Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The lads mags

I was looking through the BBC News website earlier and came across an interesting article about "lads mags". You know the ones - FHM, Zoo, Nuts, that sort of thing. The writer of the opinion article, Kate Smurthwaite, condemns the magazines, doing a dis-service to both women and the men who read them. For example, and I quote - "One magazine's notorious "Win a boob job for your girlfriend" competition [censured as irresponsible by the Advertising Standards Authority in October] shows similar disregard for women's wellbeing. Hardly surprising, given that we're characterised as indecisive, irrational, excessively talkative, and obsessed with our appearance."

Click here for article.

What do you make of these lads mags, then? Are they any good, or just a shameless excuse to look at pictures of topless women?

Answering my own question, I think they're crap. During the summer, I worked at Haven. One of the jobs I had to do every few days was putting out the new magazines. I used this as an opportunity to look at the magazines. I came across all the lads mags. Nothing interesting to read in any of them, bar some pub trivia articles. I think they're rubbish magazines. They don't treat women very well, and they treat their readers with contempt. My verdict? Don't bother!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think lad's mags are funny. They are meant to be vapid and all the rest of it with curvaceous women scantily clad with the odd gadget and footy article.

It's what most 18 - 25 year old lads think about now and then.

Personally, knowing you from on here I could tell you don't read them because they're too "out there" for you. I just don't think you've been out on the lash, shagged enough women and dumped them the next day enough to get some of the daft banter from them.
  • Options
    They are crap as magazines.

Don't think theres anything wrong with wanting to look at nekkid women though. They are a shameless exceuse to look at half naked women, and theres nothing at all wrong with that.
  • Options
    well for the first time in ages I have bought 2 FHM's. I only bought them coz 1) the first had cheryl tweedy on the cover, love her, so sexy and 2) the 2nd came with a calander lol.

I don't know. I don't think they are sexist or deogetory to women. I mean the women in them aren't forced to be there and they like doing it if you read the articles. Their honey's competition gets thoussands every year and there are quite a few letters in the mag form women themselves who read the mag.

I have to say they are full of adverts though and the fashion section doesn't interest me so thats waste on my time.

Saying that I am only speaking for the FHM, I don't read the other mags. I have bought a couple of loaded's over the years and one Zoo I think. They are just mags. They pass the time. They aren't much different to women's magazines except they have more sex and women in less clothing in them, also with jokes.

They do present the lad culture though. Very drink centred which is debatable on how suitable that is, and they do sometimes have distatsful jokes about people, like richard whitely. But they do provide some laughs, especially the true stories part.

My verdict? Harmless but expensive for what they are.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    Personally, knowing you from on here I could tell you don't read them because they're too "out there" for you. I just don't think you've been out on the lash, shagged enough women and dumped them the next day enough to get some of the daft banter from them.
    Please don't make the debate personal.
  • Options
    I'm not?

I'm just saying I can understand why you'd say that.
  • Options
    i've never read any
    but from the covers ive seen they don't look like much.....a few topless girls posing on flashy cars and footy and game articles
    typical male entertainment :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I can see why SG think's that as well. Lads mags are good for a laugh, some scantily clad women, couple of good articles. All well and good.
  • Options
    1983 wrote:
    I'm not? I'm just saying I can understand why you'd say that.
    That is not why I have said that. The reason why I say they're "crap" is partly because it's not what I look for in a magazine. I have nothing against pictures of topless women - that's fine. But I'd rather have something to read in there as well, with articles that take more than five seconds to read. As magazines, I don't think they're particularly sexist, I just think they're not very good.

My alleged personal circumstances have nothing to do with this debate, please don't make out that is the case.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote:
    i've never read any
    but from the covers ive seen they don't look like much.....a few topless girls posing on flashy cars and footy and game articles
    typical male entertainment :rolleyes:
    Same could be said for all this shitty Cosmoplitan bullshit....
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    That is not why I have said that. The reason why I say they're "crap" is partly because it's not what I look for in a magazine. I have nothing against pictures of topless women - that's fine. But I'd rather have something to read in there as well, with articles that take more than five seconds to read. As magazines, I don't think they're particularly sexist, I just think they're not very good.

