Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Religious people know they are full of shit.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    piccolo wrote:
    I wanna try that!

Has anyone noticed a worrying downward trend in my posts? Suddenly I'm only posting in P&D if there's something stupid or pointless to say :(
    i find myself in here quite a lot these days,talking bollox,its fun! :hyper: :D
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    this may or may not be linked to what we have been talking about, but thought you may have a theory.
    if i look at a stranger in a crowded room from behiend,for a few seconds and concentrate,they allways turn round and look straight at me.ive tried it loads of times and it allways works.is this my brain sending out a signal?..or am i just insane? :D
    or could it be your heart?
    ...http://books.google.com/books?id=tUsYMKQB104C&dq=does+the+heart+contain+brain+cells&oi=print&pg=PA190&ots=IWXnpdPKl4&sig=5MXXu6pLnWGZaq6KsPTjyD004yM&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-08,GGLG:en%26q%3Ddoes%2Bthe%2Bheart%2Bcontain%2Bbrain%2Bcells&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=1
  • Options
    right klint so ...one meeting with one guy leads you to the conclusion that ALL religous people are full of shit or ...have you actualy studied a few million of them?
    your one man may not have believed it ...may not yet have believed it fully ...was having moments of wealness in his faith.
    he might simply not have liked you.
  • Options
    proprioception

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprioception

I can map this as well, but it takes more time and I cannot do it visually(for others).

Your heart, your gut and your internal organs all have something to say about what you are getting up to.
  • Options
    right klint so ...one meeting with one guy leads you to the conclusion that ALL religous people are full of shit or ...have you actualy studied a few million of them?

I've met hundreds, they all exhibited the same behaviour. I just didn't realise it before the other day. Yes there may be someone out there who really truly believes but I haven't met any yet or see any evidence in the world of it.
    your one man may not have believed it ...may not yet have believed it fully ...was having moments of wealness in his faith.

Around someone like me? Nah!
    he might simply not have liked you.

We had reasonable rapport I reckon.
  • Options
    I don't think I follow how the above relates to the debate - though I haven't read all 18 pages!
  • Options
    We tend to wander around like a pissed person, especially if i am involved.

My proprioception of threads is kinda poor. ;)
  • Options
    klint ...how do you get to meet hundreds of religous people!
    I NEVER MEET ANY BUT ALWAYS PRESUME THIS IS COS I PURPOSELY AVOID THEM.
    OOPS CAPS oops
  • Options
    klint ...how do you get to meet hundreds of religous people!

Oh I grew up with them . I am sure I have said before. Also in my line of work you meet lots of "broken" people, most of whom have either struggled all their lives to adapt some crap idea that isn't "them" into their lives or have been traumatised by some idiot who was attempting to.
    I NEVER MEET ANY BUT ALWAYS PRESUME THIS IS COS I PURPOSELY AVOID THEM.

Weeeeell, you might do, thing is most people avoid these topics due to the massive offence you can cause in no time at all. I like them for that very reason. :p

Oh, and I think the state is a religion.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    piccolo wrote:
    I don't think I follow how the above relates to the debate - though I haven't read all 18 pages!
    It'll drive you nuts!

The State is a Religion? Oh my, what now, oh great one? :p
    It is hardly Religion. It is more of a useful managment tool.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    the brain starts as a blank canvas

Well, how does it work though, if it starts off blank? where do the needs and reflexes come from? Or, going deeper- how are the physical processes that lead to the needs and reflex get processed if the brain starts off blank? I don't get it... pickled :chin:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    katralla wrote:
    Well, how does it work though, if it starts off blank? where do the needs and reflexes come from? Or, going deeper- how are the physical processes that lead to the needs and reflex get processed if the brain starts off blank? I don't get it... pickled :chin:

Well, it isn't blank - think of it as a blank HDD with just the BIOS working! Ready for data to be installed.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    the brain comes with a hard wired bit ...breathing sight hearing and a whole host of other stuff.
    it also comes equiped with a massive learning area.
    play n instrument remember facts ...drive a car etc ...the brain appears to have no limit as to how much can be learned and stored.
    learning to ride a bike ...becomes hard wired ...meaning once you have learned it ...you cannot forget it.
    when you learn something new ...a new connection is made in the brain ...the more permament that connection is the more you use what you have learned and the more connections are formed with other connections.
    it is estimated that a healthy adult will have around ten trillion such connections. but this estimate keeps on going up.
    in other words ...you could go on absorbibg knowledge forever and never fill it up.

every piece of electronic communications equipment on the planet along with all it's cables and satelites and wireless connections etc ...has no where near the ammount of connections a brain does.
  • Options
    the brain comes with a hard wired bit ...breathing sight hearing and a whole host of other stuff.

