Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Disturbing report on CAMHS

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
Apologies for not seeing this until tonight, but according to the BBC News website on 24 September 2018, CAMHS is 'not fit for purpose'.

"Children with mental health problems are not receiving treatment until they are in crisis and sometimes suicidal, doctors have told the BBC.

A letter leaked to Panorama reveals at least one area's child and adolescent mental health service (Camhs) to be rationing care.

Leading psychiatrist Jon Goldin described the service as "not fit for purpose".

The government said it was investing an extra £1.4bn in child mental health."

Trigger Warning: Beware, halfway down the report is a disturbing 12 second short video.

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    This comes as no surprise to me. 

I've never experienced CAMHS before personally as I was apparently not bad enough for it (I presume as I was/am just anxious and not a danger to myself or others)  but I have heard really bad things about it. 

It's really rubbish we deserve better everyone does x

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Sadly this is something i think nearly everyone is aware of. Of the under funded NHS esp in mental health. Something definetly needs to change
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Just to confirm our suspicions, @Shaunie and @Laine Child mental health referrals are up 26% in five years, according to a report by Oliver Newlan for BBC 5 Live  :/

I'm suspicious that the government said it was investing an extra £1.4bn in child mental health - since when?

Just realised that maybe I should have posted this in Debate. Apologies @The Mix

Thank you, too, @Aiden

As for the government's '£1.4bn, it wouldn't surprise me if the amount is going to be spread over the next few years. That would be typical! :/
    Ehh, the Conservatives want to be seen to be doing the right thing. There again, I wouldn't like to be the Chancellor of The Exchequer. Whoever is in power, it's a thankless job.

I agree with you that there aren't enough psychiatrists, but someone who is gifted at teaching and who has an MA or a Doctorate in Psychology, could be teaching them. Except those in the profession need to weigh the time and money involved (the lifestyle cost); and then look carefully at the current and projected need for therapists and/or psychology instructors; and go from there.

There again, if a psychologist has no plans to earn a doctorate, then earning a Master's degree might still be of value in terms of teaching at the undergrad level and that could go a long way towards bringing child psychologists to join the profession to fill that need.

Last year I had dealings with CAMHS. After 20 minutes into the session the therapist had scribbled 'babbling on living in a dream she cannot ppossibly live, total waste of time. think i need a holiday'.

Before walking out, I read it back to the bitch. I always had a gift of reading upside down. :joy:

• Pabs11Pabs11 Posts: 17 Settling in
    I have had camhs for over 2 years and never once experienced anything bad from it, I would say it might depend on where your based at, but my experiences were of the best kind and they're the reason I am alot better than what I used to be. I don't know what spectrum you need to be at to recieve support from them but if it wasn't for CAMHS then i would be a whole lot worse and probably not alive. 

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    edited October 2018
    No worries @Floxy, just moved this to P&D. :) Also giving myself notifications for this thread as it's really interesting hearing what you all think - definitely a discussion worth having.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Thought I'd throw in my two cents :)

Firstly, the £1.4bn of funding is spread over 5 years. Although, it's concerning to know that the government is relying on some 2004 reports as part of their approach to mental health policy - there's definitely more recent reports and research on it! How this plays out per person is unknown though, because stats for mental health doesn't go back many years in the UK. It's said that funding has gone up 4% so far, but if I had to guess, I'd reckon that demand for mental health services has probably increased faster than that.

There's a debate on at the moment - although ideally we'd like to have stellar mental health services available to every one, we probably have to prioritise - which one do we put first? Is it better to roll out basic MH services to everyone in the UK, or improve the existing network of MH services we have?

Regarding employment, we're in a very strange place right now. There are several vacancies as people are leaving the psychology industry, but then those who do want to enter find that they are underqualified, and that there is little support once you're in! And of course, once the industry builds a reputation for being an awful place to work, potential applicants are warded off as well. 

There's a lot of questions out there, and not many answers.

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Azziman said:
    Thought I'd throw in my two cents :)

Firstly, the £1.4bn of funding is spread over 5 years. Although, it's concerning to know that the government is relying on some 2004 reports as part of their approach to mental health policy - there's definitely more recent reports and research on it! How this plays out per person is unknown though, because stats for mental health doesn't go back many years in the UK. It's said that funding has gone up 4% so far, but if I had to guess, I'd reckon that demand for mental health services has probably increased faster than that.

There's a debate on at the moment - although ideally we'd like to have stellar mental health services available to every one, we probably have to prioritise - which one do we put first? Is it better to roll out basic MH services to everyone in the UK, or improve the existing network of MH services we have?

Regarding employment, we're in a very strange place right now. There are several vacancies as people are leaving the psychology industry, but then those who do want to enter find that they are underqualified, and that there is little support once you're in! And of course, once the industry builds a reputation for being an awful place to work, potential applicants are warded off as well. 

There's a lot of questions out there, and not many answers.

The psychology industry demands people with psychology degrees, so all the more reason for those who already have a degree to use it to better their employment position. If they could get further sponsorship to do a Masters, say, in Clinical Psychology, then the road is open for them to earn more and receive better job satisfaction, or enter the teaching profession.

I already found out the British government was spreading their fundering over 5 years. But they haven't broadcasted it though. "seen to be doing the right thing" is their logo.

I wonder what it's going to be like after Brexit? Likely go abroad and find better employment would be a poss. Australia has been advertising for some time for people with degrees.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    For someone’s who’s seen a family member and is going through CAMHS herself it’s a very needed service that is so underfunded - for me I’ve been waiting close to 6 months for individual support but I know that hopefully it shouldn’t be long 
    it’s so sad to see waiting times so long becasye it’s such a vital services but there just simply isn’t the funds put into it 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited October 2018
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-45748562
    Was just reading this. He had regular intrusive suicidal thoughts and got told he would wait 40 weeks so he went private and they ending up getting in contact with him two years later. 

Which was like 6 years ago is obviously really bad and only getting worse. And if only getting worse like when will it get better. But suprising reading because when i was bit younger i tried to kill myself for the first time, (i had no help before and it looked like came from no where) but then i started seeing CAMHS literally from the day after that, for every week, but had no treatment cause was going onto age of adult services in less than a year so maybe why. I don’t know. But either way i was really grateful for that as was even aware of the underfunded. But anyway i just wanted to share that as i think look so much on negative experiences with CAMHS.

Floxy said:
    "Children with mental health problems are not receiving treatment until they are in crisis and sometimes suicidal, doctors have told the BBC.”

But is onyl when people act on their feelings they get help, cause seems like even if theyre in crisis and suicidal thoughts still not getting help which is really sad. 
    Post edited by Siena on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    I agree with  you, @Shaunie - it shouldn't have to be like that. :/