Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religion

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    A lot of people have tried to find out. So far all the research in the world points to the non existence of a God. It has never been seen, heard or otherwise detected by any means whatsoever; infrared, radar, microwaves, radiation... nothing.

Given that we're still struggling to map out the Solar System the fact we haven't yet discovered God hardly seems a compelling argument...
  • Options
    Then again God and 'Heaven' are supposed to be just about our heads, not 5 billion light years away.
  • Options
    That's one of the many reasons I left the chains of Monotheism behind.

Converting to Odinism, A polytheistic religion, was one of the best choices in my life so far. It made more sense to me, in the same way that you believe that God can't exist because of science and other facts.
  • Options
    Then again God and 'Heaven' are supposed to be just about our heads, not 5 billion light years away.

The only people who seem to take the bible literally are fundamentalists and atheists
  • Options
    The only people who seem to take the bible literally are fundamentalists and atheists
    The truest words spoken in this thread. :yes:
  • Options

Well one equals out the other. They are Yin and Yang on the religious scale so to speak.
    Fundamentalists use it to prove God, and Atheists use it to deny God.
  • Options
    So presumably you believe that all those who speak against homosexuality and see it as a sin (let alone an abomination), including the head and all significant ranks of the Catholic Church as well as many senior clergy in Anglican church and many others from other faiths, can be safely described as fundamentalists then?

It is generally accepted that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Given that Heaven will be a very large place containing billions of souls and legions of angels and other godly beings, it must be really far away for man not to have detected it already. Does this mean when one dies and goes to Heaven they must spend 100,000 years travelling towards paradise? One million year? Five hundred million years?

The bottom line remains that is wrong to compare atheism with fundamentalism or to suggest that since we do not know for certain whether there is a God or not both camps have a 50:50 chance of being true and should deserve equal credibility.

Not when all the evidence and rational knowledgeone we've acquired supports the 'no' camp and makes the 'yes' camp very highly improbable.
  • Options
    So presumably you believe that all those who speak against homosexuality and see it as a sin (let alone an abomination), including the head and all significant ranks of the Catholic Church as well as many senior clergy in Anglican church and many others from other faiths, can be safely described as fundamentalists then?

Why do they believe in the literal truth of Adam and Eve? But yes, I'd regard the heads of Catholicism as fundamentalists.
    It is generally accepted that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Given that Heaven will be a very large place containing billions of souls and legions of angels and other godly beings, it must be really far away for man not to have detected it already. Does this mean when one dies and goes to Heaven they must spend 100,000 years travelling towards paradise? One million year? Five hundred million years?

The bottom line remains that is wrong to compare atheism with fundamentalism or to suggest that since we do not know for certain whether there is a God or not both camps have a 50:50 chance of being true and should deserve equal credibility.

Not when all the evidence and rational knowledgeone we've acquired supports the 'no' camp and makes the 'yes' camp very highly improbable

How the fuck do am i supposed to whether or how anyone gets to heaven? I'm not dead.

Its nothing to do with whether theres a 50:50 chance because frankly we don't know enough. Unless you think we've reached the ultimtate peak of knowledge you cannot put odds on whether there is a God.
  • Options
    I don't see why not. You can with everybody else.

Do gnomes exist? Who's to say they don't? Should gnome believers be given equal credibility as those who say there is not such thing?
  • Options

You don't half talk nonsense sometimes. You’re putting a wicked twist on the very simple fact that when religious types start quoting The Bible, atheists quote the most nonsensical parts of greatest work of fiction right back at them, and rightly so. The non fundamentalists should be too acutely aware they are cherry-picking to cite anything from The Bible to defend their views. Moreover, your egregious attempts to equate fundamentalists with atheist are ridiculous and beneath you. Unless you’re willing to take The Bible literally it holds no more weight - and I’d say it holds a lot less - as a moralistic cue than any other work of fiction. And if I wanted to read a great work of fiction, I wouldn’t pick up The Bible or any other religious text.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Religious people are not the problem. Atheists are not the problem. The problem is people who refuse to see anything different than what they believe. Narrow-mindedness is the problem. A narrow-minded atheist is as much of a problem as a narrow-minded fundamentalist.
  • Options
    Religious people are not the problem. Atheists are not the problem. The problem is people who refuse to see anything different than what they believe. Narrow-mindedness is the problem. A narrow-minded atheist is as much of a problem as a narrow-minded fundamentalist.

