Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

BBC 'run by women'

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Almost certainly...it was a different society back then, it's hardly as though males developed this new metrosexual gene in the past decade. It's just acceptable these days, and I think it's down to attitudes among society
    I never said that they had.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    I've certainly never "competed" for a woman.

Never had a wash, a shave, or put on some smelly shit before going out?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

:lol:

You know he's talking shit, of course he's went out some nights gagging for some cunt, who hasn't for fucks sakes!
  • Options
    I never said that they had.

Do you want me? lol
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

You know he's talking shit, of course he's went out some nights gagging for some cunt, who hasn't for fucks sakes!

You put things so nicley mate! :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

Eh? What's that got to do with "competing"?

But no, I never put on "some smelly shit".
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

charming, and exactly the sort of attitude I was talking about
  • Options
    Blagsta, do you live in the 21st century?
  • Options
    Blagsta, do you live in the 21st century?

Yes thanks. And you?
  • Options
    Sounds like you live in an age without deodorant to me.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Eh? What's that got to do with "competing"?

Why else do you put effort into your appearance then?

Because if you never shaved, wore rags, and stank to high heaven you'd find it pretty difficult to get a bird or even a job - where as other people who looked and smelt nicer would.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Men don't have to put in nearly as much effort to look nice as women do though. We have to straighten our hair, pull in our stomachs, wear something sexually appealing... Shave our legs, pluck our eyebrows, cleans, tone, moisturise, do our nails, walk in nearly impossible shoes... And that's for a night out.

We're not supposed to eat certain foods (ever noticed how chocolate is associated with words like 'sinful' or 'devilish'?) because they'll make us fat and then people can openly mock us for being big, lazy... Of course men have these pressures too, although perhaps not to the same extent. I think men do have to look good... Personally I would not go out with somebody who looked like a bum and smealt like an armpit.
  • Options
    We're not supposed to eat certain foods (ever noticed how chocolate is associated with words like 'sinful' or 'devilish'?) because they'll make us fat and then people can openly mock us for being big, lazy... Of course men have these pressures too, although perhaps not to the same extent.

slightly off topic but theres nothing wrong with chocolate, as long as you dont constantly snack or binge on the stuff.

and they say devilish and sexy in adverts to make seem appealing like a guilty pleasure so to speak, strange but true

and also in chocolate they sell a chocolate bar with less than 100 calories per bar now, from reading the back it only has 10 calories less (515 compared to 525) than the normal its just far smaller so in other words an utter con!
  • Options
    Because it's fashionable and different to how men used to be. Do you think that in the fifties men went to get their cuticles done?

It's not a recent thing. Go back to the C18th century and there was plenty of flamboyant, camply dressed fops with a obsession for fashion. This lot would probably put your average "meterosexual" to shame.

The main reason modern men are getting their cuticles done, and going to lengths with their appearance, is to get women. End of.
  • Options
    slightly off topic but theres nothing wrong with chocolate, as long as you dont constantly snack or binge on the stuff.

and they say devilish and sexy in adverts to make seem appealing like a guilty pleasure so to speak, strange but true
    But why is it 'guilty'?

Because it's high in calories.
  • Options
    Sounds like you live in an age without deodorant to me.

Eh? I dunno how you draw that conclusion, apart from you being a total pillock of course.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Why else do you put effort into your appearance then?

Because if you never shaved, wore rags, and stank to high heaven you'd find it pretty difficult to get a bird or even a job - where as other people who looked and smelt nicer would.

Its not about "competing" for me, it never has been. Its about meeting someone who I fancy but also get on with as a human being, someone I can have decent conversations with, someone I can emotionally connect to - it ain't a fucking football match.

And yes, I'm happily in love thanks for asking.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    It's not a recent thing. Go back to the C18th century and there was plenty of flamboyant, camply dressed fops with a obsession for fashion. This lot would probably put your average "meterosexual" to shame.

The main reason modern men are getting their cuticles done, and going to lengths with their appearance, is to get women. End of.

Nothing to do with the media or advertising then? Nothing to do with cosmetic companies looking to expand markets?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    Nothing to do with the media or advertising then? Nothing to do with cosmetic companies looking to expand markets?

Yes, they bought it back into fashion!

Bastards!
  • Options
    Its not about "competing" for me, it never has been. Its about meeting someone who I fancy but also get on with as a human being, someone I can have decent conversations with, someone I can emotionally connect to - it ain't a fucking football match.

Well said. How did she choose you again, out of the hundreds of men she could have?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its not about "competing" for me, it never has been.

You may not be having arm wrestles with other blokes over who taking 'whats her name' home, but by conforming to fashion and other certain standards you are competing.

Why esle would you take pride in your appearance?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You may not be having arm wrestles with other blokes over who taking 'whats her name' home, but by conforming to fashion and other certain standards you are competing.

Why esle would you take pride in your appearance?

Eh? So my g/f loves me for the way I dress? Shallow simplistic bollocks.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

And yes, I'm happily in love thanks for asking.

Yes and by you enhancing your appearance you're "comepeting" with other men to get her attention and then do all the emotional human connections.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Eh? So my g/f loves me for the way I dress? Shallow simplistic bollocks.

I'm sure she'd love a little less if you were dresses in rags and stunk to high heaven.

Why do you take pride in you appearance?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    I'm sure she'd love a little less if you were dresses in rags and stunk to high heaven.

Why do you take pride in you appearance?

You're being absurdly simplistic. Of course she likes me to look nice, but its not really why she is with me.*

*although of course I am super sexy
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    *although of course I am super sexy

Aye I believe ya ;)

Seriously though, not talking about your G/f, but are you seriously trying to tell me that you've never ever done yourself up and went out for the sole purpose of talking a girl home?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're being absurdly simplistic.

But it is that simple. You're chances of 'pulling' are directly related to how you dress and how you smell etc
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Aye I believe ya ;)

Seriously though, not talking about your G/f, but are you seriously trying to tell me that you've never ever done yourself up and went out for the sole purpose of talking a girl home?

Yes, I have in the past. Mainly due to my inability to commit emotionally, issues with intimacy and my need to make myself feel better by shagging a stranger. Not a very emotionally healthy state to be in.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Not a very emotionally healthy state to be in.

Yes but understandable nonetheless...I have a problem commiting emotionally, mainly due to my own upbringing but it doesn't stop me wanting to have sex with girls.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Yes but understandable nonetheless...I have a problem commiting emotionally, mainly due to my own upbringing but it doesn't stop me wanting to have sex with girls.

Yes, but I would suggest that the commodification of relationships in our society might be contributing in some way to your inability to commit emotionally? Contributing to the notion that a healthy relationship is actually some sort of "competition" to get laid?