Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The lads mags

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    See the post above yours? See the posts from other women on the thread? That tell you anything?

Domestic violence statistics

What the hell has domestic violence statistics got to do with groping someone? :confused:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Women can rape men.

And I'm not talking about rape being the same, I'm talking about groping someone.

Are you deliberately being obtuse?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What the hell has domestic violence statistics got to do with groping someone? :confused:

You really can't see the connection? Really? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Yes I do, what's your point?

Flirting and wearing revealing outfits have next to nothing to do with how someone reacts when groped and what the implications are on the other sexes feelings and emotions.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Crazy, the mention of someone "enjoying being objectified" (paraphrased).

A woman might enjoy the power she holds over a man as a result of him objectifying her. But to say someone enjoys their intelligence being disregarded and their being treated as non-human (i.e. vegetable or mineral) just baffles me.
    thats what i was trying to say with my post. i think some people are missing the point and are going off on complete tangents.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You really can't see the connection? Really? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Nope, make the connection blag.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes I do, what's your point?

Flirting and wearing revealing outfits have next to nothing to do with how someone reacts when groped and what the implications are on the other sexes feelings and emotions.

You don't see any connection between men thinking its OK to grope women and men thinking that women deserve to be raped for acting flirty? Really? Do you know any women?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nope, make the connection blag.

I'm lost for words.
  • Options
    turlough do us a favour and read what we're saying!
    how would you feel if you was a young girl in a club and one men held your arms so the other could grope you?
    you don't have a clue and you're making ridiculous comparisons.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You don't see any connection between men thinking its OK to grope women and men thinking that women deserve to be raped for acting flirty? Really? Do you know any women?

But I've already said there are fuck all rapists out there and those that are seedy pricks regardless of the objectification of women in magazines out there.

What I'm trying to say, is a grope is mainly a harmless thing, some people like you take it thick and make weird random assumptions, most people take it in good humour.

And yes I do know women, many. Have you ever eaten food before? Sorry, I like asking stupid questions after answering stupid questions.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    turlough do us a favour and read what we're saying!
    how would you feel if you was a young girl in a club and one men held your arms so the other could grope you?
    you don't have a clue and you're making ridiculous comparisons.

That's not a grope, that's bordering on assault. A harmless grope means fuck all. And I've said that all along and I'm not budging on this one.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i think some people are missing the point and are going off on complete tangents.

I concur.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    But I've already said there are fuck all rapists out there
    an estimated 50 000 women were raped in 2003
    http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1539646,00.html
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    But I've already said there are fuck all rapists out there

You think? You'd be surprised.
    turlough wrote:
    and those that are seedy pricks regardless of the objectification of women in magazines out there.

Do you think its healthy to objectify people in this way?
    turlough wrote:
    What I'm trying to say, is a grope is mainly a harmless thing, some people like you take it thick and make weird random assumptions, most people take it in good humour.

You're dead wrong on that.
    turlough wrote:
    And yes I do know women, many. Have you ever eaten food before? Sorry, I like asking stupid questions after answering stupid questions.

Your opinions make you sound like you never actually talk to any women about these things. I still find it astounding that you can't actually take on board what women on this thread are saying. You can only see it from your pov.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    That's not a grope, that's bordering on assault. A harmless grope means fuck all. And I've said that all along and I'm not budging on this one.

Listen to what the woman is saying! She doesn't see it that way.

Fucks sake. :mad:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You think? You'd be surprised.

Do you think its healthy to objectify people in this way?

You're dead wrong on that.

Your opinions make you sound like you never actually talk to any women about these things. I still find it astounding that you can't actually take on board what women on this thread are saying. You can only see it from your pov.

As a percentage of the population, I'd say there are fuck all rapists out there.

Dead wrong, how? What lipsy said I wouldn't constitute as a grope, and why is it that only women have to take offence at a grope.

Ok, I've taken the POV of the women on this board, most are offended, some aren't. Ok, I respect your POV. Happy now.

And blag, wanna take a chill pill? :D
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    and why is it that only women have to take offence at a grope.

