Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

They Behead Schoolgirls

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    More aggressive prosecution of regimes which condone this type of behaviour and seek to export it in the international arena.

Sanctions? Military action? What sort of prosecution?

I am, in part with you, I'd much rather we operated an ethical policy when it came to other nations and had nothing to do with ones with dodgy human rights record. I think where we differ is you would take a more agressive and pro-active approach.
  • Options
    Ignore.
  • Options
    Ooops, sorry, problems with the site, its not my fault.
  • Options
    Great, so you also believe Israel is a complete mess and we should confront them directly.

Israel is acting unilaterally to at least achieve a part-solution. I have my suspicions as to how long term Sharon is thinking.

Certainly - I would condemn Israeli killing of civilians, but I would place them within the framework of organised Palestinian terrorism and the continued anti-Israeli, anti-Semitic rhetoric (and action - 6 day war anyone?) of the Palestinian paramilitary groups and many middle eastern governments.
  • Options
    Things like involuntary female genital mutilation; or the hanging of teen-age gays; or infanticide; or the barbarism shown in my original post.

Plenty of countries practice female genital mutilation, the teenage gays are alleged to have raped a thirteen year old boy at knifepoint - do you have any evidence they didn't, what proof do you have of infanticide and is it not also practiced in other countries, and the "!barbarism shown in my original post" referred to Indonesia.

So, why Iran?
  • Options
    anti-Semitic rhetoric .

:confused:

I doubt there's much anti-semitism going on there
  • Options
    anti-Semitic rhetoric of much of the Palestinian paramilitary groups

Do be so kind as elaborate on just how it is that true semites (i.e. The Palestinians and all other Arab peoples of the region) can be "anti-Semitic".

Best you turn your spotlight on the only true anti-Semites of the region, i.e. Eastern European, Khazari-originated Zionist invaders and ethnic cleansers of Palestine and its historic inhabitants.
  • Options
    No, but I would imagine you would be pretty comfortable with it, being a defender of the status quo and 'stability' in the middle east.
    No I wouldn't be comfortable with it at all. But I would not illegally bomb or invade them- nor would I bend over and lower my trousers in front of them for the sake of selling a few F-16s and buying cheap oil, as our fine leaders do.
  • Options
    It is? I think you might want to read a little more history. You will find that there are several nations/groups who need to hang their heads in shame rather than wringing their hands.
    Sure. But the Palestinian people aren't one of them. The Palestinians are the victims here.

I'd add that terrorists are also oppressive by their very nature and perhaps we should also look at how the arab nations treated (and continue to treat) the Palestinians.
    Have Israelis been subjected to 40 years of illegal occupation?

Have they had their freedom of movement curbed?

Have they had their land stolen and houses demolished at national level?

Have they been driven to total economic failure and levels of poverty that make some African nations look like Northern Europe in comparison?

Have they had Apartheid Walls built around them against their will?

Have they been subjected to collective punishment such as water and electricity cuts?

All the misery suicide bombers have caused to Israeli citizens (which is great) doesn't even account for 1% of the appalling catalogue of atrocities the Palestinian people have suffered in comparison.

Again, perspective.

Here's an concept for the Palestinians which I am not sure they have tried. Stop bombing Israelis and they will have no defence for killing you, thus world opinion (including that of the USA) will support you and action will be taken.

By the same token, if Israel pulled out of the West Bank & Gaza and terrorism continues then it would be hard for people to "justify" what is happening. That said there are some, for whom the very existence of Israel is justification.
    There have been long periods during the 40-year occupation when there has been no bombings and no terrorism. At no point has Israel even proposed to withdraw. Ever.

Even during negotiations has never Israel proposing withdrawing from the West Bank. Perhaps they should, for one, offer to withdraw in full, to take down the Nazi Wall and to negotiate Jerusalem later, in exchange for an immediate stop to all terrorism.

And for as long as Israel insists on keeping the stolen land it should return, peace will never happen.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No I wouldn't be comfortable with it at all. But I would not illegally bomb or invade them- nor would I bend over and lower my trousers in front of them for the sake of selling a few F-16s and buying cheap oil, as our fine leaders do.

Yes, but that's because there's no consequences to your actions. Its all fine and well saying we should have an ethical foreign policy; it becomes a little harder when petrol costs are spirally out of control, people are being laid off right, left and centre and terrorists are planting bombs on the streets of the country you govern.

We have to deal with the world as it is, rather than how we'd like it to be.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Yes, but that's because there's no consequences to your actions. Its all fine and well saying we should have an ethical foreign policy; it becomes a little harder when petrol costs are spirally out of control, people are being laid off right, left and centre and terrorists are planting bombs on the streets of the country you govern.

