Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Faith school controversy

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    We obviously read it differently. I see a reasoned explanation of why 'intelligent design' has about as much to do with science as beans on toast. It goes on to to point out what constitutes science, and what is simply wishful thinking and beliefs masquerading as something else.
  • Options
    one is an adamant creationist ...based on the facts ...another is an ardent accidental everything evolusionist based on a lot of wishful thinking.
    ?

For you.........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1559743,00.html

I recommend everyone read this article actually, it is very good...........
  • Options
    the double standards worry me.
    some people attacking the state in some threads for taking away our freedoms but in threads like this one ...always shouting and screaming about how the state knows best.

I feel I should defend myself......... :D

a) the issues have nothing to do with eachother so it ain't double standards.

b) no-one said the state knows best, I personally said that there needs to be a balance.

c) The point I have bee trying to make is simply that it should not be entirtely up to a parent how their kid is educated.

if you do not beleive their are bad parent who, if left to their own devices would seriously mess up their children then you are simply wrong....

if you can't see the benefit of promoting a proper education then there is no popint talking about it............
  • Options
    Hmmmmmm

Should catch up on the thread first

Way ahead of me Aladdin...........................
  • Options
    read it a couple of weeks back.
    doesn't actualy add anything at all to the evolusionists argument.
    theres nothing scientific in the piece at alll ...just a very frustrated attack on inteligent design ....goodnight.

How do you deal with the point that no 'intelligent design' research is ever published in scientific journals.....

If a theory is published and peer reviewed in proper academic literature than it is not science.....

Simple.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    One look at a newspaper any other day of the year should make you rethink that...
    What are you getting at?
    Not always, no. When talking about planet-wise floods and arks full of animals or an entire species created overnight and descended from a single couple (two name but just two such instances), you can be entirely sure that 'facts' are not involved in any way in such claims.
    There is geological evidence of global floods.

Surely if intelligent design is the theory, timeframe is simply irrelevant?

So Adam and Eve are ridiculous, whereas evolution from primordial slime and eventually from apes (give or take the missing link) is perfectly logical?

No one has mentioned facts - just theories based on observations - is that not Science?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What are you getting at?
    That given the promiscuous nature and high number of unwanted pregnancies amongst young teenagers in this country, we need to prop up the sex education they receive.

Surely if intelligent design is the theory, timeframe is simply irrelevant?
    Is there really?

The Flood referred to in the Bible was no global by any means- at most affected parts of the Middle East. But even if there had been global floods millions of years ago, and even if man had been around to remember them and pass the story for thousands of generations, the main issue is not that. The main issue is the breathtakingly absurd claim that the land animals that exist today are the descendants of a pair that was put into a boat by a man acting on the orders of a deity to save said animals from drowning.

I really hope you will not be wanting to discuss the plausibility or 'science' behind such incredibly silly tale...

So Adam and Eve are ridiculous, whereas evolution from primordial slime and eventually from apes (give or take the missing link) is perfectly logical?
    Yes. Is it that puzzling? :confused:
    No one has mentioned facts - just theories based on observations - is that not Science?
    Science is based in study, research, in intelligent deductions, and backed up by millions of manhours of work and pieces of evidence whenever possible.

Religion on the other hand relies in little else than word of mouth, old wives tales, superstitions and a necessity to 'have faith' in what one is told 'just because'.