Theres only four things main things hardwired at birth. Everything else is learned.
    it also comes equiped with a massive learning area.

Near enough infinite.
    learning to ride a bike ...becomes hard wired ...meaning once you have learned it ...you cannot forget it.

You can forget anything.
    when you learn something new ...a new connection is made in the brain ...the more permament that connection is the more you use what you have learned and the more connections are formed with other connections.

Repetition is key to new learning. No connections are permanent you can unlearn anything.

Three main resources - deletion, distortion and generalisation.
  • Options
    An 80 year old man went to his doctor for his annual check up. The
    doctor asked him how he's feeling. The 80 year old said "I’ve never felt
    better, I now have a 20 year old bride who's pregnant with my baby. What
    do you think about that?

The doctor considers his question for a minute and then begins.” I have
    an old friend, much like you, who is an avid trophy hunter and never
    misses a season. One day when he was going out hunting he was in a bit
    of a hurry and accidentally picked up his walking cane instead of his
    gun. When he got to the creek he saw a prime beaver sitting beside the
    stream of water. He raised his cane and went "Bang, Bang". Suddenly two
    shots rang out and the beaver fell over dead. What do you think about
    that?"

The 80 year old said "I'd say someone else pumped a couple of rounds
    into that beaver"

The doctor replied "my point exactly."
  • Options
    An 80 year old man went to his doctor for his annual check up. The
    doctor asked him how he's feeling. The 80 year old said "I’ve never felt
    better, I now have a 20 year old bride who's pregnant with my baby. What
    do you think about that?

The doctor considers his question for a minute and then begins.” I have
    an old friend, much like you, who is an avid trophy hunter and never
    misses a season. One day when he was going out hunting he was in a bit
    of a hurry and accidentally picked up his walking cane instead of his
    gun. When he got to the creek he saw a prime beaver sitting beside the
    stream of water. He raised his cane and went "Bang, Bang". Suddenly two
    shots rang out and the beaver fell over dead. What do you think about
    that?"

The 80 year old said "I'd say someone else pumped a couple of rounds
    into that beaver"

The doctor replied "my point exactly."
    :lol:
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    :lol:
    ooops! can't remember what i meant to paste there now ...
  • Options
    :lol: Moroccan Roll

In reply to this thread, I believe there are alot of "christians" who cling to every rule, debate and thing theyre told of, by other people, because they don't think for themselves. Theyre the ones who probably dont believe "theyre own shit", mainly cos it isnt theres in the first place.

I believe in God, but I believe everyones perception is different, which is why I don't go to church and avoid Christians at all costs.
  • Options
    Religion itself is a form of evil and is created to suit a certain lifestyle depending on the individual. You average church of England Christian seems pretty harmless and has usually been brought up through the church in a religious background to know no better.

Other religions are more dangerous....
  • Options
    Kimberley wrote:
    Religion itself is a form of evil and is created to suit a certain lifestyle depending on the individual. You average church of England Christian seems pretty harmless and has usually been brought up through the church in a religious background to know no better.

Every Religion has fundamentalists that are capable of being dangerous, even Christianity, pro-lifers and all...

except maybe Buddhism
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Every Religion has fundamentalists that are capable of being dangerous, even Christianity, pro-lifers and all...

except maybe Buddhism
    Yeah, can't think of an extremist buddhist. Maybe they go round forcefully shaving everyone's heads.
  • Options
    Kimberley wrote:

sooo ...it's now evil to have a religous life!
    more evil to have a political life in my book.
  • Options
    Actually the real danger is allowing the religious to have a political life, Rolly. ;)
  • Options
    Actually the real danger is allowing the religious to have a political life, Rolly. ;)

i agree with that,whether you meant it or not.
  • Options
    spot on.
  • Options
    Kimberley wrote:
    Religion itself is a form of evil

Do you have proof that EVRY religion is evil?

Like?
  • Options
    evil = devil = satanism = religion
  • Options
    Where is good old klintock anyway? He hasn't been seen for a while.

Surely not on a foreign holiday. How could one take a foreign holiday if...
  • Options
    Yeah, can't think of an extremist buddhist. Maybe they go round forcefully shaving everyone's heads.
    Nah, they're just really really nice.
  • Options
    Kimberley wrote:

Thankyou, but I was brought up a Protestant and I'm sorry but there is nothing evil about it. Calling religion a 'form of evil' makes you no better than the fundementalists themselves who also believe in absolute good and evil. Plus what you are saying is condescending. Just because some people are brought up with a Christian family does NOT make anybody stupid, nor does it make them evil.

There are nice people and not so nice people out there and religion just so happens to be a handy tool for the powerful to manipulate people. There is beauty in every religion, every belief system has its own strong points and weak points, you can't tar all people with the same brush just because of who they worship because that is little beter than racism.