Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does God exist?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The existence of a deity is not dependant on any book, nor in any way relevant to any religion. You need to get away from that thought.

I'm only after comin off a 2 hour conversaton with my da about God and the universe, and i'll tell ya what, my dad is smarter than me you blagsta the whole fuckinhg lot put together and truth is that we came to the conclusion that we came from star dust, deny it all you can but we're made out of star dust, if you believe in God, you believe God made the star dust, if you don't you're either an antheist or a misguided fool
  • Options
    But you cannot prove whether the actions you observe are "natural" or the result of divine intervention.

You can prove that if you release a ball from the top of the Eiffel Tower, it will fall to the ground. That's science. Science cannot explain why it happens, just record that it does and theorise the why.

Religion argues that the reason it fall is because God designed things that way.

When you take one arguement over the other, then you do so on the basis of faith. You believe one over the other, but both could equally be wrong.

Now i'm no scientist, far from it in fact, but hasn't gravity been explained by the fact the closer you are to a massive object then the stronger the effects of gravity?
  • Options
    Honestly? I don't think the Old Testement was originally created to be believed literally, I think it's symbollic, as is most of the Bible.

I'd like to say I'm a scientist... I don't believe in fantasies like romantic love, I don't believe in heaven and hell in the afterlife, I don't believe there is a sentient God watching over us...

However, there's still a part of me that's drawn towards spiritualism, I like the idea of deities as pure energy, like branches of a greater tree that bring people inspiration... I like the idea of the seven principles of the Hermetic Law and I'm currently reading up on Buddhism, which whilst it appears atheist, I think the idea of universal love and Nirvana in itself is very spiritual.

I think that people take the idea of 'God' too literally... They're comparing their own experiences to those in religious texts. I think by deciding 'God is this' or 'God is that' that we're limiting ourselves by blocking out all possibilities of what could be out there.
  • Options
    The existence of a deity is not dependant on any book, nor in any way relevant to any religion. You need to get away from that thought.
    Exactly...
  • Options
    God exists and he's so tired of people asking this question that he told me when you die, you have to make love to that screaming Inman with the hooks for hands before he'll let you into heaven. Please don't hate me for telling you...I'm just the messenger. :hyper:
  • Options
    But you cannot prove whether the actions you observe are "natural" or the result of divine intervention.

You can prove that if you release a ball from the top of the Eiffel Tower, it will fall to the ground. That's science. Science cannot explain why it happens, just record that it does and theorise the why.

Religion argues that the reason it fall is because God designed things that way.

When you take one arguement over the other, then you do so on the basis of faith. You believe one over the other, but both could equally be wrong.

one never tries to improve upon the initial observation and turn it into anything useful, thats the difference, no scientist should have the definitive answer to what something is and leave it at that, thats why scientific knowledge continously updates itself

i have no idea what mass is, cause really we only experience its force nothing else, that doesnt mean we should leave it as "we dont know what mass is so its gods work and leave it at that"

its a hard point to bring across but religion has not improved our understanding of the world, they keep changing their stance, for example up to 200 years ago a christian would of argued the world is only a few thousand years old and left it at that, nowadays when radioactive dating and placed the earth at 4.5 billion years (thanks for the correction nash i forgot :$) they said oh human life is a thousand years old and if the big bang did happen then its gods work

imo religious people have done sod all to help this along, science in its nature requires continual questiong, even of established 'facts' like when einstein done relativity when newtonian gravity was seen to be the main thing, and since quantum theory works to a good extent we are trying to put gravity into it. Relativity works on big scales, newtonian works on day to day scales and quantum tends to be observed in the below microscopic realms. even if as we do this there are peopel trying to combine all the fields of physics into one, so far theyve managed to associate electromagnetic radiation and the weak nuclear force, minus the higgs boson particle which hasnt been observed yet

oh i could go on for dayd its really interesting
  • Options
    God exists and he's so tired of people asking this question that he told me when you die, you have to make love to that screaming Inman with the hooks for hands before he'll let you into heaven. Please don't hate me for telling you...I'm just the messenger. :hyper:

If that hadn't made me laugh so much, i'm sure i'd find it offensive.

