Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rioting in Northern Ireland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im sure many of you have seen the very intense rioting on the news over here at the minute

its the loyalists (protestants) wrecking their own areas and attacking the police and army (very loyal)

it all stemmed over a march that wasn't allowed to go past a catholic area because it was likely that it would start trouble - these kind of marches past these kind of areas are intimidating and it makes catholics feel like they're being walked all over.

the kind of people that partake in these marches and support them are generally not very nice people that usually have strong links with loyalist paramilitaries, the police forcing them through catholic areas is bound to stir up trouble. generally if catholics ever protest against this (sit down protests on the road) they are battered off the road

when they decided this parade wasnt going to happen the orange order called the protestant people out to protest .. how anyone can say they didnt instigate this is beyond me.. but the police done fuck all about them blocking roads and what not

on friday there was minor trouble .. infact on friday night my mum was driving through a small protestant area filled with paramilitary scumbags and they had blocked the road ... they tried to pull her out of the car by the hair and done a fair bit of damage to the car but luckily she got away relatively uninjured

on saturday night they went nuts, trouble spread everywhere, the city has basically been like a warzone .. on saturday night i was in my mates flat 10 floors up watching the helicopters with their spot lights, about 3 or 4 helicopters out at once and an army airplane circling all day and all night ... looked mad

but the place took a fair battering (50 live rounds were shot at them, an obvious attempt to kill) and they were actually praised for using minimal force ... if this had have been catholics doing this they would came in extremely heavily handedly and a few people probably would have been shot dead in retaliation to the live rounds fired at them

there was only 50 officers injured the whole weekend and the rioting was in many places and very intense ... during one night of rioting in a catholic area nearby at the start of the summer there were 80 officers injured ... this just goes to show that they have no problem sending a lot of police at the catholics .. there was actually pretty bad rioting last week in a protestant areas and noone was injured .. they didnt even get out of their jeeps, they sat there and took it all night

for some reason sectarian attacks against catholics and catholic homes particularly has rose a LOT since the IRA said they were going to decommission (give up their guns, the violent, bloody armed struggle apparently over) but the uvf/uda seem determined to provoke republicans to retaliate.

i think the decision by the IRA is a HUGE step forwards in trying to get this hell hole of a country sorted out but it seems a hardcore group of idiotic bigoted sectarian bastards is always gonna ruin it for us all. its all down to the huge influence these paramilitaries have on the protestant youths, theyre brought up being told to hate catholics. i cant really say its much better on this side either but i can assure you 80% of the time the IRA are trying to stop the kids from rioting, to stop trouble from flaring. all you have to do is watch the news some time when theres a march, you'll see all the stewards trying to prevent things from kicking off. the rioting will only usually start if theres a good reason

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4233850.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4235278.stm
http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=64878&pt=n

there's a few news reports for anyone interested. the first two have videos so you can see some of this trouble in action.

i can hear the helicopter floating about now, its been there all day ... you can nearly feel the tension in the air .. its even dodgy as fuck walking about outside now .. you're just waiting to get trailed into a car

im interested to hear the opinions of other people in the uk .. do you want these scumbags to be a part of the uk ? do you support what they're doing?

and by scumbags i do not mean the whole of the protestant community, i mean the people who are partaking in all this violence ... i know many decent protestants ... infact my best mate is a protestant from a very loyalist area, and im a catholic from a very republican area so that goes to show im not a narrow minded sectarian cunt

i wonder if this country will ever get sorted out :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    Just a bunch of wee hoods imo...I think the Orange Order are a pack of bigoted wanks, the lot of them, played a big part in instigating it. Belfast looked really messed up on the TV, burnt out cars everywhere and debris and shit lying everywhere...and did ya hear Ian Paisley and Nigel Dodds on TV, yet again they somehow manage to get a dig in at "Sinn Fein/IRA" even though this had nothing to do with Sinn Fein. Arseholes
  • Options
    There is something particularly despicable about loyalist thugs and about Orange Orders isn't it? I mean, both sides of the conflict have commited atrocities but there is a particular nastiness and odiousness about that bunch of bigoted scumbags.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Couple of these could stop it.
  • Options
    yeah, they always go on about how its their culture and how they have the right to do xyz .. fair enough theyve been doing these marches for whatever amount of time but some things have to change in order for this place to move forwards, and its a fact that more of less ALL of this trouble comes from these marches, may it be either side its the marches that start it

most of the time they're allowed to march and the catholics start .. but when they're not they start hell too .. any of the most serious rioting in recent times has come from their marching, apart from of course the holy cross trouble, which also shows how pathetic these people can be and what they'll lower themselves too (bricks, bottles, blast bombs and condoms filled with urine thrown at primary school children and their parents along with having abuse hurled at them and being spat at), but we wont even get into that, we dont need to, whats happening now says enough

the orange order definaty needs to be made illegal, it HAS to be done after this weekend, the disruption it has caused this weekend

the city basically came to a stand still today with fears of trouble, the whole town was blocked up with traffic due to some places being blocked off and people trying to get home before anything kicked off
  • Options
    loyalist idiots!
    but then ireland has a history of violent idiots ...each side seems to take turns.

