healthy eating is so important for mental health and will encorage me and help others. And maybe people who are triggered from food don’t look at the thread
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    GreenTea said:
    There is a thread called what's on the menu, I don't know if that's any help for new ideas?
    Ooh thanks @GreenTea I’ve not seen that one before I’ll have to have a look x
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    It's one of @Laine 's threads @Dandelion :)
    Hope it helps @Dandelion
    Also i wouldnt be motivated enough with a dairy. I like to share it with people hate writing by hand too
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited July 2020
    Not sure how this one slipped by us - sorry guys!

Starting a discussion about building a balanced diet is totally fine. We're big believers that context is key with anything like this, and talking about what's in your food in the context of trying to have a healthy lifestyle is very different to doing so in the context of disordered eating or body image stuff. And as has already been said, a good diet is important for a healthy mind as well as a healthy body.

I would agree with @Kasa2103 that using spoilers is a good idea. Since it's still a sensitive subject for a lot of people, it's best to spoiler anything related to the nutrional content of food (e.g. amount of fat, sugar or carbs) and leave out calorie amounts altogether. It's fine to say an average adult female should consume around 2000 per day, but it would be great if we could avoid talking about the amount of calories you're personally getting or aiming to get, as that's a hugely common trigger.

Be mindful that it doesn't take much for these sorts of conversations to become unhealthy. If it starts feeling harmful or unconstructive, a mod is likely to close the thread or make some edits to be on the safe side. And similarly, we'd encourage everyone to flag anything to us they're unsure of so we can check it out and make sure it's all good. Better safe than sorry.

We may revisit this at some point but, for now, this sounds okay provided we stick to those rules. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Okay thank you! I will make the thread soon!