Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

9/11 Sigs

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    admittedly not so proud of that part

So what exactly are you so proud of, except for vague ideals which are by no means exclusive to US citizens?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    So what exactly are you so proud of, except for vague ideals which are by no means exclusive to US citizens?
    the culture...I'm sorry but I am getting the impression that I am being told not to be proud of the place where I live, what's the deal here guys? Is it really that out of place?
  • Options
    Pride of the culture is not the same a pride of a symbol.

What you are getting here is a sense from outside the US of what you flag has come to symbolise.

We don't know what the media portrayal is over there, how much propaganda you are subjected to about how wonderful the US is. All we can give is a view from outside, and believe us, it ain't that good.

The US is seen as a warmongering bully who doesn't take time to ask if it's way is the best, it just assumes that it is. The tries to enforce it on others.

The elements of the US which you seem proud of are not exclusive to the US...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    US Culture? Im sorry, but im not sure what you mean. The US has little culture of its own, it is a very young nation of immigrants, so simply has the culture of those who went there. Europeans, mainly.

Im not sure though. Do you mean Donuts? (You yanks make the best donuts. Ever. I love them...) Muscle Cars? (Another win for you!) Rednecks? :p

Im not sure. Explain what you mean?
  • Options
    I think we're being a little bit harsh. The USA has many many faults, but there is nothing wrong with Americans displaying an American flag if they so wish. We find them brash and a bit too...erm... American for our taste but that's our problem.

As for those remembrance pictures on page 1, they're awful. How anyone could feel that they are a suitable way of honouring the dead is beyond me. They symbolise quite effectively why 11/9 happened though.

Surely a symbol of peace would be more appropriate than one of a murderous inferno?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    They symbolise quite effectively why 11/9 happened though.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of it the other way round :)
  • Options
    Kate1 wrote:
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks of it the other way round :)

Well, us Brits do. The Americans would put the month first, because that might make sense... in their craaazy craaazy heads. :p
  • Options
    Pride of the culture is not the same a pride of a symbol.
    it is a symbol of the culture, and in many cases when you are speaking of one it is interchangeable with the other.
    What you are getting here is a sense from outside the US of what you flag has come to symbolise.
    I get it allot at home as well. My town is very liberal (again something that I am very proud of) and most of the folks in my school share your guy's view. What I am trying to say is that it is a little misguided.
    We don't know what the media portrayal is over there, how much propaganda you are subjected to about how wonderful the US is. All we can give is a view from outside, and believe us, it ain't that good.
    there is a good deal of propaganda. I don't claim to be the most well informed person, but I do consider myself to be not easily fooled. I know the culture and ideals of the U.S. and I know that in many cases it doesn't practice what is preaches. But I have been speaking towards the better qualities that it still has, things which many people on this board seem unwilling to believe exist or ever existed.
    The US is seen as a warmongering bully who doesn't take time to ask if it's way is the best, it just assumes that it is. Then tries to enforce it on others.
    Unfortunatly true.
    The elements of the US which you seem proud of are not exclusive to the US...
    But it does exist in the U.S.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    US Culture? Im sorry, but im not sure what you mean. The US has little culture of its own, it is a very young nation of immigrants, so simply has the culture of those who went there. Europeans, mainly.
    and whose to say that isn't part of the culture of the U.S.?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Surely a symbol of peace would be more appropriate than one of a murderous inferno?
    true, but I do rather like the firefighters.
  • Options
    It is. But its not exactalyl exclusive to you, is it? What is the US's particular culture, what the flag used to represent before it became a hate symbol for Extremists? As far as I can tell, ideals that are upheld throughout much of the world, not just the US. US Culture is a hotchpotch of things, with sadly, still little integration in many areas.

Ah well, Let's all fly the confederate flag instead. :p
  • Options
    [QUOTE=AllAmericanRageJunkyBut I have been speaking towards the better qualities that it still has, things which many people on this board seem unwilling to believe exist or ever existed.[/QUOTE]

The US does not have a exclusive hold on these vague "qualities" of wanting peace and justice, and all the flag-toting does is illustrate that the Americans think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

It isn't the flag that people are upset about, otherwise every football match and the Last Night of the Proms would be condemned. And they aren't. It isn't pride in the country.

It's the way the flag is used. The fact that you consider the US flag to represent peace and justice is the problem. It's hard to explain to someone who is used to that culture.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It is. But its not exactalyl exclusive to you, is it? What is the US's particular culture, what the flag used to represent before it became a hate symbol for Extremists? As far as I can tell, ideals that are upheld throughout much of the world, not just the US. US Culture is a hotchpotch of things, with sadly, still little integration in many areas.
    what's not exclusice to us? The ideals I listed? I alread answered that question.
    Ah well, Let's all fly the confederate flag instead. :p
    lots of folks do.
  • Options
    Lots of folks are rednecks, so they would. :p

Incidently, today in 1777 was the first time it flew in battle. :yes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The US does not have a exclusive hold on these vague "qualities" of wanting peace and justice, and all the flag-toting does is illustrate that the Americans think they are the best thing since sliced bread.
    I'll tell you the same thing I told Teh Gerible (sorry if I misspelled that buddy); I already responded to the idea that these qualities are exclusive to the U.S. please read my previous posts so I don't have to go over it again.
    It's the way the flag is used. The fact that you consider the US flag to represent peace and justice is the problem. It's hard to explain to someone who is used to that culture.
    I know. I have tried explaining it to the people at my school and they seem a little more reseptive than the guys round here.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Lots of folks are rednecks, so they would. :p

Incidently, today in 1777 was the first time it flew in battle. :yes:
    what the rebel flag?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    but im not sure what you mean. The US has little culture of its own

The US has lots of culture and history, it's just not prevelant in the America we see today.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    The US has lots of culture and history, it's just not prevelant in the America we see today.

It also wasn't recorded much, which doesn't help. Nor the fact they are all dead.

And here is the flag, as it was then.
    us-1777b.gif

Yeah, she's changed a little.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    us-1777b.gif

lol yup
  • Options
    Yesterday (11th! - still haven't gone to bed :p)I was busy at work and listening to the radio for 6 hours and believe or not never heard a reminder about 9/11 - its no special anniversary - nothing special to remember yes it happened but horrible things happen everyday - for me I think the boxing day tsunami will be the thing to stick in my mind - the people got on with the disaster without the bad behaviour we saw in New Orleans or the constant reminders of the people who died - such as 9/11 - personally I had a lot of time for that disaster and the people involved I was involved in a huge fundraiser for this cause and made sure that all the children in my class knew about it. I knew a guy in Sri Lanka before the Tsunami and since the disaster have never heard from him. So many people die everyday and I feel a flag shows ignorance, I will remember the july bombings in london and although the british flag means a lot to me it would be offensive in the context - especially considering why it happened! In my opinion these things should be remembered in a personal way a sig cannot express the feelings of all of those lost or families and friends of those lost!

oh and by the way 9/11 11/9 it doesn't matter people have different ways of writing the date I know some european friends who write the month then day. You can see that quite clearly here 11/23/2005 or 01/24/1999 its not wrong its just another way different cultures do things!
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It also wasn't recorded much, which doesn't help. Nor the fact they are all dead.

us-1777b.gif

that just makes it look like theres a united states of europe
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    that just makes it look like theres a united states of europe
    ?