Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

They Behead Schoolgirls

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You clearly also missed the part where the Israelis provoke revenge attacks. You tell me when the last bus attack was, and I'll tell you when the last killing of a Palestinian was ...

Yes bacause it's always a case of tit-for-tat, one-for-one isn't it? :rolleyes:
    elcted Palestinian "representatives"

Who mentioned elections? :p
  • Options
    No, no, it wasn't directed at you as such. I was addressing the general impression some people have and repeat that the Palestinians should have settled for past, pisspoor peace deals put on the table by the Israelis and that they have only themselves to blame for the continuing troubles.

But surely the general impression from Disillusioned and MoK is not that the Palestinians are too blame, but that both sides are. the ones who are blaming everything on one side seem to be blaming the Israelis?

And it may be at some point the Palestinians have to accept less land than what they wish and Israel will have to accept some degree of insecurity. Its called negotiation and short of Iran getting its hands on nukes, seems to be the only way the conflict is going to end.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But surely the general impression from Disillusioned and MoK is not that the Palestinians are too blame, but that both sides are. the ones who are blaming everything on one side seem to be blaming the Israelis?

And it may be at some point the Palestinians have to accept less land than what they wish and Israel will have to accept some degree of insecurity. Its called negotiation and short of Iran getting its hands on nukes, seems to be the only way the conflict is going to end.

Bullshit - end US funding of the bully boys and a resolution will be found quite quickly and painlessly.

Anyway - anyone who wears a Rolex deserves to be mugged, right? They share the blame for the mugging. Right?
  • Options
    Bullshit - end US funding of the bully boys and a resolution will be found quite quickly and painlessly.

Well it may be quick, I suspect it will only be painless if the surviving Israeli's can swim.
    Anyway - anyone who wears a Rolex deserves to be mugged, right? They share the blame for the mugging. Right?

Given your political views I'm not sure if you see this as an allegory or some sort of weird redistribution of wealth. If its an allegory it doesn't work btw
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Well it may be quick, I suspect it will only be painless if the surviving Israeli's can swim.

Given your political views I'm not sure if you see this as an allegory or some sort of weird redistribution of wealth. If its an allegory it doesn't work btw

Despite the fact that most white South Africans learnt how to swim in their private pools, it turned out that they didn't need to exercise the skill when Apartheid ended. They all used to think they'd have to though.

As an allegory it works wonderfully.

Someone has a Rolex. Someone else needs a Rolex, so they take it by force. When the original owner resists, he is as much to blame as the mugger.

Thats the argument here, no?
  • Options

Of course, no-one funds the Palestinian terror teams...
  • Options
    Of course, no-one funds the Palestinian terror teams...

Hmm, they're pretty low budget in comparison. Or are you going to argue that they received the same as the beneficiaries of the most US Aid prior to the Iraq fiasco?

Your point is what? That the little brown people should let the big white bullies do what they want.

Thats so damn 19th Century you know.
  • Options
    Someone has a Rolex. Someone else needs a Rolex, so they take it by force. When the original owner resists, he is as much to blame as the mugger.

Only if you include the neighbours, thousands of years of oppression and the wiping out of most of one of the men's families...
  • Options
    Only if you include the neighbours, thousands of years of oppression and the wiping out of most of one of the men's families...

Yes, I read it on a zionist website.

And the bible is literal and true, right?
  • Options
    Hmm, they're pretty low budget in comparison.

So fucking what?
    Your point is what? That the little brown people should let the big white bullies do what they want.

Obviously, that's exactly what I said isn't it? :rolleyes:

You really need to learn to read, or at least you could improve your understanding of the English language.

BTW Which are the little brown people?
  • Options
    Despite the fact that most white South Africans learnt how to swim in their private pools, it turned out that they didn't need to exercise the skill when Apartheid ended. They all used to think they'd have to though.

I must have missed the bit about the ANC calling for the destruction of all whites. Here was I thinking that they'd always been calling for a multi-ethnic democracy.
    As an allegory it works wonderfully.

Yes, but who had the rolex? I assume your arguing it was the Palestinians, but it could equally be argued it was the Israelis in 1948 - they just beat off the mugger. Of course a more sensible view would be that the Arab-Israeli wars are slightly more complex than a Rolex mugging.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    I must have missed the bit about the ANC calling for the destruction of all whites. Here was I thinking that they'd always been calling for a multi-ethnic democracy.

