Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

9/11 Sigs

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Silverberg wrote:
    I agree with most of the people here, the Americans seem to think it was the worst thing that has happened in the world ever. Just because they have a huge media network and can pump it out on all stations doesn't mean it was any worse an atrocity than any other bombings. If I had died in those bombings I would be deeply offended that those sigs were being shown in rememberance, they are tacky, and take patriotism to a whole new, disgusting and disturbing level.

1: you seem to have been fooled by the media into believing we think it is the worst thing that ever happened. We don’t, we are just damned upset by, as we should be. Most folks don’t think it was the worst thing to ever happen. Remember, the corporate media doesn't speak on behave of the American people.
    2: what do you have against patriotism?
  • Options
    Yeah but this is a British board.
    Strictly British eh? Then why am I still here? And why are there a bunch of other guys from the U.S. running around?
  • Options
    You know that ".uk" at the end of the address? it's cos it's a british board. And moonrat didn't say strictly.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    But they are not American! So why the hell should we care about backwards people who always need aid?

Funny I didn't see you lot crying about people in SE Asian when the bombs went off in the tubes...
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You know that ".uk" at the end of the address? it's cos it's a british board. And moonrat didn't say strictly.
    oh shit, you mean we are alowed on here?!

the point is that there are US citizens on here who might take an interest in those sigs.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    what about the tsunami victims and the london bombings? or the people killed in floods and hurricanes every year? or the children dying of starvation?
    All very sad, and all worth remebering. Doesn't mean that we should not remeber the people who died on 9/11
  • Options
    Look at the points brought up. Firstly the american flags give tribute to the americans that died, despite the fact that it wasn't just you. Secondly, it's grossly tacky, i'd be turning under my pile of rubble over them. Thirdly, you can't write the date. And fourthly, no, you can remember all you want, but it's hugely hypocritical to be so overt about september 11th, and then completely fail to remember other more major dates in history.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Look at the points brought up. Firstly the american flags give tribute to the americans that died, despite the fact that it wasn't just you. Secondly, it's grossly tacky, i'd be turning under my pile of rubble over them. Thirdly, you can't write the date. And fourthly, no, you can remember all you want, but it's hugely hypocritical to be so overt about september 11th, and then completely fail to remember other more major dates in history.

You're right, it wasn't just Americans who died, I can't argue with that. But in all likely the flag in the picture isn't intended to only symbolize the deaths of the americans. Tacky is relative buddy. I can write the damn date, we call it 9/11 and that is how i write it. Oh for fucks sake, I'm having a flashback to a thread dedicated to the loss in the Madrid bombings, shit looks like that was hypocritical as well. Anyhow, it's 2:15 in the morning so I am off to bed.
  • Options
    2: what do you have against patriotism?

Patriotism is fine, but do you really think this is patriotic? And what really does the flag mean? It is only a flag. Love your country all you like but to love a flag has no meaning.

And as I have said, we dont really do patriotism like you in the US, we dont like it, it has way too many dodgy conotations for us.
  • Options
    I'm having a flashback to a thread dedicated to the loss in the Madrid bombings, shit looks like that was hypocritical as well.

We had one when it happened, as is entirely proper. But not a year after, and not 4 years after.
  • Options
    I'll be remembering September 11, to be honest.

That would be the day the US funded the coup in Chile of General Pinochet, and thereby sentenced tens of thousands of people to death.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Patriotism is fine, but do you really think this is patriotic? And what really does the flag mean? It is only a flag. Love your country all you like but to love a flag has no meaning.

And as I have said, we dont really do patriotism like you in the US, we dont like it, it has way too many dodgy conotations for us.

A flag does have a meaning; it's a symbol of the values and founding principles of a country. I happen to be a rather big fan of these principles, things like freedom, equality, justice, all very good. And no matter how far our country strays from these principles, and no matter which power hawks try to use it as a war flag, the meaning doesn't change. So yes the flag does have meaning.