We need to put the myth that staunch atheists and evangelical fundamentalists are of the same ilk, to bed. It’s a nonsense argument and a fallacy to purport that the two positions are in anyway comparable. Atheists don’t have a track record of suicide bombings, invading countries, kidnappings, ritual killings, and a whole host of other atrocities in the name of Atheism. They just don’t; so to claim the two are equal in their problematic tendencies is plain wrong. As far as I’m concerned the staunch atheists I’ve met have put a lot more thought into their position than the staunch religious types.

I don’t have an issue with people holding religious beliefs, far from it. However, to claim that belief in a deity has equal intellectual credence as non-belief is laughable.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I never said they're the same. I said that all narrow-minded people are as much of a problem to society and everyone else as each other, no matter what their narrow-mindedness is about.
    A problem to society evolving, and coming closer to the truth, not a problem as in "they kill lots of people" as you seem to have interpreted it.
  • Options
    We need to put the myth that staunch atheists and evangelical fundamentalists are of the same ilk, to bed. It’s a nonsense argument and a fallacy to purport that the two positions are in anyway comparable. Atheists don’t have a track record of suicide bombings, invading countries, kidnappings, ritual killings, and a whole host of other atrocities in the name of Atheism. They just don’t; so to claim the two are equal in their problematic tendencies is plain wrong. As far as I’m concerned the staunch atheists I’ve met have put a lot more thought into their position than the staunch religious types.

I suggest you might want to look at the Soviet union and China's (two officially atheist states) persecution of religion and their control over it.

I would also suggest to give a more balanced picture you note that some of the world's biggest charities are either explicity religous (eg Christian Aid) or were set up by religous groups (eg Oxfam). I've not noted they're being a charity called atheist aid. Many religous people are strongly involved in charities as volunteers.

But then that's the problem with fundamentalist atheists - they can't give a balanced view of religion :thumb:
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    The speed of atmospheric expansion can be used as an argument for the existence of God for scientists claim that if the universe had expanded at a rate of just 1% faster it would have been too fast for planets to form. on the other hand if it had been 1% slower then the universe wouldn’t have reached it's current size, instead the galaxies would have been pulled back together by gravity (big crunch) - thus fore because our universe is so finely tuned Christians would argue there has to be a designer (God)

Yet if this God is omnipotent, as the bible says then does he not have the power over the universe? And that doesn't explain why this all powerful god needed a day to rest.
    God being far more superior than ourselves has more power (possibly Adam and Eve forbidden fruit not trusted) not sure?

But the bible specifically states that we are created in his image. If that was true then God would not have made women as they are not in his image (God= Male, Women obviously Female).
    Christians would argue the cause of suffering is down to a number of factors such as Augustine said "evil is not real, it is just the absence of good", the fact that God gave us free will and the majority of suffering is the result of our choice and the misuse of our freedom. Other arguments could be that suffering is a result of Lucifer the fallen angel who disobeyed God and brought suffering into the world, that Adam and Eve brought suffering into the world by eating the forbidden fruit (therefore we are punished for their actions) or that suffering is purely part of God's judgement.

Christians argue that although not pleasant suffering has a place in this world because of a number of reasons such as, it makes us appreciate things more (especially those we take for granted), suffering brings out the best in people (people respond better in crisis), suffering helps us consider the need for others, suffering brings us closer to God and religion (most people pray in times of need), suffering is a test of character and makes people stronger. Personally as well as the above

I believe that to do with natural disasters for example, if God stepped into our lives every time there was a problem to save lives (all loving all powerful) then we would no longer be able to cope with times of challenge and with time we would require God to stop individual deaths and much weaker forms of suffering (how much can he stop and where's the limit?) if God took away all of life's trialling moments then we'd all become like "robots" unable to cope and all the same. Yet God wants individuals that are able to cope with disasters in heaven not robots that are unable to cope with problems etc. (although I do understand atheist’s views of the inconsistent triad - how can evil exist if God is all loving and all powerful)

Yet it does not give this God the right to kill millions of people. Does it?

As for natural disasters, it has always been my belief that they are the Earth's way of trying to control out of control population levels and also as a warning that if we are so willing to destroy her then she will fight back with the force that she has. And I did not mention suffering specifically in this question did I?
    As I've mentioned above suffering and everything in life has a purpose, suffering is for a reason and in God's eyes justified, he can’t step in whenever there’s a problem or we would all become robotic.

