Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

philosophical and political idealism ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, nor have I argued it will.

Then how would an anarchist sytem work?

See thats where the line gets drawn I'm afraid, you hold some pretty good beliefs but will not work in the real world, I think we should focus on improving capitalism rather than hoping for some magical utopia.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Why should we accept this as the final result? Capitalism was a change. History has been changes of system again and again.

What to say the next big step isn't another change?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Why should we accept this as the final result? Capitalism was a change. History has been changes of system again and again.

What to say the next big step isn't another change?

It's always been a progression towards a more capitalistic system. I doubt it's going to go the other way, unless the world just collapses under it's own pressure and we have to start again I doubt anarchism will ever be given a chance.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Then how would an anarchist sytem work?

It ultimately comes down to how you view human nature. Are we "naturally" greedy? Or "naturally" co-operative? Or somewhere in between? Can we even say that we are "naturally" anything? I think that humans are greedy, co-operative, selfish, self-less and everything else. However, I think that our current political and economic system rewards greed, stupidity and selfishness and makes it far easier for people who are greedy and selfish to succeed. The point is, to re-organise society so that we reward co-operation and creativity, thus making greed less attractive a trait. Human nature is often a reflection of the social context we find ourselves in.
    turlough wrote:
    See thats where the line gets drawn I'm afraid, you hold some pretty good beliefs but will not work in the real world, I think we should focus on improving capitalism rather than hoping for some magical utopia.

I don't think capitalism can be improved.
  • Options
    Capitalism is the only show in town.

Be realistic here, Blagsta. We arent going to recede from a globalised society connected by light speed communications networks and international monetary transactions to a world of small villages and communities where everyman works for his neighbour and not himself.
  • Options
    That's lucky then, I'm not arguing for that.

At least try and engage with what I do actually say Mat. You'll look like less of a prick.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It ultimately comes down to how you view human nature. Are we "naturally" greedy? Or "naturally" co-operative? Or somewhere in between? Can we even say that we are "naturally" anything? I think that humans are greedy, co-operative, selfish, self-less and everything else. However, I think that our current political and economic system rewards greed, stupidity and selfishness and makes it far easier for people who are greedy and selfish to succeed. The point is, to re-organise society so that we reward co-operation and creativity, thus making greed less attractive a trait. Human nature is often a reflection of the social context we find ourselves in.

I don't think capitalism can be improved.

Yes humans can be anything but even if we make greed a less attractive trait and have an anarchist sytem there'll always be greedy people and they'll need to be regulated somehow so some sort of authority needs to be put in place, there'll always be the black sheep in society, you even said it yourself, why do people get involved in charity their whole lives when they could easily make tonnes of money doing something else.

Capitalism can be improved imo but I know fuck all about economics so not going to make a fool out of myself
  • Options
    But communities can regulate greedy people without need for the state. What makes you think they can't?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    But communities can regulate greedy people without need for the state. What makes you think they can't?

How?
  • Options
    Angry mobs, burning torches and rope.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    How?

How do we do it now? Why does policing and courts have to be a function of the state?
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote:
    Angry mobs, burning torches and rope.

It doesn't really surprise me that this would be your preferred method.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How do we do it now? Why does policing and courts have to be a function of the state?

I asked you to answer a question. Not to ask me one back.
  • Options
    If you think about, my answer is in my question.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If you think about, my answer is in my question.

Well then, explain it for those of us who don't do subliminal answers.
  • Options
    Blimey, do I really have to join the dots for you?

OK - why can't communities run their own police and courts? Drawn from all members of that community? Why do you need the state to legitimise it?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Blimey, do I really have to join the dots for you?

OK - why can't communities run their own police and courts? Drawn from all members of that community? Why do you need the state to legitimise it?

Blimey no need to be so sarcastic about it i was just asking. For someone who thinks everyone should get a long in their own communities you could so a little more tolerance to others. :yeees:

Someone is still going to need the authority to form the police and courts. Surely in that case all courts would have different laws to eachother. I dont think many many small communities with different laws will work in this day and age.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It doesn't really surprise me that this would be your preferred method.

