Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Spot the difference

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Anyway, fair play to 'em for looting. I'd do the same.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    'cos of course we all know that its only blacks that loot don't we major tom? After all, you used to live near Brixton didn't you, so you know all about it.

all colours will jump at the chance to exploit natural disasters in this way!
  • Options
    well i quite clearly said that people of all colours will jump at the opportunity to exploit these natural disasters. actually i remember there being widespread looting during the brixton riots in 1981, so it's not just restricted to natural disasters. of course, those riots were caused by the racist police, as lord scarman so helpfully pointed out in his subsequent report.
  • Options
    So why no comment then on the papers only showing black people looting? Why the assumption by *DEVIL* that the black man in the photo on the op is looting?
  • Options
    Didn't say that, was replying to the thread where the question was "spot the difference?" so I said one is getting more than the other! Stating a fact! whereas Aladdin seems to be going on dodgy links!
  • Options
    *DEVIL* wrote:
    Didn't say that, was replying to the thread where the question was "spot the difference?" so I said one is getting more than the other! Stating a fact! whereas Aladdin seems to be going on dodgy links!

No, you were making assumptions based on no knowledge. You immediately jumped to the conclusion that the black man was greedy. You didn't even think that maybe he had family and/or friends to feed. No, he must be a greedy looter.
  • Options
    Well I am not the only person making that assupmtion, or assumptions in general, you have nothing to go by by saying that he/she has a family to feed.
  • Options
    *DEVIL* wrote:
    Well I am not the only person making that assupmtion, or assumptions in general, you have nothing to go by by saying that he/she has a family to feed.

I didn't say he has a family to feed - that's the difference between you and me - you assume that he is being greedy, I didn't assume anything.
  • Options
    Whoever loots at least the excellent gun laws in the US mean shopkeepers can shoot intruders.
  • Options
    ...and the looters can shoot back :D
  • Options
    The woman in the second photograph is black though...

I wonder whether aid would have been in New Orleans sooner if it were full of white middle class Christian men?
  • Options
    I wonder whether aid would have been in New Orleans sooner if it were full of white middle class Christian men?

hmm, that's a tricky one........
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Only blacks loot, they have to right to food! Theif! :mad: White people are more important, so are allowed to take some.

Hmm, reminds me of Texas. If a crime is commited, just arreset the nearest black.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    spotthedifference6mm.jpg

Some things, it seems, never change... :rolleyes:

Well look what your beloved left wing BBC has to say about it;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4204304.stm

Scroll down and look at the picture. Oh, and notice the boxes are both the same. Problem solved.
  • Options
    "beloved left wing BBC"? :confused:

Are you on crack?
  • Options
    Whoever loots at least the excellent gun laws in the US mean shopkeepers can shoot intruders.
    That actually depends on what state you're in. In some states they have what we call the "MAKE MY DAY!" law, which essentially says that lethal force is permissible in defense of property. In other states lethal force is only legal in defense of life.

And besides that, no shopkeeper in their right mind would stick around a store that is chin high in water just to make sure nobody steals anything.
  • Options
    It's not the looting I'm bothered about, it's all the raping and rioting.

Forget looters, if they can nick some Nike trainers then let em.

The rapists should be fucking lynched.
  • Options
    [QUOTE='-[MoonRat]
    I wonder whether aid would have been in New Orleans sooner if it were full of white middle class Christian men?[/QUOTE]

The fact that NO has a high black population has nothing to do with the fact aid hasn't reached there quickly, it's quite clearly an infrastructural problem that's heightened by the fact that everyone knew Katrina was going to do a lot of damage before it even hit the coast of America.
  • Options
    Well look what your beloved left wing BBC has to say about it;
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4204304.stm

Scroll down and look at the picture. Oh, and notice the boxes are both the same. Problem solved.

What on earth are you talking about? :confused:
  • Options
    It is thanks to the "excellent" gun laws in the US that the place is in such a disarray in the first place.

I.e., if guns weren't legal and freely available the place would not be the lawless jungle it is at the moment.

It says a lot about the moral breakdown that country is in when the puritanical Wal Mart supermarket chain, which doesn't store any adult material (not even such well known 'hardcore' titles as FHM :rolleyes: ) happily sells a full fucking range of guns and automatic rifles. Guess what has happened at the Wal Mart store in New Orleans... people have broken in and helped themselves to every weapon it had.

Hooray for the brilliant gun freedom the US enjoys! How lucky and free the Americans are for it!
  • Options

Are you being serious?
  • Options
    Its a fair point.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its a fair point.

Do you think that the American government would take the PR disaster risk of delaying aid to the area because it was it had a high population of black folk? The American government are a lot of things but i think the obvious stupidity of such an act wouldn't bypass even them.

I think the delay in aid can certainly be largely contributed to the fact that hundreds of miles of land have been destored and are under water.
  • Options
    I think the delay in aid can certainly be largely contributed to the fact that hundreds of miles of land have been destored and are under water.

So a military machine can invade a nation thousands of miles away, but doesn't have the resources to support their own people?

TBH I don't think that it's as "black and white" as some have suggested, and I do think that geography is playing a huge part. But you do have to ask how well prepared the Govt was.

You also have to ask what Homeland Security have been doing when you consider that the scale of this is not far from the impact of a major terrorist incident. In the UK the emergency plan is the same for both natural and unnatural disasters. I'm wondering if that is the same in the US...
  • Options
    Do you think that the American government would take the PR disaster risk of delaying aid to the area because it was it had a high population of black folk? The American government are a lot of things but i think the obvious stupidity of such an act wouldn't bypass even them.

I don't think its a deliberate ploy, as in "lets let them niggers drown" (although I bet some people do think like that), but there's a definite dragging of heels - New Orleans is a poor area, these people have little power or influence so there's no advantage in rushing to help them.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't think its a deliberate ploy, as in "lets let them niggers drown" (although I bet some people do think like that), but there's a definite dragging of heels - New Orleans is a poor area, these people have little power or influence so there's no advantage in rushing to help them.

I don't think there's any politcal advantage to be gained from rushing to help them. I think there's a lot to be lost from not rushing to help them.
  • Options
    As I said - its not a deliberate ploy. It is however, the logic of capitalism. Switch on the news, you see it everyday.
  • Options
    I'd say the main contributing factor is not so much the help they could have been getting afterwards, but the preventive measures that could have been implemented prior to any such disaster.

Were levees up to scratch and did they offer optimum protection? Many are said to disagree. Apparently there was a lack of cash to deal with all the necessary upgrades and manteneance.

However you could argue that had New Orleans been a rich, mostly white well-to-do area no expense would have been spared in the construction and mainteneance of those defences.
  • Options
    More on this:
    New Orleans flood defence budget cut by nearly half to pay for the war on Iraq

In 2001, FEMA warned that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of the three most likely disasters in the U.S. But the Bush administration cut New Orleans flood control funding by 44 percent to pay for the Iraq war.
    Full story

One more reason why that cunt Bush and his government should put against a wall...
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Bush Governemnt was warned about the WTC attack!

It think it is obvious they couldn't give a flying fuck about their citizens at all. They never prepare, they never act properly after the event, and they do like their long holidays with the citizens money and starting wars with no purpose.

Great Governemnt, eh?