Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shooting in S London........

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kaffrin wrote:
    it was said he was 'asian-looking'. is it possible he was foreign and actually didn't know what 'stop, police' meant? just saw running men with guns?

one to ponder.

The poor sod might have thought some fucking vigilante group were after him. If 3, probably quite big guys, in plain clothes told you they were the police and to stop, then came running towards you, would you automatically believe them?
  • Options
    Story

Got to love this: "A Scotland Yard statement said the shooting was a "tragedy" which was regretted by the Metropolitan Police."

Talk about understatement of the fucking year.

The police shoot a man, in public, for what appear to be little more than being asian and running away, and then they call it a "tragedy". It's a fucking outrage.
  • Options
    The poor sod might have thought some fucking vigilante group were after him. If 3, probably quite big guys, in plain clothes told you they were the police and to stop, then came running towards you, would you automatically believe them?

so its ok to resist arrest if you dont think you have done anything wrong, or just because you dont understand a cease and desist order from an officer of the law
  • Options
    Who's to say he knew they were police officers? I'm willing to bet they never flashed a badge. Maybe he just legged it from 3 guys he thought were going to beat the shit out of him for being Asian.
  • Options
    The police shoot a man, in public, for what appear to be little more than being asian and running away, and then they call it a "tragedy". It's a fucking outrage.

It does seem that in this case the police fucked up (and if some of the witness statements are to be believed the shooter may be up for murder). But the thing is if you have men with guns defending us they as individuals will make mistakes. The only way this isn't going to happen again in the future is to have a totally disarmed military and police. I'm not sure that's the way forward.
  • Options
    As a member of the community and a user of the public transport system here in London, if the man wouldn't comply with armed Police request's to stand still whist being searched etc, then sorry, the man had a death wish and deserved to be trialed and executed.

With regards to the shooting of Harry from Hackeny R.I.P, the person who phoned the Police in the first place should be hunted down for giving false information to the Police, saying that he was carrying a 'piece'. The last i heard, he took up a boxers stance when asked to stand still by the Police, so they thought he was ready to let one off. (what you really gonna do? let a side by side splatter you?)

Cruel but harsh, You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

So innocent people deserve to be shot? Yeah man, right on.

Scratch a hippy, find a fascist.
  • Options
    Who's to say he knew they were police officers? I'm willing to bet they never flashed a badge. Maybe he just legged it from 3 guys he thought were going to beat the shit out of him for being Asian.

i guess thats all any armed robber has to do now, say they didnt think the people chasing them were police, then they can gain the right to sue
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    so its ok to resist arrest if you dont think you have done anything wrong

Erm, yes.

If you have done nothing wrong then the police have no right to arrest you, surely?

Let alone pull guns on you.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i guess thats all any armed robber has to do now, say they didnt think the people chasing them were police, then they can gain the right to sue

Don't be stupid.

There's a big difference between Armed Police in riot gear with flashing cars and 3 plain clothed police officers with a handgun.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Hindight is a wonderful thing.
    It's a tragedy yes, but if a similar situation arose again I hpe the same tactics would be used.
    The police were forced to make a split second decision by the actions of the dead man.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    It does seem that in this case the police fucked up (and if some of the witness statements are to be believed the shooter may be up for murder). But the thing is if you have men with guns defending us they as individuals will make mistakes. The only way this isn't going to happen again in the future is to have a totally disarmed military and police. I'm not sure that's the way forward.

I was always lead to believe that one of the things which made this country "great" was our sense of justice. In fact I was lead to believe that it was admired and copied in many other countries around the world.

Wasn't it the UK which developed the jury system? The concept of innocence until guilt is proven?

So, as part of our PMs "not letting the terrorists change our way of life", we now have armed police shooting people dead because of a suspicion. I'd say that was a pretty fucking fundamental change to our way of life, wouldn't you?

As I said at the start. Part of me is reassured that the police will take strong action against terrorists. But the main part of me is worried that events like this will become more commonplace and, as some of the press reports today and some of the comments here, they will become accepted as "sometimes the police will make mistakes". Sorry I will not accept it.

What we are talking about here is the execution of an [apparently] innocent man. The very thing we are supposed to be fighting to prevent.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    It's a tragedy yes, but if a similar situation arose again I hpe the same tactics would be used.

Hmm, right up until it's you, your brother, a friend etc.

