Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hurricane aftermath

So in the SuperDome, there were suicides and murders, and women were being raped when they went to the toilet. Lots of women were raped, and one young girl at least was stabbed to death- they caught the rapist and everyone lynched him.

The police shot looters and people trying to get help for the rape victims, but didn't bother protecting the women.

The rich of the US just stood and watched, and let the poor drown.

Story.

Given all that, is it fair to say that this wonderful civilisation isn't quite as strong as we'd believe. A disaster and the poor drown, and the women get raped and murdered.

I think it was Man of Kent who said we were four meals from the end of civilisation. I think that's true.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    At the end of the day, who REALLY cares abotu the poor? What are they in the US? A pain in the arse, that is what. So what if they die? A few more will breed and it'll all be ok and back to normal. They are hardy people at the bottom of the ladder, they tend to come back after it all.

That is they way Heiracial society works. Some are more important that other and get helped sooner and more acitvley.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    So in the SuperDome, there were suicides and murders, and women were being raped when they went to the toilet. Lots of women were raped, and one young girl at least was stabbed to death- they caught the rapist and everyone lynched him.

The police shot looters and people trying to get help for the rape victims, but didn't bother protecting the women.

Story.

Given all that, is it fair to say that this wonderful civilisation isn't quite as strong as we'd believe. A disaster and the poor drown, and the women get raped and murdered.

I think it was Man of Kent who said we were four meals from the end of civilisation. I think that's true.

Sad thing is that I would expect much the same thing to happen here too, in similar circumstances.

Don't forget that most of the stories coming out are, as usual for the media, the bad ones. The sensationalistic one about rape, murder, looting etc but you haven't heard about the "help-thy-neighbour" stories which I have no doubt happened.

In a area of devastation that size, with that level of population, there will always be stories like this and there will always be scumbags like this.
  • Options
    Aye my dad knows someone who has taken in 14 people into her house.

However the whole badly managed thing makes me want to go out and slap some people - infact it makes me so unbeliveably angry about a whole lot of things.

Oh and we're sending aid to the americans - I'm finding that really funny!
  • Options
    Why is that funny? Considering the masses of aid the Americans have given prett much everyone through the years, Id say it was about time for some payback.
  • Options
    Why is that funny? Considering the masses of aid the Americans have given prett much everyone through the years, Id say it was about time for some payback.

Name me one good thing America has offered me or you ever, sweet FA. Though I do think we should send aid, they're human beings like us and need as much support as possible.
  • Options

Oh dear, Mat thinks they provide it free. :rolleyes:

The real tragedy here is that those who turned to "the government" to protect and save them (i.e. it's job) were the ones most likely to have something nasty happen to them. Everyone with any sense had fucked off long before.

So, why did these people have no sense of personal responsibility?
  • Options
    Europe would still be a wasteland if it wasnt for the USA - think 1945 and the Marshall plan.
  • Options
    Europe would still be a wasteland if it wasnt for the USA - think 1945 and the Marshall plan.

That would be a recovery plan after they sold stuff including production methods to the nazi's, would it? IBM helped them out a lot too.

They didn't do that for free either.

Same as always, finance both sides, collect the cheques.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    At the end of the day, who REALLY cares abotu the poor? What are they in the US? A pain in the arse, that is what. So what if they die? A few more will breed and it'll all be ok and back to normal. They are hardy people at the bottom of the ladder, they tend to come back after it all.

That is they way Heiracial society works. Some are more important that other and get helped sooner and more acitvley.

go stuff yourself
  • Options
    I tell you what's funny:

Cuba, Iran amongst nations offering help to the US

Oh the irony.

France is also offering help. The US should be grateful. France could just have said "you can now go and buy ration of Freedom Fries and a Freedom Toast and stick it up your arse. Yours faithfully, the cheese-eating surrender monkeys".
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    go stuff yourself
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I tell you what's funny:

Cuba, Iran amongst nations offering help to the US

Oh the irony.

