Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religious people know they are full of shit.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thoughts are made up of past situations(experience),

Bingo!

What are those past events experienced/known through?
  • Options
    Teatime assortment Mr. Roll. Only the very best broken biscuits for me plx.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Bingo!

What are those past events experienced/known through?
    its accessible data for the cpu(brain)...isnt it?...aww go on then i know your dying to tell me!
  • Options
    its accessible data for the cpu(brain)...isnt it?...aww go on then i know your dying to tell me!

:D

You experience everything through the senses. your memories are stored sensory information.

You have a memory, and you see, hear, feel, smell and taste the past. You do this very, very quickly.

So you have two sets of experience - both of them sensory based, one internal, one external. If you watch someone, you can see where they keep those pictures, where they hear those sounds, their nose wrinkles at a remembered smell as much as at a real one.

This is how I knew the guy was lying. he kept the pictures of stuff he knew was rubbish in the same place as he kept god.

Think of a picture of someone you like and think of a picture of someone you don't like. If those pictures are in the same place I will eat my hat.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

You experience everything through the senses. your memories are stored sensory information.

You have a memory, and you see, hear, feel, smell and taste the past. You do this very, very quickly.

So you have two sets of experience - both of them sensory based, one internal, one external. If you watch someone, you can see where they keep those pictures, where they hear those sounds, their nose wrinkles at a remembered smell as much as at a real one.

This is how I knew the guy was lying. he kept the pictures of stuff he knew was rubbish in the same place as he kept god.

Think of a picture of someone you like and think of a picture of someone you don't like. If those pictures are in the same place I will eat my hat.
    so then,where the fuck is this external database?
  • Options
    so then,where the fuck is this external database?

Your senses in the moment. Your eyes, your hands, your sense of smell in the present time etc.

Right now you are in front of the PC, and you are reading this post, and your eyes can see the shape of the letters as you read it to yourself, and I am wondering if you are aware of the sound of your own voice in your head as you read.

So some of your experience is external - that is dealing with the outside world, and some of it is dealing with the internal world, comparing to memory what you are currently experiencing.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Your senses in the moment. Your eyes, your hands, your sense of smell in the present time etc.

Right now you are in front of the PC, and you are reading this post, and your eyes can see the shape of the letters as you read it to yourself, and I am wondering if you are aware of the sound of your own voice in your head as you read.

So some of your experience is external - that is dealing with the outside world, and some of it is dealing with the internal world, comparing to memory what you are currently experiencing.
    i thought you needed phsyical proof for things to be real?

so,where is this external database?......or is it just reading a persons appearance?
  • Options
    so,where is this external database?......or is it just reading a persons appearance?

Hmmm. I am struggling coming up with a metaphor for this tbh.

Lets try it this way. While your internal thoughts are operating, they also affect your external behaviour. If you think of things that you like close to you, when you think of them, your eyes will change focus as though they were really there. Because for you, at that time, they really are.

So, while I cannot have any direct experience of that person's "reality" I can make damn good guesses about how they are using their brain. Then I check on those guesses using questions.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Hmmm. I am struggling coming up with a metaphor for this tbh.

Lets try it this way. While your internal thoughts are operating, they also affect your external behaviour. If you think of things that you like close to you, when you think of them, your eyes will change focus as though they were really there. Because for you, at that time, they really are.

So, while I cannot have any direct experience of that person's "reality" I can make damn good guesses about how they are using their brain. Then I check on those guesses using questions.
    so you just read their appearance and behaviour.everyone does that,doesnt mean there is anything more than an insecure person faced with a droid that speaks binary code at em at the doorstep.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Makes me wonder if cannabis is like overclocking your brain?
    Probably more like rebooting in safe mode.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Probably more like rebooting in safe mode.
    :lol: Hehe.
    so,where is this external database?

So, where are the files on my PC? Show me them outside the PC. Same with thoughts, ideas and memories. They don't exist OUTSIDE the brain. They are the way it functions.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    :lol: Hehe.

So, where are the files on my PC? Show me them outside the PC. Same with thoughts, ideas and memories. They don't exist OUTSIDE the brain. They are the way it functions.
    yea?...obviously,so what?....a database born through experience...yes?

whats the point?

you can prove the workings of the mind,but you still can't prove that god doesnt exist.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:

whats the point?

you can prove the workings of the mind,but you still can't prove that god doesnt exist.
    klintoks talking about body language but trying to glamourise it a bit.

all thgis comparing your mind with a pc's operating system is a very weak way of explaing how the brain works ...how it produces personality is unknown ...by the best minds at work on it.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    Yes. Which you cannot really access or find yet. But definatley NOT an intangible seperate mind. It is all inside the brain. Thing of the physical brain as a PC's memory, or maybe Hard Disk, and the thoughts, ideas, and memories as data stored on them.