No one has argued anything remotely like that have they?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Dead wrong, how? What lipsy said I wouldn't constitute as a grope, and why is it that only women have to take offence at a grope.
    that was an extreme example of some of the things i used to have to put up with. thankfully im older now and i can go to classier places.

anyway, i've had enough. im going back to my assignment!

:p
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    While I wouldn't go so far as to say "men fuck who they are told to fuck", to deny that ideals of beauty are culturally determined* is to deny history and reality (although klintock does that fairly regularly). Look at the history of the female nude in art. Look at what is considered sexy in afro-carribean culture and compare it to white western culture. Suntans in European culture used to be considered common and unsexy as it denoted that someone with a suntan was a manual labourer and worked outside - pale skin was sexy. With the rise of airtravel that changed. There are examples everywhere.

A highly covetted woman 200 years ago in Russia would still be highly covetted in Britian 2005. The basics of beauty haven't changed. Man 500 years ago still liked the same sorts as he does today. Fashions come and go, but the basics remain.

Suntans aren't really considered sexy either...it's a fashion thing, and a declining fashion at that. Obviously if tans equate to manual labour, there's a negative association...which causes fashion to adopt the reverse look. But fashion doesn't equal sexual attraction, that's the key point you're missing.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No one has argued anything remotely like that have they?

You seemed to imply something of the sort.

Good luck with the assignment lipsy :thumb:
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    A highly covetted woman 200 years ago in Russia would still be highly covetted in Britian 2005. The basics of beauty haven't changed. Man 500 years ago still liked the same sorts as he does today. Fashions come and go, but the basics remain.

Suntans aren't really considered sexy either...it's a fashion thing, and a declining fashion at that. Obviously if tans equate to manual labour, there's a negative association...which causes fashion to adopt the reverse look. But fashion doesn't equal sexual attraction, that's the key point you're missing.

Bollocks. Ideals of female beauty are culturally determined. Afro-carribean and African cultures tend to idealise big women with big bums. Western culture idealises slim women. Any student of art history will tell you that the ideals change over time.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You seemed to imply something of the sort.

where?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    where?

You've said look at womens POV in the thread. Why not just everyone who is concerned? it's not like us men haven't been groped up ya know.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You've said look at womens POV in the thread. Why not just everyone who is concerned? it's not like us men haven't been groped up ya know.

You're being deliberately obtuse.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're being deliberately obtuse.

Erm....I am? :confused::p
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Erm....I am? :confused::p

If you're not being then you're being a bit dense. I have said look at women's pov because that's what we're talking about - representations of women. I have not discounted when men are objectified (in fact I think I actually wrote in one post that objectification isn't healthy for anyone), I haven't discounted the feelings of men who are offended or intimidated by being groped - however, seeing as you think groping is just a bit of a laugh, I'm not really sure what you're on about. Where exactly have I implied "that only women have to take offence at a grope."? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If you're not being then you're being a bit dense. I have said look at women's pov because that's what we're talking about - representations of women. I have not discounted when men are objectified (in fact I think I actually wrote in one post that objectification isn't healthy for anyone), I haven't discounted the feelings of men who are offended or intimidated by being groped - however, seeing as you think groping is just a bit of a laugh, I'm not really sure what you're on about. Where exactly have I implied "that only women have to take offence at a grope."? :confused::confused:

Ok blagsta, you win.

Groping is a sleazy shitty thing to do and all people who grope should be castrated and hung and their victims given compensation.

Btw, I'm deliberately trying to annoy you. :D
  • Options
  • Options
    Are you being serious here? Almost all rapes go unreported, and almost all rapes are committed by someone already known to the victim. For example, their boyfriend, or their boss. They've been previously caring and considerate people. Now where do these men get the idea that it is acceptable to rape, or abuse? You'll find many rapists are actually in stable relationships, and are considered 'family men' and liked in their community. Rapists don't walk around with 'Evil Prick' tattooed on their foreheads you know.

Yes and they are pricks.

Most normal people don't become rapists because of magazines.
  • Options