Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

rioting in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    maybe they wer just all drunk. I mean, everyone feels like smashing something up wen they drunk.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Spose :razz:

A couple of warrios with battle ready troops would probably do a lot of damage too :p.

My mate just joined Mechanised... he isn't going to Iraq, might usggest it to him. :thumb:

Nah, not drunk. They actually managed to HIT the target with petrol bombs. If you were drunk, hell, you'd probably struggle to make the damn bomb, simple as it is. Besides, I don't often get that violent when drunk.
  • Options
    big police vans arent exactly difficult to hit.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    big police vans arent exactly difficult to hit.

If your that Pished, it could be a question of standing long enough to hit one of those vans you see.
  • Options
    i dont see how different streets can be for a certain religion only :s
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    maybe they wer just all drunk. I mean, everyone feels like smashing something up wen they drunk.

Are you serious?

I will amdit there has been a level of loyalist paramilitary involvment, namely the gun attacks, the blast and pipe and petrol bombs. However what it really seems to me is a load of wee hoods (hoods are belfast chavs only far far far worse than your average chav) just having a riot and using the whole parades thingy as an excuse to fire a load of bricks at the police, though the Orange Order enticng them onto the streets didn't do much.Saying that, if they start attacking Catholic/Nationalist areas, then there'll be real trouble. Northern Irish politics is so complex, hard to explain to people who don't live here, it's a totally different way of life like.
  • Options
    i dont see how different streets can be for a certain religion only :s

It's called segregation, just loads of housing estates of one religion, big wall seperating it from loads of housing estates of the other religion.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    f they start attacking Catholic/Nationalist areas, then there'll be real trouble.

A few less scummers in the world... It seems just as there is hope in the area, your version of the chav goes and fucks it up.

Yeah, sounds like Chavs to me.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Are you serious?

I will amdit there has been a level of loyalist paramilitary involvment, namely the gun attacks, the blast and pipe and petrol bombs. Northern Irish politics is so complex, it's a totally different way of life like.
    and aren't those loyalists busy blowing up and burning down ...loyalist shops and houses? never did understand people who shit in their own nest.
    so complex it's a different way of death would be a better description.
  • Options
    and aren't those loyalists busy blowing up and burning down ...loyalist shops and houses? never did understand people who shit in their own nest.
    so complex it's a different way of death would be a better description.

Just evil bastards. They say they're loyalists and god fearing protestants, though they'll burn down their own kind's premises and beat a Catholic cos he wears a Celtic top or lives in a certain area. Not saying republicans are saints either, a lot would do them same to Protestants but in todays climate, you don't really see republican attacks on protestants as much as the other way round. I think a lot of the attitudes left over from the end of the troubles have remained and will be for a while yet. It's mob rule out on those streets..wouldn't like to be a resident there tbh...will be in a week when i go to uni but that's away from the hot spots of violence.
  • Options
    Supprised half of them don't go round Uni trying to recruit.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Just evil bastards. They say they're loyalists and god fearing protestants, though they'll burn down their own kind's premises and beat a Catholic cos he wears a Celtic top or lives in a certain area. Not saying republicans are saints either, a lot would do them same to Protestants but in todays climate, you don't really see republican attacks on protestants as much as the other way round. I think a lot of the attitudes left over from the end of the troubles have remained and will be for a while yet. It's mob rule out on those streets..wouldn't like to be a resident there tbh...will be in a week when i go to uni but that's away from the hot spots of violence.
    well mate ...i for one cannot get my head round it at all.
    apart from the obvious guilt of the catholic and protestant churches in all this.
    it's ok some people insisting it's politics not religion but ...the fact there is religous segregation points the finger at who is originaly at fault ...popes and arch bishops to be sure.
  • Options
    well mate ...i for one cannot get my head round it at all.
    apart from the obvious guilt of the catholic and protestant churches in all this.
    it's ok some people insisting it's politics not religion but ...the fact there is religous segregation points the finger at who is originaly at fault ...popes and arch bishops to be sure.

Hmm...well they should get some blame...you could say if organised religion never materialised none of this would happen. Though I will say throughout the troubles clergy from both sides have condemned attacks from both sides. It's the people on the ground using religion as a ground for politics, it's always been the same protestant=unionist=loyal to England, catholic=nationalist=loyal to Ireland, thats how it goes here and people get very worked up over all 3 issues and use the other 2 for an excuse for the other 1...if you catch my drift.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    their own kind's

Three little words which say so much about the trouble in Ireland...
  • Options
    A couple of warrios with battle ready troops would probably do a lot of damage too :p.

Indeed and that method worked so well in the past century, didn't it?
  • Options

I was joking in response to gerbil's post saying some challenger 2s would do the trick. *shrug*
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    What I don't get is the pandering to these fuckwits.

They aren't "catholic", they aren't "protestant" even in the sense that it's their religion. Never mind my usual bugbear about it all being bollocks anyway because there is no link between people.

How can you tell? Well, the total lack of spirituality and following of commandments gives it away a bit for a start.

There are no "catholics" there are no "protestants" and the sooner they realise it the better. Fuckwits.

They aren't really religious, they are just thugs.
  • Options
    Ceasefire Over

One step forwards, two steps backwards... Thought I've never been to Ireland, from what I've *heard* from different people I would be inclined to agree these are just street thugs who want an excuse to cause trouble. The consequences affects everybody though. *sigh*
  • Options
    he was urged to rule their ceasefire illegal a week or two ago due to the increase in sectarian attacks and the murder of 4 people during the LVF/UVF feud and refused ...

how they were able to get away with stuff like in the first place i dont know!

he now HAS to do it due to how widespread and intense these riots were - the protestant people were clearly influenced by the paramilitaries, the violence was clearly orchestrated ... that amount of blast bombs/paint bombs/petrol bombs doesnt appear out of nowhere!
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    clearly orchestrated ... that amount of blast bombs/paint bombs/petrol bombs doesnt appear out of nowhere!
    maybe they just evolved ...
  • Options
    The UVF ceasefire ended years ago, there's always some sort of fued between the many loyalist groupings there are.
  • Options
    to be quite honest i quite like their feuds

id far prefer they were killing eachother than innocent catholics

we can only hope they someday wipe eachother out through their own stupidity
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    we can only hope they someday wipe eachother out through their own stupidity

Not far from it, the LVF looks particularly vulnerable and weak at the moment...I hope they all die, nasty wee group that.
  • Options

Oh come on, the Warrior isn't that old!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Not far from it, the LVF looks particularly vulnerable and weak at the moment...I hope they all die, nasty wee group that.

dont they have huge support in mid ulster ? i know here for one they do not and most have been forced out of belfast ... lvf areas of stronghold also taken down by mob rule!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Oh come on, the Warrior isn't that old!
    it is a twentieth century machine is it not?
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    mob rule!
    send the troops back in.
  • Options
    it is a twentieth century machine is it not?

Indeed it is. But it is only 19. 1987 production began, and they are all getting upgraded to extend their services life to 2035!
  • Options
    send the troops back in.

the troops are always there taking quite a battering
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    the troops are always there taking quite a battering

Need more of these, then, as I said.