The two can't possibly be compared.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That given the promiscuous nature and high number of unwanted pregnancies amongst young teenagers in this country, we need to prop up the sex education they receive.
    We've never lived in more liberal times. I think you have no grasp on the situation if you think it will be solved by more of the current sex education. Even in Uganda, where HIV is rampant, they know that they can never stop people having sex. We're programmed to do so, and once started there's no stopping. That's the whole idea behind abstinence education - to delay the first sexual experience to an age at which young people will be adequately mature to know what they want and what they are doing.
    Is there really?
    Yes.
    The Flood referred to in the Bible was no global by any means- at most affected parts of the Middle East. But even if there had been global floods millions of years ago, and even if man had been around to remember them and pass the story for thousands of generations, the main issue is not that. The main issue is the breathtakingly absurd claim that the land animals that exist today are the descendants of a pair that was put into a boat by a man acting on the orders of a deity to save said animals from drowning.
    If you can tolerate Noah and the Ark being a philosophical concept, will you accept the evidence of a global flood or not?
    I really hope you will not be wanting to discuss the plausibility or 'science' behind such incredibly silly tale...
    You want to stifle debate in order to get what you want into the school curriculum? You sound an awful lot like those "fundies" that you purport to oppose.
    Yes. Is it that puzzling? :confused:
    Both pretty abstract concepts to us though. What makes one idea so much more bizarre? If you are a serious evolutionist you will be aware that the slow progressive speciation would require a small number of early humans that have become us homo sapiens. Same difference.
    Science is based in study, research, in intelligent deductions, and backed up by millions of manhours of work and pieces of evidence whenever possible.

Religion on the other hand relies in little else than word of mouth, old wives tales, superstitions and a necessity to 'have faith' in what one is told 'just because'.

The two can't possibly be compared.
    I won't have a science v. religion argument with you, because that would indeed be comparing apples and oranges.

But I will discuss two scientifically researched theories for the state of life on earth.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    We've never lived in more liberal times. I think you have no grasp on the situation if you think it will be solved by more of the current sex education. Even in Uganda, where HIV is rampant, they know that they can never stop people having sex. We're programmed to do so, and once started there's no stopping. That's the whole idea behind abstinence education - to delay the first sexual experience to an age at which young people will be adequately mature to know what they want and what they are doing.
    Seeing as the rest of Europe has both better sex education and a much better record regarding unwanted pregnancies and STDs amongst youngsters, I more (and better) sexual education is just what is needed.

You are right that you can never stop people having sex. That's why abstinence (though a more accurate term would be 'denial of existence') education is both pointless and doomed to failure.
    Yes.
    Care to provide a link then? For an unbeliever like me who has no faith and require proof, like...
    If you can tolerate Noah and the Ark being a philosophical concept, will you accept the evidence of a global flood or not?
    But what are we discussing here? I thought we were discussing whether teaching religious tales as facts or describing them as science is right. I make no distinction between the tale of Noah and the Ark, and the tale of the Creation of Earth and Mankind by a deity. And nor do religious schools happy to teach children the earth and the creatures within it were created overnight by a superior power, I should think.
    You want to stifle debate in order to get what you want into the school curriculum? You sound an awful lot like those "fundies" that you purport to oppose.
    Er no, I simply want children not be taught things that are, at best, highly dubious if not outright rubbish. You may think that a child being brainwashed into believing the incident of Noah's Ark and the Flood and the animals saved from drowning really happened would not harm the child at the end of the day. But that is not the point at all. Children have a right to a proper and sensible education and not to be programmed in such ways.
    Both pretty abstract concepts to us though. What makes one idea so much more bizarre? If you are a serious evolutionist you will be aware that the slow progressive speciation would require a small number of early humans that have become us homo sapiens. Same difference.
    Not quite the same difference as suggesting the entire mankind was descended from a single couple created in an instant. Couldn't be more different if you tried.
    I won't have a science v. religion argument with you, because that would indeed be comparing apples and oranges.

But I will discuss two scientifically researched theories for the state of life on earth.
    Please show me some scientific research that supports creationism or 'intelligent design', because to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever seen it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Seeing as the rest of Europe has both better sex education and a much better record regarding unwanted pregnancies and STDs amongst youngsters, I more (and better) sexual education is just what is needed.
    Oh right. You actually don't have a grasp on the issue.
    You are right that you can never stop people having sex. That's why abstinence (though a more accurate term would be 'denial of existence') education is both pointless and doomed to failure.
    Hmmm. Seeing as I mentioned Uganda, why not find out a bit about their ABC programme - you might be enlightened.

