Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Faith school controversy

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kentish wrote:
    Your original point was that children shouldn't be taught something as fact when it isn't. You have to be taught about things to have an understanding of them. Just because evolution is a plausible theory supported by evidence doesn't make it fact. So there is room for alternative explanations. Just like if Shakespeare was the only literature taught at school, you would argue that alternative answers to the question of 'what is good literature' should be offered. Everyone should be aware that evolution is an explanation but not a fact.
    II don't think anyone is teaching children any different.

And just because evolution hasn't been proven beyond reproach it means you can teach children about any odd alternative... specially when it is very improbable and without foundation.

The only reason why some people want ID/Creationism to be taught to children is because it conforms with the religion of their choice, not because there is any evidence to support it as a plausible theory.
    How did you get to that state? You have been taught that some people believe that having sex with virgins will cure AIDS. Have you been harmed by this knowledge?
    Many a 6-month baby raped in Africa has... :rolleyes:
    There is more to religion than history.
    And your nearest church will be happy to explain the beliefs to the full. Church. Not school.
    Anything that involves observations and evidence to support a theory explaining those observations is science.
    So how does ID qualify then?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Anything that involves observations and evidence to support a theory explaining those observations is science.

No, not really, but never mind eh?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Did you bother reading it?
    Of course I read it. Don't insult my intelligence.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    II don't think anyone is teaching children any different.
    Well exactly. All forms of literature, art, food are offered and people take their pick.
    And just because evolution hasn't been proven beyond reproach it means you can teach children about any odd alternative... specially when it is very improbable and without foundation.

The only reason why some people want ID/Creationism to be taught to children is because it conforms with the religion of their choice, not because there is any evidence to support it as a plausible theory.
    Not true. Religion and intelligent design theories are not one and the same.

What other theories would you teach on the origin of humankind?
    Many a 6-month baby raped in Africa has... :rolleyes:
    What a ridiculous statement.

How were you harmed by hearing about that phenomenon?
    And your nearest church will be happy to explain the beliefs to the full. Church. Not school.
    Should art be confined to galleries? archaeology to museums? books to libraries?
    So how does ID qualify then?
    Ha ha.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    No, not really, but never mind eh?
    Do you want to contribute or just make a running commentary?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Well exactly. All forms of literature, art, food are offered and people take their pick.
    No. What I meant is that I don't think children are being taught that Evolution is absolutely proved without reproach. They are being taught is by far the most probable explanation for the origins of mankind and the world, and more to the point currently the only plausible one.

Incidentally, I'm positive children are also taught- in history at least- that man used to think God had created the earth and man and would accept no other explanation, before mankind became more advanced and civilised and science made its discoveries. So children will be aware of Creationism; it just won't be taught to them as fact or a plausible explanation for our existence- and rightly so.
    Not true. Religion and intelligent design theories are not one and the same.
    You could've fooled me.
    What other theories would you teach on the origin of humankind?
    Unless there are serious doubts about Evolution and there is another theory/belief that is plausible, why would you want to teach children anything else?

Should tell children that there is a possibility the centre of the earth is made of Belgian chocolate being continuously stirred by oompa loompas? Seeing as no one has seen what's in there, to teach children that the core is made of molten iron and not to offer the Belgian chocolate theory as an alternative is neither fair not beneficial for the education of the child, right?
    What a ridiculous statement.

How were you harmed by hearing about that phenomenon?
    That I weren't harmed is completely irrelevant. The fact is that people have been harmed by its existence.

And in any case, are you suggesting that so long as children are not harmed by it, can we teach them anywhere we please???

Should art be confined to galleries? archaeology to museums? books to libraries?
    Poor analogy. You're getting things rather mixed up.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That is fair enough. But have you ensured that your daughter is not brainwashed in any way without your permission or approval?

Will the school 'teach' her that evolution is rubbish and that the earth and all living creatures were created overnight (sorry, over six days) by a deity a few thousand years ago?

Will they 'teach' her there is a place called Hell where people who don't observe certain rules will be sent to suffer for all eternity?

Will they 'teach' her that there is something wrong with premarital sex?

Will they 'teach' her that there is something wrong with homosexuality?

Will they 'teach' her that abortion is "murder" and that should not be considered in any circumstances?

Will they 'teach' her that contraception is wrong and that the only object of sex is procreation?

I'd be very worried if I were you... unless you agree with all of the above.

