Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religion

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don't worship the media, Government and Banks though do you?

Haha, true. Plenty of people worship fame, power and money though ;)

As for the question, I'm not sure. Just trying to define it gives me a headache, it's interesting to hear people's views on it though! I'm definitely in agreement about it being the most prolific cause of conflict.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    A recent programme argued that atheism could be described as a religious system, while someone may believe in God, an athiest may have utmost faith in the fact that God doesn't exist and have a series of sets and values to affirm this. Fucks with your head a bit in the end ;)
    I don't see it like that myself. I don't believe in any deities or supreme beings. I lack that belief. And I don't have 'faith' in anything.

You could argue that one of the pillars of atheism is its rejection of the concept of faith. Couldn't be different from religious beliefs IMO.
  • Options
    That wasn't ghost's point though, I was pointing out in response to Lipsy that we're manipulated by a multitude of things every day. That doesn't mean to say we believe those things are part of someone's religious system or beliefs, but it religion isn't the only thing that could be constructed as a tool for manipulation.

No it's not the ony thing that manipulates us, but it's the only thing I can think of where people openly embrace it, and either can't see that side of religion or are just too stupid to realise. We don't have a lot of control over manipulation and how it's used against us by whoever, but we do with religion.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I don't see it like that myself. I don't believe in any deities or supreme beings. I lack that belief. And I don't have 'faith' in anything.

You could argue that one of the pillars of atheism is its rejection of the concept of faith. Couldn't be different from religious beliefs IMO.

But couldn't you argue that athiests have the belief in the non-existance of God? I suppose it depends on your definition of faith (as it's bloody impossible to define religion in one fell swoop) but I have friends who put, I suppose a 'faith' or affirmation in the theory of Evolution and separation of Church and State, and believe in these things almost with the same passion that a Jewish friend of mine practices Judaism.

I suppose it all comes back to the definition of religion.
    No it's not the ony thing that manipulates us, but it's the only thing I can think of where people openly embrace it, and either can't see that side of religion or are just too stupid to realise. We don't have a lot of control over manipulation and how it's used against us by whoever, but we do with religion.

Well, I suppose it comes down to the individual. I try to be aware of my surroundings of what I consider manipulative, for instance, women's magazines, I find very manipulative, and my control of that is not to expose myself to them. Other influences are a little more difficult, but I'm at least aware. With religion, I think with the different interpretations of various things, it could possibly be argued that we can also manipulate the dogma, in turn, slowly changing religious belief for some, which is where other denominations come in, again though, it's pretty individual, and probably turns into a form of cultural relativity, which, as my tutor suggests, it's a bad way to look at things. And now my head hurts.
  • Options

You are tarring all religions with the same brush.
    You know of every religion and its beliefs then do you?

Most religions are not like the Major world religions. Major world religions seek to control the way people behave and manipulate them to do whatever they want. Just take Catholicism as an example, or Islam.
    Most religions that are older than Christ do not seek to control everyone and everything.
    You could argue that Judaism is an exception to this but they are not supposed to preach to try and convert people.
  • Options
    But couldn't you argue that athiests have the belief in the non-existance of God? I suppose it depends on your definition of faith (as it's bloody impossible to define religion in one fell swoop) but I have friends who put, I suppose a 'faith' or affirmation in the theory of Evolution and separation of Church and State, and believe in these things almost with the same passion that a Jewish friend of mine practices Judaism.

I suppose it all comes back to the definition of religion.
    Or indeed the definition of 'faith' ;)

I understand faith to mean the ability to believe in something for which there is no evidence whatsoever and/or which seems highly improbable to rational thought.

There is overwhelming evidence, circumstancial or otherwise, to support the theory of evolution to a large extent so I wouldn't think one needs faith to believe in it.
  • Options
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    You are tarring all religions with the same brush.
    You know of every religion and its beliefs then do you?

Most religions are not like the Major world religions. Major world religions seek to control the way people behave and manipulate them to do whatever they want. Just take Catholicism as an example, or Islam.
    Most religions that are older than Christ do not seek to control everyone and everything.
    You could argue that Judaism is an exception to this but they are not supposed to preach to try and convert people.

I probably am, and no, I don't. I never said I did. My point still stands though, you can't choose to be manipulated by some things, but you can choose whether or not you are going to let any form of religion manipulate you by either subscibing to their belifs or not.
  • Options
    Surely the opposite of religous belief isn't atheism, which is a belief there is no God, but Agnostcism which holds to the view that they're not sure and neither believe in God or disbelieve in him.

The belief there is no God is a irrational or rational as belief. Both are believing something for which they have no proof.
  • Options
    I probably am, and no, I don't. I never said I did. My point still stands though, you can't choose to be manipulated by some things, but you can choose whether or not you are going to let any form of religion manipulate you by either subscibing to their belifs or not.

