Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Opinions wanted: Making things better for young people

Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate

Hey

10 points to Gryffindor* if you noticed that the boards had a slightly new look, with our new community voice section. We think you are an awesome bunch of people with ideas that really deserve a platform to become reality. Whether that be helping us with stuff within The Mix such as new community features (e.g. positivity corner, new chat and boards development) or whether it is sharing ideas that help to change the way things are for young people in the UK.

We are going into a big planning phase at The Mix towers and we are keen to get your thoughts on the types of issues we should be tackling. We were really interested to read your thoughts on the issues you are most passionate about, and we want to build on this to help us shape things moving forward. So, here’s how you can get involved:

Speed round

Don’t think too much, just write down the first few ideas that pop into your head. Open the spoiler to reveal the questions:

1. What are the best things about being a young person today
  2. What are the things that keep you awake at night worrying?
  3. If one thing could change in the world to make it better, what would it be?
  4. If The Mix could add or change one thing to what we do to make it better, what would it be?

Vote in the poll

We are keen to know what the biggest issues facing young people are right now. There is a lot being talked about in the media, from climate change, to knife crime, to increased mental health services. We are keen though to know what YOU think is actually the biggest issue right now. Vote in the poll to let us know, and if you choose other, let us know what it is, no matter how big or small.

We’d love to see as much discussion as possible below. Remember, there are no wrong answers here, all opinions are valued the same. If you really don’t want to share your thoughts publicly, drop us a PM and we can add them into our findings.

Happy Monday!

Ed & The Team

(*other houses are acceptable)

FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Opinions wanted: Making things better for young people 10 votes

Housing
0% 0 votes
Climate change
30% 3 votes
Knife crime
0% 0 votes
Mental Health support
70% 7 votes
Getting a job
0% 0 votes
Other
0% 0 votes
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    1. What are the best things about being a young person today
    the best thing is being around to see the innovative changes going on in the world. Whether that be technological advances or new medical treatments or anything else. It is an exciting time.
    1. What are the things that keep you awake at night worrying?
    Mostly housing and money. I worry about getting a job that will pay enough to comfortably live and whether I will ever be able to afford to get on the property ladder. 
    1. If one thing could change in the world to make it better, what would it be?
    People being kind to each other. If all respected one another and did our best to help others when we can then the world would be a much better place. 
    1. If The Mix could add or change one thing to what we do to make it better, what would it be?
    24/7 group chats  :pensive:

no I am joking I know that is not possible - I don't know whether you currently offer this or not so apologies if you do but I think it would be really cool to offer internships or work experience! I would love this as I am going to start nursing training in September and I reckon it would be a great experience. 

In terms of service provision I would say that firstly, you guys are awesome at what you provide - the mix has helped me soooooo much. I think it might be helpful if you could have like an email or message service where people can get something off their chest or ask advice on an issue and be responded to by a volunteer or staff or counsellor or something... and I don't mean like a counselling service where people would repeatedly contact every week. I mean more like a one off (maybe every now and again) thing. Thinking about this, maybe like an "Ask the mix" kinda agony aunt type thing? You could read through questions/problems and whoever has the most experience in that area could respond. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    I'm not a good typer so here it is on paper!
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

• LubnaLubna Deactivated Posts: 496 Listening Ear
    1)I can't answer as I don't think there is a best thing about being a YP today.
    2)The thing about night that keeps me awake worrying is that knowing my eyes are going to waken up the next day.
    3)If one thing could change in the world it would be better mental health support.
    4)I like the idea of having a sub forum on here to make it a better site of a 'young adult space' so that the 18-25 year olds could talk more freely about triggering subjects.
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    1) What are the best things about being a young person today?
    The Internet definitely. Since I was around 13, it's been a refuge, a meeting place for new friends, a quick way to access news and support as well as campaign about the things I care about. 

2) What are the things that keep you awake at night worrying?
    The rise of the far right, my mental health, my physical health

3) If one thing could change in the world to make it better, what would it be?
    A better education system, including tailored learning plans to meet individual need, with better pastoral care and resources

4) If The Mix could add or change one thing to what we do to make it better, what would it be?
    I think some kind of late night chat/board/space for night owls would be a good idea 
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    edited May 2019
    1) Technology and the internet, probably. Also, the world has evolved in many ways, some of which are good - less homophobia, racism, sexism, etc. (although sadly there's still a lot), the death penalty has been banned in many places, and so on.

2) Uh, the things that literally might keep me awake at night worrying are personal things. But things I'm worried about: Climate change, mental health and suicide, animal abuse, war, Trump/Bolsonaro/Putin/all those people in such a position of power, homelessness... Brexit lol...

3) No more hate and violence.

