Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parent Problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I took my dads place in a party last night of my parents close friends. My dad refused to go and me and mum spent the night lying through our teeth saying dad was feeling ill. Only he wasn't. So i asked mum why he hadn't come, took me a while but she eventualy said he's being a bit cold recently. I noticed that cause he snapped at me last night when i tried to get something to eat and he's just being moody all the time. He's spending all his time at work or on the computer not talking to us. Its so unlike him cause usually he's really cheerful. I dunno if my parents are going through another funny time or not (they sort of split up last year) but i'm just worried. It's right before christmas and i dunno whats happening with my family. I know it could be anything but my dads the sort of person who hardly lets anything get to him, he's really optimistic, so does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I get the feeling mum knows but doesn't want to tell me. Like she wouldn't tell me 'the thing that he did' last year which caused them to almost split up.
I'm just really confused :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Christmas can often be a stressful time for folk, it brings up a lot of memories for some people that they may not know how to deal with. That's what I'd put it down to.
  • Options
    It's so difficult being a parent. You want to protect your kids and all conventional wisdom says that you're supposed to keep the kids out of adult affairs, but that doesn't help when it just leaves you feeling upset and confused.

You need to decide, IF something is going on, do you really want to know about it? If so, I suggest you sit down with your mum and tell her how you feel confused and insecure and ask her to tell you the truth. She doesn't have to go into detail, like telling you what "the thing he did" was, but perhaps just to outline the situation, or at least the bits that affect you. Bear in mind that she just might not, in which case there's not an awful lot you can do about it, and also that she might and it might not be pretty. She might not know what's going on herself, or it might really be nothing for you to worry about.
  • Options
    Why not talk to him, asking why his being a bit of lately? Say it's upsetting you to see him like that and want to know whats up?
  • Options
    I think they're splitting up. Ive just part heard a conversation with my dad and a friend in the kitchen. My dads in tears by the sounds of it and stuff like leading different lifestyles and my mum finding someone else were mentioned. Basically saying that theres no feeling in the relationship anymore.
    So i think they're splitting up
  • Options
    *hugs* that must've been hard for you to hear?? Can you not confide in your mum+ask her to discuss things with u. it may help her and you?? How old are you by the way?
  • Options
    You're nearly 16, aren't you? I think you should try to get them together and ask them to level with you. Tell them you appreciate them trying to protect you (almost certainly what they're trying to do) but you're not a baby anymore and would appreciate to know the truth about what's going on.
  • Options
    miffy's right - if you know whats going on at the time, yes it may hurt, but at least you'll be able to pull yourself together
  • Options
    *loadsa hugs*

My folks have split up not so long ago so i understand what your feeling like at the moment!
    Im 21 and even as you get older it isn't easy to deal with and not get upset over. But talk with your folks and find out what is really going on, no matter what happens with them you must talk to someone about what is happening that way you don't feel you have to cope on your own.
    My BF was a big help some days i just needed a cuddle and a shoulder to cry on and he was fab. Make sure you talk with someone about whats going on!!
    And things do get easier chick x
  • Options
    You really need to talk to one or both of them and point out that this stressing you out and you would like to now whats going on. Be prepared for them not to tell you the whole truth.
  • Options
    Couldn't you talk to your mother about this? As your father is the problem. Try not to be so straightforward with the question, maybe ask her when she's busy in the kitchen etc.
  • Options
    i think im going to wait till all the celebrations are over, i don't want to ruin it