That's true.
    Why do you think that the pews at churches are slowly beginning to empty? People are starting to see through its bullshit. And about bleeding time too.
    I choose to be religious but there is no manipulation within my religion. You don't have to be manipulated to have good morals, or to believe in something.
    You do have to be manipulated to kill in the name of it or condemn all those who are not of it. This is what most Major Religions do.
  • Options
    You don't have to be manipulated to have good morals

Exactly, but you can take that further. You don't need a religion to have good morals.

I don't need a set of rules to live my life or to be a good person. I know killing someone is wrong, but I didn't need a two-thousand year old book to tell me that.
  • Options
    Arguably the most enjoyable (and funniest) chapter in Dawkins' The God Delusion is the one in which he deals with the claims that religion is linked to morality or indeed that you cannot be a moral person if you are not religious.

A top class debate stopper that chapter is :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Arguably the most enjoyable (and funniest) chapter in Dawkins' The God Delusion is the one in which he deals with the claims that religion is linked to morality or indeed that you cannot be a moral person if you are not religious.

A top class debate stopper that chapter is :D

I've been meaning to get me a copy of that. Just to put on the coffee table for when I invite the Jehovah's Witnesses in.
  • Options
    It's a brilliant read.
  • Options
    I saw his lecture on youtube, which was really good. Though it was just a case of him doing a good job of presenting and arguing a load of stuff that seemed really obvious to me anyway.
  • Options
    The belief there is no God is a irrational or rational as belief. Both are believing something for which they have no proof.

So is the belief that there is no Flying Spaghetti Monster then an irrational belief?
  • Options

I don't need a set of rules to live my life or to be a good person. I know killing someone is wrong, but I didn't need a two-thousand year old book to tell me that.

By your own admission you do live by a set of rules that govern how, in your opinion, you can be a good person.

You don't kill (I assume!) because you know it is wrong. That is your 'rule'. Many others share this rule, be it because a supreme being passed down this message via religious scriptures or because they simply 'know' it is wrong, like yourself.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    So is the belief that there is no Flying Spaghetti Monster then an irrational belief?

???? Are you honestly suggesting that Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and religous beliefs are comparable to the 'flying spaghetti monster'. if so I'm puting you in the irrational camp...
  • Options
    No, but the Flying Spaghetti Monster example helps in the arguement that it is not important to prove the non-existance of something over the need to prove its existance.

ETA: I do think I am irrational though, many of my beliefs are govened by illogical emotive responses to things over the purely logical.
  • Options
    Exactly, but you can take that further. You don't need a religion to have good morals.

No, some people do not need religion to have good morals. A lot of people make their own moral code in accordance with law.
    Some people with religion have bad morals (some Priests and Cardinals for example).
    I don't need the Old or New testsament of the bible telling me what to do either as they are not part of my faith.They were written by men about the nature and actions of an Omnipotent, Omniscient being. I do not believe in such a being as No one is perfect or all powerful. And besides, do you know a man that can make children on his own.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    No, but the Flying Spaghetti Monster example helps in the arguement that it is not important to prove the non-existance of something over the need to prove its existance.

It doesn't really though does it? for example, outside the bible Flavius Joseph mentions someone called Jesus. Archelogical evidence also often (albeit not always) accords with the Bible. This doesn't show the existence of God, but it does reduce the suggestion that the Bible is pure fiction.

But my argument is that proving the existence of God is as impossible as disproving his existence as both are based on a belief. Short of dying there is no way to settle the argument.

and if you read the uncritical assessment of Dawkins book by many atheists I'm reminded in so many ways of fundamentalist Christians and their views on the sanctity of the bible. The proseltysing of many atheists is also just as bad as that of the happy clappers (with at least the Christians trying to save my soul as a defence) and the claims that religion is evil reminds me of medieval christianity and its attitudes to heretics.

The difference between atheism and Christianity seems to me, not one of any logic or rational thought, but between two unsubstantiated beliefs.

Given that I personally can neither show that od does or does not exist it seems to me that the only rational thing to be is agnostic...
    ETA: I do think I am irrational though, many of my beliefs are govened by illogical emotive responses to things over the purely logical

Fair enough, that's being human...
  • Options
    big words :p some good arguements though. Although I currently proclaim my athiesm, I am leaning towards agnosticism because I accept that there is much I do not, and can not truely 'know'.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    By your own admission you do live by a set of rules that govern how, in your opinion, you can be a good person.

You don't kill (I assume!) because you know it is wrong. That is your 'rule'. Many others share this rule, be it because a supreme being passed down this message via religious scriptures or because they simply 'know' it is wrong, like yourself.

