Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Make sure you've got consent, lads...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Options
    Oh get over yourself. If you don't stop baiting me on here I will report you.

Your not exactly posting evidence either. Saying rape is a politcal act because it involves power is hardly empirical evidence is it?

Its not a political issue any more then any other crime figure, the only way it links to politics is political inititives to bring crimes down.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Politics isn't soley about power over others.

Power as an entity yes but not necassarily power over others.

I know it gets the anti-gov's all juiced up to think of Bush and Blair etc, sitting in big chairs, smoking cigars and laughing about lording power over everyone, but it doesn't happen.

Its their job, its policans job to have power.Its neaural, a requriement.

Ther is no job of being a rapiest as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    Done by the way scarlett.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Politics isn't soley about power over others.

Power as an entity yes but not necassarily power over others.

I know it gets the anti-gov's all juiced up to think of Bush and Blair etc, sitting in big chairs, smoking cigars and laughing about lording power over everyone, but it doesn't happen.

Its their job, its policans job to have power.Its neaural, a requriement.

Ther is no job of being a rapiest as far as I am aware.

Seriously, what the fuck are you on about? Crime isn't a political issue because being a criminal isn't a job on the level with the job of a politician?

Rape is a crime, thus in my opinion a political issue.

As for reporting scarlett because she's trying to elicit from you some kind of evidence for your wild statements, I find that pathetic in the extreme.
  • Options
    I think bringing politics into this is possibly a dangerous step. This is what dictatorships do. There is evidence for example, of mass brutality under Robert Mugabe's regime in Zimbabwe. In that case, men who disagree with the government are tortured, beaten and starved. Often, the henchmen who are assigned to do this will rape the man's wife/daughter/aunty/any other woman he holds dear. In that case, rape is used as a tool to gain political support. That is something that makes me feel physically sick.

In the UK however, we may have a useless Labour government, but what we definitely don't have are ministers ordering that their political opponents be beaten half to death or raped. So let's not bring politics into this, as that is a very dangerous step. That is why I didn't put this in P&D - because this is more an issue about crime/safety/personal responsibility/several other sub-themes, rather than a political one.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Seriously, what the fuck are you on about? Crime isn't a political issue because being a criminal isn't a job on the level with the job of a politician?

Rape is a crime, thus in my opinion a political issue.

As for reporting scarlett because she's trying to elicit from you some kind of evidence for your wild statements, I find that pathetic in the extreme.

scarlett has perosnal issues with me and deliberately baited me on the board to give the response I did. Hence I report, as what I have been told to do by mods.

Scarllet as presented no evidence of her own, yet you and her get down on me about evidence???

It is part of crime which is in part dealt with by politics but rape itself is not politics or political.

Her allusion was that Rape is politics because politcs has power in in it and so does rape. that is what she said. Nothing to do with crime.

I said that politcs has power in it because that is what is required, its a job,.

Being a rapists isn't a job. Rape isn't necassary, politics and polictal power is.
  • Options
    well your not goning to create understand by linking it to politics under the guise, politcians have power, rape is about power, hence they are linked.

Rape is an issue inteslef and part of crime yes.

Increase education on rape but don't link it to politics.
  • Options
    you've misunderstood what i was saying. i didn't say rape should become a party political issue - i'm just asking that we recognise the political nature of sexual violence, because if we don't then we risk misunderstanding what rape is areally all about, and without that how can we hope to address it?
    I don't get it. Are you saying the solutions are political, the causes are political, or the act itself is political?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    scarlett has perosnal issues with me and deliberately baited me on the board to give the response I did. Hence I report, as what I have been told to do by mods.

Scarllet as presented no evidence of her own, yet you and her get down on me about evidence???

It is part of crime which is in part dealt with by politics but rape itself is not politics or political.

Her allusion was that Rape is politics because politcs has power in in it and so does rape. that is what she said. Nothing to do with crime.

I said that politcs has power in it because that is what is required, its a job,.

Being a rapists isn't a job. Rape isn't necassary, politics and polictal power is.

She provided a clear and coherent reasoning for her point of view, which is a damn sight more than you have, evidence or no evidence. I haven't seen any evidence of her "baiting" you either.
  • Options
    Oh for gods sake!

I am sick of the cliquy, bullying, ganging up tactic on here.