on the radio today i heard some orange tangoed goon trying to explain how marching is their culture ...fucking culture!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    grown men marching and banging drums and waving flags in memory of some distant past ...fucking retards ...
  • Options
    indeed it does have a history of violent idiots but you'll find the loyalist paramilitaries have always been far worse ... any catholic is a target whereas republican paramilitaries generally only target certain protestants ..

i wont say there hasnt been cases where this side has just been as bad as the other, but on the whole the loyalist side is worse and has a lot of sick people who do downright wrong things

i although believe the republicans have a lot more of a cause, their reasons for violence, although maybe not right, are fairly understandable

what cause are these protestants fighting for?
  • Options
    Feel for you mate. Looked like a fucking warzone on the news. But what is the solution? Because these idiots can't be routed out of society, more will come up in their places. And ideology doesn't seem to have changed a whole lot in a couple of hundred years either.
  • Options
    intern the lot of them

they had no problem doing it to practically every catholic male in republican areas in the 70's, leaving the areas open for attack

internment is lifting you and fucking you in a cell with no trial
  • Options
    what is the solution? .
    turn the whole country into a hardline muslim state ...
    or let saddam out of jail and give the place to him.
  • Options
    Both sides are as bad as each other.

Having said that, I do blame the Orange Order for all of it. If they hadn't invaded Ireland we wouldn't have this mess. If they didn't want to dance in a Catholic town bragging about their ancestors killed a load of Catholics then we wouldn't have this mess. The Orange Order are directly responsible for all of Ireland's problems.

But lets not let that get in the way of anything, its all the Catholics' fault.

I find it odd how when the Catholics throw three petrol bombs its a national emergency, but when the Orange Order do it nobody gives a crap.

It's high time that the Orange Order were given life jail sentences and get punished for the troubles they have caused.
  • Options
    Send them back? ;)

Actually, the whole thing is quite ironic isn't it. Unionists/loyalists are needless to say very Conservative and right wing. Very Conservative and right wing people are always going on about immigration and how it is a disgrace that "immigrants" (regardless of whether they were actually born in the country :rolleyes: ) always failed to adapt to and embrace the local culture.

And yet... the same cunts have consistently failed to embrace the local culture for 300 years, and continue to clash with the locals (if a British-born Asian isn't a local, why should loyalists be considered anything but alien immigrants?) and to refuse to embrace local culture and customs.

Oh the irony...
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    intern the lot of them

they had no problem doing it to practically every catholic male in republican areas in the 70's, leaving the areas open for attack

internment is lifting you and fucking you in a cell with no trial

I know, I studied N. Ireland for my GCSE history coursework (not exactly in depth, but since my dad's Irish I took an interest :p). Although they're scum, internment won't work in the long run. Do 'bad people' really exist? Or is it just because of what they've been told, and what they're experiencing, they're life experience. Throwing them in prison will only further incense them, really on both sides the only way is to compromise and try and get the extremists to back down. Because locking them up will only push the middle people who have an opinion but don't want to get involved to become extreme, and then they'll get involved.

It's all a vicious cycle, one way or another, and though at the time it doesn't seem like the best solution, reconciliation and reasoning is the only way to go. Though, having said that, if all the scum who attack random people died in a plane crash tomorrow (no one to blame and take revenge on then), I don't think I'd be crying about it. We can only hope they all foad.
  • Options
    reconciliation and reasoning is the only way to go.

Definitely.

Go and tell that to the Orange Order who get upset when they're not allowed to march through a Catholic area. Anyone would think the marches were banned outright (which they should be).
  • Options
    ban the christening of children and the problem will eventualy go away.
    baptising or christening a child is a form of kidnapping and brainwashing.
  • Options
    i wouldn't say both sides are as bad as eachother

just because you hear stuff on the news and whatnot doesn't mean its true

95% of the time its the government/police on the loyalists side and its always been like that, since the majority of the government/police are protestants (espically a few decades ago)

catholics dont usually go and start chaos over fuck all, i think the police battering a path for the orange order through catholics is reason enough for a riot to kick off as its very unjust, and i dont think anyone coud sit and say they dont understand why all that trouble started over holy cross. in general im talking about recent times, but even as you look back i'd say the catholics are the better people

its practically ok for a protestant to walk through a catholic area, noone would even know the difference, you would rarely be looked at twice

if you're a catholic going through a protestant area its very likely you'll be caught out, you're basically assumed your a catholic if your not known

im just pointing out small things but it all adds up!

btw ive heard a number of explosions in the last 20 minutes!
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    i wouldn't say both sides are as bad as eachother

Oh, come on.