This is not to say that abstinence-only education is the solution, of course. There is no evidence to suggest that that reduces teenage (unwanted) pregnancies or STI spread, and there is some evidence from parts of the US that suggest an increased incidence of STI with such programmes.
    Care to provide a link then? For an unbeliever like me who has no faith and require proof, like...
    :rolleyes:
    Why should I bother if you're not even willing to critique it as a scientific theory?
    But what are we discussing here? I thought we were discussing whether teaching religious tales as facts or describing them as science is right. I make no distinction between the tale of Noah and the Ark, and the tale of the Creation of Earth and Mankind by a deity. And nor do religious schools happy to teach children the earth and the creatures within it were created overnight by a superior power, I should think.
    Just for a minute, imagine that we're not talking about religion. Imagine, if you will, that we are talking about two ideas about the state of life on the planet earth.
    Er no, I simply want children not be taught things that are, at best, highly dubious if not outright rubbish. You may think that a child being brainwashed into believing the incident of Noah's Ark and the Flood and the animals saved from drowning really happened would not harm the child at the end of the day. But that is not the point at all. Children have a right to a proper and sensible education and not to be programmed in such ways.
    You don't want kids taught about things that are highly dubious? You want to censor the textbooks to exclude everything you disagree with?

You call it 'brainwashing', which is an emotive word that demands agreement with whatever you go on to say. Do you think being told such stories that children are somehow harmed; that this so-called brainwashing is limiting knowledge of the 'real' answer to this question of the origin of humanity?
    Not quite the same difference as suggesting the entire mankind was descended from a single couple created in an instant. Couldn't be more different if you tried.
    So it's just a timeframe issue for you? :confused:
    Please show me some scientific research that supports creationism or 'intelligent design', because to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever seen it.
    Type 'intelligent design' into the Nature website - I can't post a link cos you'd have to pay to read the bloomin' thing.

There is ongoing research and published, peer-reviewed papers. Despite the 'brainwashing' of Richard Dawkins et al in The Guardian, you can't deny it's existence. ;)
  • Options
    belief in God doesn't neccessarily mean that you don't believe in evolution. I'm quite happy to believe that Genesis is metaphorical, but that God guided evolution from the primoridal slime, through dinosaurs and neanderthals and onto man.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    belief in God doesn't neccessarily mean that you don't believe in evolution. I'm quite happy to believe that Genesis is metaphorical, but that God guided evolution from the primoridal slime, through dinosaurs and neanderthals and onto man.
    Exactly. And vice versa.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Oh right. You actually don't have a grasp on the issue.
    And you sound alarmingly like Peter Hitchens on the issue
    Hmmm. Seeing as I mentioned Uganda, why not find out a bit about their ABC programme - you might be enlightened.
    Seeing as I mentioned Europe- infinitely closer to the British model than Uganda could ever be- you could perhaps learn a bit about their own approach.
    :rolleyes:
    Why should I bother if you're not even willing to critique it as a scientific theory?
    Because if you present me with a reliable scientific source that tells me that there once were global floods I'd had little reason to doubt it.

But I must say I have never heard of such event. Are you sure you're not mixing it up with the planet initially being completely covered by water, rather than the whole of the earth's land mass being under several feet of rain?
    Just for a minute, imagine that we're not talking about religion. Imagine, if you will, that we are talking about two ideas about the state of life on the planet earth.
    If both said ideas had a similar weight and plausibility and scientific evidence behind them, then students could learn about both.

But that is not the case is it? If we are to 'teach' children Creationism solely on the basis that some people on this planet happen to believe in certain unfounded stories and tales, can we teach them as well that the world sits on the back of four elephants carried across the Universe by a giant turtle, as told by the prophet Pratchett?
    You don't want kids taught about things that are highly dubious? You want to censor the textbooks to exclude everything you disagree with?
    Er... no. Just things that are 'highly dubious'. Why would anyone want their kids to be taught things that aren't true???
    You call it 'brainwashing', which is an emotive word that demands agreement with whatever you go on to say. Do you think being told such stories that children are somehow harmed; that this so-called brainwashing is limiting knowledge of the 'real' answer to this question of the origin of humanity?
    With regard to being harmed: the belief that the earth was created by a deity would not strictly speaking harm a child (even though it is still not quite right to teach children something that is at best highly dubious as fact, I hope you will agree). But unfortunately it doesn't stop at that does it? People who have been brainwashed into that have also being brainwashed into believing other things, things that have definitely harmed them and others. Such as that the very same God that had created mankind has a problem with premarital sex, contraception or of course homosexuality. I'm sure you will realise how many millions of lives have been ruined, if not 'terminated' by homophobic prejudice alone.