We have to deal with the world as it is, rather than how we'd like it to be.
    We make the world as it is. And it is up to us to try to change it in the best way possible.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    We make the world as it is. And it is up to us to try to change it in the best way possible.

Human beings aren't going to change. Killings will always go on, there will be economies which are disfunctional, terrorism, murder, despots. The only way to change this is a one-world Government (and you don't seem to like the US even moving slightly this way). So in the end some people have to make ruthless and tough decisions, so that those without that responsibility can criticise them.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    The only way to change this is a one-world Government (and you don't seem to like the US even moving slightly this way).

What a load of complete tosh.

White western rule of the world would in no way end the problem. See Iraq for further information.

:eek2:
  • Options
    Do be so kind as elaborate on just how it is that true semites (i.e. The Palestinians and all other Arab peoples of the region) can be "anti-Semitic".

When the term Anti-Semitism is used it refers to hostility towards Jews/Judaism and discrimination against Jews.

You’re obsession with the terminology is tedious. Although I am surprised that you don’t dispute the existence of the phenomenon Matadore was describing instead of simply quibbling over the background of the phrase.
    Best you turn your spotlight on the only true anti-Semites of the region, i.e. Eastern European, Khazari-originated Zionist invaders and ethnic cleansers of Palestine and its historic inhabitants.

Your brief history of Zionism is as one-sided and defunct as Joan Peters version of events, of course you're view appears to be based on Peters equivalents on the opposite extreme of the argument.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The Palestinians are the victims here.

The 1947 UN partition plan would have created two states; a Jewish one and an Arab one. The Jewish Agency accepted it. The Palestinians didn’t. The Palestinians launched hostilities against the Zionists. The Arabs invaded.

Yes, the Palestinians are the victims but to blame their fate entirely on Israel is historically inaccurate and ignores the actions of the Arab states as well as the poor leadership of the Palestinians.
  • Options
    The 1947 UN partition plan would have created two states; a Jewish one and an Arab one. The Jewish Agency accepted it. The Palestinians didn’t. The Palestinians launched hostilities against the Zionists. The Arabs invaded.

Yes, the Palestinians are the victims but to blame their fate entirely on Israel is historically inaccurate and ignores the actions of the Arab states as well as the poor leadership of the Palestinians.

So, because the Palestinians weren't happy to give most of their country over on the say so of colonialists, then its their fault?

And then there was the ethnic cleansing in 1948, when 750 000 Palestinians were driven out of 'Israel' and became refugees. Israel's admittance to the UN was conditional on the refugees being allowed to return. Has Israel complied with this?

Zionism is a racist, land stealing ideology - and the Palestinians are without a doubt victims of that ideology.
  • Options
    Your reliance on revisionistic, sanitised and a wholly conscripted Zionistic whitewash of the origins of the state and its ideological founders shows in your every post dis. You are no student of either sound history nor of consistent application of principle (as addressed numerous times in other threads), but rather of what you foolishly indict others as guilty of, one-sidedness. Sadly for you, its the side guilty of betraying even the most fundamental tenets of its proclaimed faith in favour of long-sought grasping aspirations of some exceptionalistic and preferential state model rooted in a 19th century imperialistic tradition.

My, and indeed countless others', perspective on the State of Israel is neither brief nor defunct but very much a constant reminder of the truth which that states' successive leaders and their enablers have - for a variety of political, corporate, ideological and misguided theological reasons - sought to bury or villify to excuse their own terroristic and racist agenda spanning 80+ years.

When you are prepared to read more than the Jerasulem Post or the hack journalism of Joseph Farah for understanding of the nature of the conflict, do be sure to let us know.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Sure. But the Palestinian people aren't one of them. The Palestinians are the victims here.

Bollocks, they are to blame just as much as ordinary Israelis are. They should be holding their "representatives" to account too you know.
    Have Israelis been subjected to 40 years of illegal occupation?

No.

56 years of armed conflict though.
    And for as long as Israel insists on keeping the stolen land it should return, peace will never happen.

... and for as long as those lands are used as a base to attack Israel from, then they will occupy it. There is a reason why Israel occupied those lands and it wasn't an act of agression. They would rather defend in terrortory other than their own if they can. At the same time we all know that the very occupation is why the bombs continue.

Israel will not trust the Palestinians, and vice versa. This isn't a black and white situation like you portray.

Until you can start to get inside the mind of the Israeli Govt you will never understand their viewpoint. As threads here show polarisation is not going to offer any solutions.

If you could guarantee that the bombs would stop then I'm sure that Israel would consider it's view, as I have already explained. World pressure would change, at the moment though the bombs mean that the US and others will always back Israel.

