Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

philosophical and political idealism ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think society needs to be governed, but how much power governments has over our life and freedom is a different thing. Look at the anti terror laws for example... Human rights are gradually being erroded and it's only gonna get worse.
  • Options
    I think people are perfectly capable of being in charge of their own lives.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I think people are perfectly capable of being in charge of their own lives.
    Maybe, but there're always be conflicts between people... How will these be resolved?

Do you propose a tribal construct to society?
  • Options
    Maybe, but there're always be conflicts between people... How will these be resolved?

How are they resolved now?
    Do you propose a tribal construct to society?

No. Do you?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Hobbes is a twat

:yes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How are they resolved now?
    Well take for example riots, the police would break them up.

If there's no authority how could criminals be brought to justice? Who would uphold or even create the laws?

No. Do you?
    Not really... A times a more tribal priativist society is appealing, but it probably wouldn't work.
  • Options
    Well take for example riots, the police would break them up.

What if people controlled their own communities? How likely would they be to riot then?
    If there's no authority how could criminals be brought to justice?

Authority would be invested in the community.
    Who would uphold or even create the laws?

People.
  • Options
    Society needs a government - the government is the umpire in private contracts between individuals and is responsible for creating a secure and safe arena for the market place through things like monopoly control etc. For this some very minimal taxation is required.

However, the governments functions should not extend to wealth redistribution on a massive and punitive scale, social engineering or any direct interference in the market place through things like price fixes or interest rate controls.

The 'night watchman' state is the best option, because the market knows (and performs) best.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What if people controlled their own communities? How likely would they be to riot then?

People would still have problems with eachother, some people would always use violence.

People are not going to be going around holding hands and dancing just because there is no "authority"
  • Options
    That seems like a contradictory view there Mat. If "the market knows best" (seems a bit mystical to me, but let's leave that for now), why does it need the state to regulate it?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    People would still have problems with eachother, some people would always use violence.

People are not going to be going around holding hands and dancing just because there is no "authority"

And? Have I argued otherwise? Whats' your point? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Society needs a government - the government is the umpire in private contracts between individuals and is responsible for creating a secure and safe arena for the market place through things like monopoly control etc. For this some very minimal taxation is required.

Yes. Except the taxation bit. There need to be taxes for...
    However, the governments functions should not extend to wealth redistribution on a massive and punitive scale, social engineering or any direct interference in the market place through things like price fixes or interest rate controls.

The 'night watchman' state is the best option, because the market knows (and performs) best.

Wealth Distribution, you can't have a state leaving its poorest citizens to suffer while some fat cat enjoys a life of luxery with money he doesn't need.

No.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    And? Have I argued otherwise? Whats' your point? :confused::confused:

People are still going to be violent to eachother in a state without authority, perhaps more so when there is no authority to stop them doing whatever they want. e.g. I like that blokes house, i could kill him and obtain it myself
  • Options
    No - the market is unregulated. What I said was that the state should provide a secure enviroment for the market to flourish.
  • Options
    If the market knows best, why the need for the state?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    People are still going to be violent to eachother in a state without authority, perhaps more so when there is no authority to stop them doing whatever they want. e.g. I like that blokes house, i could kill him and obtain it myself

What is stopping you do that now? Just the fear of getting caught? Or something else?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What is stopping you do that now? Just the fear of getting caught? Or something else?

Well for some people it would be the fear of getting caught and receiving the punishment I'm sure. People still commit crimes now when there is a punishment so why wouldn't they do it when there was no 'official' punishment.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Well for some people it would be the fear of getting caught and receiving the punishment I'm sure.

I asked you what is stopping you.
    Renzo wrote:
    People still commit crimes now when there is a punishment so why wouldn't they do it when there was no 'official' punishment.

You've got the wrong end of the stick completely. Leaving aside the fact that a lot of crimes are actually to do with property acquisition and inequality, where exactly have I argued for no "punishment" (although I think that word is too loaded)?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I asked you what is stopping you.

Personally I'm a pacifist and don't think violence is the answer to anything. I have morals as I'm sure many people do, but there are people who don't have them.

Blagsta wrote:
    You've got the wrong end of the stick completely. Leaving aside the fact that a lot of crimes are actually to do with property acquisition and inequality, where exactly have I argued for no "punishment" (although I think that word is too loaded)?

How have I got the "wrong end of the stick then?"

Yes you can argue some crime is to do with inequality, but there are still just some nasty people out there who will do things anyway in a lawless anarchical society just because they want to and can. I'm saying in an annarchical society there is no "punishment" as that is the whole point of anarchy, there are no laws and people are free to do what they want.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Personally I'm a pacifist and don't think violence is the answer to anything. I have morals as I'm sure many people do, but there are people who don't have them.