With regard to limiting knowledge to the real answer to questions? Well, you only need to take a look at places like America (where around 40% of adults are said to believe in Creationism only and where undetermined numbers also believe sex out of wedlock or same-sex relations are wrong because God is apparently against them) to realise that such religious teachings can indeed impair the mind and close it to anything other than the mantra it has been forced into it at an early age.
    So it's just a timeframe issue for you? :confused:

Type 'intelligent design' into the Nature website - I can't post a link cos you'd have to pay to read the bloomin' thing.

There is ongoing research and published, peer-reviewed papers. Despite the 'brainwashing' of Richard Dawkins et al in The Guardian, you can't deny it's existence. ;)
    99.99% of all sites talking about intelligent design amount to nothing else than biased drivel I'm afraid.

And as for the rest, I'm not aware of a single issue or question put forward by the Creationists that cannot be rebutted or explained. I must say I find the whole concept rather bizarre. ‘‘This seems so grandiose the only explanation for it’s existence is that it has to be work of God’’. The same thing has been said for thousands of years about many a thing, from solar eclipses to earthquakes. It doesn’t sound as terribly scientific to me, just wishful (and comforting) thinking.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And you sound alarmingly like Peter Hitchens on the issue
    I've never discussed it with the man, but I don't think you offer that as a compliment. I honestly doubt I share many views with Peter Hitchens.
    Seeing as I mentioned Europe- infinitely closer to the British model than Uganda could ever be- you could perhaps learn a bit about their own approach.
    Go on then, give me your solution. And keep it sociologically relevant to the UK.
    Because if you present me with a reliable scientific source that tells me that there once were global floods I'd had little reason to doubt it.

But I must say I have never heard of such event. Are you sure you're not mixing it up with the planet initially being completely covered by water, rather than the whole of the earth's land mass being under several feet of rain?
    Forgive my denseness...what's the difference between the two?

There is geology to prove that high mountains were once underwater and if you belief in the theory of global warming, you may understand how water levels can rise rapidly, and imagine how - without the help of satellite imagery and high tech computing - the subsequent flooding may be blamed on excess rain.
    If both said ideas had a similar weight and plausibility and scientific evidence behind them, then students could learn about both.

But that is not the case is it?
    Why should both theories have the same "weight and plausibility" in order to be discussed and taught as theories at school? As for scientific evidence, you know as well as I do that that depends on your definition of science and the logical development of observations into a coherent theory.
    If we are to 'teach' children Creationism solely on the basis that some people on this planet happen to believe in certain unfounded stories and tales, can we teach them as well that the world sits on the back of four elephants carried across the Universe by a giant turtle, as told by the prophet Pratchett?
    If millions people across the world believe that the world is sitting on elephants and a turtle then children should be aware of that, yes. I know you find it difficult to understand how people can believe in creationism or even intelligent design, but your own scepticism of that particular theory is not reason enough to exclude it from the syllabus.
    Er... no. Just things that are 'highly dubious'. Why would anyone want their kids to be taught things that aren't true???
    Untrue or dubious? Do be clear about what you mean here.
    With regard to being harmed: the belief that the earth was created by a deity would not strictly speaking harm a child (even though it is still not quite right to teach children something that is at best highly dubious as fact, I hope you will agree). But unfortunately it doesn't stop at that does it? People who have been brainwashed into that have also being brainwashed into believing other things, things that have definitely harmed them and others. Such as that the very same God that had created mankind has a problem with premarital sex, contraception or of course homosexuality. I'm sure you will realise how many millions of lives have been ruined, if not 'terminated' by homophobic prejudice alone.
    Millions? Your use of hyperbole is impressive but it's the same old point. You're digressing from the issue at hand into a lot of religious stuff that is simply irrelevant. Intelligent Design is a theory quite separate from the Christian Church that you are most outspoken in condemning for the world's woes.

