Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rioting in Northern Ireland

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I just don't understand how someone can defend an organization which has killed so many civilians. I would never ever consider defending loyalist paramilitaries. I despise them because they have fuelled the hatred of protestants by large sections of catholic people. The exact same reason why I hate the DUP and Ian fucking Paisley. I cringe when I hear them spurting their hate-fuelling shite.

The paramilitaries were always fighting a lost cause. Look at the amount of needless deaths? And for what? I know my thoughts are emotionally affected because of atrocities against my town but when I look through that chronology of conflict and lists of death my over-riding thought is why?

There is no way these actions can be defended unless you're bigotted or deluded. No murder has ever been justified or 'viable' in our country. I still struggle to accept the sheer amount of deaths this country has suffered for no reason. Sure, we're getting some changes now with the republican ceasefire, such as troop withdrawal and reinvention of the police force, but was it really worth all the murder? Was it fuck, and I think that anyone who defends the needless killing in this country is delusional.
  • Options
    addicted7 wrote:
    I just don't understand how someone can defend an organization which has killed so many civilians. I would never ever consider defending loyalist paramilitaries. I despise them because they have fuelled the hatred of protestants by large sections of catholic people. The exact same reason why I hate the DUP and Ian fucking Paisley. I cringe when I hear them spurting their hate-fuelling shite.

The paramilitaries were always fighting a lost cause. Look at the amount of needless deaths? And for what? I know my thoughts are emotionally affected because of atrocities against my town but when I look through that chronology of conflict and lists of death my over-riding thought is why?

There is no way these actions can be defended unless you're bigotted or deluded. No murder has ever been justified or 'viable' in our country. I still struggle to accept the sheer amount of deaths this country has suffered for no reason. Sure, we're getting some changes now with the republican ceasefire, such as troop withdrawal and reinvention of the police force, but was it really worth all the murder? Was it fuck, and I think that anyone who defends the needless killing in this country is delusional.

I know mate, over 3,000 dead for no reason whatsoever....in any other country them people would be normal civillians, over here they're "enemies"..beggers belief!
  • Options
    The reality is that most of these so-called protestants and catholics, are not practising religious folk. Most of them don't have a clue about religion, history or politics.
    Kids are brought up [on both sides] to hate each other, be it religion, or even a game of football!! The mindless thugs on each side spout their hate-filled shite, the orange walks are a way of making this shite visible and heard.
    I find it amazing [in fact maybe not] that the people that play and walk along with orange walks no absolutely nothing about why they are out on the streets parading. The idiots in their Rangers tops that follow them, sparks fly off them.. dragging their knuckles along the ground with their jewellery covered fingers know even less. I was brought up so-called protestant, was forced to wear Rangers tops, even though I have never liked football. The words tim and feenian were taught to me. The reason? I was protestant. [Weirdly my mum is a proddie, my dad a catholic :eek2: ] Yet I had the sense and maturity to disregard this shite and actually read up on the [bloody] history of Catholicism and Protestantism.

I am an atheist and as such, would love a world where there is no religion - think about all the problems it would solve. Everyone singing off the same hymn sheet [or maybe not...lol]. Here in West-central Scotland, we still have segregration with R.C. Schools and "Non-denominational" Schools. Why not have schools where everyone is together - would that not help solve the problems, even a tiny bit? And maybe the parents of the future will not dress their months old babies in Football tops, apparently showing off their protestanism or catholicism and brainwashing these innocents with their shite?

Saying that the problems in Ireland, are so deep-rooted, I fear that things may never change.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    The reality is that most of these so-called protestants and catholics, are not practising religious folk. Most of them don't have a clue about religion, history or politics.
    Kids are brought up [on both sides] to hate each other, be it religion, or even a game of football!! The mindless thugs on each side spout their hate-filled shite, the orange walks are a way of making this shite visible and heard.
    I find it amazing [in fact maybe not] that the people that play and walk along with orange walks no absolutely nothing about why they are out on the streets parading. The idiots in their Rangers tops that follow them, sparks fly off them.. dragging their knuckles along the ground with their jewellery covered fingers know even less. I was brought up so-called protestant, was forced to wear Rangers tops, even though I have never liked football. The words tim and feenian were taught to me. The reason? I was protestant. [Weirdly my mum is a proddie, my dad a catholic :eek2: ] Yet I had the sense and maturity to disregard this shite and actually read up on the [bloody] history of Catholicism and Protestantism.

I am an atheist and as such, would love a world where there is no religion - think about all the problems it would solve. Everyone singing off the same hymn sheet [or maybe not...lol]. Here in West-central Scotland, we still have segregration with R.C. Schools and "Non-denominational" Schools. Why not have schools where everyone is together - would that not help solve the problems, even a tiny bit? And maybe the parents of the future will not dress their months old babies in Football tops, apparently showing off their protestanism or catholicism and brainwashing these innocents with their shite?

Saying that the problems in Ireland, are so deep-rooted, I fear that things may never change.

To be fair, the vast majority of Scots don't take it too seriously. Makes the Old Firm interesting, thats about it.

RC schooling is something which needs to be done away with though, although most non-denominational schools have a high proportion of RC's anyway.
  • Options
    i wasnt defending anyone i was making a point about how the republican cause is more viable
    While I am not condoning what the IRA do and the way in which they promote their politics, surely if someone moved people into an area of england, tried to over rule you and make it part of wales or scotland, you would have some objections??!!

thats a nice way of puttingi t
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    i wasnt defending anyone i was making a point about how the republican cause is more viable

thats a nice way of puttingi t

Doesn't quite paint the full picture though. Ireland was a fragmented and divided island before British rule - i.e. there was no "Irish" nation.