Sorry took so long to reply but not been around anyways do you really 'think' that I am not going to teach her what I 'think' is right and wrong ?
    Do you really 'think' that she will grow up never knowing that me and her Dad lived together before we were married ?
    Do you really 'think' that when she gets older I wont be telling her about the abortion I had when I was younger ?
    Do you really 'think' that I am going to sit here and just let her get pregnant by not speaking to her about the pill etc ?

NO, you just seem to 'think' that because a child goes to catholic school they will be brainwashed in some kind of way. You forget to see the fact that she has a Mother and Father who will both influence her a lot more than school could ever do....in my opinion.
    You have this idea in your head that Cathlics are brainwashed blah blah, well tell me this then : Why is one of my good mates who has been brought up with a catholic education right through to secondary school so laid back ? she was pregnant before she was married, she actually got married when she was approx 3 months pregnant. She is the life and soul of the party and has numerous lesbian freinds. I could go on, but hopefully you get what im saying.

We are not back in the 60's you know, I think its time you woke up and gave your head a shake and realised that things have changed now and having a catholic education is nothing like it used to be.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Then why teach her religion when she goes there? You admit you are sending her because of superior teaching and not religious dogma, so you should have no issue here.

Your not really suggesting that they are a better school because they are catholic, are you? If that was the case, signing up to rome's favourite superstition should make you smarter. Does it? No. Then you are confusing two issues.

If she wasnt taught religion then id be making her feel excluded and segregated within her class. As a Mother would that be right of me ? The only thing she has been not allowed to do was 1st holy Communion, but she wasnt the only one as this school has a few non catholics.

Im not suggesting its a better school because its a catholic, its a school which I felt she would get a better education at and as far as im concerned her education is the priority here.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    No. What I meant is that I don't think children are being taught that Evolution is absolutely proved without reproach. They are being taught is by far the most probable explanation for the origins of mankind and the world, and more to the point currently the only plausible one.
    Actually I think you'll find that evolution is being taught as undisputed fact. I was never taught about intelligent design at school.
    Incidentally, I'm positive children are also taught- in history at least- that man used to think God had created the earth and man and would accept no other explanation, before mankind became more advanced and civilised and science made its discoveries. So children will be aware of Creationism; it just won't be taught to them as fact or a plausible explanation for our existence- and rightly so.
    Again, not true. When you say that "man used to think God had created the earth", what do you mean?
    You could've fooled me.
    I'm glad you're learning something.
    Unless there are serious doubts about Evolution and there is another theory/belief that is plausible, why would you want to teach children anything else?
    There are doubts about evolution and huge gaps in the theory that need explaining. If that were not so, there would be no need for this discussion.
    Should tell children that there is a possibility the centre of the earth is made of Belgian chocolate being continuously stirred by oompa loompas? Seeing as no one has seen what's in there, to teach children that the core is made of molten iron and not to offer the Belgian chocolate theory as an alternative is neither fair not beneficial for the education of the child, right?
    What evidence is there for the Belgian chocolate theory?
    That I weren't harmed is completely irrelevant. The fact is that people have been harmed by its existence.
    You miss the point. You have been told more than one theory about curing AIDS. You have been able to make your own conclusion based on your knowledge and understanding - you have not been warped in some way by hearing an alternative. You are talking about about harm caused in a situation where only one theory is taught.
    And in any case, are you suggesting that so long as children are not harmed by it, can we teach them anywhere we please???
    No, I'm countering your point that children are harmed by education.
    Poor analogy. You're getting things rather mixed up.
    Suit yourself. It strikes me that you are rather intolerant of religious belief in general, and creationism specifically. You're no better than the zealots of Alabama who ban the theory of evolution from the schoolbooks.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Actually I think you'll find that evolution is being taught as undisputed fact. I was never taught about intelligent design at school.
    Why should you have been taught about intelligent design at school?

You should also bear in mind that the word 'Theory', always present when talking about the Theory of Evolution (and certainly every schoolchild will have heard it) is a dead giveaway that it has not been proven beyond reproach- yet.
    Again, not true. When you say that "man used to think God had created the earth", what do you mean?
    :confused:
    Are you aware of a religious book called The Bible?