It does not answer the question of who you believe has sinned more, You or an 'omnipotent' being that has killed millions of people? Good question dodge though :thumb:
    Not sure how far back the bible dates (apologies) but does it actually have scripts from prehistoric times, if it doesn’t then it explains why there isn’t a mention of them. If it does then possibly because they weren’t relevant but ill have to think about that.

The bible says that God made the world, put animals and men on it straight away. No reference to dinosaurs and no dinosaurs in paradise. Otherwise they would be mentioned wouldn't they?
    Once again see my yabbing on suffering above.

There's a difference with a little bit of suffering and allowing 6 million people to die at the hands of the Nazi's. I can understand suffering yet allowing a war to ravage the entirety of Europe, to allow Genocide on this scale is not merely allowing suffering to happen. It is purely wanting Genocide to happen.
    Let’s bore you with the Christian arguments for belief in God now considering you all seem rather agnostic/atheistic :thumb:

I'm not either of these. I am an Odinist, a norse pagan.
    Christians believe in God because of the William Paley teleological argument, he argued that if you were walking in the woods and found a pocket watch, picked it up and looked inside you'd see it's made from many intricate parts all working together to perform a specific function. You would then without a doubt conclude that this unity and order could not have just come about by chance they must have had a creator and it hadn’t always existed. The watch shows too much design and purpose for no body to have been responsible for its existence, the insides work together so uniquely it couldn’t have come about by chance. Just as there has to be a watch maker there has to be a world maker (both show design, beauty, purpose and uniqueness e.g. snowflakes never two the same)

I do believe that there are world makers, just not one almighty one. Something that's perfect does not exist and has never existed and until it does, you shall not convince many people on or off this forum to believe otherwise.
    Christians also argue Sir Isaac Newton’s view that just by looking at a persons thumb print that is so unique and individual, that no two are the same has convinced him there must have been a creator. Christians also argue the Thomas Aquinas cosmological argument that he believed he could prove the existence of God. He said that “if the universe had a beginning, it had to have an originator” He argues nothing doesn’t just become something, nothing = nothing and remains nothing unless something is added to it, for this reason there must have been a cause (he said even if the big bang did happen then God would have caused it). Then you’ve got the arguments such s general revelation, personal revelation, near death experiences, Jesus’ miracles, modern day miracles and conversion experiences that Christians argue (although I won’t bore you with them we had to learn them for GCSE RE)

And the big bang doesn't answer your question about the beginning of the universe?
    And as for us all being unique, that is through different bloodlines mixing to have children. Unlike the Christian argument of all humans descended from 2 original humans.
    As for the fingerprints being all different that is due to something called nature. If you haven't noticed Koala Bears have fingerprints and some have been found to be identical to some humans fingerprints. Not so unique then.
    Dan Brown’s book Angels and Demons tackles the contradiction of science and religion frequently in the novel and I’ll quote you a page as its thought provoking, (the cardinals addressing the people as to the interference of science in religion)

At the end of the day I cannot see a world showing such uniqueness and perfection just came about by chance as scientists believe, I’ve always said “its better to live your life believing there is a God and die to find out there isn’t than live your life believing there isn’t a God and die to find out there is”, yet no one can ever be truly certain either way many are trying to bridge the link between religion and science (the whole of Angels and Demons does for example with the creation of antimatter (opposite of matter as everything has opposites e.g. light and dark, heaven and hell) and how it can be used to prove genesis correct. There are many arguments disproving the idea of theism there are arguments supporting religious views so I thought I’d just add a few in from RE
    (regulars be nice I’m only little)

I do believe that it was created, but by the Big Bang rather than by an 'omnipotent' being. Antimatter can also prove the Big Bang correct so that is inconclusive. Look at the wording of Genesis though. It says that there was nothing in the beginning.
    That also stretches out in that statement that no form of anything, including atoms, was present. This means that antimatter goes more for explaining the Big Bang which says that something was there in the beginning rather than nothing was there like in the bible.
  • Options
    I suggest you might want to look at the Soviet union and China's (two officially atheist states) persecution of religion and their control over it.

I would also suggest to give a more balanced picture you note that some of the world's biggest charities are either explicity religous (eg Christian Aid) or were set up by religous groups (eg Oxfam). I've not noted they're being a charity called atheist aid. Many religous people are strongly involved in charities as volunteers.

But then that's the problem with fundamentalist atheists - they can't give a balanced view of religion :thumb:

Your ability to present a skewed version of the truth is remarkable; a talent of which The Daily Mail would be proud to claim their own.