It's not a rule really, it's more common sense. The thing is, I would kill if I was in a situation forced me to. I don't go around murdering people because it's common sense (to me at least) that it's wrong and that there's no need for it. I'm not too hot on what the Bible says, but would that be classed as wrong or a sin or something if you were forced to kill in, let's say, a self defence situation? For me it wouldn't, i would be breaking no 'rule' (and i'm not talking abut the law here, i'm talking about my own moral standards) and I would be commiting no sin, because I would simply judge the situation and act accordingly.
  • Options
    No, some people do not need religion to have good morals. A lot of people make their own moral code in accordance with law.
    Some people with religion have bad morals (some Priests and Cardinals for example).
    I don't need the Old or New testsament of the bible telling me what to do either as they are not part of my faith.They were written by men about the nature and actions of an Omnipotent, Omniscient being. I do not believe in such a being as No one is perfect or all powerful. And besides, do you know a man that can make children on his own.

Well obviously in that example I was referring to Christianity. All religion boils down to is a core set of beliefs that are shared amongst people. Well I refuse to subscribe to anyone elses beliefs but my own, because these people will not lead the life I lead, or be in the same situations as me and they will never, ever think like me, so why should they have a say in how my life is run.
  • Options
    The idea that if you can't unequivocally disprove the existence of something that the chances of it existing or not existing are equal, is frankly preposterous, and flies in the face of everything scientific, ever. It baffles me that people see gaps in scientific answers and immediately start trying to fill them with religion. Moreover, to compare Richard Dawkins to happy-clappy fundamentalists is complete tosh. One tries to raise consciousness and the other does it utmost to suspend and actively suppress it.

I don't have a problem with people holding religious beliefs, but to compare blind faith and scientific method as equal intellectual schools of though, is totally laughable.
  • Options
    The idea that if you can't unequivocally disprove the existence of something that the chances of it existing or not existing are equal, is frankly preposterous, and flies in the face of everything scientific, ever. It baffles me that people see gaps in scientific answers and immediately start trying to fill them with religion. Moreover, to compare Richard Dawkins to happy-clappy fundamentalists is complete tosh. One tries to raise consciousness and the other does it utmost to suspend and actively suppress it.

I don't have a problem with people holding religious beliefs, but to compare blind faith and scientific method as equal intellectual schools of though, is totally laughable.

Who's doing that? I've yet to see the existence of God scientifically disprooven. To suggest atheism equals scientific truth seems to me to be stretching the meaning of the word science to its limits (especially as various scientists have been religous and have seen no disparity between scientific thought and a belief in God).
  • Options
    Who's doing that? I've yet to see the existence of God scientifically disprooven. To suggest atheism equals scientific truth seems to me to be stretching the meaning of the word science to its limits (especially as various scientists have been religous and have seen no disparity between scientific thought and a belief in God).
    I happen to agree with Richard Dawkins that scientific evidence (with regards to evolution, and the theory that every living thing has evolved from the most simple beginnings) is incompatible with an idea that places, by definition the most complex being that could ever exist, at the beginning. I don't think that to be an athiest, you have to flat out believe that there is no God, and have faith in that belief (in the face of any evidence presented to the contrary). You just have to believe that based on current evidence, the probability of there being a God are so small, that you can dismiss it as a possibility. Therefore it is based on rational thought more than faith that God exists ever could be, because an athiest is open to any evidence that would prove them wrong (when you argue your position from a position of logic and evidence, you are always open to being proved wrong). Of course this only applies to athiests who form their opinion on this basis, which the majority do.
  • Options
    I happen to agree with Richard Dawkins that scientific evidence (with regards to evolution, and the theory that every living thing has evolved from the most simple beginnings) is incompatible with an idea that places, by definition the most complex being that could ever exist, at the beginning. I don't think that to be an athiest, you have to flat out believe that there is no God, and have faith in that belief (in the face of any evidence presented to the contrary). You just have to believe that based on current evidence, the probability of there being a God are so small, that you can dismiss it as a possibility. Therefore it is based on rational thought more than faith that God exists ever could be, because an athiest is open to any evidence that would prove them wrong (when you argue your position from a position of logic and evidence, you are always open to being proved wrong). Of course this only applies to athiests who form their opinion on this basis, which the majority do.

Exactly. Rational and critical thought inherently leads to belief the chances are there is no God. Faith is a complete suspension of critical thought.

I completely agree with Richard Dawkins as far as his position on religion goes. He’s not an atheist, and to paraphrase him: On a scale of one to ten, one being absolutely 100% sure there is a God, and ten being the opposite, I am a nine. I cannot absolutely disprove the existence of God, but everything we know about the universe indicates there isn’t a God.
  • Options
    I happen to agree with Richard Dawkins that scientific evidence (with regards to evolution, and the theory that every living thing has evolved from the most simple beginnings) is incompatible with an idea that places, by definition the most complex being that could ever exist, at the beginning. .