Besides, when you have the leader of another nation calling for you to be removed from the map, it's hardly surprising that you react badly. Seeing as many people on these boards will defend the "insurgents" in trying to oust the US and UK forces from Iraq (on the same basis), so Israel will defend using force to maintain it's borders.
  • Options
    Bollocks, they are to blame just as much as ordinary Israelis are.

Thats right, like the Israelis the Palestinians moved there from other places. Of course none of the people who voluntarily moved into the region realised that it was land that was already occupied by other people, and hey presto when they arrived they didn't see any evidence of human habitation.

:shocking:

AFAIK all the power is held by the Israeli state in this scenario.

Remind us what power the "elected Palestinian representatives" hold please MOK.

What decisions can they take all on their own, and execute without interference.

That'd be nice and instructive for me.

So, thanks in advance.
  • Options
    56 years of armed conflict though.

Actually far longer, MoK. A conflict their founders began against the indigenous peoples, through organised military expansionist aggression, land clearances, terrorism and ethnocide. A conflict, once again, which the indigenous peoples had and continue to have every right to retaliate against as would you and your descendants if foreign ideologues arrived to drive you and yours from your rightful property on some spurious claim of divine right.

Until the truth of the origins of this conflict and heinous ideology - which manipulated and forced itself upon a land and peoples over which it had no legitimate claim (by any Western legal standard) - is acknowledged and atoned for by Israel and its blinkered apologists to the generations of indigenous victims, there will be no just and lasting peace. Simple as.
  • Options
    You are no student of either sound history nor of consistent application of principle.

Meh. Hopefully the History tutors at Oxford feel differently about me at interview. *fingers crossed*
    When you are prepared to read more than the Jerasulem Post or the hack journalism of Joseph Farah for understanding of the nature of the conflict, do be sure to let us know.

Er I'll provide a list of texts I've read if you want on Israeli history that I've read.
    Benny Morris -
    Righteous Victims
    The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited
    Efraim Karsh -
    Fabricating Israeli History: The 'New Historians' (a critique of Benny Morris, Avi Shlaim, etc)
    The Arab-Israeli Conflict: The Palestine War 1948
    Avi Shlaim -
    The Iron Wall
    Ritchie Ovendale -
    The Origins of the Arab-Israeli Wars
    Joan Peters -
    From Time Immemorial
    Norman Finkelstein -
    Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict (Finkelstein as I am sure you are aware displays Peters book to be a hoax).
    Ilan Pappe -
    A History of Modern Palestine: One Land, Two Peoples

Some of this reading was out of my own personal interest although the bulk of it was because I chose to do my A-level History coursework on Israel/Palestine.
  • Options
    Bollocks, they are to blame just as much as ordinary Israelis are. They should be holding their "representatives" to account too you know.
    Are they to blame for being shot and have their land occupied illegally? :confused:

... and for as long as those lands are used as a base to attack Israel from, then they will occupy it. There is a reason why Israel occupied those lands and it wasn't an act of aggression. They would rather defend in terrortory other than their own if they can. At the same time we all know that the very occupation is why the bombs continue.

Israel will not trust the Palestinians, and vice versa. This isn't a black and white situation like you portray.

Until you can start to get inside the mind of the Israeli Govt you will never understand their viewpoint. As threads here show polarisation is not going to offer any solutions.

If you could guarantee that the bombs would stop then I'm sure that Israel would consider it's view, as I have already explained. World pressure would change, at the moment though the bombs mean that the US and others will always back Israel.

Besides, when you have the leader of another nation calling for you to be removed from the map, it's hardly surprising that you react badly. Seeing as many people on these boards will defend the "insurgents" in trying to oust the US and UK forces from Iraq (on the same basis), so Israel will defend using force to maintain it's borders.
    The thing is MoK, Israel hasn't had a military need (it never had a moral or legal one to start with) to keep occupying Palestine and the Syrian border for decades now. Despite their cries to the contrary.

And the fact remains that the Israelis have never even proposed to return the stolen land if the Palestinians were to immediately and permanently stop attacks. What exactly would the gain be for the Palestinians? "If you stop attacking us we will stop killing, bombing and oppressing you (well, thank you very much for such generous selfless offer!) and we will let you have a number of isolated fragments of what used to be your country- we'll keep the rest if it's all the same to you."

What exactly is the incentive for the Palestinians there???

The ball has always been in Israel's court. All it has to do is to promise to fulfil its international obligations and to offer to withdraw in full and return all land as per 1967 borders. Not an unreasonable demand one would think, seeing as it's not their fucking land to begin with. But something that it hasn't been prepared to do once.

Let them propose that once and for all, even only on condition that all attacks stop first, and you will see the 'ungrateful' Palestinians far more co-operative than they've been so far.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The ball has always been in Israel's court.