Is it specifically the man with hooks for hand that i have to make sweet love to, because to be fair, if he gets a little carried away...
  • Options
    one never tries to improve upon the initial observation and turn it into anything useful, thats the difference, no scientist should have the definitive answer to what something is and leave it at that, thats why scientific knowledge continously updates itself

i have no idea what mass is, cause really we only experience its force nothing else, that doesnt mean we should leave it as "we dont know what mass is so its gods work and leave it at that"

its a hard point to bring across but religion has not improved our understanding of the world, they keep changing their stance, for example up to 200 years ago a christian would of argued the world is only a few thousand years old and left it at that, nowadays when radioactive dating and placed the earth at 4.5 billion years (thanks for the correction nash i forgot :$) they said oh human life is a thousand years old and if the big bang did happen then its gods work

imo religious people have done sod all to help this along, science in its nature requires continual questiong, even of established 'facts' like when einstein done relativity when newtonian gravity was seen to be the main thing, and since quantum theory works to a good extent we are trying to put gravity into it. Relativity works on big scales, newtonian works on day to day scales and quantum tends to be observed in the below microscopic realms. even if as we do this there are peopel trying to combine all the fields of physics into one, so far theyve managed to associate electromagnetic radiation and the weak nuclear force, minus the higgs boson particle which hasnt been observed yet

oh i could go on for dayd its really interesting

Just because somebody is religious does not make them a Luddite does it? Just because you believe in God does not mean that you don't believe in gravity, or that you think God makes apples fall from trees. I'm sure there are a lot of scientists out there who believe in God.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    carbon dating can prove how old something is, that's unequivocal proof, not some theory

You'd have to prove that carbon dating was unequivocal first.

To do that properly you'd have to sit down and watch carbon 14 decay and time it...several times. You'd have to be sure that the instruments you use have no error and you'd have to find out that carbon 14 always decays at the same rate regardless of the environmental conditions.

There is an isotope of thorium that has a half-life of 47 billion years.
  • Options
    Just because somebody is religious does not make them a Luddite does it? Just because you believe in God does not mean that you don't believe in gravity, or that you think God makes apples fall from trees. I'm sure there are a lot of scientists out there who believe in God.

oh there are im mates with a morman who does pharmocology, very interesting debates about evolution :) however all he ever thinks of is darwinian evlolution but he has some interesting info on some bacteria that just shouldnt exist cause they dont have a tail like the other species so cant get through water so quickly

im trying to get my point across but its hard to do, its like hmmm that religious thought hasnt improved anything, it takes CURRENT scientific basic ideas and then argues as it has flaws there must some higher being cause we dont know it all, when we know more than what we knew 100 years ago and will know more in 100 years time

really difficult concept to convey, much like quantum theory :crazyeyes

part of the difficulty is that previously technology came before the science, and were level 1900-1920 but nowdays theres far more theoretical than there is stuff that we have the ability to observe how useful it is, mainly due to the advancement of computers and mathematical methods
  • Options
    You'd have to prove that carbon dating was unequivocal first.

To do that properly you'd have to sit down and watch carbon 14 decay and time it...several times. You'd have to be sure that the instruments you use have no error and you'd have to find out that carbon 14 always decays at the same rate regardless of the environmental conditions.

There is an isotope of thorium that has a half-life of 47 billion years.

thats what they use to date the earth

and according to current belief environment has no effect on half lives, however since it is in really a probability bas process only the 1st few half lives tend to be useful as theres enough of a sample to measure
  • Options
    you know what, theres not enough multi god systems these days :p
  • Options
    Now i'm no scientist, far from it in fact, but hasn't gravity been explained by the fact the closer you are to a massive object then the stronger the effects of gravity?

Gravity is the name given to the sceintific recording of small items being attracted to larger one.

Why that happens is just a theory.

I don't argue that science isn't the quest for a better understand of the "why" questions. My argument is that the quest doesn't rule out the possibility of the existence of a deity, and more to the point that the two aren't exclusive anyway.
  • Options
    Gravity is the name given to the sceintific recording of small items being attracted to larger one.

I don't argue that science isn't the quest for a better understand of the "why" questions. My argument is that the quest doesn't rule out the possibility of the existence of a deity, and more to the point that the two aren't exclusive anyway.

I agree with you, but surely the presence of unanswered questions doesn't infer anything more than the a question awaiting an answer?

I think if there's a God, then it's not a God that is anything like the those that are referenced in, and spoon fed, by religious texts. I think the idea that God made man in his own image is a nice, easily digestable idea that allows simple relation and an immediate understanding of religious ideas.
  • Options
    "Is it specifically the man with hooks for hand that i have to make sweet love to, because to be fair, if he gets a little carried away..."

:chin: Excuse while God ponders. Oh, good news, Mr. Hook can be substituted. You may choose to make love to the politician who has officially called an end to multiculturalism as a means to more tolerance. :crazyeyes

Personally I acutally may have a calling. I feel God run through me...never mind. It's just my cell on "vibrate." :shocking:
  • Options
    I studied A-level Religious Studies. We did philosophy of religion and there is plenty of evidence to argue both sides,however evolution is very strong!I do not doubt there is a creator of some kind,but I disagree with a classical theist God! (all loving,all knowing,all powerful) with the problem of evil there are too many arguments against an all loving God. And no matter what Christians will never accept other peoples views, they simply die the death of a 1000 qualifications (meaning they come up with random solutions,even if it makes no sense they will never shut up) no offence to those religious. As I say I can believe in a creator but not a classical theist God.
  • Options
    billybob87 wrote:
    I studied A-level Religious Studies. We did philosophy of religion and there is plenty of evidence to argue both sides,however evolution is very strong!I do not doubt there is a creator of some kind,but I disagree with a classical theist God! (all loving,all knowing,all powerful) with the problem of evil there are too many arguments against an all loving God. And no matter what Christians will never accept other peoples views, they simply die the death of a 1000 qualifications (meaning they come up with random solutions,even if it makes no sense they will never shut up) no offence to those religious. As I say I can believe in a creator but not a classical theist God.
    I don't understand what the hell you're getting at here... If you believe that there is a creator then you believe in a theist deity. Do you mean an omnipotent God?

You cannot say Christians won't accept other people's views, how many Christians do you know? Because I've met plenty who accept I have different views towards them.

I really hope you didn't write your exams papers like this.
  • Options
    no cos we didnt do arguin are selves we just wrote what certain philosophers said.No to believe in a creator does not mean u have to believe in the theist God!
    Most scientists will say that they can accept there is a creator but not classical theist,just one that simply created the world.I can believe ina creator that is powerful but not omniscient and not omnibenevolent.
    And I was simply wrinting what one scholar said that i agree with 'death of a thousand qualifications'.
  • Options
    I agree with you, but surely the presence of unanswered questions doesn't infer anything more than the a question awaiting an answer?

... and scientific "discovery" is nothing more than than the realisation of existing potential...
  • Options
    the scientific believe what they prove, the religious try to prove what they already believe
  • Options
    just 2 clarify, do u believe in God or not?
  • Options
    openminded wrote:
    just 2 clarify, do u believe in God or not?

Who? Which God?
  • Options
    you! every one else stated their view duh
  • Options
    a) What difference does it make?

b) How do you know that openminded meant me?
  • Options
    isnt that the point of a debate,and I bet u im right,she meant u!
  • Options
    please try to avoid the text talk, ain't an uphill struggle to type 'you'
  • Options

oh no i agree fully they arent exclusive, however people who believe in a deity tend to support not further studying these things which means im less like belive in a deity of sorts, hard to explain, but hmm, we wouldnt get anywhere if people stuck at their religious beliefs, yes theres scientific peopel who beleive sin a higher being however they dont elss this get in the way of their studies

small and large what exactly? mass, well then what is mass other than the proportionality constant between the force of one particle comapred to another
  • Options
    Again though, you are caught up in the trap of religion and belief in the existence of a deity.

Science excites me, I love the idea of explaining the unexplained, of hearing new theories about why things happen. I also love the idea that somewhere there's someone watching over our quest, recording what we do, as if we are part of a larger experiment...
  • Options
    Again though, you are caught up in the trap of religion and belief in the existence of a deity.

Science excites me, I love the idea of explaining the unexplained, of hearing new theories about why things happen. I also love the idea that somewhere there's someone watching over our quest, recording what we do, as if we are part of a larger experiment...
    We are, and the mice are watching us closely.

:p
  • Options
    Einstein thought that science proved god because it was so wonderous.

All that god and universe dice rolling stuff makes me wonder too.