There are doubts about evolution and huge gaps in the theory that need explaining. If that were not so, there would be no need for this discussion.
    Not much need explaining, no. I'm sure it will with time as more discoveries are made. The fact remains that Evolution is about a thousand times more likely than the next best suggestion (therefore making it almost certainly the truth, and the only one worth teaching children), and that Creationism/intelligent design is so extremely improbable (or to be brutally honest, impossible and not true) it is really not worthy of a classroom. Not any more than the suggestion the earth is carried on the back of four elephants sitting on the shell of a giant turtle anyway.
    What evidence is there for the Belgian chocolate theory?
    What evidence is there for Creationism/ID?

As a matter of fact, what evidence there is for the existence of God?

You know, I find it breathtakingly funny that religious people see it as an appropriate form of defence to ask their opponents to supply extensive, undeniable and total proof of just about everything, when they themselves haven't been able to provide, in more than two millennia, of even the slightest trace of anything resembling evidence that there is a God, or that he is alive today, or that he is responsible for the creation of earth, man and the universe. Not one trace of evidence. Nothing whatsoever.

Why should anyone even consider entertaining your beliefs, in the classroom or anywhere else in life, when you have absolutely nothing whatsoever to back up your beliefs (and seeing as you are the first one to demand proof and evidence of anyone else)?
    You miss the point. You have been told more than one theory about curing AIDS. You have been able to make your own conclusion based on your knowledge and understanding - you have not been warped in some way by hearing an alternative. You are talking about harm caused in a situation where only one theory is taught.
    I think it's you who miss the point. One of them isn't a theory at all. It's utter rubbish.
    No, I'm countering your point that children are harmed by education.
    But of course they are! Do you think people are born homophobic, prune and bigoted?
    Suit yourself. It strikes me that you are rather intolerant of religious belief in general, and creationism specifically. You're no better than the zealots of Alabama who ban the theory of evolution from the schoolbooks.
    No. I'm intolerant of brainwashing children. If an adult chooses to believe in Creationism or anything else they please, fine by me. Just give the kids a chance to receive a good education eh? They can always adopt whichever beliefs they wish when they reach adulthood and can make an informed decision.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Sorry took so long to reply but not been around anyways do you really 'think' that I am not going to teach her what I 'think' is right and wrong ?
    Do you really 'think' that she will grow up never knowing that me and her Dad lived together before we were married ?
    Do you really 'think' that when she gets older I wont be telling her about the abortion I had when I was younger ?
    Do you really 'think' that I am going to sit here and just let her get pregnant by not speaking to her about the pill etc ?

NO, you just seem to 'think' that because a child goes to catholic school they will be brainwashed in some kind of way. You forget to see the fact that she has a Mother and Father who will both influence her a lot more than school could ever do....in my opinion.
    You have this idea in your head that Cathlics are brainwashed blah blah, well tell me this then : Why is one of my good mates who has been brought up with a catholic education right through to secondary school so laid back ? she was pregnant before she was married, she actually got married when she was approx 3 months pregnant. She is the life and soul of the party and has numerous lesbian freinds. I could go on, but hopefully you get what im saying.

We are not back in the 60's you know, I think its time you woke up and gave your head a shake and realised that things have changed now and having a catholic education is nothing like it used to be.
    Well I'm glad your daughter will receive a good education from you and your husband Becky... :thumb:

