Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Spot the difference

spotthedifference6mm.jpg

Some things, it seems, never change... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He's black, that should be a criminal offence in itself.

Do keep up.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    He's black, that should be a criminal offence in itself.

Do keep up.

looks like a she
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Some things, it seems, never change... :rolleyes:

I think in all fairness that's a pretty tenuous link you've made.
  • Options
    I don't think it is. I think it reflects the institutionalised racism and attitudes that persists in society whereby black citizens are automatically associated with crime much more easily than white citizens.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I don't think it is. I think it reflects the institutionalised racism and attitudes that persists in society whereby black citizens are automatically associated with crime much more easily than white citizens.

i definately agree, far from being tenuous it is the subtlety of the media that makes these associations commonplace and accepted by society. The media is after all the main influence in society today and obviously it is not going to scream it's institutional racism by proclaiming it on the front pages, much better to be subtle and infiltrate the masses like that.
  • Options
    looks like a she

Like you can tell the difference with all these evil looting darkies.

The article does say "young man" though.
  • Options
    Just a thought but isn't the comment gramtically poor too.

How can you find something from a store? You take from or find in surely?

But the thread, I'd say you were spot on Aladdin. Where did you get the tip?
  • Options

You could find something outside a store which was from it, if that was indeed the case then race aside the reports would be accurate. However I doubt the reporter knew this to be fact.
  • Options
    Just a thought but isn't the comment gramtically poor too.

But the thread, I'd say you were spot on Aladdin. Where did you get the tip?

It was posted on U75 earlier today. I don't know where the poster who put it up found it in the first place.
  • Options
    Assuming the same journo wrote both pieces; worst case scenario is a singlular possible racist.
  • Options
    Has anyone stopped and assumed that the black guy might have actually looted the store, and the other people found it floating around.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Has anyone stopped and assumed that the black guy might have actually looted the store, and the other people found it floating around.

No, much easier to cry race discrimination.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

Yes, I have. I doubt it happened like that, especially as the food was found in the shop, not by it.

In the only defence to Yahoo!, the black man does seem to have a few more items with him. Although it looks like he's carrying nappies and tins to me.

On balance, it probably is racial discrimination.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes, I have. I doubt it happened like that, especially as the food was found in the shop, not by it.

In the only defence to Yahoo!, the black man does seem to have a few more items with him. Although it looks like he's carrying nappies and tins to me.

On balance, it probably is racial discrimination.

Strictly if we're using facts: "after finding bread and soda from a local grocery store"

Which suggest to me it could have floated out.
  • Options

If it had floated out the article would have said so.

The key is not what's written, but what is not written.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

Yes.

Do you think that the reporters saw what happened in each case? Isn't taking something without paying theft? Isn't that what we are lead to believe happened in both cases? Why therefore is one described as "looting" and one as "finding"?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    If it had floated out the article would have said so.

Forgive me for treating that as absolute speculation and nothing more.
    The key is not what's written, but what is not written.

Perhaps: "I do hate darkies in case anyone wondered" was what wasn't written?
  • Options
    Yes.

Do you think that the reporters saw what happened in each case? Isn't taking something without paying theft? Isn't that what we are lead to believe happened in both cases? Why therefore is one described as "looting" and one as "finding"?

Someone took the photo did they not? Is it not possible that person related what they saw to the writer of the article or perhaps wrote the article themselves?
  • Options
    Strictly if we're using facts: "after finding bread and soda from a local grocery store"

I'm really at pains to know how the news agency/jouno responsible for the writing know exactly... Do you think they lowered their helicopter and asked the people how and where they "found" the items they were carrying?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm really at pains to know how the news agency/jouno responsible for the writing know exactly... Do you think they lowered their helicopter and asked the people how and where they "found" the items they were carrying?

Well seeing as that's the only possiblity of the people taking the images knowing, then you must be entirely correct. My appologies.
  • Options
    You appear to be missing one essential point: even if those articles mysteriously "floated" from a grocery shop, they were still the property of the grocery shop. So technically speaking those two white people are either looters or thieves.

Unless of course the journalist in question saw the items float away from the grocery shop, followed them as they were carried away by the waters, and finally saw them being picked up by the unsuspecting couple who had no way of knowing the items came from a shop.

Please...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You appear to be missing one essential point: even if those articles mysteriously "floated" from a grocery shop, they were still the property of the grocery shop. So technically speaking those two white people are either looters or thieves.

Unless of course the journalist in question saw the items float away from the grocery shop, followed them as they were carried away by the waters, and finally saw them being picked up by the unsuspecting couple who had no way of knowing the items came from a shop.

Please...

I don't think that there's any "mystery" behind things floating when you've got flooding as extensive as it is there. Also, you'd only have to hover above someone for a couple of seconds to see them happen across those items but we're getting into semantics here.

I'm not suggesting that they didn't loot the items in question. I am suggesting that you've got no evidence to suggest that they did.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

It would be most convenient if that were the case, but in all likelihood it isn't. The same garbage finds it's way onto TV. News as well. I remember this lady showing clips of looters and just carrying on and on about how brazen and disrespectful they were, but then later in the show they showed a clip of a white couple that were "foraging" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I don't think that there's any "mystery" behind things floating when you've got flooding as extensive as it is there. Also, you'd only have to hover above someone for a couple of seconds to see them happen across those items but we're getting into semantics here.

I'm not suggesting that they didn't loot the items in question. I am suggesting that you've got no evidence to suggest that they did.
    No I don't. Then again I don't have any evidence either that the black man looted anything.

The fact remains that from what we have been told by the journalist(s) themselves is all but impossible that the couple was doing anything other than looting. The wording accompanying the image in question seems particularly poor and a blatant attempt to exonerate the couple from any wrongdoing. If only the black man had been extended the same treatment...
  • Options
    who "Loots" bread and soda ?

looked like they both had bags filled with items.

Could be because of the different items found
  • Options
    I think the difference is that a BIG bag of stuff would suggest greed and glutony feasting? nah not really required!

the essentials - well we all need to eat and drink.
  • Options
    Maybe they had a family to feed?
  • Options
    coincidentally, there was a large photo in the dailyhatenaziwhitetrashtorymail, which depicted blacks " removing " items from a sports shop in new orleans. as we all know the daily mail is merely a tool of the fourth reich, however, the fact that these people were balancing boxes of nike shoes and several pairs of jeans would suggest that they were looting, rather than " foraging or finding " survival essentials. people of all colours will jump at the chance to exploit natural disasters in this way, it's hardly helpful to start the usual bleating about racism. the saddest thing is not the nasty racist journalist, but the fact that the police are having to divert manpower away from the search and rescue operation to deal with thieving scum.
  • Options
    'cos of course we all know that its only blacks that loot don't we major tom? After all, you used to live near Brixton didn't you, so you know all about it.