But to answer the points - no one is harmed through abstaining from premarital sex; contraception is freely available in this country (although, granted, frowned upon by the Roman Catholic Church); homophobia is not exclusively associated with the church and it is unacceptable to suggest that it is.
    With regard to limiting knowledge to the real answer to questions? Well, you only need to take a look at places like America (where around 40% of adults are said to believe in Creationism only and where undetermined numbers also believe sex out of wedlock or same-sex relations are wrong because God is apparently against them) to realise that such religious teachings can indeed impair the mind and close it to anything other than the mantra it has been forced into it at an early age.
    You are fond of picking out faults in America and Americans. But that isn't our concern. The thread is about faith schools in the UK, and if you are suggesting that hearing about controversial as well as more established scientific theories whilst at school (e.g. Intelligent design and Darwinian evolution) somehow leads to a 'closed mind' then you are simply wrong. Should we not have been told about Thomson's "Plum Pudding" model of the atom at school despite now knowing it to be false? Should we pick the wave or the particle theory of electrons? Which has more evidence?
    And as for the rest, I'm not aware of a single issue or question put forward by the Creationists that cannot be rebutted or explained. I must say I find the whole concept rather bizarre. ‘‘This seems so grandiose the only explanation for it’s existence is that it has to be work of God’’. The same thing has been said for thousands of years about many a thing, from solar eclipses to earthquakes. It doesn’t sound as terribly scientific to me, just wishful (and comforting) thinking.
    You misunderstand and underestimate the theory then. Have a read.
  • Options
    There is geology to prove that high mountains were once underwater

No, there isn't. The rocks that were once on the bottom of the sea bed are now at the top of mountains. They know this because of observation of the fossil record as I recall. It's one of the reasons we know about continental drift, mountain formation and why the oceans don't grow more salty with time.

Mankind isn't old enough to have witnessed the splitting of pangea into it's modern continents and that happened so slowly as to be undeterminable by humans even if they were there. Unless we used to be near immortals or something, of course.
    If millions people across the world believe that the world is sitting on elephants and a turtle then children should be aware of that, yes.

Yep. I agree with this. It should be taught as a belief though, not as a fact. It should also be joined with the other rubbish - that there are "nations" and "countries" etc. A much more dangerous cult, because it's so big that most people can't see it at all.
  • Options
    Simple answer to intelligent design..............

If life is so complex that it must have required a designer (the basis of the theory)

Then where did the designer come form seeing as it would have to have been as laest as complex as that it was creating?

:chin:
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Go on then, give me your solution. And keep it sociologically relevant to the UK.
    Better sex education and a whole lot more emphasis on the use of contraception and morning after pill, without the right wing gutter press and the usual suspects throwing tantrums about it and trying to block such moves.

That sure would be a start.
    Forgive my denseness...what's the difference between the two?

Flood: An overflowing of water onto land that is normally dry.

You cannot 'flood' something that is already covered in water can you?

The event described in the Bible refers to the entire world, by then already containing the continental mass and land animal species including man, become covered in water by the means of flooding through 40 days and nights of continues rain, as a way of punishment from God for man's wicked ways.

An entirely different proposition from the earth initially being covered in water, when no land, and certainly no man could exist to witness it (or to be killed by God).
    Why should both theories have the same "weight and plausibility" in order to be discussed and taught as theories at school?
    Because we're trying to educate children.
    If millions people across the world believe that the world is sitting on elephants and a turtle then children should be aware of that, yes.
    Ah, but why would they believe that? Because they were told the story as children. There would be no other reason whatsoever. No proof, no evidence, no theory, no indication, no real possibility whatsoever of it really being true.