Firstly, a secular state isn't an atheistic one. Secondly, acts committed by atheists aren't always commited in the name of atheism. I referred to acts explicitly committed in the name of religion - but let's not let the truth get in the way.

Ah ok, a few religious based charities levels playing field does it? Please.

"Not every act committed by religion is bad, so back off - mmmkay?"
  • Options
    Your ability to present a skewed version of the truth is remarkable; a talent of which The Daily Mail would be proud to claim their own.

Firstly, a secular state isn't an atheistic one. Secondly, acts committed by atheists aren't always commited in the name of atheism. I referred to acts explicitly committed in the name of religion - but let's not let the truth get in the way.

I didn't choose secular states (which is the state being seperate from religion eg France) - I deliberately chose ones which were atheistic. In both China and the Soviet Union people were (and in China) still are persecuted because they were religous in a state which didn't/doesn't believe in religion.

If anyone is skewing arguments here it isn't me.
  • Options

Firstly, Maoist China was indeed an Atheist state due to the total banning of religions at the start of it. And it committed some heinous acts. Do you want to tell the Taoists and Buddhists that they were assaulted, degraded and sometimes killed in mass not because Mao himself was an Atheist who hated religion, but because people commit violent acts for random reasons. That's garbage and you know it. It was done solely BECAUSE Mao and his cronies were Atheist.
    The Soviet Union was similar in regards to certain religions.
    Why stop at what atheists did to religious people? What about what Atheists did to people of other ethnic groups? Slobodan Milosevic is a good example of this

Secondly, acts committed by religious people aren't always commited in the name of religion.
    If you think the statement I made here is false then you must also believe that all acts carried out by Atheists are done in the name of Atheism.
  • Options
    Mao persecuted religion because he saw it as a backwards influence which hindered and conflicted with his marauding Marxist ideology. Time spent praying wasn't time spent smelting second-rate metal in Chinese backwaters. Mao, as far as I recall (and it was A-Level History :D ), didn't persecute religion on the basis of his own non-belief, but because it hindered whichever five-year-plan he was on at the time.
  • Options
    Bollocks is it their choice. Every child should be presented with the facts about religion, nothing more. Indoctrination of a child instantly starts a process of segregation and the retardation of rational thought. And don’t get me started on religious schools.

Oh so you're advocating that parents should be told how to bring their children up? How vile!
  • Options
    But we already do that, for better or worse. If a parent was found to be encouraging his children to have sex with adults, for instance, chances are the kids would be taken into care. Or at the very least the parent would be given a very severe bollocking and told to change their ways or else.

Before someone says something I'm not equating religious education with paedophilia. I'm simply illustrating the point that we as a society do appear to believe in some instances we can tell parents how they should or shouldn't bring up their children. The different of opinion obviously comes when trying to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.

I have always said I consider religious education a form of child abuse. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Richard Dawkins agrees with me ;) . He argues the point very well and gives some good examples of the damage religious education can cause to children.

(In fact, if Dawkins had died just before I was born I might have started to believe in reincarnation, because reading The God Delusion was rather like seeing all my own thoughts and beliefs in print).
  • Options
    A child grown up in a religious atmosphere, taught properly the aspects of that religion will not turn into murderers. You somehow assume religious people are violent thugs, they aren't. If a parent wants their child to be brought up in such an atmosphere then so be it.

Also Cpt Coat Hanger. You brought out that only 1 in 8 figure, where was that source from? 7 in 8 people in this country do not go to Church regularly, they may put down their parents religion on a census but they don't go to mass regularly. In fact, the Catholic Church is soon to outnumber regular Church goers than Anglicans (the biggest org) in Britain. So how do your figures add up?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/article1386939.ece
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    A child grown up in a religious atmosphere, taught properly the aspects of that religion will not turn into murderers. You somehow assume religious people are violent thugs, they aren't. If a parent wants their child to be brought up in such an atmosphere then so be it.
    I've never said all religous people are violent thugs.

But there is plenty of evidence that religious doctrine prejudices the mind. And it is simply not fair to programme children in such way.

Dawkins' book cites a very interesting experiment conducted by someone a few years ago. A particularly vicious story in the Old Testament was chosen and put forward to 2 groups of schoolchildren in Israel. The story tells of an army arriving at a place and killing everyone in sight in order to keep the land as their own. One group of children was told the story as it is in told in the Old Testament (i.e. the Chosen People conducting the atrocity because that's what God wanted) and an staggering 91% thought it was the right thing to do as it was the Jews' God-given right to do so.