Obviously not your case but I fear for those children whose parents delegate all education matters to the child's religious school.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Why should you have been taught about intelligent design at school?
    Why should we teach children about evolution? Why should we teach them algebra, or ancient history, or French. Because it's useful information, and educates children in the ways of others and gives them skills to get on with different people.
    You should also bear in mind that the word 'Theory', always present when talking about the Theory of Evolution (and certainly every schoolchild will have heard it) is a dead giveaway that it has not been proven beyond reproach- yet.
    Just like people take the phrase "speed limit" literally? If no alternative is offered, what else can children assume but that evolution is the only possibility.
    :confused:
    Are you aware of a religious book called The Bible?
    It was the "used to" part I was questioning.
    Not much need explaining, no. I'm sure it will with time as more discoveries are made. The fact remains that Evolution is about a thousand times more likely than the next best suggestion (therefore making it almost certainly the truth, and the only one worth teaching children), and that Creationism/intelligent design is so extremely improbable (or to be brutally honest, impossible and not true) it is really not worthy of a classroom. Not any more than the suggestion the earth is carried on the back of four elephants sitting on the shell of a giant turtle anyway. What evidence is there for Creationism/ID?
    Like I say, it has become a 'diagnosis of exclusion'. If evolution isn't adequate to explain the development of humankind, there must be another explanation. That's why the creationists would spend a lot of time picking holes in evolutionary theory - those holes are even helpfully summarised for you in Richard Dawkins' article from the Guardian.
    As a matter of fact, what evidence there is for the existence of God?
    I don't really know what sort of answer would satisfy you, but spirituality is a universal human concept, and every culture on the globe will have some sort of god or idol that is worshipped. You can mock the lack of 'evidence', but it remains that many billions around the globe worship a god, and that is not because they have been "brainwashed" by attending a faith school.
    You know, I find it breathtakingly funny that religious people see it as an appropriate form of defence to ask their opponents to supply extensive, undeniable and total proof of just about everything, when they themselves haven't been able to provide, in more than two millennia, of even the slightest trace of anything resembling evidence that there is a God, or that he is alive today, or that he is responsible for the creation of earth, man and the universe. Not one trace of evidence. Nothing whatsoever. Why should anyone even consider entertaining your beliefs, in the classroom or anywhere else in life, when you have absolutely nothing whatsoever to back up your beliefs (and seeing as you are the first one to demand proof and evidence of anyone else)?
    You're one for historical aspects of religion - do you think Jesus, for example, existed and that his claims about being Son of God are historical fact, or modern fiction?
    I think it's you who miss the point. One of them isn't a theory at all. It's utter rubbish.
    Of course it's a theory. It attempts to explain how we came to be, just the same as evolution does.
    But of course they are! Do you think people are born homophobic, prune and bigoted?
    Do you think there are factors outside of school that have a stronger influence on such beliefs? Did you establish your spiritual beliefs at school?
    No. I'm intolerant of brainwashing children. If an adult chooses to believe in Creationism or anything else they please, fine by me. Just give the kids a chance to receive a good education eh? They can always adopt whichever beliefs they wish when they reach adulthood and can make an informed decision.
    Your ideas border on paranoia. You deny the ability of children to weigh up the arguments and that is an insult to teachers and pupils alike.

Do you make this argument about economic theory, or is it just your anti-religion views that dictate what you can investigate (and allow to be investigated)?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Why should we teach children about evolution? Why should we teach them algebra, or ancient history, or French. Because it's useful information, and educates children in the ways of others and gives them skills to get on with different people.
    How is ID useful to anyone?
    Just like people take the phrase "speed limit" literally? If no alternative is offered, what else can children assume but that evolution is the only possibility.
    Since you were saying either that education doesn't harm children, what exactly is the harm in children believing evolution is the only possibility? It's only logical to teach children the only plausible explanation if there is only one.

If one day in the future someone makes a discovery that disproves evolution and proves something else, we can all change our minds.
    It was the "used to" part I was questioning.
    Er... other than a few deeply religious people 'man' or even 'mankind' now knows that earth was formed as a perfectly natural geological process taking millions of years, instead of in 6 days by a deity.
    Like I say, it has become a 'diagnosis of exclusion'. If evolution isn't adequate to explain the development of humankind, there must be another explanation. That's why the creationists would spend a lot of time picking holes in evolutionary theory - those holes are even helpfully summarised for you in Richard Dawkins' article from the Guardian.
    Evolution seems perfectly adequate to explain the development of humankind to me. The creationists spend their time attempting to pick up holes out of desperation- seeing as they don't have a hope in hell of ever producing the tiniest trace of evidence to support their beliefs, they try the best next thing: to discredit the 'opposition'. Without much success, I should add...
    I don't really know what sort of answer would satisfy you, but spirituality is a universal human concept, and every culture on the globe will have some sort of god or idol that is worshipped. You can mock the lack of 'evidence', but it remains that many billions around the globe worship a god, and that is not because they have been "brainwashed" by attending a faith school.

You're one for historical aspects of religion - do you think Jesus, for example, existed and that his claims about being Son of God are historical fact, or modern fiction?
    So, basically, still no evidence whatsoever.

Of course it's a theory. It attempts to explain how we came to be, just the same as evolution does.
    But unfortunately it's based on nothing, cannot be supported or proved in anyway, it's not science, the possibilities of it being true are next to nil and therefore it has no place in the classroom.
    Do you think there are factors outside of school that have a stronger influence on such beliefs? Did you establish your spiritual beliefs at school?
    Either at school or at home, religious beliefs are almost invariably first absorbed during childhood and youth, yes.

