Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Make sure you've got consent, lads...

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oops, wrong thread.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you are trying to imply.

That's probably because I am not trying to imply anything. It's just an interesting question.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Fair enough. Please share your thoughts, it would be very enlightening :)

The obvious thing is the lack of technology in all earlier times. The overwhelming need for physical strength in most workplace endeavours until relatively recently, allied to a lack of contraception made women second class citizens.

Very definitely economically.

And ofc, if you don't get economic opportunity, you remain second class.

Add in religious teaching, dowrys and low amounts of education (because theres no point paying to teaching people who won't use it to earn you money in future) and it's probably pretty obvious why things were like they were and are changing at present in those places where technology has evened out the basic disparity between men and women.
  • Options
  • Options
    Lad culture corrupts men as much as it debases women.

Hard to disagree with this article, really.
  • Options
    Except for it being total and utter crap ofc.
  • Options
    "Add to this prescription peer pressure, rampaging hormones and a bottle or three of alcohol, and the promises of lad culture can easily overwhelm the semi-formed nougat that is the brain of the early-20s male."

Wow, that's as patronising as it gets. I can't believe The Guardian printed this, I fear the Letters page may self-combust..

Taken at face value, it's just another slant on deflecting responsibility from rapists; they're good boys, really, just so easily led by saline implants and a couple of bottles of Becks. I mean.. peer pressure? Ffs, that's insulting to everyone - male or female.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Taken at face value, it's just another slant on deflecting responsibility from rapists; they're good boys, really, just so easily led by saline implants and a couple of bottles of Becks. I mean.. peer pressure? Ffs, that's insulting to everyone - male or female.

:rolleyes:

Sadly, I think its the case a lot that the media does normalise some very odious behaviour. It's not that it's the media's fault exactly, but the continous media barrage does serve to normalise some very misogynistic behaviour.

It's not deflecting responsibility away from people, more just saying that people get a lot of their ideas about behaviour from places such as the media. Which is fair comment, I think.

If you commodify sex so that it is something you can only have when you buy product A and product B, then you inevitably make the sex act nothing more than a commodity, and you make the person nothing more than a commodity.