Another group of children was given the same story but the names and background were changed. The children thought they were reading about some ancient Chinese emperor and his army slaughtering the locals. Interestingly, almost the same figure of 90% thought it was very wrong for the Emperor to do such thing.

This is just one example of how religion can warp the minds of even small children and make them see appalling genocide as actually an acceptable and even desirable thing- and yet if you remove the religious element in the story the children can see the atrocity for what it is.

I for one think indoctrinating small children with such stuff is not a good thing at all and should be avoided.
  • Options
    But we already do that, for better or worse. If a parent was found to be encouraging his children to have sex with adults, for instance, chances are the kids would be taken into care. Or at the very least the parent would be given a very severe bollocking and told to change their ways or else.

Before someone says something I'm not equating religious education with paedophilia. I'm simply illustrating the point that we as a society do appear to believe in some instances we can tell parents how they should or shouldn't bring up their children. The different of opinion obviously comes when trying to decide what is acceptable and what isn't.

I have always said I consider religious education a form of child abuse. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Richard Dawkins agrees with me ;) . He argues the point very well and gives some good examples of the damage religious education can cause to children.

(In fact, if Dawkins had died just before I was born I might have started to believe in reincarnation, because reading The God Delusion was rather like seeing all my own thoughts and beliefs in print).

An interesting argument that - first you say you're not trying to equate religous education with paedophilia (which of course you are) but then you go on to state you think religous education is a form of child abuse.

When are you nominating richard Dawkins for beatification btw? are you going to wait until he's dead or break with tradition and do it whilst he's still around?
  • Options
    ETA - because I can't quote the right post
  • Options
    I've never said all religous people are violent thugs.

But there is plenty of evidence that religious doctrine prejudices the mind. And it is simply not fair to programme children in such way.

Dawkins' book cites a very interesting experiment conducted by someone a few years ago. A particularly vicious story in the Old Testament was chosen and put forward to 2 groups of schoolchildren in Israel. The story tells of an army arriving at a place and killing everyone in sight in order to keep the land as their own. One group of children was told the story as it is in told in the Old Testament (i.e. the Chosen People conducting the atrocity because that's what God wanted) and an staggering 91% thought it was the right thing to do as it was the Jews' God-given right to do so.

Another group of children was given the same story but the names and background were changed. The children thought they were reading about some ancient Chinese emperor and his army slaughtering the locals. Interestingly, almost the same figure of 90% thought it was very wrong for the Emperor to do such thing.

This is just one example of how religion can warp the minds of even small children and make them see appalling genocide as actually an acceptable and even desirable thing- and yet if you remove the religious element in the story the children can see the atrocity for what it is.

I for one think indoctrinating small children with such stuff is not a good thing at all and should be avoided.

Did they also do a control - say a group of Brits being told about Rorkes Drift and us slaughtering zulus with and without the names removed. Otherwise it does not neccessarily say anything about religion and possibly a lot about nationalism and how we view our own people's history.
  • Options
    An interesting argument that - first you say you're not trying to equate religous education with paedophilia (which of course you are)
    bollocks I am.
    but then you go on to state you think religous education is a form of child abuse.
    Yep. There are many kinds of child abuse. Psychologically abusing your child is a form of child abuse. Beating them is a form of child abuse. Yet they're not the same as paedophilia. I was merely illustrating the point that it is possible, and indeed accepted by almost everyone, to dictate what parents can or cannot do to their children.

But don't let that stop you jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    bollocks I am.

Yep. There are many kinds of child abuse. Psychologically abusing your child is a form of child abuse. Beating them is a form of child abuse. Yet they're not the same as paedophilia. I was merely illustrating the point that it is possible, and indeed accepted by almost everyone, to dictate what parents can or cannot do to their children.

But don't let that stop you jumping to conclusions.

Why use that example if you didn't want to equate the two - there are plenty of other examples you could use...
  • Options
    Well by the looks of it if I had chosen the example of a child beater I would have been accused of equating religious education with child beating so what's the difference?

As I stated clearly I was just illustrating the point that it is both possible and widely acceptable to tell parents what they can do and how they can bring up their children.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Oh so you're advocating that parents should be told how to bring their children up? How vile!

There isn't an emoticon to describe my disbelief at this statement.

I think people can now safely ignore anything you have to say in this thread.