If you somehow managed to raise 1,000 people in a completely isolated island and they had never even heard of 'God', let alone religious beliefs, and then those 1,000 people reached adulthood, moved here and were exposed to religious beliefs, how many of them do you think would take up religion?

My estimate is far below 1%. At the end of the day, it is a very, very far fetched proposition....

And that is exactly why some are so hellbent in exposing children to religious beliefs from an early age.
    Your ideas border on paranoia. You deny the ability of children to weigh up the arguments and that is an insult to teachers and pupils alike.

Do you make this argument about economic theory, or is it just your anti-religion views that dictate what you can investigate (and allow to be investigated)?
    Seeing that most of the scientific community and indeed many (I daresay a very clear majority) of parents are against the infiltration such religious mantra in science lessons, it is only you and a few others who appear to be concerned by children being denied the chance to "weigh up arguments".

Should we teach children the Nazi doctrine regarding race superiority at school and allow them to make their minds? Yes/no?

You might have heard of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. [Following paragraph's from today's Guardian:] The Flying Spaghetti Monster is a satirical 'religion' created by Bobby Henderson, a physics graduate of Oregon State University. He wrote to the Kansas Board of Education in June 2005, alerting them to the many people who believe that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe, and demanding that science lessons be split three-way: "One third time for intelligent design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence."

Henderson's point is that the concept of a Flying Spaghetti Monster is every bit as rational a concept as intelligent design. He has received sympathetic reponses from members of the board who also oppose intelligent design, as well as attracting overwhelming support from 'followers' all over the world.

So one last question for your Kentish: would you object to the Flying spaghetti Monster 'theory' being taught alongside Evolution and Intelligent Design in our schools? Yes/no?
  • Options
    Why teach them anything about the whole big issue stuff at all?

Show them where the library is and let them investigate for themselves.

It seems to me whichever method you choose to tell, or even if you tell them all you are providing explanations that you really don't need to. Christ knows enough kids can't do the basics to make such education a waste of resources.

Whichever you teach you are providing the lessons that authority and spirituality are things you are taught externally rather than things you are born with and develop as you go. Sounds dangerous to me.

Of course it does fit with the "get you to stop thinking" method of education which the "state" favours.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Should we teach children the Nazi doctrine regarding race superiority at school and allow them to make their minds? Yes/no?

So one last question for your Kentish: would you object to the Flying spaghetti Monster 'theory' being taught alongside Evolution and Intelligent Design in our schools? Yes/no?
    Seeing as this is basically the crux of the matter I shall try one last time to make my argument.

Schools should be allowed to teach the idea of intelligent design because:
    1. A lot of people believe it, religious or not
    2. It is being investigated scientifically and provides an alternative to evolutionary theory, which is accepted to have flaws
    3. There is genuine evidence to support some of the biblical accounts of creation

The facts of Nazism should be taught in school, of course. As should the Flying Spagetti Monster theory because it is a typical tactic used by the pro-evolutionists to discredit and scoff at intelligent design theorists. Of course there is no basis for the Flying Spagetti Monster, so it couldn't be taught as a theory, just an interesting aside.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Schools should be allowed to teach the idea of intelligent design because:
    1. A lot of people believe it, religious or not
    That is an absolutely appalling 'reason' why should anything be taught or not. Appalling.
    2. It is being investigated scientifically and provides an alternative to evolutionary theory, which is accepted to have flaws
    However the 'scientific' investigation has shed no evidence whatsoever to sustain the belief (and mark my words, it will find none) and at the end of the day the alternative in question is still piss-poor and with no more merits than the aforementioned Flying Spaghetti Monster 'theory'.