I get what you're saying about the dodgy connotations of patriotism. Unfortunately far too many people here have it confused with nationalism.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    We had one when it happened, as is entirely proper. But not a year after, and not 4 years after.

We had one on the anniversary. And I would find it appropriate to have it again.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'll be remembering September 11, to be honest.

That would be the day the US funded the coup in Chile of General Pinochet, and thereby sentenced tens of thousands of people to death.

certainly not our proudest moment.
  • Options
    We had one on the anniversary. And I would find it appropriate to have it again.
    yeah, for you, maybe, but why on earth would we go so grotequely over the top?
  • Options
    A flag does have a meaning; it's a symbol of the values and founding principles of a country.

Actually it's a symbol of the current regime, not just the history.
    I happen to be a rather big fan of these principles, things like freedom, equality, justice, all very good.

Which is why the symbol fails right now. Freedom, equality and justice mean bugger all really when freedoms are being stripped, when equailty means that the poor get left to die and where justice means that you can be detained without trial or right to appeal...
  • Options
    Actually it's a symbol of the current regime, not just the history.
    Since when? Like I said as much as these war hawaking bastards in DC try to use the flag as a symbole for their damn military industrial complex, the true meaning of the flag never changes.
    Which is why the symbol fails right now. Freedom, equality and justice mean bugger all really when freedoms are being stripped, when equailty means that the poor get left to die and where justice means that you can be detained without trial or right to appeal...

They are principles for us to aspire to, and unfortunaly we're doing a crap job of it at the moment. Again the symbole remains the same.
  • Options
    Since when? Like I said as much as these war hawaking bastards in DC try to use the flag as a symbole for their damn military industrial complex, the true meaning of the flag never changes.

Yes it does. Here's an example
    SWASTIKA.gif
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Yes it does. Here's an example
    SWASTIKA.gif
    Charming :rolleyes:

Far as I know the Nazi flag has always stood for Nazism. And if you're talking about the swastika, Nazis believed it was a symbol of good fortune just as other groups who used it did.
  • Options
    So? If I drew a swastika what would it mean?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    So? If I drew a swastika what would it mean?
    I would assume that you would mean it as a symbol of good fortune, but I suppose if you wrote "kill all the Jews" or something next to it the meaning would change distinctly.

as a matter of fact a girl at my school a couple of years ago had a swastika tatoo, she caught all kinds of trouble for it.
  • Options
    You would assume no such thing, and neither would the majority of people on the planet. Welcome to the real world of symbols being transitory.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    yeah, for you, maybe, but why on earth would we go so grotequely over the top?
    lot of people died, how is having a thread about it for more than a year afterwards going over the top?
  • Options
    Maybe you should have another look at those frankly disturbing images, with your rational goggles on preferably.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You would assume no such thing, and neither would the majority of people on the planet.

So by your line of thinking, the flag of the U.S.A. has shifted from symbolizing the principles of the U.S.A. To symbolizing the negative actions and deeds of past (and current) governmental bodies right?

You have my sympathy, life must have a rather stale taste with such a negative attitude.
  • Options
    If it hasn't, why is it burned and defaced in so many countries?
  • Options
    The flag and what it means really dont have all that much relevence. What is the issue is how you remember such a horrid event. Surely you can see that these are tacky and cheap, they do not in any way honour the dead.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    If it hasn't, why is it burned and defaced in so many countries?

because the people of these countries HATE FREEDOM!
    sorry just kidding.

It's burned by people in other countries because the people in these countries are oppressed by the West, the 'leader' of which is the U.S.A. The people of these countries haven't had any experience that would show them that the flag stands for such ideals. All they know is what has happened to them, and to them the U.S.A. is the evil empire, and the flag is the symbol of that empire.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    The flag and what it means really dont have all that much relevence. What is the issue is how you remember such a horrid event. Surely you can see that these are tacky and cheap, they do not in any way honour the dead.

again, that is subjective.
  • Options
    again, that is subjective.

If you died would you like us to remember you that way? With your name and date and the flag as a backdrop?