Evolution does not disprove the existence of God. It probably does suggest that Genesis is either incorrect or is a metaphor. That said most Churches don't believe in the literal truth of Genesis either.
    I don't think that to be an athiest, you have to flat out believe that there is no God, and have faith in that belief (in the face of any evidence presented to the contrary). You just have to believe that based on current evidence, the probability of there being a God are so small, that you can dismiss it as a possibility.

Aren't you contradicting yourself. You start of by saying you don't have to completely reject the idea of God and then finish by saying you dismiss it as possibility. Do you reject (ie atheism) or not.

Also absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    Therefore it is based on rational thought more than faith that God exists ever could be, because an athiest is open to any evidence that would prove them wrong (when you argue your position from a position of logic and evidence, you are always open to being proved wrong). Of course this only applies to athiests who form their opinion on this basis, which the majority do

Where are these open minded atheists? I wouldn't mind a few of them posting on here. Most seem as open minded as the average Christian to their belief being prooved wrong (ie there is no possible proof which will satisfy them as the proof cannot exist until the moment we're capable of bringing people back from the dead).

Given that the evidence that God does or does not exist is not around, surely the only logical position is to be agnostic.
  • Options
    Exactly. Rational and critical thought inherently leads to belief the chances are there is no God. Faith is a complete suspension of critical thought.

but atheism is just as mucgh faith. Can you proove (rather than infer) there is no God. Otherwise your belief is based on faith
    I completely agree with Richard Dawkins as far as his position on religion goes. He’s not an atheist, and to paraphrase him: On a scale of one to ten, one being absolutely 100% sure there is a God, and ten being the opposite, I am a nine. I cannot absolutely disprove the existence of God, but everything we know about the universe indicates there isn’t a God.

That suggests he's an agnostic and given that as a scientist he must surely realise the current limitations of our knowledge of the Universe (ie next to nothing) probably a more intelligent view than I'd previously given him credit for.
  • Options
    Evolution does not disprove the existence of God. It probably does suggest that Genesis is either incorrect or is a metaphor. That said most Churches don't believe in the literal truth of Genesis either.
    I never said it did. I said that any logical argument based on scientific evidence states that their is no God for the reasons I posted (i.e. science points to the universe starting from humble origins and gradually becoming more complex, therefore logically the most complex there could ever be - God - could not come at the start of this process).
    Aren't you contradicting yourself. You start of by saying you don't have to completely reject the idea of God and then finish by saying you dismiss it as possibility. Do you reject (ie atheism) or not.
    I dismiss it as a possibilty until there is any scientific evidence to point to it. To say I dismiss it as a possibility absolutely entirely is inaccurate, but it's simply a term of phrase for something that I consider so inprobable, it doesn't merit me entertaining it at present, in the same way that the idea that we're really being held in an artificial reality for machines to use as batteries doesn't merit me entertaining it at present either. It's just a matter of semantics.
    Where are these open minded atheists? I wouldn't mind a few of them posting on here. Most seem as open minded as the average Christian to their belief being prooved wrong (ie there is no possible proof which will satisfy them as the proof cannot exist until the moment we're capable of bringing people back from the dead).
    Really? So you've put some evidence before them to attempt to prove them wrong have you? I'm an open minded athiest. Show me any scientific evidence of God existing, and I'll gladly listen. It seems to me that people who don't believe in God are always open to being shown proof to the contrary.
    Given that the evidence that God does or does not exist is not around, surely the only logical position is to be agnostic.
    Being agnostic is a logical position to take as well. But I can't see how it isn't logical to not believe in something that there is no evidence for. Not believing in something doesn't mean that you completely reject any possibility of anyone ever proving you wrong (which would be an illogical position to take), but it does mean that you think it's about as probable as the theory that Elvis was actually abducted by aliens. Belief in God isn't logical, because no-one that comes to that conclusion weighs up the scientific evidence in advance. Equally though, I don't think anyone who does believe in God claims to do so because they came to that conclusion logically and scientifically, rather than a matter of faith.

It's such a pain in the arse debate to have though. If such a thing as a God could be proven scientifically, then surely it would cease to be God, since it would by definition comply with the laws of science and the universe, and wouldn't adhere to the definition of an omnipotent being. If it can't be proven scientifically, then it doesn't truely exist as part of this universe. If it exists as part of the human mindset, in the same way as abstract ideas like government and language, then as soon as humans cease to exist, God ceases to exist, and therefore this isn't the definition of the omnipotent being or creator either. In my opinion, the only way it could work is if God = universe, and personally, I'd rather just refer to the universe as the universe. But this is really starting to sound like a discussion that should be occuring in a coffee shop in Amsterdam, so I'll leave it at that.