Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The cost of a criminal

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just because it's simplistic doesn't mean it's wrong.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you see no conflict of interest between being put in prison by the state and working for private capital?

What about prisoners with mental health problems (quite a large proportion last time I looked at the stats)? Criminal behaviour is actually quite a complex issue - as I said, a lot of people in prison are illiterate, have mental health issues, drug problems, have had no real chance in life. Now of course they have had some choices in whether to commit crime or not, but its not that simple. There is a big link between offending behaviour and social deprivation. I'd rather we sorted out the root causes of crime rather than merely putting a sticking plaster on the problem. Those root causes are the responsibility of all of us and if we decree that some people should be put in prison, we have to take the financial consequences.
    And social deprevation is an excuse to a lot of people, I grew up on a council estate, so what?

There you go. Who was it that mentioned council estates?
  • Options
    Just because it's simplistic doesn't mean it's wrong.

but you haven't actually said anything
  • Options
    I did but I didn't mention them being criminals?!

I grew up on a council estate which was rough as fuck, murders and all sorts took place, and I'm talking 6 doors up from my house. Lots ofpeople there had poor education and were socially deprived. Some of them rose above and some of them didn't, some of them used their shit as an excuse to act like cunts.

This has nothing to do with original topic you obviously just want to argue, what's the point?
  • Options
    :confused::confused::confused:

Errr...words fail me. Bye.
  • Options
    I really am confused by your attitude. You're the one that stated the opinion that prisoners should pay for their own upkeep. I attempted to unpack that and explore it a bit and you get all arsey. Bizarre behaviour. :confused:
  • Options
    I think you'll find I basically got pissed after this
    Blagsta wrote:
    Aaaahh, you're a selfish cunt. I knew there had to some reason for your general air of obnoxiousness.
  • Options
    That was a response to your post about taxes and the NHS. You brought it on yourself, boy.
  • Options
    those figures are only partly true.
    it may well cost thast much but ...a huge percentage of that cost is payed for by prison labour.
    take havverig nick in cumbria ...they produce every quality of denim possible.
    the toughest goes to other jails where they make prison uniforms ...the rest ...is sold on the world market.
    preston nick in lancashire ...also produce textiles but mor for packaging and dishcloths.
    wymott prison ...again in lancashire ...prodeuc kevlar and also run one of the largest laundrys in western europe.
    hmp strangeworld in manchester ...textiles and electrics.
    over 90% of food consumed in british jails is produced by prisoners on prison farms ...from jam to beef to bread.
    many private companies send mind numbing jobs into jails ...such as packaging washing lines or putting tlittle screws into the three pins in your household plugs.
    there are prisons with plastics producrion and metalworks.
    the public never get told about the huge industrial complex that is the uks prison system.

why did i never know this?!!