I don't know why people still think we have some sort of "mind" floating around with us that is seperate. Any idea? I used to until I thought about it ... I guess because I associated it with "Soul" which I was told existed and would go to heaven after I died. Joy for Christian schooling.
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    whats the point?
    I think we know why we have braind and conciousness. It offers us the best chance of survival.
    DEANO MAC wrote:

Can't prove he does either. I can prove he isn't the good most religions say he is thouh. I shall wait for conclusive evidence on God before beleiving or not. I shall find out when I die.
  • Options
    the assertion that cells totaly devoid of self awareness can somehow unite to produce consciousness is totaly insuportable.
  • Options
    the assertion that cells totaly devoid of self awareness can somehow unite to produce consciousness is totaly insuportable.

There is not a working theory on how it does happen yet. So any prejudgment on any theory is rather premature. No-one knows yet. They have barley scratched the surface of how the brain functinos and does what it does yet. Our science is simply far to limited.

So... what do you suggest exactally? Some intangible mind that floats along with us? A "soul"? I feel simply that this is the best current theory.
  • Options
    you see,the whole point of this thread was that klintock could somehow prove that religious people are full of shit!

i'm not religious,but i'm also not that stupid to think that there isnt anything else.that would be ignorant.he does a pretty good job of blasting religion and the whole concept of it,and why etc,but offers no real alternative way of life.he shifts the goal posts in the midst of his insane ramblings,and really does dissapear up his own arsehole.

reality is this,and i think klint is just as confused and scared as the rest of us,just doesnt want to admit it.
  • Options
    correct!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    There is not a working theory on how it does happen yet. So any prejudgment on any theory is rather premature. No-one knows yet. They have barley scratched the surface of how the brain functinos and does what it does yet. Our science is simply far to limited.

So... what do you suggest exactally? Some intangible mind that floats along with us? A "soul"? I feel simply that this is the best current theory.
    modern reserchers in this area constantly find themselves quoting a famous physiologist from the 1920's called sherrington ...'it's as if the physical networks of the brain are some kind of magic loom'.

your the only one who has mentioned soul by the way.

the search for the I ...inside each of us is as fascinating to scientists and philosophers as ever.
    how can cells ...chemicals and electricity produce such an incredible thing?
    love ...longing ...memory ...the ability to plan ahead ...

sorry ...that should have read ...enchanted loom.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:

your starting to deveate from klintocks theorem
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    your starting to deveate from klintocks theorem

Who said I had to agree with him totally? Just partly.
  • Options
    in the 1960's ...heart transplants took off in south africa ...i think the guys name was dr barnard ...
    he found if you put a womans heart in a man ...the man would awake with a certain ammount of feminine urges he had never had before ...and vice versa.

later as people survived longer ...he was discovering that people knew or remembered things that were totaly alien to their experiences in life.

the brain was the only place which had brain cells such as neurons ...then it was discovered that the heart also had these cells.
    which bought a whole new meaning to being ruled by the heart or the head.
    some researchers have suggested this may well be how we talk to ourselves and make decisions ...of the heart and the mind.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

your talking utter bollox.

your also trying to glamourise the art of percieving body language.
    something i have always been very good at naturaly.
    i suss people very quickly and mostly correctly ...very handy when your a CRIMINal.
    I ALSo started traing up as a councilor which helped ...not develop it more but recognise what i already had.
    but it wasn't for me having to deal with recovering drunks and junkies everyday.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

a long winded way of saying,"i don't really know".
  • Options
    in the 1960's ...heart transplants took off in south africa ...i think the guys name was dr barnard ...
    he found if you put a womans heart in a man ...the man would awake with a certain ammount of feminine urges he had never had before ...and vice versa.

later as people survived longer ...he was discovering that people knew or remembered things that were totaly alien to their experiences in life.

the brain was the only place which had brain cells such as neurons ...then it was discovered that the heart also had these cells.
    which bought a whole new meaning to being ruled by the heart or the head.
    some researchers have suggested this may well be how we talk to ourselves and make decisions ...of the heart and the mind.

The heart has Neurons... ? How rare. Never knew that.

So those little voices I hear... one may be heart the other the brain? Hmm. Thats quite a thing to think about... Maybe when you get drunk and the brain starts to shut off... you get ruled by heart. Thats why you do certain things you regret. You give in to passions of the heart, so to speak!

Obviously with female organ transplants to men the urges would change... foreign hormones would invade as well! That would be quite a scary thing.