4) You guys are awesome and doing a great job, so I don't know. I guess I have one thought, but I'm not sure if I can say it.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    edited May 2019
    1) What are the best things about being a young person today? 
    I think there is a level of more positive responsibility for young people these days?
    Like we have more independence and trust to do things,  however that can also be negative for some people who get to roam around and are bad behaved? (I sound so old lol) 
    Technology is also both a great perk and a bit of a downside, and I don't personally believe there is much to be excited about or any 'best things' these days

2) What are the things that keep you awake at night worrying? 
    • I definitely second the rise of the far right, 

•Also,  the future,  how I will likely never have a good paying job,  never buy my own home,  and I will be working for virtually nothing,  working for years longer than the generation before , working my life away and not having anything nice.

•How mental health is going,  I feel it's going down and in the opposite direction, and I'm grateful for services such as the mix stopping it

• How people with their bad views are rising (triggering mentions so will spoiler it) 
    Anti abortion, 
    Anti vaxxers, 
    People like Donald Trump and Theresa may getting through, the things their doing to LGBT individuals, taking away their rights,  giving people a right not to serve them

•also climate change.  The extinction of animals really gets to me,  I love animals so so much and it tears me up to see them going for no good reason,  just simply because we must have plastic straws,  because it's fun to hunt them.
    (sorry it's a lot I'm an avid worrier haha) 

3) If one thing could change in the world to make it better what would it be? 
    That's hard because theres so many things but I agree with Aidan starting on violence x

4) If the mix could Add or change one thing to what we do to make it better,  what would it be? 
    Everything is pretty well rounded but I agree with Aidan and dumpling :)
    X

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Aidan, @Laine, @Jellyelephant, @Sham, @ClaraOswald, @chubbydumpling,

Some really interesting thoughts here, thanks so much for sharing :3 I'm getting a sense that there is a mixture of broader issues such as the world becoming more polarised/extreme and climate change that are worrying, but that there are day-to-day challenges that perhaps induce more stress/worry that are more centred around what is going on in our more immediate world. Is that right?

Some interesting suggestions around chat times, and more 'advicey' support, either anonymously through the boards or an email service. Interestingly, we used to run an 'Ask The Site' service back in the day, will take these away and have a think about what we can do. For now, we do have an email service that you can reach out to, to get ideas of what you can do to address an issue.

@kathleen0172 - any views and thoughts are welcome, you can also drop it to us in a PM if you prefer.

@ClaraOswald - love the name btw, good to have some Whovians around to keep @Mike company :) Also, some bonus points for a creative way of sharing!

Finally, a bonus question - do you think that positive stories that are happening with young people are being told enough in the media? Do you have some examples of cool things that deserve more air time?

FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Bonus Question - I think there definitely needs to be more happy news in the media, wether it's todo with young people or not, like someone doing special things like fighting out about global warming etc... or people winning prizes in competitions! 

@Ed_ thankyou- I do try my best to be weird in a good way🤣
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

• chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    edited May 2019
    Hi @Ed_ :)

I don't think young people are shown in a particularly positive light in the media. It's always Gen Z are ruining this or Gen Z aren't getting on the property ladder etc etc. But I know a lot of my peers are doing really great work for charity, for example, or even starting organisations of their own.

There's a really great group of young girls running a campaign in London about catcalling and changing the law surrounding street harassment. You can read about it here: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/apr/15/its-not-just-a-wolf-whistle-how-catcalls-became-anti-harassment-street-art
  • LabraBellLabraBell Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    What are the best things about being a young person today?
    People are gradually becoming more understanding of mental issues and the consequences they have on you.
    What are the things that keep you awake at night worrying?
    My first thought is whether my crush likes me back, and agonising over things he's said and done to work out if they were just because he likes me as a friend or because he's got feelings for me. Otherwise I worry that the world is slowly becoming more and more messed up, and that by the time us young adults are in our midlife there may well be total chaos all around. Dark stuff :sweat_smile:
    If one thing could change in the world to make it better, what would it be?
    Two things came to mind so I'll say them both. First is that there is so much hostility towards one another nowadays. Someone posts a picture on facebook about a happy puppy being a happy puppy and the comments are full of people calling the OP abusive or being rude, throwing insults at OP because of assumptions they made over tiny details. Second is the amount of stigma surrounding mental health issues. Even while it is gradually getting better there are still so many people that victim blame, or misunderstand people because they refuse to believe in what they can't see. I personally find that last point ironic but I won't go any further with it because I risk sounding slightly discriminative towards religious people and that's not the person I am. (Is discriminative even a word?)
    If The Mix could add or change one thing to what we do to make it better, what would it be?
    Honestly if I didn't know better about the strain it would put on moderators I would suggest longer support chats. Or perhaps a separate chat that's left open without moderation - but that would be tough because of the fact it means there is no filter for triggering or harsh content. Maybe a report or keyword-deleting-bot system would do the trick, but then that would still be tough to get right. I can understand that that would probably be too difficult to keep clean, all things considered.
    What do you mean I have to think of an intelligent signature?