So laws have no effect on whether you commit violence on others then?
    Renzo wrote:
    How have I got the "wrong end of the stick then?"

Yes you can argue some crime is to do with inequality, but there are still just some nasty people out there who will do things anyway in a lawless anarchical society just because they want to and can. I'm saying in an annarchical society there is no "punishment" as that is the whole point of anarchy, there are no laws and people are free to do what they want.

You seem to be confusing anarchy with anarchism.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So laws have no effect on whether you commit violence on others then?

They do yes, but as I said I wouldn't commit violent acts anyway.

Blagsta wrote:
    You seem to be confusing anarchy with anarchism.

If that is the case, would you care to explain the difference then?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    They do yes, but as I said I wouldn't commit violent acts anyway.

Exactly - you wouldn't commit violent acts anyway. Why is that?

Renzo wrote:
    If that is the case, would you care to explain the difference then?

Anarchy means an abscence of law and order. Anarchism is a political system where communities are in charge of their own affairs. It does not mean "there are no laws and people are free to do what they want."
    http://www.infoshop.org/faq/
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Exactly - you wouldn't commit violent acts anyway. Why is that?]

I'm saying because I wouldn't but there are going to be people out there who get there kicks from exercising violence and control over others.

Blagsta wrote:
    Anarchy means an abscence of law and order. Anarchism is a political system where communities are in charge of their own affairs. It does not mean "there are no laws and people are free to do what they want."
    http://www.infoshop.org/faq/

The link doesn't work. (Actually it does but took an age to load)

But I will take your word for it, I just looked up the definition of Anarchism in Key Ideas In Politics by Moyra Grant

So how are laws enforced in an anarchical society?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I'm saying because I wouldn't but there are going to be people out there who get there kicks from exercising violence

Do you think there are more people like you out there? or more people who like violence? Why do you think they like violence? Why do you think that an anarchist society wouldn't be able to defend itself anyway?

Renzo wrote:
    The link doesn't work.

Their server appears a bit flaky and slow at the moment, but it is working.
    Renzo wrote:
    But I will take your word for it, I just looked up the definition of Anarchism in Key Ideas In Politics

Try this
    http://www.libcom.org/thought/faq/
    Renzo wrote:
    So how are laws enforced in an anarchical society?

People are capable of policing themselves. As I already asked - what is it that stops you going out and burgling your neighbours? Fear of going to prison? Or something else?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Do you think there are more people like you out there? or more people who like violence? Why do you think they like violence? Why do you think that an anarchist society wouldn't be able to defend itself anyway?

There will be more people like me out there yes, but there will always be a minority who will exercise violence and power over others. The strong preying on the weak and so on, something that has been happening throughout history.
    Blagsta wrote:
    People are capable of policing themselves. As I already asked - what is it that stops you going out and burgling your neighbours? Fear of going to prison? Or something else?

For a start my neighbour is the prison so i think i would be a fool to try and burgle that particular building ;) I wouldn't do it because I know It's wrong, but again there are people who cannot see a difference between right and wrong which is the reason why some crimes are committed.

Also how are people capable of policing themselves? And in what way would they do it?
  • Options
    There are 60 million people in britain.

There are about a 120,000 policemen and women.

Conclusion.

Most people don't need to be policed.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    There are 60 million people in britain.

There are about a 120,000 policemen and women.

Conclusion.

Most people don't need to be policed.

I've seen you make this point before and your conclusion was that people don't fear the police itself, they fear the idea of police.

Well it's the same for the state, the idea of a state provides reassurance and comfort to most people. And if you can manage to convince people that it's not actually the state providing services, it's the people who are doing it under the guse of the state, then you can sort a lot of problems we have. Doing that though is the task.
  • Options
    the more i read you lot the more i fear your in another century.

most of your ideas seem to be about community ...well that was all good and well when we had steel textiles shipbulding engeneering ming communities etc ...we don't have those anymo.
    we now have a global community of billions under the control of digital bankinig.

so ...someone is going to have power that all your fancy ideas arent going to take back into communal ideas and ideals.

face it ...mammon has won.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

What happens when people start leading movements of aggression. What would happen if neo-nazis or religious fundamentalists organise themselves, or people from one town invaded another town to loot, steal, or impose rule?

Without any form of organised government surely there is a big danger of this sort of thing happening.
  • Options
    the big danger that i see is you are all so yesterdays thinking.
    your allso old fashioned!
    your all looking at thinking that belongs in bygone days ...yet you believe your all so fucking modern and up to date!

carry on with your ancient thinking and you are fucking doomed ...