Well stick to Anananananova.com then. :|
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It has nothing to do with my personal circumstances, please don't make out that is the case.

I didn't?! I just said you need to be more of a lad and stop over analysing everything and just let go and have a pint and steal a parking lot cone. Seriously. Then you would get the laddish theme they all have.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:

Cosmo is shite. I prefer Company, it's cheaper. You can spend the extra 60p you save on Nuts and dazzle all your blokey mates with anecdotes from there. :D
  • Options
    They can't be any worse than Cosmo or... I don't even know what other magazines are out there and that filth. Are you a good girlfriend? Take this quiz and find out. Read this article to see how you can please your man better. I've never read a mans magazine, but I cannot believe they would be any worse. You can have a half naked chick on a riding lawn mower and thats bad, however you can get 20 ways to tell if you man is boyfriend material and thats legit. At least theirs has some bathroom entertainment in it.
  • Options
    Different People, Different Strokes.
  • Options
    Lads mags?! Pfft!

There's more to life than birds and cars.
  • Options
    They are just light entertainment. They aren't going to be newsweek or gardeners world for christs sake.
  • Options
    Lads mags?! Pfft!

There's more to life than birds and cars.

Your right, the missing part of life is money, lots. thats how you get the girls and cars ;)
  • Options
    i like FHM, haven't read the others
  • Options
    Depends what you're looking for - if I want an in-depth discussion on the internal political structures of DR Congo I'm not going to read it. But they're supposed to be slightly vapid and about cars, women, sport and beer - nothing wrong with reading about that either.
  • Options
    I don't think that objectifying women and presenting them merely as objects for teenage boys to wank over is a particularly healthy state of affairs.
  • Options
    To be honest womens mags are just as bad with things. Half naked men and "how to control" your man etc. But apparantly thats ok...
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    To be honest womens mags are just as bad with things. Half naked men and "how to control" your man etc. But apparantly thats ok...

Who's argued that that is OK? Its not IMO. Except that - we still live in a patriarchal society, women are paid less than men, women are raped and beaten far more than men. Women are portrayed as accessories, sex objects, only valid for their looks. etc
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Who's argued that that is OK? Its not IMO. Except that - we still live in a patriarchal society, women are paid less than men, women are raped and beaten far more than men. Women are portrayed as accessories, sex objects, only valid for their looks. etc

I was being sarcastic...
  • Options
    Not my thing.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I think they're rubbish magazines. They don't treat women very well

Lads mags good for good looking women and amusing stupid articles, I don't think they pretend to be any more than that. It's what young blokes want to see, and it's just innocent fun, I can't see much wrong with it.

I think reading a few would be good for you actually, maybe you'd stop being such a creep! :yuck:
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I sometimes flick through FHM at the barbers, That's all they have, but I cant see much wrong with it.

My sister hads loads of interesting books with titles such as "How to spot a bastard from his star-sign" etc.. :no:
  • Options
    Lads Mags are just a bit of fun.
  • Options
    I think they are quite funny, sleazy but funny. The amount of crap in there is hilarious. I guess that could be said for womens magazines too. I don't think any kinda magazine like those should be taken seriously, as others have said, it's just a bit of fun. Plus a way for companies to make money. If you don't like them, don't buy them. Simple as.
  • Options
    The writers refer to women as if they were animals or prized possession. One article might explain how to "train" a girlfriend;

Nothing wrong with the above when you consider there was a recent tv programme showing women how to 'train' their boyfriend.

It's pure escapism. Nothing wrong with their articles IMO.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    i agree, most womens magazines make you feel ugly and tell you how to look
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

And you think lads mags present some sort of subliminal messages that girls are mere objects...if I'm gawking at a half naked girl on a magazine page, I'm not thinking of how the female species is being presented and how I should treat them...it's just a bit of sleaze, people are capable of making their own decisions on women.