One fact remains that you continue to ignore: Evolution is still infinitely more plausible than anything else on the planet, be Creationism, ID, spaghetti monsters or Terry Pratchett novels. Just because Evolution has 'flaws' (or rather, still-unexplained facts) does not mean we should allow anyone with a political or religious axe to grind to elbow in their theory or belief. Evolution stands alone as the only plausible, scientifically backed theory. And as such it should remain the only theory taught to children at schools.
    3. There is genuine evidence to support some of the biblical accounts of creation
    Not exactly, no. Like any other religious text, the Bible contains tales and stories based on historical facts (the proverbial Flood being a prime example of this). But we know today that the planet and the species within were created in a completely different way and timeframe as described in the Bible.
    The facts of Nazism should be taught in school, of course. As should the Flying Spagetti Monster theory because it is a typical tactic used by the pro-evolutionists to discredit and scoff at intelligent design theorists. Of course there is no basis for the Flying Spagetti Monster, so it couldn't be taught as a theory, just an interesting aside.
    Frankly I don't see any difference between Creationism/ID and the Flying Spaghetti Monster, other than the former have been around for longer and count with more supporters. But in the way of scientific evidence, it's neck and neck between the two.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That is an absolutely appalling 'reason' why should anything be taught or not. Appalling.
    But why?
    However the 'scientific' investigation has shed no evidence whatsoever to sustain the belief (and mark my words, it will find none) and at the end of the day the alternative in question is still piss-poor and with no more merits than the aforementioned Flying Spaghetti Monster 'theory'.

One fact remains that you continue to ignore: Evolution is still infinitely more plausible than anything else on the planet, be Creationism, ID, spaghetti monsters or Terry Pratchett novels. Just because Evolution has 'flaws' (or rather, still-unexplained facts) does not mean we should allow anyone with a political or religious axe to grind to elbow in their theory or belief. Evolution stands alone as the only plausible, scientifically backed theory. And as such it should remain the only theory taught to children at schools.
    Talking of axes to grind, I think it is your axe that is stifling debate rather than the axe of creationists that harm children.
    Not exactly, no. Like any other religious text, the Bible contains tales and stories based on historical facts (the proverbial Flood being a prime example of this). But we know today that the planet and the species within were created in a completely different way and timeframe as described in the Bible.
    Forget the flood for a minute. The fact that Genesis describes the order of creation being the same as that proposed by evolutionists should allow any enquiring mind to take that seriously. It's easy to dismiss it, but if you are a true evolutionist, you must take every piece of supporting evidence and allow for it.
    Frankly I don't see any difference between Creationism/ID and the Flying Spaghetti Monster, other than the former have been around for longer and count with more supporters. But in the way of scientific evidence, it's neck and neck between the two.
    No, it simply isn't. Don't be silly.
  • Options
    Moreover, I'm not suggesting that intelligent design be included in biology lessons in the traditional sense. The evidence for and against Darwinian evolution should be included.

Intelligent design theories and creationism should continue to be taught in religious studies classes though.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Moreover, I'm not suggesting that intelligent design be included in biology lessons in the traditional sense. The evidence for and against Darwinian evolution should be included.

Intelligent design theories and creationism should continue to be taught in religious studies classes though.

Then why have you been arguing that intelligent design is a legitimate scientific alternative to evolution? Even if this wasn't your intention, many particularly in America, are trying to get intelligent design taught in science classes.

Let me ask you this? Do you ever wonder why they don't campaign for it to be taught in university biology courses? It's because they know that the proposal would be laughed out of the building. But if they can get enough parents, with their more limited scientific knowledge (most of them), to agree then the campaigners can squeeze their religious beliefs into our children's science classes.

If intelligent design can be taught in science lessons, then why not astrology, or the existance of ghosts? After all plenty of people believe in them.

I don't think anyone has a problem with creationism being taught in religion classes as a religious theory, but it has no place in the science classroom, because it has no basis in science.

On the main question of faith schools, I went to a Roman Catholic primary and secondary school, and I have to say that it's not the brainwashing faculty that many seem to think it is. It's just having to say amen every now and then, and saying a prayer at assemblies. They still have to follow the curriculum, and that includes evolution.

I have to say the sex education was a bit lacking. They just taught the actual biology of it, without going into relationships or contriception. In fact, they didn't promote abstinance or even mention homosexuality etc. Despite what some think, the teachers are not all devout conservative christians, out to promote thier own point of view.

The main problem I see with faith schools, though, is that in an area where religious boundaries exist (Northern Ireland etc.), it creates even more barriers between the two groups. I think mixed faith schools would promote integration and understanding between the groups, whereas separating the groups will just fuel ignorance. This is especially important now with the current perceptions of Islam among certain groups (not helped by some aspects of the media, I might add).

At the end of the day, I think most parents just want the best quality schools, which is more important than what 'faith' the school belongs to, since this can be taught and practiced at home on an individual basis.
  • Options
    Then why have you been arguing that intelligent design is a legitimate scientific alternative to evolution? Even if this wasn't your intention, many particularly in America, are trying to get intelligent design taught in science classes.

