Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recovering from Eating Disorders: Ask us Anything - EDAW 2020

124»

Comments

• Options
    Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Ed_ said:
    Thanks @Hope for all your answers, some great questions too :3

*A final update* for this thread in terms of experts, we have Molly returning this evening from 6.30-7.30pm and she will be joined by Tom Rebair (bio updated in the thread), who can help shine a light on what it's like to have an eating disorder as a guy. @Salix_alba_2019 - Tom may have some interesting insights into your thread around how to help male friends open up about mental health...
    Thanks for the heads up, I think I might be a bit too late now 😅
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,795 Master Poster
    Going to give my eating issues the middle finger and order a kebab. 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    @Kasa2103 yes! <3
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    Do you ever fully recover, I've never fell so far into darkness before and even if I can climb back out will this voice inside my head ever stop shouting at me and breaking me back down to nothing?

Is it even worth it to try? I try to help myself for others as I don't see myself as worth it but I want to be there for my friends but when I can't help myself how can I help them making the voice shout at me more for being worthless and it just tells me I need to do "better". I just don't know what to push for anymore. 
  • Options
    TomRTomR Posts: 9 Expert
    What are your top tips for staying well? 
    Look after your health, mental or physical. Do things you enjoy. Work hard but make sure it's in a balance with your life outside of work. There are loads of different ideas but it's about finding what works for you. 
  • Options
    MollyMolly Posts: 19 Expert
    Do you ever fully recover, I've never fell so far into darkness before and even if I can climb back out will this voice inside my head ever stop shouting at me and breaking me back down to nothing?

Is it even worth it to try? I try to help myself for others as I don't see myself as worth it but I want to be there for my friends but when I can't help myself how can I help them making the voice shout at me more for being worthless and it just tells me I need to do "better". I just don't know what to push for anymore. 
    Hey! @HowDoYouTalkAboutIt

So so sorry for the delayed response.

You can fully recover for sure, or at least get to the point where you can cope / manage any negative ED thoughts or behaviours! As you get into the recovery process you will be able to recognise ED thoughts and behaviours as irrational and silly and you'll learn how to challenge them and overcome them. I promise, the voice in your head will stop shouting at you - you have to be strong, and accept that it may take some time but please, please try! 

Recovery is SO worth it and life is so worth it - so don't give up! There's more to life than your ED and you really are worth so so much more than you think! We are all here for you xxx
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Thank you to all the guests who came on to support this thread. We really appreciate the time you took out of your day, to join us and answer our questions.

Hope you are all well 💜 thank you again 💜

GreenTea ✨
  • Options
    HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    I need to try to start eating, but I need to eat healthily to do that as I just seem to be going further into darkness but I can't as nk shops are stocked anymore. I can't eat healthy and I can't eat. I'm just feeling so lost.