Unless you're going to try and justify Omagh, Manchester, Warrington, Canary Wharf, Brighton and all the rioting and gangland executions, then you have to admit that at the very least both sides are as bad as each other.
  • Options
    why haven't america invaded?
  • Options
    i'm not justifying any of those nor do i agree with any of them in the slightest and you'll find the most catholics do not agree with these type of attacks..

maybe years ago when the british state were seen as the enemy for a multitude of reasons, all sorts of injustices, like i said i think the republicans have more of a cause

i dont exactly agree with the republican cause but its more understandable than the protestant cause which seems to be a fear of catholics reaching equality
  • Options
    Fucking disgrace. I can't leave my area because some adult cunts are throwing their toys out of the pram over a fucking march. Makes me furious, I'm catholic and for once Sean Fein can actually hold their hands up and say "it wasn't anything to do with us". :mad:
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    and you'll find the most catholics do not agree with these type of attacks..
    and i think you'll find that most proddies don't agree either with whats being done in their name.
  • Options
    What I don't get is the pandering to these fuckwits.

They aren't "catholic", they aren't "protestant" even in the sense that it's their religion. Never mind my usual bugbear about it all being bollocks anyway because there is no link between people.

How can you tell? Well, the total lack of spirituality and following of commandments gives it away a bit for a start.

There are no "catholics" there are no "protestants" and the sooner they realise it the better. Fuckwits.
  • Options
    theres been at least 20 loud explosions in the last 45 mins, definatly not fireworks, too loud

i do wonder what they're at
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4238442.stm ? firebombs perhaps.

Jesus mate, this is terrible. I mean, we are getting on with our daily lives but it's widescale anarchy over there, from what I can see.
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    theres been at least 20 loud explosions in the last 45 mins, definatly not fireworks, too loud

i do wonder what they're at
    is there any chance the right people might get blown up?
  • Options
    is there any chance the right people might get blown up?

a few years ago someone throwing a pipe bomb into a catholic crowd was unfortunate enough to have it prematurely explode and kill him ... another rioter was critically injured last night becasue of a pipe bomb ..

what do you think about this ? do you think this person deserves to die more than whoever he threw it at (an obvious attempt to murder) ?

i do
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    a few years ago someone throwing a pipe bomb into a catholic crowd was unfortunate enough to have it prematurely explode and kill him ... another rioter was critically injured last night becasue of a pipe bomb ..

what do you think about this ? do you think this person deserves to die more than whoever he threw it at (an obvious attempt to murder) ?

i do

Naturally. Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you, or something. If he wants to blow people up, then he should expect to get blown up. Hence, through some divine intervention, he does.

Though it's nasty to say it, the idea actually brings a grim kind of smile to my face in a 'just desserts' kind of way. You know, people who shoot at each other, well, I can maybe understand. They're fighting their own 'war' whether it's justified or not. However, throwing weapons of terror to maim and kill people who have no interest in joining in your 'war' is just pure cowardice and those people are utter scum. I can't emphasize that point enough.

Whatever their influences are, it doesn't mean they're necessarily bad at all. But when they take the choice to throw a bomb into a crowd, that undisputedly does.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What I don't get is the pandering to these fuckwits.

They aren't "catholic", they aren't "protestant" even in the sense that it's their religion. Never mind my usual bugbear about it all being bollocks anyway because there is no link between people.

How can you tell? Well, the total lack of spirituality and following of commandments gives it away a bit for a start.

There are no "catholics" there are no "protestants" and the sooner they realise it the better. Fuckwits.

its more political than religious ... going on where you live and the family your brought up in you have to be either .. its just the way it is

loads of people arent practising catholics, im certainly not and the same goes for a lot of protestants
  • Options
    "Petrol bombs thrown at the police station".

It's surprising that that doesn't make the top headline of the BBC website :/
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    ... But what is the solution? ...

I posted it already. :impissed:
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    I posted it already. :impissed:

Spose :razz:

A couple of warrios with battle ready troops would probably do a lot of damage too :p.