Though the neart having neurons is odd news to me! They don't publicise that much. Guess not as it threatens their teories! Scientists have a hard time admitting they are wrong when they are. I wonder what it is like being an octopus too... having your neorons spread across your body!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The heart has Neurons... ? How rare. Never knew that.

So those little voices I hear... one may be heart the other the brain? Hmm. Thats quite a thing to think about... Maybe when you get drunk and the brain starts to shut off... you get ruled by heart. Thats why you do certain things you regret. You give in to passions of the heart, so to speak!

Obviously with female organ transplants to men the urges would change... foreign hormones would invade as well! That would be quite a scary thing.

Though the neart having neurons is odd news to me! They don't publicise that much. Guess not as it threatens their teories! Scientists have a hard time admitting they are wrong when they are. I wonder what it is like being an octopus too... having your neorons spread across your body!
    this was actualy supressed as much as possible as it would probably freak people out a bit.
    it now seems that heart muscle cells are wired directly to certain areas in the brain that give a unique link and exchange of information.
    i will have to see if i candig out some old books as i can find nothing on ye old web.

but heres a little snippet you might interesting ...not a clue who this guy is ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=tUsYMKQB104C&dq=does+the+heart+contain+brain+cells&oi=print&pg=PA190&ots=IWXnpdPKl4&sig=5MXXu6pLnWGZaq6KsPTjyD004yM&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-08,GGLG:en%26q%3Ddoes%2Bthe%2Bheart%2Bcontain%2Bbrain%2Bcells&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=1
  • Options
    this was actualy supressed as much as possible as it would probably freak people out a bit.
    it now seems that heart muscle cells are wired directly to certain areas in the brain that give a unique link and exchange of information.
    i will have to see if i candig out some old books as i can find nothing on ye old web.

but heres a little snippet you might interesting ...not a clue who this guy is ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=tUsYMKQB104C&dq=does+the+heart+contain+brain+cells&oi=print&pg=PA190&ots=IWXnpdPKl4&sig=5MXXu6pLnWGZaq6KsPTjyD004yM&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rls%3DGGLG,GGLG:2006-08,GGLG:en%26q%3Ddoes%2Bthe%2Bheart%2Bcontain%2Bbrain%2Bcells&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=1
    i'm all for evidence of something other than we understand,but i think the heart is much the same as an oil pump in an engine.it is a vital component for the body.
    the human emotion where the "heart" is concerned,is just that imo..an emotion of a living being.
  • Options
    Your gut is also full of neurons.

You can sometimes tell how people are processing because they use organ language like "I feel it in my gut" "this smells wrong to me" "looks good to me" and so on.

Yes, it is a heightened form of body language reading. The thread has deviated a bit. Part of it has been me having a pop at proving there is no god using logic and the other part is down to me discussing that religious people don't believe what they shovel (which aren't the same thing) based on my observations of them.

Everyone keeps information stored as pictures, sounds etc, when they think they access these pictures, sounds etc and you can see them doing it. These things have differing places in space around them - a voice of someone you love might be up close and soft, someone you don't like muffled and sound like it's coming from the other side of the room or whatever.

So theres a place for uncertainty, for belief, for love and joy and all the rest of it. There has to be, or the brain couldn't tell those things apart.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Your gut is also full of neurons.

You can sometimes tell how people are processing because they use organ language like "I feel it in my gut" "this smells wrong to me" "looks good to me" and so on.

Yes, it is a heightened form of body language reading. The thread has deviated a bit. Part of it has been me having a pop at proving there is no god using logic and the other part is down to me discussing that religious people don't believe what they shovel (which aren't the same thing) based on my observations of them.

Everyone keeps information stored as pictures, sounds etc, when they think they access these pictures, sounds etc and you can see them doing it. These things have differing places in space around them - a voice of someone you love might be up close and soft, someone you don't like muffled and sound like it's coming from the other side of the room or whatever.

So theres a place for uncertainty, for belief, for love and joy and all the rest of it. There has to be, or the brain couldn't tell those things apart.
    this may or may not be linked to what we have been talking about, but thought you may have a theory.
    if i look at a stranger in a crowded room from behiend,for a few seconds and concentrate,they allways turn round and look straight at me.ive tried it loads of times and it allways works.is this my brain sending out a signal?..or am i just insane? :D
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    this may or may not be linked to what we have been talking about, but thought you may have a theory.
    if i look at a stranger in a crowded room from behiend,for a few seconds and concentrate,they allways turn round and look straight at me.ive tried it loads of times and it allways works.is this my brain sending out a signal?..or am i just insane? :D
    I wanna try that!

Has anyone noticed a worrying downward trend in my posts? Suddenly I'm only posting in P&D if there's something stupid or pointless to say :(