You know having sex with a virgin doesn't cure AIDS. I know the same. But if those people in Southern Africa who do believe such nonsense one day became a global dominance force and eventually taught that nonsense to everyone else, should we advocate teaching it in schools, seeing as enough people now believed in it?
    Untrue or dubious? Do be clear about what you mean here.
    I was being polite Kentish, but yes you are right. Time to call a spade a spade. It's untrue. It's, simply, bollocks. I shouldn't need to be polite on these issues, seeing as believers have never had any problem making statements that they are right and everyone else is wrong- and until very recently, killing said unbelievers in rather nasty ways.
    Millions? Your use of hyperbole is impressive but it's the same old point. You're digressing from the issue at hand into a lot of religious stuff that is simply irrelevant. Intelligent Design is a theory quite separate from the Christian Church that you are most outspoken in condemning for the world's woes.
    Are you denying that millions of people through recent history have been persecuted, prejudiced and in many cases imprisoned, tortured or killed as a result of their sexual orientation? And that in the immense majority of cases such persecution derived directly from religious beliefs that God does not approve of homosexuality?
    But to answer the points - no one is harmed through abstaining from premarital sex; contraception is freely available in this country (although, granted, frowned upon by the Roman Catholic Church); homophobia is not exclusively associated with the church and it is unacceptable to suggest that it is.
    Many people who should have had sex before their marriage- just to realise that they were not made for each other- have not, and ended up living unfulfilling marriages and lives. Many gay people brought up religiously have led tortured, awful and fake lives because their upbringing and brainwashing have prevented them from coming out of guilt. Etc etc ad infinitum.

No, of course Religion does not have an exclusive reign in homophobia. But it has been and still is its biggest sponsor.
    You are fond of picking out faults in America and Americans. But that isn't our concern. The thread is about faith schools in the UK, and if you are suggesting that hearing about controversial as well as more established scientific theories whilst at school (e.g. Intelligent design and Darwinian evolution) somehow leads to a 'closed mind' then you are simply wrong. Should we not have been told about Thomson's "Plum Pudding" model of the atom at school despite now knowing it to be false? Should we pick the wave or the particle theory of electrons? Which has more evidence?
    You keep ignoring the fact that intelligent design is not a science of any kind and simply has no place in a school classroom. Intelligent design is nothing more than Creationism window dressed for the 21st century.
  • Options
    Oh and even if you showed that evolution was wrong, that in no way means intelligent design is right......

How the hell can you prove intelligent design, scientifically?

I defy you to think of a way...........
  • Options
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v431/n7005/full/431114a_fs.html

Here is the amzing science behind the theory..........

One paper, in a low ranking journal

:eek:

and accepted by a possibly biased editor, good shit guys.......... :rolleyes:

and to top it all off it is not a paper supporting intellignet desing, it is arguing that evolution is wrong, the two are not the same..............

If you cannot admit that people support this 'scientific' theory because they have religious motivation then you are deluded............
  • Options
    Hell, let's get creative.

It's all down to DNA. There is no evolution, it's all intelligent design. By our DNA. It knows what it's doing, it communicates between itself on a cellular level and decides to make certain types of people, animals etc according to it's grand plans (whatever they are).

Evolution is pretty simple to disprove. Look at it this way -

All I have is glasses of water. One day a glass of whiskey arrives by "mutation". The whiskey is then mixed half and half with a glass of water. We then do it again. And again. And again. Finally we will have many many glasses of very weak whiskey and water mixture.

Inherited traits grow weaker with time, unless there is some force at work picking and choosing traits to have and introducing more and more whiskey to our mix. So it's got to be DNA.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Hell, let's get creative.

It's all down to DNA. There is no evolution, it's all intelligent design. By our DNA. It knows what it's doing, it communicates between itself on a cellular level and decides to make certain types of people, animals etc according to it's grand plans (whatever they are).

Evolution is pretty simple to disprove. Look at it this way -

All I have is glasses of water. One day a glass of whiskey arrives by "mutation". The whiskey is then mixed half and half with a glass of water. We then do it again. And again. And again. Finally we will have many many glasses of very weak whiskey and water mixture.

