Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

men who are obsessed with football

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You obviously didn't read inside the brackets :chin:

I did, but I also read your first post in this thread which seems to clarify your position on the whole matter.
  • Options
    Everyone has an opinion of where we came from. Everyone has an opinion of what happens after we die. Everyone has an opinion of the "right" way to live while we're here. The only thing that seperates us is precisely what we believe in answer to these questions. I assume that what Lipsy meant by saying that she couldn't go out with a religious person, was that she couldn't go out with someone who believes in God as a being that has to be worshipped or who's rules have to be adhered to in some way. That's essentially saying that she can't go out with someone who has different values to you, which is a bit different to saying that you can't find someone attractive, who happens to have one interest that you don't like.

I know plenty of people who don't believe in God - myself included although soemtimes I say I'm agnostic because I really don't know. Its not something I ever think about either because I hate philosophising about things I will never know the answer to. I couldn't date a religious person ie. someone who believes in God, maybe attends worship or says prayers etc.
    I guess thats to do with beliefs though, not what someones hobby is!
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    But you are judging them. You are holding the fact they like football against them. I fail to see the problem with dating someone who may occasionly go to the pub to watch a game or *shock horror* go to a game!

My thoughts exactly.

I think most men would say the same thing about women & shopping/fashion.
    In a non-weird way, yes. I like my partners to enjoy similar things to myself, and someone who holds similar beliefs as myself. If someone loves football and I detest it, then surely we're not compatible? (Yes, admittedly there are millions of other factors that come into it, but I'm purely talking about football)....

Wouldn't you find it boring being with someone who has exactly the same interests and views/beliefs as you? I know I certainly would. However, I couldn't go out with someone whose beliefs were totally different. (as in, we were both different religious beliefs)

In one way I think some of you are shallow - what's wrong with going out with someone who likes football? My mum is married to my dad who watches football and goes to matches, but his whole life (well,some of the weekend does) doesn't revolve around football.
  • Options
    You can believe in God without being religious by most people's definitions. Putting importance on the existance of God, loving God, or basing your life on his teachings (which I assume is what most people mean by "religious") are certainly values that you live your life by, not just beliefs.

what is your point?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    what is your point?

That there's a difference between not going out with someone because they have different values, and not going out with someone because they happen to have an interest that you don't share with them. Jesus Christ, I thought it was pretty clear the first few times.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    In one way I think some of you are shallow - what's wrong with going out with someone who likes football?

It isn't shallow to not go out with people you don't find attractive, it's just sensible.
  • Options
    That there's a difference between not going out with someone because they have different values, and not going out with someone because they happen to have an interest that you don't share with them. Jesus Christ, I thought it was pretty clear the first few times.

Blasphemy! er, and yes I agree, there is a difference. I still think both are valid reasons.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ, I thought it was pretty clear the first few times.

Calm down dear :razz:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    It isn't shallow to not go out with people you don't find attractive, it's just sensible.

I'm not talking about whether someone's attractive or not. I'm talking about how there are certain people who won't go out with someone just because they like football.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I'm not talking about whether someone's attractive or not. I'm talking about how there are certain people who won't go out with someone just because they like football.

Well she really really hates football so I guess someone going to matches, wearing the shirt or playing it makes them less attractive!
  • Options
    Religion is a totally different thing to football. If someone's religious, their beliefs are likely to pervade every area of their life e.g. if someone's a Christian they'll refrain from drinking, promiscuous sex and general 'immoral' behaviour. Football doesn't tend to pervade anyone's life like that. If someone avoids partners because of an interest in football, more fool them IMO.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Religion is a totally different thing to football. If someone's religious, their beliefs are likely to pervade every area of their life e.g. if someone's a Christian they'll refrain from drinking, promiscuous sex and general 'immoral' behaviour. Football doesn't tend to pervade anyone's life like that. If someone avoids partners because of an interest in football, more fool them IMO.

:yes:
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »

tbh she probably just has a stereotypical view of footballers - thinking that they're all yobs or pie eaters or beer guzzlers and walk around in footy shirts all the time. i doubt she even knows anyone who supports footy or plays it.
  • Options
    football isn't a real mans sport anyway
  • Options
    if it was between a girl who wanted my cock or a football match the girl would win. football can wait.
  • Options
    i like men who like football! i know it's really strange but i see it as a sign of masculinity (oh dear..!). i always find it a bit strange when men don't like football - dunno why! my dad isn't right into football so i don't know where i got that from. my ex used to play a few times a week and religiously goes to watch the home games of the team he supports. i think it's nice to have an interest/passion in something. :)
  • Options
    football isn't a real mans sport anyway

Badminton and that one where you push pucks with a broom on old people cruises all the way :love: :flirt:
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Cricket and badminton all the way :love: :flirt:

rugby and boxing !!!!!

footballers are pansies come on, they claim anything is a foul.

Half the stuff they go off "injured" for is part and parcel of a rugby match.

I mean rugby players have parts of them butterfly stitched and covered and go back out to play for fucks sake!!
  • Options
    badminton

pah!
  • Options
    rugby and boxing !!!!!

I mean rugby players have parts of them butterfly stitched and covered and go back out to play for fucks sake!!

rugby players are less girly, granted. but all they seem to do is run around charging into eachother like rhinos!
  • Options
    rugby and boxing !!!!!

No, you quoted too quick, I changed it :grump:
  • Options
    run around charging into eachother like rhinos!

Right, like real men. ;)
  • Options
    i used to play both rugby and football. by far the worst one for injuries was football. rugby is obviously the tougher sport though for physical contact etc.
  • Options
    rugby players are less girly, granted. but all they seem to do is run around charging into eachother like rhinos!

Indeed
    footballers claim anything is a foul.

Because it normally is?
  • Options
    Mine is into football in a massive way. It doesn't really bother me tbh, I enjoy some things, he enjoys others. I don't detest or dislike football, and something as small as that wouldn't sway my mind about whether I'd date them or not. Same with religion really, and I'm not religious at all.
  • Options
    I hate football too, and id be put off to a certain extent if a guy i was interested in turned out to be a footie fan.
    I could cope with them watching the odd game, or having a kick around with mates, but some guys are SOOOO into it. bloody ridiculous.
    None of my serious relationships have been with guys who are into footie - theyre just not my type. I even think its a bit weird that my dad and my brother like watching it on the telly.
    Just cant see the attraction, therefore would probably not date someone who was into it.
  • Options
    What if you met someone you really liked, you clicked and started seeing eachother.

Then one weekend shortly into your relationship he says he's off to the pub to watch the game with his mates, something he does quite regularly.

Would you ditch him?
  • Options
    I have a big interest in this as I'm one of these fellas who is, not obsessed, but very into his football. I watch my team home and away every game (missed one game home and away in 5 years) and I too sulk when we lose and am delighted when we win.

That said, I've never had a relationship to give me something else to do but I can imagine it would be an issue. My mate is lucky to have found like the best girl in the world, sweet, beautiful, great to talk to and she comes to football with him all the time and has grown to really enjoy it.
  • Options
    Badminton and that one where you push pucks with a broom on old people cruises all the way :love: :flirt:

I believe you are thinking of shuffleboard.
  • Options
    if it was between a girl who wanted my cock or a football match the girl would win. football can wait.

That's the point though. Football can't wait. Your cock isn't going anywhere soon, but the football kicks off when it kicks off. You can't get all the players out again to recreate it for you later. Priorities, jeez.