Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does God exist?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whilst I personally don't believe in the Creationist argument - it is impossible to proove it is wrong. The creationists argument is that fossils etc were placed by God (possibly to test our faith). Now whilst I tend to belive this argument is barking I cannot actually proove that they're not right.

And God may exist and be an evil bigotted git, who hates sodomy, sex before marriage, idolators etc (though just in case he's reading this I probably ought to say I don't think that's true and think he's a great deity - who wouldn't hold things like masturbation against me)
  • Options
    i believe if there is a God, he created or was the first matter in space, then what happened from there was luck/destiny
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Whilst I personally don't believe in the Creationist argument - it is impossible to proove it is wrong. The creationists argument is that fossils etc were placed by God (possibly to test our faith). Now whilst I tend to belive this argument is barking I cannot actually proove that they're not right.

"I asked this guy, I said, 'Come on man, Dinosaur fossils. What's the deal?' 'Dinosaur fossils? God put those there to test our faith.' 'I think God put you here to test my faith, dude. You believe that?' 'Uh huh.' Does that trouble anyone here? The idea that God might be fuckin' with our heads? Anyone have trouble sleeping restfully with that thought in their heads? God's running around, burrying fossils: 'Hu hu ho. We will see who believes in me now, ha HA. Im a prankster god. I am killing me. Ho ho ho ho.' You know, you die, you go to St. Peter, 'Did you you believe in dinosaurs?" "Well, you know, there was fossils everywhere.' [Bill makes sound effects with his mic] KOOM Aaaahhhh. 'What are you, an idiot? God was FUCKING with you! Giant flying lizards, you moron! That's one of God's easiest jokes!' 'It seemed so plausibleeeee! Ahhhhhhhh!' Bound for the lake of fire. . . . While I appreciate your quiant traditions, supersitions, and, you know, I on the other hand am an evolved being who deals soley with the source of light which exists in all of us, in our own minds, no middle man required. [laughs] But anyway, I appreciate your little games and shit, you putting on the tie and going to church, a de da de da. But you know there's a LIVING GOD WHO WILL TALK DIRECTLY FUCKING TO YOU. Sorry, but not too many pages of the Bible that FORGOT TO MENTION DINOSAURS!"

RIP Bill.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    i think it has long been proven that the earth is more than 5,000 years old,

Proven?

By whom. or are you believing what has been written?

Why is something more believable because a scientist says it is so?
    Aladdin wrote:
    what is also beyond doubt is that mankind did not descend from a single couple

I may be wrong but my understanding is that even evolution supports that...
  • Options
    Proven?

By whom. or are you believing what has been written?

Why is something more believable because a scientist says it is so?

carbon dating can prove how old something is, that's unequivocal proof, not some theory
  • Options
    Either way we go, whether science or religion, is based on an element of faith.
  • Options
    Either way we go, whether science or religion, is based on an element of faith.

not really, science can be proved with experiments and observation, the existence of God can only be believed if you have faith, there's no experiments you can do that prove there's a God, there are experiments you can do to tell how old the earth is.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yes, God exists.

I don't think she is interventionist, but she's there.

I don't believe in an interventionist God
    But I know, darling, that you do
    But if I did I would kneel down and ask Him
    Not to intervene when it came to you
    Not to touch a hair on your head
    To leave you as you are
    And if He felt He had to direct you
    Then direct you into my arms

:D
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't believe in an interventionist God
    But I know, darling, that you do
    But if I did I would kneel down and ask Him
    Not to intervene when it came to you
    Not to touch a hair on your head
    To leave you as you are
    And if He felt He had to direct you
    Then direct you into my arms

:D

Oddly enough I had that very song in my head when I was posting this:)

Turlough: you only have faith that that is the case. You read it in a book. The conspiracy nuts can write books saying that Interflora did 11/9 because of x, y and z.

You also seem to have been reading His Dark Materials. Which do raise some very interesting points about metaphysics and existence.

Aladdin: evolution would tend to support the idea that we did, in fact, come from a single couple. That's how survival of the fittest works.

Dinosaurs were never omitted by the bible, they just werent specifically mentioned. Reptiles were mentioned as coming before people, and that is all a dinosaur was. If that makes sense. The "days" of creation tend to support the idea of evolutionary periods.

Coathanger: o a lngwidge lsn!!! jst w0t i nd!!! 111oneoneeleven!2!!
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Turlough: you only have faith that that is the case. You read it in a book. The conspiracy nuts can write books saying that Interflora did 11/9 because of x, y and z.

haha...i don't think a comparison like that is plausible, yes i heard about carbon dating on TV or read it in a book, the thing is, if i really wanted, i could go to a laboratory, find out the scientifics of it all and carry the experiment out myself, conspiracy theories and God are what could be out there, science is what's out there.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Dinosaurs were never omitted by the bible, they just werent specifically mentioned. Reptiles were mentioned as coming before people, and that is all a dinosaur was. If that makes sense. The "days" of creation tend to support the idea of evolutionary periods.

Where are reptiles mentioned in the Bible?
  • Options
    btw when i say i think evolution happened i dont mean its purely darwinian as theres studies to show some species co-operate as well, symbiotic relationships etc etc like urchins on crabs etc

we dont know enough yet and i dont think you say "darwinian evolutionary theroy has flaws so therefore evolution didnt happen" as i reckon it happened but theres more than one factor involved, survival of the fittest is flung around, when its not the be all and end all of things
  • Options
    tom waits singing in the background ...'gods away on business.'

the bible says ...'everything was created through gods dynamic energy' ...sounds pretty scientiffic to me knowing what we know now.

god lives in the space betwween all the atoms ...for whoever was talking earlier about a universe without matter.

the human race coming from a single couple ...? evolusionists are now accepting another nail in the coffin of their 19th century theory ...
    the genetic code ...must have been written and programmed by someone ...accidental chemical spillages do not dissolvce rocks and turn them into complex life forms.

if the human race didn't come from a single couple then what the hell do you believe ...that an improbable ...impossible series of accidents ...billions of them ...started creating humans all over the place!?

i veiw people who don't SEE creation as missing out on something very deep ...the fact that we are very very special and incredibly important creations ...

someone please show me where in the bible it says you will burn in hell for masturbating ...come on ...you all walk around with this mythical crap in your heads regarding god becuase ...of religion.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Where are reptiles mentioned in the Bible?
    Isn't it alluded to as one of the seven days- the birds and snakes and the rest of it?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Isn't it alluded to as one of the seven days- the birds and snakes and the rest of it?

You tell me, you're the one stating it.
  • Options

the bible says ...'everything was created through gods dynamic energy' ...sounds pretty scientiffic to me knowing what we know now.

Which verse is that then?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Which verse is that then?
    i'll be back!
  • Options
    isiah 40 :26 ...for now ...
  • Options
    isiah 40 :26 ...for now ...

Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.

:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth out their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is strong in power; not one faileth.

even brixton will have a thingy me bob which i have forgotten the name of right now but ...it gives you the original language with the CORRECT translation ...believe me ...it's dynamic energy ...
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

by the wy ...i'm impressed muchly how quick you checked that out ...fuck brixton library man ...your connected!
  • Options
    even brixton will have a thingy me bob which i have forgotten the name of right now but ...it gives you the original language with the CORRECT translation ...believe me ...it's dynamic energy ...

It only seems to be the Jehova's Witnesses who have that translation.
  • Options
    by the wy ...i'm impressed muchly how quick you checked that out ...fuck brixton library man ...your connected!

Its called the internet maaaaan
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    It only seems to be the Jehova's Witnesses who have that translation.
    i'll check that out.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    carbon dating can prove how old something is, that's unequivocal proof, not some theory

its not carbon dating as that s only effective up to erm 5/6 half lives like erm 30,000yrs

you use elements like uranium to check how old the earth is, and if you analyse the moon, its the same age as the earth....

the earths erm 3.5 billion years old, the moon (as a seprate thing is 3 billion yrs old) and live is 2.5 billion years old

and the dating method is extremwly accurate

ps the figure im not too sure of as i havent read anything since doing my 1st year astronomy course at uni (which btw even said big bang was a theory, since we're yet to improve upon it)

the important thing is you cant say "we know what this is" - no reasonable scientist would ever say this for debatabal issues, since we really are unsure, there some are something like the almost uniform universe temperature which if current estimate of universe expansion are true, it couldnt work for example due to the distances being further than information could travel to form an equilibrium

we dont know, that isnt enough evidence to say god is at work, it just meansw e need to study and observe more to understand or get some idea of what is happening

and back on topic, as a scientist, the best way of describing god would be if you could observe all 4 dimnesions at once, since we can only see all 3
  • Options
    the earths erm 3.5 billion years old

Just off by a billion years mate, 4.5 billion years is correct ;)
  • Options
    yea god created the animals on the whatever day and the next day he created humans bla bla bla fucking blah :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's all crap, i've read a good bit of the bible, and i'll admit some of it makes sense, in fact i draw a lot of my beliefs from it, but in reality most of it is complete balls!!!
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    not really, science can be proved with experiments and observation

But you cannot prove whether the actions you observe are "natural" or the result of divine intervention.

You can prove that if you release a ball from the top of the Eiffel Tower, it will fall to the ground. That's science. Science cannot explain why it happens, just record that it does and theorise the why.

Religion argues that the reason it fall is because God designed things that way.

When you take one arguement over the other, then you do so on the basis of faith. You believe one over the other, but both could equally be wrong.
  • Options
    But you cannot prove whether the actions you observe are "natural" or the result of divine intervention.

You can prove that if you release a ball from the top of the Eiffel Tower, it will fall to the ground. That's science. Science cannot explain why it happens, just record that it does and theorise the why.

Religion argues that the reason it fall is because God designed things that way.

haha you would not believe how much i'm laughing ritenow. partly cos i'm pissed but otherwise, anyone can say "God wants you to think this...bls bla bla" but lets look at life in reality, we dpon't nhave a fucking clue, not even a fuckin book can explain why we're here, i'd rather look at it from real pont of view than some "god put us here do question ourselves piunt of vieww' get real please
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    not even a fuckin book can explain why we're here,

The existence of a deity is not dependant on any book, nor in any way relevant to any religion. You need to get away from that thought.