Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

9/11 Sigs

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Edit: ffs my rather witty comment is no longer valid ;[[
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Damn, it works now.

You made me think of the "Owned" images... but seriously, its old news now. Yes, it is sad. But come on, what is the obseesion with it? I daresay it'll be spread through the Media again, we won't hear anything else.

Terrorist attacks have happened before. Sure, not on this scale, but they've won if we don't get on with our damn lives afterwards and keep on and on about it. They get the attention they want. Their fight become more well known.

They really have won, haven't they?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Damn, it works now.

You made me think of the "Owned" images... but seriously, its old news now. Yes, it is sad. But come on, what is the obseesion with it? I daresay it'll be spread through the Media again, we won't hear anything else.

Terrorist attacks have happened before. Sure, not on this scale, but they've won if we don't get on with our damn lives afterwards and keep on and on about it. They get the attention they want. Their fight become more well known.

They really have won, haven't they?

hold on.

it's hardly something that will be forgotten, or could ever be forgotten. so what, it's in the news a few times a year but surely people are entitled to remember.
  • Options
    Crap saccharine bullshit. Mostly the latter.

Take it away, it makes my eyes bleed.

The last one is incredibly offensive, btw- it wasn't just Americans who were killed.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Crap saccharine bullshit. Mostly the latter.

Take it away, it makes my eyes bleed.

The last one is incredibly offensive, btw- it wasn't just Americans who were killed.

so, what's your point?
  • Options
    That these icons are shit, pointless, and deeply deeply awful.
  • Options
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    That these icons are shit, pointless, and deeply deeply awful.
    I think they are fine symbols of remembrance.
  • Options
    They're like any other American Patriotic symbols of this or that...

We don't remember other terrible things as said above. And the other point i was making IS, the Terrorists WANT us to be thinking about it. It gets them the attention in the Media, makes their threat seem far more significant than it really is. Makes people scared.

Humans used to be people who just got on with it during a time of crisis. Far worse has happened. Why when America gets attacked, is it suddenly the end of the world? Don't get me wrong here, it is awful. People should be allowed to mourn and all that. But I can't help feeling its being blown out of proportion. Sad event yes, I was shocked as anything, could barley beleive it happened. But... come on... why is it so much more important than anything else?
  • Options
    They won't remember in the end. Do you remember the Oklahoma bombings every year? Of course not, why should you? How about the dates of any of the IRA bombings? The massacre at Peterloo? The battle of Ypres?

fair point. but was i actually alive while any of these happened? yes, that makes me look ignorant but i've never even heard of the battle of the ypres! but if i wasn't alive while it happened and haven't been educated about it then i can't know about it.
  • Options
    was i actually alive while any of these happened?

yes.
    i've never even heard of the battle of the ypres! but if i wasn't alive while it happened and haven't been educated about it then i can't know about it.

It was one of the major battles of world war one.

I could probably just about live with them if it wasn't for the liberal masturbation over the US flag.

It's not an anti-US viewpoint before anyone says it, but I find such vulgar patriotism to be disgusting and deeply offensive. As I said, I seriously dislike the implication that only the US suffered after 11/9, and that only US people died or have ever felt such tragedy.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I could probably just about live with them if it wasn't for the liberal masturbation over the US flag.

That kind of out and out State enforced patriotism is quite grating to us Europeans. (and dont say its not state enforced it is, check the pledge of allegience sometime)

Of course no one is suggesting we totally ignore September the 11th, but this way? Its tacky.
  • Options
    WTF are they? I completly agree with Kermit, why the bloody hell would you put some cheesy tacky shite in your signature over september 11th, and completely fail to do the same for the manchester city bombing, or dunblain.
  • Options
    o_0
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Alas thesite does not allow HTML in your signature. What a shame :|
  • Options
    Alas thesite does not allow HTML in your signature. What a shame :|

And thankfully you can turn off the top bit too, I only get the names in plain black and white text, much better.
  • Options
    I agree with most of the people here, the Americans seem to think it was the worst thing that has happened in the world ever. Just because they have a huge media network and can pump it out on all stations doesn't mean it was any worse an atrocity than any other bombings. If I had died in those bombings I would be deeply offended that those sigs were being shown in rememberance, they are tacky, and take patriotism to a whole new, disgusting and disturbing level.
  • Options
    I will not be remembering 9/11 in any other way than it being my sister's birthday.

Those signatures are...bad.
  • Options
    I reckon it will turn out that more people have died in the Hurricane and aftermath. Will there be some sort of tacky signature graphic for that, too?
  • Options
    Yeah but this is a British board.
  • Options
    waste of time really, people tend to remember things better if they didnt havppen to them
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Will there be some sort of tacky signature graphic for that, too?

Yep.

But not the hundreds of people who drown in Bangladesh every typhoon season.

Funny that.

ETA: the main reason why the sigs are bobbins is because they've put the date on wrong. It's the 11th september, not the 9th November.
  • Options
    but kermit, those people are a bit dark and smelly and foreign for us to care.

ETA: and you're right about the date
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yep.

But not the hundreds of people who drown in Bangladesh every typhoon season.

Funny that.

But they are not American! So why the hell should we care about backwards people who always need aid?
  • Options
    What does ETA mean?

And people die every day... Sucks I know, but 3000 Americans compared to how many killed by arms the US deal and sanctions on Iraq? And American companies that have made loans to Africa?
  • Options
    what about the tsunami victims and the london bombings? or the people killed in floods and hurricanes every year? or the children dying of starvation?
  • Options
    What does ETA mean?

Edited To Add
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    what about the tsunami victims and the london bombings?

They'll get their tacky signatures too, don't worry.

White people died :yes:
    the children dying of starvation?

These won't- they're not white.
    Teh-Gerbil wrote:
    why the hell should we care about backwards people who always need aid?

Oh, how hard it is for me to not make the obvious joke.
  • Options
    I'm not saying they shouldn't be remembered. It's just that america can come across as an arrogant country sometimes, like when i was in florida nearly every house had the american flag hanging outside. The only time we hang flags is when the footballs on. Theres an american girl in my year at school, and she's all about the 'proud to be american' thing and goes on about how she loves her country. But it seems to me nowadays most british hate our country because stuff gets out of control.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    But it seems to me nowadays most british hate our country because stuff gets out of control.

Every one moans about the UK certainly, but I dont think many people hate it, we just had all we could take of really hardcore nationalism during WW2 and we've decided to avoid it ever since.