S'funny - the slogan "ONE SETTLER - ONE BULLET" was pretty damn pervasive.

Mind you, I seem to have missed the PA calling for the extermination of all Jews. Could you point me to it please?

I think you'll find thats it Hamas that most people regard as the threat, no?

NQA wrote:
    Yes, but who had the rolex? I assume your arguing it was the Palestinians, but it could equally be argued it was the Israelis in 1948 - they just beat off the mugger. Of course a more sensible view would be that the Arab-Israeli wars are slightly more complex than a Rolex mugging.

Nice classy bit of revisionism there. It was 400 Palestinian villages and towns that were destroyed. And the complicated bits tend to be the zionist justifications - heh I even read that the Palestinians were Nazis during WW2 recently.

Only they weren't actually anything to do with what Hitler did in the death camps as it happens.

What were your ancestors doing 2000 years ago NQA?

PS -
    If it helps, the muggers of course came from deprived backgrounds and could argue quite lucidly why they had a right to the watches. They even had a certificate from some holy deity that said they rightfully owned all the rolex watches in the world.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

Indeed. And most credible historians seem to confirm that. Benny Morris widely considered one of the most authoritative historians on this topic does. His opinions are based primarily on declassified documents and he has consistently rejected the standard Zionist history that the Palestinians and Arabs are to blame for everything and the standard Arab history that blames Israel for everything.

Blaming one side for everything is simplistic; this conflict is not as black and white as the extremes on either side make out. The likes of freethepeeps being an extreme on the Palestinian side.

Either way Israelis aren’t going anyway and a Palestinian state is at some point inevitable so both sides need to learn to live together side-by-side in peace.
  • Options
    Dont you lot get really really tired of debating Israel?

You go over it page after stupid page, not one of you actually debating just stating and re-stating your postion over and over. Its totally pointless.
  • Options
    Er the 1947 UN offer was equal/better than what the Palestinians will probably end up with...

The 2000 deal was also pretty good.
    'Clinton dispatched a set of proposals for a comprehensive, final status Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement to Barak and Arafat. Dated December 23, the Clinton proposals called for a hand over of "94-96 percent" of the West Bank to Palestinian sovereignty and Israeli territorial compensation to the Palestinians elsewhere (presumably in the northwestern Negev, adjoining the Gaza Strip) for the 4-6 percent it would retain; the evacuation of most Israeli settlements; an international force to secure the new borders, particularly between the West Bank and Jordan; early warnig stations in the West Bank; the demilitarization of the Palestinian state; the division of Jerusalem according to demographic concentrations, with the Arab districts under Palestinian sovereignty and the Jewish districts under Israeli sovereignty; and some form of Palestinian sovereignty over the Temple Mount and Israeli sovereignty over the Wailing Wall...At the end of December the Israeli government formally accepted Clinton's proposals as a basis for settlement; Arafat responded with a long list of questions and objections, amounting to a rejection.' Benny Morris Righteous Victims p. 671 (Morris gives one footnote for the final sentence - a HaAretz article Dec 28 2000

The truth about Barak's "generous" offer

In other words, utter rubbish.
  • Options
    don't think this is common practice amongst followers of the islam faith is it?

Islamists are not Muslims.
    You go over it page after stupid page, not one of you actually debating just stating and re-stating your postion over and over. Its totally pointless.

Indeed - the point about this thread was to highlight the global threat of Islamism and the solutions needed to eradicate it. Instead it has been sidetracked by the Israel-Palestine sideshow.
  • Options
    Don't you think though Mat, that the actions of the West might actually be fuelling Islamism and Islamist terrorism? For instance, there were no Islamicist terrorists in Iraq before us and the US decided to go in.
  • Options
    Don't you think though Mat, that the actions of the West might actually be fuelling Islamism and Islamist terrorism?

How do the actions of the west have anything to do with the barbarity in my original post?

It may suprise some of you to learn that the West is not the cause of all the evil in the world, not the Great Satan. It is in fact the most enlightened and civilized form of society humanity has ever known.
    For instance, there were no Islamicist terrorists in Iraq before us and the US decided to go in.

Rubbish.
  • Options
    How do the actions of the west have anything to do with the barbarity in my original post?

Did I say it did?
    It may suprise some of you to learn that the West is not the cause of all the evil in the world, not the Great Satan.