Inherited traits grow weaker with time, unless there is some force at work picking and choosing traits to have and introducing more and more whiskey to our mix. So it's got to be DNA.

i agree with the mixing etc causing 'weaker' traits but on the mutations

it could just be a random process as well determined by probability and the environment

ID isnt actually a theory since it doesnt try to prove by any observable features or side effects, its just a statement using the fact its CURRENTLY un-disprovable
  • Options
    ID isnt actually a theory since it doesnt try to prove by any observable features or side effects, its just a statement using the fact its CURRENTLY un-disprovable

Yep I agree. I was just raising the whole "who's doing the designing" issue, because even if ID was proved to be true, it doesn't mean that it's god doing the designing. :)

Lots of scientific theories have been debunked but are still in vogue for their usefulness. Some, like the early ideas about electricity are still in vogue because of the fact that even while wrong, they let electricians put lights in your house and are useful.

The discovery of relativity should have a complete re-writing of chemistry due to "chemicals" actually all being made of the same stuff but having relative properties to each other as well as different structure. The current thinking worked well enough to make toothpaste and dynamite consistently so was left alone.

Others are still there because of education lag, or because of debate between experts within the field. Paleontology has many many of these battles over theory as an example, often on quite big issues - big impact or disease causing dinosaurs to die off is still relatively undecided as an example.

And then we have theories like evolution and ID. Big, life changing, socially explosive theories that are held as much for their value to the individuals already held beliefs as their merits.

There is no "proof" for evolution, there is no "proof" for ID. Only one of these creates a working hypothesis for experimentation though, so only one of them is a scientific theory.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Better sex education and a whole lot more emphasis on the use of contraception and morning after pill, without the right wing gutter press and the usual suspects throwing tantrums about it and trying to block such moves.

That sure would be a start.
    That's what has been going on for decades without much success.
    Flood: An overflowing of water onto land that is normally dry.

You cannot 'flood' something that is already covered in water can you?

The event described in the Bible refers to the entire world, by then already containing the continental mass and land animal species including man, become covered in water by the means of flooding through 40 days and nights of continues rain, as a way of punishment from God for man's wicked ways.

An entirely different proposition from the earth initially being covered in water, when no land, and certainly no man could exist to witness it (or to be killed by God).
    OK, I get you now. So you are saying the entire globe has never been underwater since it was created/fell into place.
    Because we're trying to educate children.
    Quite. A good education surely involved every relevant theory on an observed process.
    Ah, but why would they believe that? Because they were told the story as children. There would be no other reason whatsoever. No proof, no evidence, no theory, no indication, no real possibility whatsoever of it really being true.
    That's not the point. People like Shakespeare, modern art, roast beef etc etc. Just because you cannot prove why or how doesn't mean it can't be explored.
    You know having sex with a virgin doesn't cure AIDS. I know the same. But if those people in Southern Africa who do believe such nonsense one day became a global dominance force and eventually taught that nonsense to everyone else, should we advocate teaching it in schools, seeing as enough people now believed in it?
    But you know about that because you have been told - that's the point. You have weighed up the likelihood of AIDS being cured by sex with a virgin, or with drugs or with Crystal healing, and have made your own mind up.
    I was being polite Kentish, but yes you are right. Time to call a spade a spade. It's untrue. It's, simply, bollocks. I shouldn't need to be polite on these issues, seeing as believers have never had any problem making statements that they are right and everyone else is wrong- and until very recently, killing said unbelievers in rather nasty ways.
    Not relevant here.
    Are you denying that millions of people through recent history have been persecuted, prejudiced and in many cases imprisoned, tortured or killed as a result of their sexual orientation? And that in the immense majority of cases such persecution derived directly from religious beliefs that God does not approve of homosexuality?
    I'd suggest more were affected by Nazism. But again it's not relevant.
    Many people who should have had sex before their marriage- just to realise that they were not made for each other- have not, and ended up living unfulfilling marriages and lives. Many gay people brought up religiously have led tortured, awful and fake lives because their upbringing and brainwashing have prevented them from coming out of guilt. Etc etc ad infinitum.

