Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is homophobia illegal?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Thats disgusting behaviour in a public place, keep it to your queer bars or at home, we don't want to witness such goings-on thank you.
    Just because homosexuality has been legalised it seems they think they can breach normal standards of decency and offend a good many people in the process. It may be legalised but its not socially acceptable, and there is a difference!

Okay, you don't get to say we. You don't get to tell me what I think, or speak for me or the rest of the country. Your not leading a political party, your not speaking to other people who do. Your giving your own personal opinion to a group of individuals, which is what this message board is for.

So stop using 'we' - use 'I', unless you have evidence to justify what you're saying.

Otherwise being called a troll is looking justified.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm not a bigot. I've nothing against homosexuals as such, but as I've said previously, I don't want to see them engaging in sexual activity in public places like pubs & restuarants - there are queer bars and home for these kinds of activity. I believe its done simply as a form of exhibitionism, or as a "gay statement"!

Do you class kissing as sexual activity? What sort of kissing would that be then?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Do you class kissing as sexual activity? What sort of kissing would that be then?
    A peck on the cheek is acceptable.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    A peck on the cheek is acceptable.

So a kiss on the lips is sexual activity?
  • Options
    Who decided that a peck on the cheek was acceptable?

How do we get them to up the ante? :D
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    So a kiss on the lips is sexual activity?
    A brief touching of the lips is ok, as in missed the cheek!
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'm not a bigot. I've nothing against homosexuals as such, but as I've said previously, I don't want to see them engaging in sexual activity in public places like pubs & restuarants - there are queer bars and home for these kinds of activity.

But to press a point that you have comprehensively ignored up to this point, do you have a problem with straight couples engaging in the same activities?
    I believe its done simply as a form of exhibitionism, or as a "gay statement"!

Maybe it is, sometimes. When I've done it, it's never been that though - just a simple display of affection, or are only straight people entitled to display affection?

Btw, you've ignored yet another question put to you:
    Dare I ask what you would do about it, given the choice?

You disapprove - what would you do if you had the chance to put that disapproval into practice?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    A brief touching of the lips is ok, as in missed the cheek!

You must be a devil with the ladies.
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    But to press a point that you have comprehensively ignored up to this point, do you have a problem with straight couples engaging in the same activities?
    Yes, if its excessive displays of sexual activity.

Maybe it is, sometimes. When I've done it, it's never been that though - just a simple display of affection, or are only straight people entitled to display affection?
    No.

You disapprove - what would you do if you had the chance to put that disapproval into practice?
    Thats not possible. We're talking about social etiquette here on the grand scale and I just think its better if people, straight or gay, kept serious sexual moves to private rather than public places. At the end of the day people generally set the standards of behaviour in public. I think across many areas, not just the one we're talking about, standards have dropped significantly, and this demeans us all.
  • Options
    Sex in public places is ace though...admittedly only if you don't get caught.
  • Options
    It might demean you.

It doesn't demean most of us.
  • Options
    I believe, that although most people here are going out of their way to not appear homophobic and thus stick out the 'it's fine whatever' sign, there is a difference. A lot of people are offput by gay people kissing - I have no problem with gay people but if they were seriously snogging it would make my stomach turn (probably the same with straight couples). But it wasn't my pub. If the landowner didn't like it or if his patrons were complaining, they are well within their rights. It's wrong, but at the end of the day it's their right. You get all sorts of different bars where people aren't allowed in for a load of different reasons.

At the end of the day people go to places where they feel comfortable and you do get divides setting up, and there's a difference between having the right to kiss, and the right to kiss in someone elses establishment. It's the same for straight couples - it just so happens that on the whole society is less offended by these acts.

As someone said before, it's attitudes that need to change, not the law.
  • Options
    You are possibly the ultimate follower. :banghead:

Who decides "social mores" nitiwit?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    You are possibly the ultimate follower. :banghead:

Who decides "social mores" nitiwit?

I hope that wasn't directed at me.
  • Options
    Okay, I'm calling time on the troll comments.

People on these boards disagree with each other. Serious trolls are removed. I see evidence of people here who disagree with each other and holds views that are wildly opposed. That doesn't justify insulting each other, as much as they may make you angry.

Opposing someone's position doesn't require you to demean yourself by throwing insults. If you disagree challenge them, don't act like another kid in a playground - it stunts debate and simply leads to threads descending into a series of insulting and irrelevant one liners.
  • Options
    Course not.

It's hard to respond in time to RK because so many people want to tell him to stick his opinion up his ass I am always like the third in queue.