Are you in training to be Worzel Gummidge?
    It is in fact the most enlightened and civilized form of society humanity has ever known.

It may surprise to to learn that the West is not perfect. But how about answering my actual point?
    Rubbish.

Errrr...its true actually. Look it up. Iraq was quite a secular society and Saddam squashed any of that nonsense quite effectively and viciously.
  • Options
    Rubbish.
    That's actually true Matadore. Regardless of all the atrocities commited by Saddam's regime, the undeniable fact remains that the country was stable and suffered from no terrorism and/or Al Qaida actions whatsoever.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The truth about Barak's "generous" offer

In other words, utter rubbish.

Er thanks for the link. However, I'd generally consider Benny Morris one of the most respected historians on Israel/Palestine to be more credible than 'doublestandards.org'.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    And how much has that been down to the US rather than Israel? In fact, you might say that the ball is in neither courts, it's in the court of the wealthy US jews such as the Rockefellers and the Rothschilds.

You've hit an intersting point there - that Israel may as well become the next state of America, the way its going. :p
  • Options
    Er thanks for the link. However, I'd generally consider Benny Morris one of the most respected historians on Israel/Palestine to be more credible than 'doublestandards.org'.

Are you disputing the facts stated on that website?

Don't worry, they are stated by many others:

http://www.gush-shalom.org/media/barak_eng.swf

And I don't care if the website or those behind it are "biased". Facts are facts, and I hope you're not suggesting that the facts presented above are made up.

Which brings down to the same point: Barak's peace proposal was unnaceptable rubbish.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    You've hit an intersting point there - that Israel may as well become the next state of America, the way its going. :p

Debatable. In recent years Israel has hinted that it would like to join the EU.

Although I think it’s quite unlikely I think after the creation of a Palestinian state it could be feasible. Israel joining the EU is certainly a lot more likely than it becoming the 51st state. EU membership would make sense for Israel in that most of Israel’s trade is with EU members. Although the factors pointed out in that article make it all sound rather unlikely...If though the Conservatives got their way on what the EU should be; something more resembling NAFTA than the attempt at a super-state it's becoming I think they could join.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are you disputing the facts stated on that website?

Don't worry, they are stated by many others:

http://www.gush-shalom.org/media/barak_eng.swf

And I don't care if the website or those behind it are "biased". Facts are facts, and I hope you're not suggesting that the facts presented above are made up.

Which brings down to the same point: Barak's peace proposal was unnaceptable rubbish.

I haven't read into it in depth yet. However, at first glance I am more inclined to trust Benny Morris knowing him to be a fair and balanced historian on Israel/Palestine rather than a partisan website. Although I will look into it further when I have time.
  • Options
    I haven't read into it in depth yet. However, at first glance I am more inclined to trust Benny Morris knowing him to be a fair and balanced historian on Israel/Palestine rather than a partisan website. Although I will look into it further when I have time.

Sorry, did you really say "fair and balanced?

Are you on drugs or something?

:eek:
  • Options
    Did I say it did?

I'd say it was an act of Islamic extremism which is completly unrelated to western foreign policy.
    Are you in training to be Worzel Gummidge?

Who is that?
    It may surprise to to learn that the West is not perfect.

Did I say that?
    Errrr...its true actually. Look it up. Iraq was quite a secular society and Saddam squashed any of that nonsense quite effectively and viciously.

Its ludicrous to suggest that the entire country was empty of Islamic militants.
  • Options
    Its ludicrous to suggest that the entire country was empty of Islamic militants.

Maybe there were a few...however they were far from active and I'm sure there are countless other countries in the same situation today. The sad truth is mat, Iraq was no terrorist haven before the war, now it is a water-hole for terrorists...so much for freedom and democracy eh?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    As above.

The terrorists were ruthlesly crushed by Saddam, as they opposed his regieme in nearly every way - he was as much an ememy as America to them.

This is, Mat, a fact. The war was badly planned, executed, and the follow up plan didnt seem to exist. A perfect model of how not to liberate a country.
  • Options
    Sorry, did you really say "fair and balanced?

Are you on drugs or something?

:eek:

If you’re referring to accidentally regurgitating Fox News’s tagline fair enough…If you were questioning the credibility of the historian Benny Morris, I know it’s not like you but providing some substance would be helpful.