No, of course Religion does not have an exclusive reign in homophobia. But it has been and still is its biggest sponsor.
    What is it you object to? Family influence or school influence, because I can't see how teaching someone about even the Catholic church's stance on these things would affect how they were viewed at home. Do you not trust the parents?
    You keep ignoring the fact that intelligent design is not a science of any kind and simply has no place in a school classroom. Intelligent design is nothing more than Creationism window dressed for the 21st century.
    You haven't answered the question though. Should the plum pudding model of the atom be confined to the philosophy classroom or the chemistry lab?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Oh and even if you showed that evolution was wrong, that in no way means intelligent design is right......

How the hell can you prove intelligent design, scientifically?

I defy you to think of a way...........
    In medicine we'd call this a diagnosis of exclusion. Once you have ruled out other possibilities, all you are left with is the unprovable but most likely.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v431/n7005/full/431114a_fs.html

Here is the amzing science behind the theory..........

One paper, in a low ranking journal

:eek:

and accepted by a possibly biased editor, good shit guys.......... :rolleyes:

and to top it all off it is not a paper supporting intellignet desing, it is arguing that evolution is wrong, the two are not the same..............

If you cannot admit that people support this 'scientific' theory because they have religious motivation then you are deluded............
    If you think Nature is low ranking then you don't know much about popular science.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

No there isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_flood
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    OK, I get you now. So you are saying the entire globe has never been underwater since it was created/fell into place.
    Yep.
    Quite. A good education surely involved every relevant theory on an observed process.
    Not when the 'theory' in question amounts to nothing else than religious drivel masquerading as something plausible.
    That's not the point. People like Shakespeare, modern art, roast beef etc etc. Just because you cannot prove why or how doesn't mean it can't be explored.
    I'm not sure what Shakespeare, modern art or roast beef have to do with scientific theory and education. Sorry don't get the analogy.
    But you know about that because you have been told - that's the point. You have weighed up the likelihood of AIDS being cured by sex with a virgin, or with drugs or with Crystal healing, and have made your own mind up.
    No I know that because I am aware of what is fact and what is fiction. I'm aware of the existence of HIV and AIDS and that it is caused by a virus. I am also aware that having sex with a virgin does not kill or affect viruses or any other medical condition. Never has, never will.
    What is it you object to? Family influence or school influence, because I can't see how teaching someone about even the Catholic church's stance on these things would affect how they were viewed at home. Do you not trust the parents?
    I object to brainwashing and religious education (certainly when it is taught as fact rather than the historical aspect of it), be at home or at school. Since we have no control of what goes on at home, we can at least ensure that at schools children are given a balanced education that is not going to mould them in any way and prejudice their thinking and attitudes for the rest of their lives.
    You haven't answered the question though. Should the plum pudding model of the atom be confined to the philosophy classroom or the chemistry lab?
    Why would it be confined to the philosophy classroom?

You keep trying to equate Creationism and 'intelligent design' with scientific theory. They are nothing of the sort. And that's why they have no place in the classroom.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    What does that link prove? Don't be lazy.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm not sure what Shakespeare, modern art or roast beef have to do with scientific theory and education. Sorry don't get the analogy.
    Your original point was that children shouldn't be taught something as fact when it isn't. You have to be taught about things to have an understanding of them. Just because evolution is a plausible theory supported by evidence doesn't make it fact. So there is room for alternative explanations. Just like if Shakespeare was the only literature taught at school, you would argue that alternative answers to the question of 'what is good literature' should be offered. Everyone should be aware that evolution is an explanation but not a fact.
    No I know that because I am aware of what is fact and what is fiction.
    How did you get to that state? You have been taught that some people believe that having sex with virgins will cure AIDS. Have you been harmed by this knowledge?
    I object to brainwashing and religious education (certainly when it is taught as fact rather than the historical aspect of it), be at home or at school. Since we have no control of what goes on at home, we can at least ensure that at schools children are given a balanced education that is not going to mould them in any way and prejudice their thinking and attitudes for the rest of their lives.
    There is more to religion than history.
    Why would it be confined to the philosophy classroom?

You keep trying to equate Creationism and 'intelligent design' with scientific theory. They are nothing of the sort. And that's why they have no place in the classroom.
    Anything that involves observations and evidence to support a theory explaining those observations is science.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    What does that link prove? Don't be lazy.

Did you bother reading it?
This discussion has been closed.