Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The lads mags

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As a percentage of the population, I'd say there are fuck all rapists out there.

Snap!
    Bollocks. Ideals of female beauty are culturally determined.

Wrong way around as usual. Like art tells you anything but one person's subjective view anyway.

It all comes down to whether the woman in question likes the clumsy advance she's getting. if she does, no problem, if she doesn't it's assault. :rolleyes:

In this thread it's been assumed that men will always appreciate being felt up and women will always hate it. Obviously bollocks, but I am curious as to where the idea comes from.

So, either men grow thick skins or they become mind readers. Guess which one happens?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ok blagsta, you win.

Groping is a sleazy shitty thing to do and all people who grope should be castrated and hung and their victims given compensation.

:rolleyes:
    turlough wrote:
    Btw, I'm deliberately trying to annoy you. :D

Yes, its like being savaged by a dead sheep
  • Options
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Snap!

Wrong way around as usual. Like art tells you anything but one person's subjective view anyway.

It all comes down to whether the woman in question likes the clumsy advance she's getting. if she does, no problem, if she doesn't it's assault. :rolleyes:

In this thread it's been assumed that men will always appreciate being felt up and women will always hate it. Obviously bollocks, but I am curious as to where the idea comes from.

So, either men grow thick skins or they become mind readers. Guess which one happens?

ever been screened for autism or aspergers?
  • Options
    I really don't think you'd find groping a bit of a laugh if you were surrounded by big blokes much taller than you who were all leering and being threatening, Turlough. Stop trying to wind Blagsta up and actually think about what you're saying.

But groping really isn't like that. Well in my case anyway, a grope for me is seeing a girl walk by and giving her a squeeze on the arse or whatever. It's all in good nature, anything otherwise isn't a grope IMHO

Blagsta, wise up I'm only having a laugh, get a sense of humour.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    But groping really isn't like that. Well in my case anyway, a grope for me is seeing a girl walk by and giving her a squeeze on the arse or whatever. It's all in good nature, anything otherwise isn't a grope IMHO

You think thats acceptable? What if someone did it to your g/f or mum or sister?
    turlough wrote:
    Blagsta, wise up I'm only having a laugh, get a sense of humour.

Yes, see the "dead sheep" comment. Get a sense of humour yerself. :p
  • Options
    Don't you get it? Anybody can be a rapist. The possibility is inside everybody. I'm not going to start chanting 'All men are rapists' etc. but do you seriously think that someone is evil through and through before they rape and murder? I don't think I could ever murder anyone but I can't discount it as a remote possibility, given the right trigger.

Ok so a man who gropes a girl and reads lads mags is more likely to rape than someone who doesn't.

You're right, it is all about triggers. However it's always subjective, everyone has their own reasons. A harmless grope and a wank over a lads mag isn't a trigger for rape.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ok so a man who gropes a girl and reads lads mags is more likely to rape than someone who doesn't.

You're right, it is all about triggers. However it's always subjective, everyone has their own reasons. A harmless grope and a wank over a lads mag isn't a trigger for rape.

No one is arguing that its such a simplistic connection.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You think thats acceptable? What if someone did it to your g/f or mum or sister?

Yes, see the "dead sheep" comment. Get a sense of humour yerself. :p

My dad gropes my mum quite a lot. Sometimes she laughs, others she hits him and tells him to fuck off. depends on her mood.

Ok, i'm learning, soon i'll be a comic genius.
  • Options
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Bollocks. Ideals of female beauty are culturally determined. Afro-carribean and African cultures tend to idealise big women with big bums. Western culture idealises slim women. Any student of art history will tell you that the ideals change over time.

Yes, because those ideals are fashions.

Look at jennifer lopez...men have always liked big arses on women, just as they have always liked big breasts, big eyes, symmetrical faces etc etc. Also, for every man who prefers the archetypical size 6 blonde, there's another who prefers something entirely different.

Culture defines fashion - an abstract concept - but primal psychology defines attraction.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No one is arguing that its such a simplistic connection.

Exactly, there are hundreds of other factors which come into place, I just don't think these two things are really that harmful and have that much of a negative impact.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Yes, because those ideals are fashions.

