Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

men who are obsessed with football

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote: »
    Calm down dear :razz:

Sorry, thought I was in P&D for a second then.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    What if you met someone you really liked, you clicked and started seeing eachother.

Then one weekend shortly into your relationship he says he's off to the pub to watch the game with his mates, something he does quite regularly.

Would you ditch him?

If we really clicked in every other way, then id probably be ok with it, but id still be :rolleyes: and id hope to God thats as far as it went.
    It would depend on how regularly is regularly too.
    Sounds like that particular guy might be a bit too much into lad culture for me too. Going down the pub regularly with his mates, drinking and watching football, isnt really what I want from a guy. Might have been different when I was 20 with no kids.
  • Options
    I would have probably known by then, but yes I would ditch him.
  • Options
    No surprises why Mrs MoK really, really wanted a daughter this time around...

I love football, apart from music it defines my lesuire time. I'm either watching it on TV, at a game, taking my boys training or at one of their games. At least whever possible that is.

Mrs MoK, on the other hand, like soaps and I don't. Look at the TV guide and tell me how many are on terrestrial TV every evening...
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    tbh she probably just has a stereotypical view of footballers - thinking that they're all yobs or pie eaters or beer guzzlers and walk around in footy shirts all the time. i doubt she even knows anyone who supports footy or plays it.
    Yeh, okay! My dad used to be a professional football player in his younger years, as was by eldest brother.

My sister is a football hooligan as his her semi-professional footballer boyfriend.

:( I'm surrounded by it.
  • Options
    Yeh, okay! My dad used to be a professional football player in his younger years, as was by eldest brother.

:hyper:

Who? PM me if you like....
  • Options
    Be glad that he at least has passion about something. I'm sure that with a little work, the same passion can be chanelled into other areas... Fine, he's a football fanatic. Most people are fanatical about something or other. They're called hobbies/pasttimes. If his football watching/playing is encroaching on your relationship then perhaps you should have a quiet word but everyone needs their space, be it to play/watch football, play guitar or do whatever people like doing in their spare time.

As I said, at least he's passionate about something that much which is a good thing. There are far too many people in this world who are apathetic and have no passion about anything. To quote Anton Chekhov, apathy is the paralysis of the soul.

If you don't understand football then that's fine but this does work both ways. I don't understand women's affinities with shopping yet men put up with it. It's all about give and take and compromise. You don't understand the things he does and he doesn't understand the things you do. If a woman didn't understand my love of football or guitars, then I'd show her the way out in a heartbeat. I wouldn't sell out my passions or my loves for any woman.

Plus he plays football which can't be a bad thing. Not only is it excellent excercise, it also releases a lot of testosterone. My ex used to love it when I came home from football all muddy and dirty. It made me look all manly (apparently).
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    i used to play both rugby and football. by far the worst one for injuries was football. rugby is obviously the tougher sport though for physical contact etc.

Funnily enough, I played rugby for a long time, play football still but by the worst injuries I've ever had have all come from cricket.

Damaged vertebral tendons (which meant I could barely walk for a month and the doctor said that had I carried on bowling, there would have been a strong chance that I would never have been able to run again :nervous: but it did mean I get to have ultrasound :yum: )
    Damaged under-kneecap cartilege which again crippled me for a few weeks
    Various broken toes, fingers

Can't remember anything other than sore muscles and bruises from footy or rugby.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess the reason it had bothered me was cos he said he couldn't see me all weekend because there was too much football on and I was a distraction. He plays for a local Sunday league not Man United! All I wanted to do was come and see him on Saturday night.

I'm not bothered if someone is into football and supports a team, but it puts me off when someone is obsessed with anything, whether that be a sport, drug or anything. My ex was obsessed with going to the gym and bodybuilding and that annoyed me (although at least that wasn't something he watched on TV).

I don't expect to see a guy all the time, only once or twice a week but when you both work full time it makes it pretty hard if there's constant football.

Besides it's not just football, it seems to be any sport so if football isn't on, it will be cricket or formula one.

I understand football, I like national games and the odd Villa game but I'm just not that passionate about it. I prefer to play sports than watch them.

Anyway cheers for the insight guys!
  • Options
    I think if he says he can't see you all weekend because there's too much football on then that's a bit harsh. In fact it's not only harsh, it's complete bollocks because at the most there'd be about 6 hours of football on the TV at the weekend (even still, I'd doubt he'd watch it all), coupled with a couple of hours for his own game if he's playing. Seems a bit extreme to me that he couldn't see you all weekend.

Related to this, I'm going to a Bloc Party concert tonight with a girl, and as a result I'm missing the Champions League games :(. I only realised the other day in the pub, whilst skysports news was on, that the two clashed. I was with said girl in the pub, and I told her I was gonna go round the pub seeing if I could sell my Bloc Party ticket to anyone, give her someone else to go with. Of course I was joking, but she wasn't impressed. :razz:
  • Options
    personally i don't like guys who aren't verging on obsessed with football. my ex had no interest at all and i hated it. going to an all girls school, none of my mates (except the ones in my team and those i know from chelsea & my local side) are interested and i don't get to talk about my passion with them, which annoys the hell out of me, instead i have to pretend to be interested in films and celebrities (major groan!). i just want to be with someone who shares my interest and have someone to talk about it with.

there are 2 guys i like at the mo and one is totally unattractive but we have so much in common but the other isnt interested in football but is lovely in every other way and i find myself much much more interested in the unattractive guy, almost entirely because of his love of football.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    My fella likes his football...doesnt bother me in the slightest.

To be honest, I prefer that it is football rather than something a bit quirky.
  • Options
    i dont see the problem to be honest, whats the difference between loving football or movies or music...? theres no difference.

i wouldnt give up for my footy for noone, its amazing. love it completely.

anyone who cant understand the obsession with footy can go get fucked, totally.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote: »
    i dont see the problem to be honest, whats the difference between loving football or movies or music...? theres no difference.

i wouldnt give up for my footy for noone, its amazing. love it completely.

anyone who cant understand the obsession with footy can go get fucked, totally.

How pleasant :rolleyes: :)

There is a difference because most people like some music or some films but don't need to go and get obsessed by it!

I'm not asking anyone to give up their football!
  • Options
    Yeh my man is a footie fan and before meeting him I used to absolutely hate football. Now im not saying that I enjoy it to the full, but I can actually watch a whole match and get quite into it.

There are always things that each person does or does not like in a relationship but you have to compromise and take it as part of the relationship I guess.
  • Options
    I have an update. Last night my chap came to the theatre with me, he hadn't been since he was little and wasn't sure if he would like it.

But he really enjoyed it and said to me after that at first he didn't want to go because it clashed with the Liverpool game :rolleyes: (he's not even a Liverpool fan!) but he decided there was more to life than football :)

Good job it wasn't a Man U or Ipswich game though, I would never have got him out the house!

And it's football again all this weekend!