And how much has that been down to the US rather than Israel? In fact, you might say that the ball is in neither courts, it's in the court of the wealthy US jews such as the Rockefellers and the Rothschilds.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Are they to blame for being shot and have their land occupied illegally? :confused:

Are they to blame for supporting & supply terrorists ?
    'ungrateful' Palestinians

If this is the impression I have given then I apologise because it's not my view. If you read through my posts you will see that I try to offer a balance here, I see fault on both sides. The blame game will get nowhere except to give an excuse for more violence.

What I find stunning is that so many people are keen to "justify" Palestinian violence, but cannot do the same for Israel. At the same time there is huge condemnation of Israeli violence and a few words about that carried out by the Palestinians.

They both have their reasons, just because you do not agree doesn't mean that they are wrong. Get inside their heads, understand what motivate them to act in such ways and you might just stumble across the way to stop it. Seeing as bigger minds that ours cannot solve it though... ;)
  • Options
    Actually far longer, MoK. A conflict their founders began against the indigenous peoples, through organised military expansionist aggression, land clearances, terrorism and ethnocide. A conflict, once again, which the indigenous peoples had and continue to have every right to retaliate against as would you and your descendants if foreign ideologues arrived to drive you and yours from your rightful property on some spurious claim of divine right.

Until the truth of the origins of this conflict and heinous ideology - which manipulated and forced itself upon a land and peoples over which it had no legitimate claim (by any Western legal standard) - is acknowledged and atoned for by Israel and its blinkered apologists to the generations of indigenous victims, there will be no just and lasting peace. Simple as.

I'm impressed.

You didn't use the word "Zionist" once.

:p
  • Options
    AFAIK all the power is held by the Israeli state in this scenario.

Then you obviously know very little.

I must have missed the part where Israelis instruct Palestinians terrorists to attack buses...
    Remind us what power the "elected Palestinian representatives" hold please MOK.

I think that you will find that I didn't use that expression. Perhaps you would like to change the quote?
  • Options
    Unless you are prepared to come to terms with the reality of Zionism, its true aims and the inseparability of this ideology with the model of statehood sought by the founders and successive leaders (governments) of Israel up to the present (and their misguided apologists), you will fail to understand the nature of the conflict. It is intrinsic to the entire issue.
  • Options
    Then you obviously know very little.

I must have missed the part where Israelis instruct Palestinians terrorists to attack buses...

I think that you will find that I didn't use that expression. Perhaps you would like to change the quote?

You clearly also missed the part where the Israelis provoke revenge attacks. You tell me when the last bus attack was, and I'll tell you when the last killing of a Palestinian was .......

Ho hom

So anyway, could you remind me what power the elcted Palestinian "representatives" hold please?

:D
  • Options

Are they to blame for supporting & supply terrorists ?
    Well not all of them do. And not all attacks can be considered terrorism. But then even the terrorist attacks have happened as a reaction to an appalling and unberable situation. That doesn't make the killing of civilians any more acceptable, but we have understand the causes of terrorism and accept that the only way to eliminate them is to address the heart of the matter.

If this is the impression I have given then I apologise because it's not my view. If you read through my posts you will see that I try to offer a balance here, I see fault on both sides. The blame game will get nowhere except to give an excuse for more violence.
    No, no, it wasn't directed at you as such. I was addressing the general impression some people have and repeat that the Palestinians should have settled for past, pisspoor peace deals put on the table by the Israelis and that they have only themselves to blame for the continuing troubles.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I was addressing the general impression some people have and repeat that the Palestinians should have settled for past, pisspoor peace deals put on the table by the Israelis and that they have only themselves to blame for the continuing troubles.

Er the 1947 UN offer was equal/better than what the Palestinians will probably end up with...

The 2000 deal was also pretty good.
    'Clinton dispatched a set of proposals for a comprehensive, final status Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement to Barak and Arafat. Dated December 23, the Clinton proposals called for a hand over of "94-96 percent" of the West Bank to Palestinian sovereignty and Israeli territorial compensation to the Palestinians elsewhere (presumably in the northwestern Negev, adjoining the Gaza Strip) for the 4-6 percent it would retain; the evacuation of most Israeli settlements; an international force to secure the new borders, particularly between the West Bank and Jordan; early warnig stations in the West Bank; the demilitarization of the Palestinian state; the division of Jerusalem according to demographic concentrations, with the Arab districts under Palestinian sovereignty and the Jewish districts under Israeli sovereignty; and some form of Palestinian sovereignty over the Temple Mount and Israeli sovereignty over the Wailing Wall...At the end of December the Israeli government formally accepted Clinton's proposals as a basis for settlement; Arafat responded with a long list of questions and objections, amounting to a rejection.' Benny Morris Righteous Victims p. 671 (Morris gives one footnote for the final sentence - a HaAretz article Dec 28 2000