Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What are you passionate about?

ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer

Hi Everyone,

We are interested to to know what issues you really care about?  We have had a few chats about it in the office and are keen to hear your thoughts on the topic? 

So imagine you are in charge of running the country right now and you could change one thing what would it be and why?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 

Italia :) 

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
-
Brene Brown

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I would change the fact it takes years of battling to get those who don’t suit mainstream education into a alternative provision. I would change it Becasue for the whole of year 7 my brother used to be in school for 2 hours and most days he wasn’t even at achool he would be at the care farm or swimming etc and we spent the whole of year 7 fighting to get him into the alternative provision he is in now ! 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    That laxatives should have restrictions on them when buy it. Like paracetamol. Because dont need ID and doesn't matter how many you buy. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    I love this idea! Except when talking to people I know well (or people I know have similar opinions) I feel pretty worried about sharing my political views - cause it's a sensitive topic, and I don't want to upset anyone. So honestly, edit/delete this if it's offensive :)

If I was in charge of running the country right now and could change just one thing, I'd do whatever I could to stop cruelty to animals. I'd ban meat, I'd make it illegal to ever kill them. I may ban animal products... I'm not sure if there's a way you could make dairy milk or eggs or honey that was kind. The way I view it is that all creatures are like humans; they breathe, are conscious, feel.

But it's kind of hard to pick, as there's so many issues. Homelessness, starvation, lack of funding for the NHS, the list only goes on. And if we can then focus on the whole world ahaha, there's war, and of course transphobia/homophobia/etc, the list only goes on. But what all of that eventually boils down to... Is hate. You might have to think about it a lot as it's sometimes more complicated than just "hate". But it always comes down to hate and selfishness and judgment and more hate.

So really, the one thing I'd want to change, is stopping the fighting and spreading the love. But I can't change how others think, I can't force anyone to love. So... The best thing I can do is be loving myself, try to be someone others can rely on, try to make others think and be inspired to love, and just be the change I want to see.

I've no idea if that makes sense to anyone else, but... Those are my thoughts I guess :lol:
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    A biggy would certainly be mental health.

all over the country youths are struggling and are not receiving the help they truly need. this is especially true in areas like cornwall.

don't get me wrong i will forever love the work you do and help as much as i can but services like CAMHS are cut to the bone, some people are being refused and its awful i've been there and it makes you feel like you're overreacting? 
    those who do get seen get rushed through.

I yearn for good mental health services x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    These ideas are great everyone.   

I appreciate that you all have lots of things your passionate about, and narrowing it down to one thing is quite hard.  It sounds like there is a lot of things you would change?  

Keep the ideas coming, and keep an eye out for the second thread in a few days. :) 

@kathleen0172Don't worry about offending anyone, everyone is passionate about different things.  I think in today's world more than ever it's important to be open to other peoples ideas. 

Loving the passion here,
    Italia 

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Drug legislation reform. Our current laws are outdated and only cause more harm.
    Vaccines - and the anti vax movement. There should be negative consequences for those that choose not to vaccinate their children.
    Weekender Offender 
  • CarolineVCarolineV Posts: 133 The Mix Convert
    Disability awareness, particularly invisible disabilities and increasing access to education and employment
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    Hey Everyone, 

Thanks for letting us know what you are passionate about.  :) 

This post is part of a series of posts we are doing to find out more and create discussion about how you want to go about making change.

The second post in the series can be found over here -  https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3593799/where-do-you-get-your-information-about-social-or-political-issues#latest 

We are still keen to hear what people are passionate about, or if you agree with one of the messages above let us know. 

More coming soon ;) 

Thanks
    Italia

-
    Brene Brown

• StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    CarolineV said:
    Disability awareness, particularly invisible disabilities and increasing access to education and employment
    I agree with you Caroline, I think there needs to be more awareness. 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    I can't choose one thing, but these have personal meaning for me:

More awareness of autism. 
    Preventing bullying.
    More educational and extra-curricula opportunities for those less fortunate.
    More help for those who have been abused/grown up in difficult circumstances/those with mental health issues.
    More awareness and help for young carers.
    More awareness, research and help for those with Alzheimer's. 
    Help for young offenders and a fairer criminal justice system.

The list goes on  :p

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • MsBingoMsBingo Posts: 64 Boards Initiate
    An issue that I really care about is social inequalities. If I was in charge of running the country, the main thing that I would change would be to try and make our society a lot more equal, especially for young people!
    I think it is so unfair that the amount of money your parents have has such a big impact on your life. I think that social inequality has such a big impact through every stage of life, from education, to employment, to healthcare.
    However, it is such a confusing topic, I would have no idea how to even begin to tackle it!

• Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    I am passionate about ending homelessness and I think it's possible! I volunteer helping get vulnerable people into temporary accommodation but don't think the current provisions are enough. 

(Crisis have already got a plan for this - https://www.crisis.org.uk/ending-homelessness/plan-to-end-homelessness/ if anyone is interested - so they've done the hard work already!!)
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • HarryTHarryT Community Manager Posts: 320 The Mix Regular
    edited March 2019
    Hiya all, just wanted to update you on this on behalf of @Italia and the wider @The Mix team.

I've spent this weekend working with a cool bunch of organisations (DCMS, Policy Lab, BYC) who @The Mix  are collaborating with to build a digital platform which will allow young people to have a say in government policy making consultations. We spent some time looking at your responses to this thread. They gave us a massive insight into the areas young people were passionate about - something which helped us design some platforms that were as attractive and relevant to as many young people as possible. I also wanted to mention all your responses were kept totally anonymous - we didn't share your usernames, profiles or any details, so your information is safe!  :)

It's a really exciting project and this certainly won't be the last you hear of it...we've got loads of cool plans to engage with you further! Thanks for all of the help - your responses were great! Anyone curious about the project just ask!
    Hello amazing human (yes, that's YOU). I wish that you could see the amazing person who I see within you  ✨