:chin:
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Blimey no need to be so sarcastic about it i was just asking. :yeees:

Someone is still going to need the authority to form the police and courts.

Why can't it be a decision of the community?
    Renzo wrote:
    Surely in that case all courts would have different laws to eachother. I dont think many many small communities with different laws will work in this day and age.

Why not?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why not?

What if someone commits a crime in a community that is not his. Who takes respbonsibility of his punishment, what is his punishment? Jail?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why can't it be a decision of the community?

Because the whole community can't sit down and decide what to do with every little thing, people don't have time for this. This is why we have leaders today.

Blagsta wrote:
    Why not?

Imagine it. Travelling 2 miles down the road to another village with totally different laws. It would be madness. Outsiders doing something acceptable in their own community could be punished in the place they were visiting. For example through something like carrying a weapon.

Besides, how would this community come about. If it was surely it would be through some top down coup forcing an annarchical society on society because i can sure as hell not see it happening from the bottom up.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    What if someone commits a crime in a community that is not his. Who takes respbonsibility of his punishment, what is his punishment? Jail?

What happens today if someone commits a crime in another country?
  • Options
    Quick defence of Blagsta, anarchism has never been more possible, due to modern technology.

We've had courts for hundreds if not thousands of years, way before the nation state or the police force. We used to use the golden rule and damages to sort these matters out.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Besides, how would this community come about.

At the end of a gun barrel.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What happens today if someone commits a crime in another country?

Ok..so the person gets put in a jail then?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Because the whole community can't sit down and decide what to do with every little thing, people don't have time for this.

Why don't they have time?
    Renzo wrote:
    This is why we have leaders today.

Well, no, but never mind.

Renzo wrote:
    Imagine it. Travelling 2 miles down the road to another village with totally different laws. It would be madness. Outsiders doing something acceptable in their own community could be punished in the place they were visiting. For example through something like carrying a weapon.

You're making lots of assumptions there. Why would different communities neccesarily have different laws? Look - laws are mostly to do with acquiring material goods. In a society where everyone is catered for, there would be little need for property crime. Other anti-social behaviour tends to be universal - rape and murder are crimes in all countries are they not?

Renzo wrote:
    Besides, how would this community come about. If it was surely it would be through some top down coup forcing an annarchical society on society because i can sure as hell not see it happening from the bottom up.

On the contrary, most people I speak to would love to have more say in their community and workplace. Wouldn't you?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    In a society where everyone is catered for, there would be little need for property crime.

I love that bit......... :D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why don't they have time?

Surely in this self sufficient society everyone would be busy farming the crops or whatever. By stopping to sort out various matters there wont be enough product to go around to everyone.

Blagsta wrote:
    You're making lots of assumptions there. Why would different communities neccesarily have different laws? Look - laws are mostly to do with acquiring material goods. In a society where everyone is catered for, there would be little need for property crime. Other anti-social behaviour tends to be universal - rape and murder are crimes in all countries are they not?

Because when left to their own devices whats to say that different societies will have different laws. My example before. Say in community A its perfectly legal to carry some sort of item for self defence. But in Community B it is illegal to have arms at all. Person from community A goes to community B without knowledge of B's laws. Person A gets locked up for breaking B's laws for something that would be perfectly acceptable in his own state.

And as for 'property crime' Whats to say that there wont be someone who always wants more. There will always be people who want more than they need. Perhaps in order to exercise control over others.

Blagsta wrote:
    On the contrary, most people I speak to would love to have more say in their community and workplace. Wouldn't you?

I don't know I don't have a job. It still seems impossible that this sort of society you suggest would occur though. It seems the massess are at least content with life we have at the moment.
  • Options
    Yes, its good isn't it?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Surely in this self sufficient society everyone would be busy farming the crops or whatever.

Who says we'd all resort back to being farmers. You could perfectly sustain this sort of life in an anarchist based society, I just don't think it could work on a large scale where humans have become accoustumed to the idea of ownership, greed, money etc etc.