Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Faith school controversy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://education.guardian.co.uk/faithschools/story/0,13882,1578825,00.html

So the clergy are happy to see people of other faiths send their kids to Christian schools but wouldn't send their own to Muslim schools..........

And the govt still encourages faith schools despite the recent controversy over segregation, surely encouraging these schools can only lead to more segregation?

Comments

• Options
    Two comments 1) its not suprising that Christian leaders would not be happy about sending their children to Muslim schools - I'm guessing that most Moslem leaders don't want to send their children to the nearest Catholic or Anglican school either.
    2) Faith schools shouldn't be funded by the taxpayer. If people want them they should be either a private school where your parents pay or they are funded through the religion.
  • Options
    Well apparently several leading muslims have cliamed that thye are happy to see Muslim children edcuated in Christian schools.

It says in the link that Iqbal Sacranie went to a Catholic school

I agree that faith schools of any kind should not be funded by the taxpayer, and that we should in fact go further in secualrising our schools, seeingas the majority of people are not religious..........
  • Options
    Well apparently several leading muslims have cliamed that thye are happy to see Muslim children edcuated in Christian schools.

It says in the link that Iqbal Sacranie went to a Catholic school

I think Iqbal Sacranie is more a secular leader of the Moslem community than a religious one, so its probably not a fair comparison.

Personally I don't think its that unreasonable that if you're actively religious you want your children to be educated in the Christian (or whatever) faith
  • Options
    No I don't think it is unreasonable that you would want to, I just don't think in an ideal world that it should be allowed.

Allowing people to decide for themselves when they are older is fair enough but indoctrination into a dogmatic faith as a child is wrong in my opinion.....
  • Options
    Personally I don't think its that unreasonable that if you're actively religious you want your children to be educated in the Christian (or whatever) faith

I think that's an abhorrent viewpoint. You are advocating brainwashing. Children don't have the critical faculties needed to investigate this area properly and you can do untold harm by teaching them dogma rather than thought.

If you were to see someone being forced into being a communist or conservative or some other political set of beliefs in this way - that is being systematically fed information only leading towards only one conclusion - you would rightly see it as a violation of their human rights and sinister.

Somehow this becomes ok if it's done by the parents and it's religion, not politics involved.

I agree that NO school should be provided for by theft and extortion.
  • Options
    Often I disagree with Klintock's comments but he sure is spot on there ^^
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Aladdin wrote:
    Often I disagree with Klintock's comments but he sure is spot on there ^^

Word to that! Klintock rarely hitting the nail with the hammer, not the other way around.
  • Options
    Do you people not understand the Christian message? I assume this controversy about faith schools is specifically aimed at Christianity, as know liberal would dare criticize a Muslim. Odd really. Christianity is a religion of peace, kindness and love. I would like to say the same thing about Islam, but the slightest glance at the Qur'an makes it very clear it is not so. Surely it is their human right to have their children taught in a "faith" school?

What about their human rights?

"the govt still encourages faith schools despite the recent controversy over segregation"

Let us be clear about this issue; it is about culture and colour of skin, or race and multiculturalism if you prefer, not religion.

As my local Muslim cleric says: "God is one".
  • Options
    Religions nearly all preach peace.

Doesn't stop the preachers interpreting it as something else, does it?
  • Options
    Do you people not understand the Christian message?

Yes, I do. Explain how forcing someone to learn only a christian view of the world is christian and I will give you a gold clock.
    I assume this controversy about faith schools is specifically aimed at Christianity, as know liberal would dare criticize a Muslim.

Not me. I hate religious education of all kinds and will now probably break the law by saying that anyone who doesn't say "this is what science says and at that it's a best guess because we don't really know" is a dipshit and add that "all religion is for idiots who can't cope with reality". All priests, Imams, popes whathaveyou are all fuckwits and should be ignored.

If you are going to have religious education have it in a balanced way as in the bible says "x". There is no proof for what it says. Make up your own damn mind, kids.
    Surely it is their human right to have their children taught in a "faith" school?

Child's rights first. Children aren't some amorphous blob and part of their parents, they are seperate and individual and their rights to not be force fed bad information at a crucial stage of development should be primary. have you any idea how many fucked up people you get from religious backgrounds?

Start telling defenceless kids that theres a great big beard in the sky watching them all the time and you are asking for psychosis, guilt, low self esteem and all the other horrible shit that seems to come with living in a fantasy. Don't get me started on confession and all that shit either, which is basically teaching you to feel bad about being human. Useless fucking shit, all of it.
    As my local Muslim cleric says: "God is one".

And my local catholic says he's one of three. My local bhuddist says he is me and I am him and god is all around and nowhere. My local scientist is awaiting proof and building workable hypothesis instead about how the observable world works.

The bhuddist is happy but doesn't do much, the catholic lives in guilt and the scientist has managed to make cars, electric lightbulbs etc etc so guess who I will be listening to?
  • Options
    Gosh, this is tedious every time this comes up.