Let me ask you this? Do you ever wonder why they don't campaign for it to be taught in university biology courses? It's because they know that the proposal would be laughed out of the building. But if they can get enough parents, with their more limited scientific knowledge (most of them), to agree then the campaigners can squeeze their religious beliefs into our children's science classes.
    No, I was arguing for the inclusion of the evidence for and against evolution being taught at school. It just so happens that the evidence against evolution indirectly supports intelligent design, but that is not a subject of science. The research carried out by intelligent design theorists is science though, and thus should be taught as such.
  • Options
    It isn't science though. Science is about using proper scientific process to determine the truth. The only purpose of the "science" you talk about, is to prove that evolution is incorrect. In the case of intelligent design, the theory came first, and the 'scientists' then only accepted evidence that backed up their claim. It is by definition a pseudo-science. Evolution on the other hand is a result of a huge number of studies from different fields all pointing towards one possible theory. Do you think that the discovery of DNA was published, just because it made the case for evolution stronger? No, it's because it's the truth, and just happened to strengthen the case for evolution. That's the difference. Real science doesn't reject evidence that causes a problem for it's theory. And it's never afraid to change the 'accepted' view if new evidence becomes available.

As for the teaching of it in schools, science is always taught as an ever changing subject, where new discoveries are constantly being made. I don't think a teacher has ever been afraid to say "we don't know this yet," but that's no excuse to teach alternative theories which do not have their basis in science.

You still haven't answered my question though. If this debate has any merit whatsoever, why is it not being held in relation to universities as well?
  • Options
    Again, you underestimate the theory. There is scientific research to question evolutionary theory, which therefore indirectly supports another theory (e.g. intelligent design). That research shouldn't be hushed up or censored just because it is inconvenient for evolutionists.

As for universities, I would imagine that all the evidence is assessed but I've never studied biology or geology at degree level, so you're asking the wrong person.
  • Options
    ID isn't a scientific theory.

Why?

Because it doesn't lead to any experimentation or allow you to predict anything based on future evidence. Evolution is a scientific theory, because you can create experiments using it - fruit fly mutation being one that springs to mind.

It's also not a scientific theory because it has untestale elements.

In order for a theory to be scientific, there has to be reproducable experimentation and physical evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method
    Scientific methods are means used by scientific communities for building supportable, evidence-based understandings of our natural world.

ID is none of these.
    "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man or even for any one age. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty, and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things."

Newton.

Have a scientific theory - all previous theories have been overturned by new evidence and understanding. So will the ones we have now. Including this one. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Now you're getting on to the difference between micro- and macro-evolution.

I honestly don't know why you're still trying to make the argument that something that cannot be proved can't be science.
  • Options
    Now you're getting on to the difference between micro- and macro-evolution.

Nope. I am pointing out why evolution is a scientific theory and ID isn't. Personally I think evolution is bullshit. I've outlined the reasons why earlier in the thread - it's still a scientific theory, while ID isn't and neither is the monster theory.
    I honestly don't know why you're still trying to make the argument that something that cannot be proved can't be science.

Atomic theory is unproven. It's still a scientific theory because it allows useful, constructive experimentation and workable models to make bombs and power your house. It's also a scientific theory because it allows you to predicate the future based on the past.

ID can't do any of these. Even if you were to bend the rules to include it as "science" then it's still a pointless waste of mental energy and time because it's of no use whatsoever. Unless you have an emotional need to support with it, of course. It's still useless in and of itself.
  • Options
    I disagree.
  • Options
    I disagree.

Which bit?
  • Options
    Your personal definition of science.
  • Options
    Your personal definition of science.

I used Wiki's.

"The essential elements of a scientific method are iterations and recursions of the following four steps:

Characterization (Quantification, observation and measurement)
    Hypothesis (a theoretical, hypothetical explanation of the observations and measurements)
    Prediction (logical deduction from the hypothesis)
    Experiment (test of all of the above) "

I provided a link. If your personal definition of science doesn't tally with everyone else's I have no quarrel with that. You are going to be frightfully misunderstood though and most are going to see you as incorrect.
  • Options
    With the greatest of respect klintock, I think using Wikipedia to provide a convenient definition which you then use as part of your argument is just lazy. Blagsta did the same when arguing against a global flood. It's meaningless.

I think this thread has reached a natural conclusion.
    And besides, I have a birthday to celebrate/sorrows to drown
This discussion has been closed.