France is also offering help. The US should be grateful. France could just have said "you can now go and buy ration of Freedom Fries and a Freedom Toast and stick it up your arse. Yours faithfully, the cheese-eating surrender monkeys".

yeh and cuba is sending doctors who wont cost the US a single penny - unlike their own ;)
  • Options

You know that the UK has only just finished paying is wartime financial debts to the US, don't you?
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Oh and we're sending aid to the americans - I'm finding that really funny!

I don't, it's right that we do. Why should their shoulder the costs on their own?
  • Options
    yeh and cuba is sending doctors who wont cost the US a single penny - unlike their own ;)

I would be very surprised if that offer from Cuba is taken up, its offered slightly as a bad taste joke for Cuba to look like the bigger man and above all the petty disputes.

The whole relief effort from start to finish was a disgrace, not enough was done to stop it happening and no where near enough was done quickly enough to save the people there.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I would be very surprised if that offer from Cuba is taken up, its offered slightly as a bad taste joke for Cuba to look like the bigger man and above all the petty disputes.
    During the 2000 Presidential election Florida fiasco, Fidel offered to send observers to monitor the recounting process. :D

Sadly his offer was not taken up.
  • Options
    The president of Venesula has offered a million dollars too saying something along the lines of 'we will help them when they cant cope'.
  • Options
    Iran and Afghanistan have offered help as well.

Only need North Korea and Iraq to chip in to complete the set.....
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Story.

Yeah it is sad what's happening, people are cracking up.

I think that if a white affluent city was destroyed Bush would be right on it, but as far as I know, isn't New orleans fairly poor and black?
  • Options
    isn't New orleans fairly poor and black?
    you don't realy keep in touch with the big wide then moon?
  • Options
    you don't realy keep in touch with the big wide then moon?
    Well we see the people in poverty... But I mean are there many important business men living there or whatever? or is it generally a dive that has little economic significance?
  • Options
    Well we see the people in poverty... But I mean are there many important business men living there or whatever? or is it generally a dive that has little economic significance?
    it's a city where all the black people work for the white people.

new orleans port is where most of americas grain is exported to feed the world and bring in currency ...the gulf of mexico ...surely you heard of the gulf?

big oil and petrol thingys going on there ...but now in tatters ...hence the wests petrol prices are rocketing ...you don't realy get involved much with the big wide then?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix

It was offered to you!

The USA is just like Russia, to damn proud to admit it needs help. Even Castro offered Aid, he was prepared to lay aside political differences. Like at the start. So the US spat at him again.

Everyone offered, except Mad Kim and Iraq. But Iraq doesn't have a governemnt who is able to offer help anymore.
  • Options
    do you actualy understand anything about the conditions that go hand in hand with aid?
    my guess is no you don't.
  • Options
    it's a city where all the black people work for the white people.

new orleans port is where most of americas grain is exported to feed the world and bring in currency ...the gulf of mexico ...surely you heard of the gulf?

big oil and petrol thingys going on there ...but now in tatters ...hence the wests petrol prices are rocketing ...you don't realy get involved much with the big wide then?
    Not in the economics of America, no.

Other things I can tell you about, but you can't assume that because somebody doesn't know the economics of one country doesn't mean they know little about the world.
  • Options
    Not in the economics of America, no.

Other things I can tell you about, but you can't assume that because somebody doesn't know the economics of one country doesn't mean they know little about the world.
    economics baffle me ...
  • Options
    economics baffle me ...
    The same here... However I'll probably learn more about what is imported and exported where in university.
  • Options
    The same here... However I'll probably learn more about what is imported and exported where in university.
    more localised economics ...like my wallet ...i understand.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    During the 2000 Presidential election Florida fiasco, Fidel offered to send observers to monitor the recounting process. :D

Sadly his offer was not taken up.

LOL.

Well, good to see that at least some national leaders have a sense of humour!
  • Options
    more localised economics ...like my wallet ...i understand.
    ???

Makes no sense.