Why can't parents choose the school they want, without your interference?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

Exactly.

My Daughter goes to Catholic School but we are not Catholics. As ive said time and time again the reason I send her there is because this school is one of the better ones in my area.
    I want her to get a decent education and I feel that the Catholic School will do better than my local C of E one.
    simple really.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yes, I do. Explain how forcing someone to learn only a christian view of the world is christian and I will give you a gold clock.Not me. I hate religious education of all kinds and will now probably break the law by saying that anyone who doesn't say "this is what science says and at that it's a best guess because we don't really know" is a dipshit and add that "all religion is for idiots who can't cope with reality". All priests, Imams, popes whathaveyou are all fuckwits and should be ignored. If you are going to have religious education have it in a balanced way as in the bible says "x". There is no proof for what it says. Make up your own damn mind, kids. Child's rights first. Children aren't some amorphous blob and part of their parents, they are seperate and individual and their rights to not be force fed bad information at a crucial stage of development should be primary. have you any idea how many fucked up people you get from religious backgrounds? Start telling defenceless kids that theres a great big beard in the sky watching them all the time and you are asking for psychosis, guilt, low self esteem and all the other horrible shit that seems to come with living in a fantasy. Don't get me started on confession and all that shit either, which is basically teaching you to feel bad about being human. Useless fucking shit, all of it.And my local catholic says he's one of three. My local bhuddist says he is me and I am him and god is all around and nowhere. My local scientist is awaiting proof and building workable hypothesis instead about how the observable world works. The bhuddist is happy but doesn't do much, the catholic lives in guilt and the scientist has managed to make cars, electric lightbulbs etc etc so guess who I will be listening to?

Abused by a Catholic, by any chance? ;)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

because when it's tax payer money that goes to fund a private school it is very much the business of the tax payers. And last time I checked this wasn't about whether or not parents could pick schools for their kids, it was about whether it's a good idea to fund private schools with public money.

Personally I find the idea disgusting.
  • Options

You little shit. You find the idea that children lucky enough to go to a good school and get an excellent education, like Becky's, disgusting because it is funded by the taxpayer? What I find disgusting is that your government spends 200 billion on illegal wars, funded by the taxpayer.
  • Options
    because when it's tax payer money that goes to fund a private school it is very much the business of the tax payers. And last time I checked this wasn't about whether or not parents could pick schools for their kids, it was about whether it's a good idea to fund private schools with public money.

True. The idea of a private school is surley that it should be independant of the Governemnt? If your funded by the government, IMHO, you follow the Governemnt rules of schools.

So many double standards.
  • Options
    You little shit.
    hahahaha, sticks and stones little boy, nothing but sticks and stones.
    You find the idea that children lucky enough to go to a good school and get an excellent education, like Becky's, disgusting because it is funded by the taxpayer? What I find disgusting is that your government spends 200 billion on illegal wars, funded by the taxpayer.
    funny how we agree on that last part isn't it? I find the idea of using public money to fund faith based schools to be a complete violation of Church and State.

...Oh and yes, I do find the idea of kids being able to go to school disgusting. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Abused by a Catholic, by any chance? ;)

Nope. Someone I care about was though and it took me ages to unravel all the crap they had floating around their head.

Does your answer answer any of my points? Don't think so....
    My Daughter goes to Catholic School but we are not Catholics. As ive said time and time again the reason I send her there is because this school is one of the better ones in my area.

Then why teach her religion when she goes there? You admit you are sending her because of superior teaching and not religious dogma, so you should have no issue here.
    I want her to get a decent education and I feel that the Catholic School will do better than my local C of E one.

Your not really suggesting that they are a better school because they are catholic, are you? If that was the case, signing up to rome's favourite superstition should make you smarter. Does it? No. Then you are confusing two issues.
    You little shit. You find the idea that children lucky enough to go to a good school and get an excellent education, like Becky's, disgusting because it is funded by the taxpayer?

I do. Would you break down your neighbours door and steal his TV to pay for a service you wanted? No, of course you wouldn't, stealing is wrong. That being the case, could you explain to me how employing someone else to steal for you is right?
    What I find disgusting is that your government spends 200 billion on illegal wars, funded by the taxpayer.

They are both wrong. Because the money is stolen. All taxation is violent theft. Stockholm syndrome types like to blather on about social contracts and so on like that makes it ok for strangers to steal from you.

As for whether there should be compulsory schooling at all, I don't think there should be.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Exactly.

simple really.
    That is fair enough. But have you ensured that your daughter is not brainwashed in any way without your permission or approval?

Will the school 'teach' her that evolution is rubbish and that the earth and all living creatures were created overnight (sorry, over six days) by a deity a few thousand years ago?

Will they 'teach' her there is a place called Hell where people who don't observe certain rules will be sent to suffer for all eternity?

Will they 'teach' her that there is something wrong with premarital sex?

Will they 'teach' her that there is something wrong with homosexuality?