Where???

What evidence??

What choerant links???

What links at all??
    What expert theory?

Anything?????

Her oroginal point was politics has power, rape has power, hence rape is political.

thats what I critcised and now it looks as if the tune is changing. Typical.

Scarlett I cannot trust a word you say anyomre.

You have lied on repeated occasions to me, and not that these people know that mind. I didn't want this in the public forum and still l don't but putting sarcastic icons and accusing me of being "obtuse" IS baiting somone!!!

I can handle debate, I have debated plenty but I don't trust in your replies to me.
  • Options
    Will you two please stop your bickering?! This is a serious thread, about something very important. It really isn't the right thread for you two to carry out your stupid little games. Why don't you do us all a favour, and go and argue somewhere else? :mad:
  • Options
    I was keeping the debate on track.

I didn't srat this by putting stupid, baiting and insulting icons.
  • Options
    I never said she had posted links, just a clear and coherant argument that explained her point of view. Thats pretty essential in debate. It isn't "cliquy [sic], bullying ganging up tactic", well certainly not from me anyway. It is possible to disagree with a persons point of view on something without bullying them, you know.
  • Options
    It's not "cliquey" to agree with others.

As for "expert theory", it's hardly necessary to back up your opinion that rape is a political issue with such theory. Rape is a crime and crime is political, just because we aren't using rape as a political tool (as stargalaxy described in his earlier post) does not mean that is it categorically not a political issue.

Regardless of that. In my opinion it is, however, nowt to do with sex.
  • Options
    My point of being cliquey, is the ganging up on certain people on this baord. I am not the only one that thinks this.

As for rape and politcs and crime.

I said and agree that rape is a crime and as crime is dealt with in part by politics, it does make it a political issue in the sense of crime.

What I disagreed with though, was the ascertain that Politics is about power and so is rape so rape is political.

I don't agree with that logic.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    well I have been ganged up and such on this board and when people get involved, targtting at me and cricising me while leaving off the other people involved, I see that as bullying and ganging up and clickuy
  • Options
    So my claim that it isn't is just as valiad as I backed my argument up with my opinion and it was a normative cliam.

yet, scarlett is is ignored and said to have coherant agrument with evidence and mine i sis claime dnot to be, even though we have said different things in the same way.
  • Options
    People have different views on rape and consent, so it is a political issue for people.

Aye, and definitely an issue for [Politics &] DEBATE.
  • Options
    what im about to say is not ganging up on one particular person or anything, in fact i mentioned it earlier in the thread if you read through

this is a political issue, but lets leave the politics of it for a thread in politics and debate
  • Options
    That may be happening but it certasinly hasn't in this thread as far as I can see, people are more than free to disagree with each other without it being bullying.

The view that rape is political is hardly radical, since the crime itself has often been viewed in the context of civil liberities; expressions of gender inequalities; a representation of overarching power dynamics within society; the way treatments of perpatraitors of rape and those who are raped are treated reflects these dynamics and the ways in which arguements for the preventation of rape often reflect personal and political views of those involved.

After all if the personal is political, then the violation of the personal is certainly political.

As to where this thread should be, I certainly feel it's a debate and therefore has a more appropriate location - and to be honest it's always difficult to decide where rape should be assigned - we had to think long and hard when deciding the place of articles on rape at the time of TheSite.org redesign.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    As to where this thread should be, I certainly feel it's a debate and therefore has a more appropriate location - and to be honest it's always difficult to decide where rape should be assigned - we had to think long and hard when deciding the place of articles on rape at the time of TheSite.org redesign.
    I originally put this in the Sex forum, as I wasn't entirely certain at the time. However, judging by the way the thread is now going, I reluctantly agree with your decision to move it. I don't accept it's about politics, but I wouldn't accept it was about sex either. It seems more about power than anything else.
  • Options
    As there isn't [sadly, yet] a "Power" forum, don't you accept that the forum with "debate" in the title is the most apt home for this thread? ;)
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    As there isn't [sadly, yet] a "Power" forum, don't you accept that the forum with "debate" in the title is the most apt home for this thread? ;)
    Albeit reluctantly, yes. But no one has yet explained, other than by referring to a highly dubious link between politics and power/rape and power... how else are they linked?
  • Options
    \