Look at jennifer lopez...men have always liked big arses on women, just as they have always liked big breasts, big eyes, symmetrical faces etc etc. Also, for every man who prefers the archetypical size 6 blonde, there's another who prefers something entirely different.

Culture defines fashion - an abstract concept - but primal psychology defines attraction.

what a load of bollocks
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    My dad gropes my mum quite a lot. Sometimes she laughs, others she hits him and tells him to fuck off. depends on her mood.

Do you really think thats the same as groping a complete stranger?
    turlough wrote:
    Ok, i'm learning, soon i'll be a comic genius.

don't give up the day job
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Exactly, there are hundreds of other factors which come into place, I just don't think these two things are really that harmful and have that much of a negative impact.

:banghead:
  • Options
  • Options
    I nearly punched Kermit in Leeds city centre not long after we'd first met, because I (mistakenly) thought he had squeezed my arse. It was some jumped up little prick instead. This was about 7 months after I'd been raped and was still nervous about crowded places.

Some laugh.

I'm sorry to hear about that.

However, when I think of a grope. I think, pub or niteclub, cheeky wee grope, just all part of going out. Otherwise, I'll agree it's quite sick.
  • Options
    ever been screened for autism or aspergers?

Yep, done a shitload of tests on me once of a day. I am ambi-dextrous and middle brained. IQ comes in about 145-165 when I don't argue the tests (or at least it did back in 92 when Hull uni did them).

Ever been screened for schizophrenia, imaginary phenomenon boy?

Or extreme hypnotic susceptibility? You seem to believe everything you are told by people in "authority"..
  • Options
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Do you really think thats the same as groping a complete stranger?

My sister, not sure, it's all up to her how she reacts, I can't think on behalf of my sister. If she likes taking a grope then that's her choice.

As for my mum, then no I'd probably be a bit angry as she's married but my mum never goes to pubs or niteclubs by herself. In fact, my mum probably doesn't even know what a niteclub looks like.
  • Options
    Why does the location of the grope change the intention? It doesn't change the response from me.

A guy coming up from behind in a town centre to grope and run off is different than giving a grope in a niteclub. A grope in a niteclub is generally good natured.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm married - does that mean I should expect to be assaulted if I dare to go out for the evening?

I don't give a shit if one grope is good natured and the other isn't - it all feels the same.

Ok, some women don't mind a grope though. You do accept that?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    what a load of bollocks

What do you think would happen if, say, there was a society whose culture dictated that large, heavily built women with hairy faces were the ideals of femininity that women were expected to strive towards? Do you think guys would be abandoning their size 10 girlfriends to start fucking the hairy faced size 18 girl next door?
  • Options
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Ok, some women don't mind a grope though. You do accept that?

A lot do, a lot don't. Don't think there's much disputing that.

girl with sharp teeth - i really don't know how you can draw such a connection between some intentionally harmless grope and rape. Rape is as about related to a intentionally harmless grope as telling someone to fuck off is to sticking a glass in their face.
  • Options
  • Options
    To be honest, i think the culture of finding acceptable to grope women in public is awful, whats wrong with speaking to someone first ? checking out their verbal response and body language before deciding to touch their personal areas ? I was pinned against a wall by my throat, some huge chunky guy a few years ago in the night club decided i was asking for it because i had a tight tee and knee boots on and tried to pull my knickers down with one hand. It makes me very worried if men touch me. I know a lot of women enjoy being hit on physically by guys but surely just a bit of communication would be better ?
  • Options
    And if that was the "norm" you would have women whinging that "culture" was making them grow a moustache when they had sparse facial hair.

Thin girls would be be-moaning the fact that they couldn't put on enough weight to land the man of their dreams and that it was all men's fault for expecting a whale with a face like Luigi or Mario.

The problem isn't what's expected then, it's the insecurity that's already there and it's not going to get solved by anything other than self acceptance.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    What do you think would happen if, say, there was a society whose culture dictated that large, heavily built women with hairy faces were the ideals of femininity that women were expected to strive towards? Do you think guys would be abandoning their size 10 girlfriends to start fucking the hairy faced size 18 girl next door?

:confused: