Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Religion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How would you define "religion"?

Comments

• Options
    Faith in a higher being I'd say.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Faith in a higher being I'd say.

I would tend to agree, but that rules out Buddhism as a religion. :chin:
  • Options
    The first topic of my religious anthropology module :D

Geertz said that religion is a set of beliefs, patterns, symbols, patterns of behaviour etc that human beings use to control what is beyond them, if that makes sense. There are lots of other criteria like use of ritual, belief in things that are supernatural, but it's possible that even these can be rejected. If you get onto people like Durkheim, he believed that totemism was the earliest form of religious belief.

The short answer is, it's pretty difficult ;)
  • Options
    I would describe religion as a tool for people to use who don't have enough faith in themselves or their own abilities to get through life.
  • Options
    Coherent spiritual belief perhaps?

It almost always involves an element of organization and practise of ritual though.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

And the subject of my current essay...!

When Australia granted the Church of Scientology the right to call itself a religion two of the three judges who made the decision said that it could be classed as a religion because they believe in a supernatural being, theory or principle and they follow a pattern of behaviour that expresses that belief.

I quite like that theory because it suggests that there doesn't need to be a supernatural being, but simple a theory or principle. However, that would suggest that things like transcendal meditation (TM) could be classed as a religion, which advocates categorically deny.
  • Options

Geertz said that religion is a set of beliefs, patterns, symbols, patterns of behaviour etc that human beings use to control what is beyond them, if that makes sense. There are lots of other criteria like use of ritual, belief in things that are supernatural, but it's possible that even these can be rejected. If you get onto people like Durkheim, he believed that totemism was the earliest form of religious belief.

The short answer is, it's pretty difficult ;)

I'd mostly agree with Geertz, although I don't think it's to try and control what is beyond them in the case of most religions. I'd say try to comprehend what is beyond them. That's the way I look at my faith. It might be different for other people.

It is pretty difficult to define. When you try to define it, it's like you're :banghead:
    No box can fit all religions because they are so diverse.
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »
    It almost always involves an element of organization and practise of ritual though.

Like yoga, or the Scouts? ;)
  • Options
    I'd say a religion is when a group of people worship something/someone.
    Anything could be turned into a religion if you get enough people to follow it. Scientology for example.
  • Options
    The inevitable psycho-social construct which arises when a species of ape develops enough sentience to realise it's going to die one day, and then proceeds to shit its primordial pants about it.
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »

I agree. Religion involves adherence to codified beliefs and rituals.
  • Options
    A colourful veil of mystification thrown over the material world and universe-very alluring and reassuring when not of reactionary intent......
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I agree. Religion involves adherence to codified beliefs and rituals.

So, is the Scouts a religion? They have codified beliefs and rituals.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »

Brain damage. :chin:
  • Options
    Richard Dawkins quotes a good definition by somebody or other:

"When one man suffers from delusion, we call it lunacy.

When millions suffer from it, we call it religion".

Don't shoot the messenger... ;)
  • Options
    A tool for manipulating people.
  • Options
    So, is the Scouts a religion? They have codified beliefs and rituals.

Do you think it is? I think that in the context of this thread that you might be able to work out the correct answer. Let me know if you can't.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Do you think it is? I think that in the context of this thread that you might be able to work out the correct answer. Let me know if you can't.

There isn't any need for that, really. You know fine well I don't believe that, but by your very own definition of religion it would appear that mass organisations such as the Scouts could be classed as religion, since they adhere to codified beliefs and rituals.

I'm trying to find a definition of religion that is succinct and instantly rules out things that are typically not religion.

Your definition (and many others'):
    Religion involves adherence to codified beliefs and rituals.

is not sufficient for my purposes because it does not rule out organisations such as the Scouts, or even yoga. Likewise, other definitions such as worship of a higher being are not sufficient because they rule out certain well established religions.
  • Options
    You know fine well I don't believe that, but by your very own definition of religion it would appear that mass organisations such as the Scouts could be classed as religion, since they adhere to codified beliefs and rituals.

So you must know full well that I don't believe the Scouts to be a religious movement either.

My own definition, in light of the thread which seems to be referring to religion in a context of spiritual faith, is ample. Perhaps I could have spelt it out better but I try and avoid being verbose ... :)
  • Options
    Religion is in my opinion an unneccessary organisation or organisations.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

Second that.
  • Options
    Bee, I'm just looking through my old notes, do you have access to Durkheim's book, "Elementary Forms of the Religous Life." ? Pages 21 - 44 are pretty useful.

There's a paper by Sperber, "Apparently Irrational Beliefs" in On Anthropological Knowledge.

There's a pretty heavy emphasis on the anthropology side of things, but the last one is a pretty good paper on how they have tried to account for so called 'irrational beliefs'.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Religion is in my opinion an unneccessary organisation or organisations.

Not all religions are unnecessary organisations.

Only ones that what can't accept that other people do not think like them are unnecessary. Organisations such as the Catholic church, the Church of Scientology or organisations (churches, mosques etc.) of Fundamentalists.

Those that can accept that people believe other things than what they believe are fine in my book.
    I'm religious and will defend my religion by debate if someone tries to belittle it. Those that have no problem with my beliefs, I couldn't care less if they believe things that I don't because they have a right to believe it.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

We're manipulated by many things on a day to day basis, I wouldn't say it's just exclusive to religion.
  • Options
    We're manipulated by many things on a day to day basis, I wouldn't say it's just exclusive to religion.

That's true. The media, the Government and the Banks to name but a few.
  • Options
    the leading cause of conflict in the world.
  • Options
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    That's true. The media, the Government and the Banks to name but a few.

You don't worship the media, Government and Banks though do you?
  • Options
    Something which to put faith into, something to believe in.
  • Options
    You don't worship the media, Government and Banks though do you?

That wasn't ghost's point though, I was pointing out in response to Lipsy that we're manipulated by a multitude of things every day. That doesn't mean to say we believe those things are part of someone's religious system or beliefs, but it religion isn't the only thing that could be constructed as a tool for manipulation.
    Something which to put faith into, something to believe in.

A recent programme argued that atheism could be described as a religious system, while someone may believe in God, an athiest may have utmost faith in the fact that God doesn't exist and have a series of sets and values to affirm this. Fucks with your head a bit in the end ;)
  • Options
    Yea i see where its coming from there, an athiest has their beliefs and believe in something therefore making them form their own set of religious beliefs.

Yea it does fuck with your head a bit.