Whose life are you happy to give up, or is it just asian people who should live with that fear?
  • Options
    If any of you were in the position of the police, you would've probably done the same thing, I would have. Eyewitnesses reported that there were uniformed officers in the station as well, not just plain-clothes officers.
  • Options
    The police officers should be getting tried, convicted and jailied for life for murder. No parole.

I do have a sneaky suspicion that the "police" came from Vauxhall though...
  • Options
    It wasn't the uniformed officers who shouted at and chased him though, was it?
  • Options
    Vauxhall?

Surely Hereford...
  • Options
    I was always lead to believe that one of the things which made this country "great" was our sense of justice. In fact I was lead to believe that it was admired and copied in many other countries around the world.

Wasn't it the UK which developed the jury system? The concept of innocence until guilt is proven?

So, as part of our PMs "not letting the terrorists change our way of life", we now have armed police shooting people dead because of a suspicion. I'd say that was a pretty fucking fundamental change to our way of life, wouldn't you?

As I said at the start. Part of me is reassured that the police will take strong action against terrorists. But the main part of me is worried that events like this will become more commonplace and, as some of the press reports today and some of the comments here, they will become accepted as "sometimes the police will make mistakes". Sorry I will not accept it.

What we are talking about here is the execution of an [apparently] innocent man. The very thing we are supposed to be fighting to prevent.

To a certain extent I agree. But at the same time the concept of innocent until proven guilty extends to the police. We do not know what made them shoot. If they reasonably judged him a threat (ie he wasn't shot because someone paniced) and they reasonably thought that the only way to stop him was to shoot him, then I don't think they were in the wrong.

Now that may mean nothing to the poor bastard's family, but cruxifying some policemen or soldiers for doing their job isn't justice, but the quest for a sacrificial lamb to ease the consciensces of people who weren't there.
  • Options
    It wasn't the uniformed officers who shouted at and chased him though, was it?

They were behind the plain clothes officers, according to eyewitnesses around 10-12 officers chased the suspect, 3 of which were plain clothes.
  • Options
    Hmm, right up until it's you, your brother, a friend etc

Probably, but that'd be letting personal shit get in the way of my opinion.

You have to look at the situation that faced the poilce at the time. What else would have had them do?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    The police officers should be getting tried, convicted and jailied for life for murder. No parole.

There should be an inquiry and if they were found to have acted unreasonably then they should be tried on the same basis as anyone else.
  • Options
    sniper666 wrote:
    They were behind the plain clothes officers, according to eyewitnesses around 10-12 officers chased the suspect, 3 of which were plain clothes.
    They were? According to who?

Uniformed officers at the tube stations have been a regularity since July 7th. When I was there last week, there was hundreds of them. They're identifiable. The plain clothes officers weren't.
  • Options
    You edited your post ya bastard :p

All of the eyewitness accounts I've read have only stated 3 plain clothes officers chasing him.
  • Options
    Vauxhall?

Surely Hereford...

I don't know. I lose trac of who lives where these days.

I thought MI6 still lived at the office block for "ACME Shipping", or whatever it was, in Vauxhall.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    You have to look at the situation that faced the poilce at the time. What else would have had them do?

A man they knew didn't have a bomb on him had the temerity to run away, so they shot him in angry cold-blood.

Oh well, only a darkie, oops.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I don't know. I lose trac of who lives where these days.

I thought MI6 still lived at the office block for "ACME Shipping", or whatever it was, in Vauxhall.

The MI6 building is at Vauxhall Cross, the MI5 building which handles internal security is on the Millbank on the other side of the river. The SAS are based in Hereford.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    A man they knew didn't have a bomb on him had the temerity to run away, so they shot him in angry cold-blood.

They didn't know that he didn't have a bomb at the time.
  • Options
    And GCHQ are over in Cheltenham.

Ta.
  • Options
    You edited your post ya bastard :p

All of the eyewitness accounts I've read have only stated 3 plain clothes officers chasing him.

The first few eyewitness accounts on the BBC stated that about 12 officers chased the man, of which 3 were plain clothes officers.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Where has it been stated that they knew he didn't have a bomb?
    Kermit wrote:

Again only you are putting a racial spin on this.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    sniper666 wrote:
    They didn't know that he didn't have a bomb at the time.
    They, by their own admission, didn't suspect he was a bomber, they suspected he was an accomplice/acquaintance of the others.

he sdidn't stop, so they murdered him, presumably to teach him a lesson.

But just like the bloke with the table leg, nothing will ever be done to punish the murderers responsible.