Your post wasn't even up when I wrote mine.

I don't agree with you though. ;)
  • Options
    As someone said before, it's attitudes that need to change, not the law.

Attitudes will only change if they are challenged though, won't they?

Rich Kid
    Thats not possible. We're talking about social etiquette here on the grand scale and I just think its better if people, straight or gay, kept serious sexual moves to private rather than public places.

Fair enough - as long as you apply that equally to gay and straight people. I was really wondering if you had 'public decency' legislation in mind...
  • Options
    Ibex wrote:
    Attitudes will only change if they are challenged though, won't they?

The law isn't the best tool for changing people's attitudes though. In America where black and white children had been segregated in school they were suddenly told by law they had to go to the same ones. And they're still racist to this day.
  • Options
    The law isn't the best tool for changing people's attitudes though. In America where black and white children had been segregated in school they were suddenly told by law they had to go to the same ones. And they're still racist to this day.

Oh I quite agree with that, although legislation to remove active dicrimination is sometimes necessary. I was more referring to people challenging prejudice for themselves - standing up to bigots and arguing back. IMO that's the best way to change attitudes.
  • Options
    Theres a fasinating debate going on here. I can't believe i started it all off!
    Of course i'm on my mates side and being bisexual myself i don't see why anyone should be thrown out in what is essentially an adults only pub, in which although its a "straight" bar, a lot of gay people frequent it.
    If anyone has a problem with gays or bisexuals its just that THEIR problem.
  • Options
    Gay people are cool, that's all I have to say on this matter. :thumb:
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    If anyone has a problem with gays or bisexuals its just that THEIR problem.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    I agree.

The landlord might also agree but he has to pay his bills and be aware of the fact that he has to please the majority of his customers in order to "get by".

It's a purely business decision on his/her part.

I find it strangely akin to the middle class householders who dread having an Asian family moving next door - not because they are racist, but that they know other people are and it will damage the value of their house.
  • Options
    There is a lot of homaphobia around I woulod say a straight person objecting to seeing two gay people get off more than they would straight people is very common.
    You only have to look at Richard and Judy's campaign against the "fake" lesbians tatu, would they have done that had it been a 17yr old straight couple I dont think so.
  • Options
    Kashifrodo wrote:
    Gay people are cool, that's all I have to say on this matter. :thumb:

Not really, they are just people, some are 'cool' some are complete bastards. You cant generalise.
  • Options
    I've found a lot of lesbians (in particular) to be very biphobic. Where do bisexuals fit in, if the bigots of the straight community don't accept us and the narrow minded of the gay community don't accept us? Thats not a generalisation btw, just an observation from personal experiences. Personally i'm accepting of any sexuality, its non of my business who someones has sex with.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Not really, they are just people, some are 'cool' some are complete bastards. You cant generalise.

:yes: I agree. I see sexuality as a choice, and people shouldn't be demonised or angelised for it. But a lot of the time it seems to me that people are afraid of being labelled homphobic (or racist) and so automatically love all gay people. They're just people, the majority of people I would guess don't really care if they are gay or not. Same with race. If people start talking about race, suddenly you get people saying "I love black people" or "My best mates are from India" like they need to prove something.
  • Options
    Surely what we're talking about here is appropriate behaviour in the public environment, regardless of sexual orientation.

If you're a gay man on a lonely beach with a friend then the "appropriateness" is somewhat different to them being in a family-type pub or restaurant.

Lets all be fair and reasonable about this rather than take extreme positions based on sexuality.
  • Options
    :yes: I agree. I see sexuality as a choice, and people shouldn't be demonised or angelised for it. But a lot of the time it seems to me that people are afraid of being labelled homphobic (or racist) and so automatically love all gay people. They're just people, the majority of people I would guess don't really care if they are gay or not. Same with race. If people start talking about race, suddenly you get people saying "I love black people" or "My best mates are from India" like they need to prove something.

Yeah i agree with everything except the part about sexuality being a choice. I didn't choose to be bisexual i just recognised attractions that were all ready there. I could superficially choose to be straight or a lesbian, but i wouldn't really be true to my identity, because i'm not just attracted to the one gender. Sexuality isn't about choice at all, its about who you are.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    If you're a gay man on a lonely beach with a friend then the "appropriateness" is somewhat different to them being in a family-type pub or restaurant..

I've all ready mentioned it was an adults only pub.. no kiddies present at all.
    Though personally i'd like my childrten to grow up respecting everyone regardless of sexuality.