Will they 'teach' her that abortion is "murder" and that should not be considered in any circumstances?

Will they 'teach' her that contraception is wrong and that the only object of sex is procreation?

I'd be very worried if I were you... unless you agree with all of the above.
  • Options
    woooah there guys-I think some of you need to calm down a bit; remember this should be a debate about issues, rather than personal attacks on people and their religious beliefs! keep it civil chaps, eh?
  • Options
    how bout that personal attack that BornSlippy so willingly dished out then?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Nope. Someone I care about was though and it took me ages to unravel all the crap they had floating around their head.

I have a Catholic Friend, I know exactally what you mean. :rolleyes:

Born Slippy seems to a be a Troll no-one has banned... hmm. How Amusing.

Whenever I read the name I seem to get that song in my head that says "Trippy" in and was on that snowboarding game advert... woo.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

How about the a Nazi school of hate run by the BNP for BNP members to send their kids to?

This assumes that parents a) know what is best for their kids and/or b) 'own' them in some manner such that only their judgement counts.

Neither is true in my opinion...........
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Then why teach her religion when she goes there? You admit you are sending her because of superior teaching and not religious dogma, so you should have no issue here.
    The point you miss is that BeckyBoo is willing to send her daughter to a Catholic school despite not being of that religion. If there is no demand from parents to withdraw the faith status of a school, why interfere centrally?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    That is fair enough. But have you ensured that your daughter is not brainwashed in any way without your permission or approval?

Will the school 'teach' her that evolution is rubbish and that the earth and all living creatures were created overnight (sorry, over six days) by a deity a few thousand years ago?

Will they 'teach' her there is a place called Hell where people who don't observe certain rules will be sent to suffer for all eternity?

Will they 'teach' her that there is something wrong with premarital sex?

Will they 'teach' her that there is something wrong with homosexuality?

Will they 'teach' her that abortion is "murder" and that should not be considered in any circumstances?

Will they 'teach' her that contraception is wrong and that the only object of sex is procreation?

I'd be very worried if I were you... unless you agree with all of the above.
    Get real. RE is taught at all schools, and saying prayers and singing hymns in assembly is usually the only difference between faith and non-faith schools.

Do children not have the right to find out about spiritual issues from an early age?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    How about the a Nazi school of hate run by the BNP for BNP members to send their kids to?
    Is there a big demand for such schooling? :confused:
    This assumes that parents know what is best for their kids
    At what point should the State take over then?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Get real. RE is taught at all schools, and saying prayers and singing hymns in assembly is usually the only difference between faith and non-faith schools.
    Ah, but is it really? Because that is certainly not the case with many a US faith school.

Traditional RE education can actually be compatible with teaching, to a degree. But some 'faith' (or to call a spade a spade, fundamentalist) schools in the US go far beyond that: subjects such as Evolution, sex education and homosexuality are only mentioned to be portrayed as wrong, or not mentioned at all. I am not sure what the situation is in Britain at the moment but I keep getting the feeling there is a new generation of 'faith' schools which are dangerously closer to the US model than to traditional ones.

I could be well mistaken but I can only imagine the kind of sexual education regarding contraception, masturbation, sexuality and sexual intercourse your average Catholic Church is going to want to provide to children.
    Do children not have the right to find out about spiritual issues from an early age?
    If they are taught from a historical context as opposed to being portrayed as facts it would be less of a problem.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Ah, but is it really? Because that is certainly not the case with many a US faith school.
    We don't live in the US. :confused:
    I am not sure what the situation is in Britain at the moment but I keep getting the feeling there is a new generation of 'faith' schools which are dangerously closer to the US model than to traditional ones.
    Maybe you should base your 'feelings' on fact...that being the point you are trying to make, after all.
    I could be well mistaken but I can only imagine the kind of sexual education regarding contraception, masturbation, sexuality and sexual intercourse your average Catholic Church is going to want to provide to children.
    Seeing as most classically faith based schools are primary schools, I think this is pretty much irrelevant. 10 year olds don't need detailed sex education, unless there are local sociological reasons to provide it.
    If they are taught from a historical context as opposed to being portrayed as facts it would be less of a problem.
    Is history not based on fact?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Is there a big demand for such schooling? :confused:

At what point should the State take over then?

No there is not a big demand but following your logic it should be allowed, I disagree.

It is not beyond beleif that people would want to set up a school promoting certain ideologies that may be distastedful to the rest of society, should they be allowed?

Do you think there should be a central curriculum? Should we be teaching creationism?

Lots of issues to do with parents vs state in the education of their children.

I think it is fair to say there should be a balance between what individual parents want their kids to be taught and what society/government wants them to be taught, it is hard to say..........
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Seeing as most classically faith based schools are primary schools, I think this is pretty much irrelevant. 10 year olds don't need detailed sex education, unless there are local sociological reasons to provide it.

Is history not based on fact?

I received sex eduation at primary school, doesn't everyone? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.