Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shooting in S London........

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Police confirm that shots were fired this morning and at least one fatality confirmed.

(Stockwell)

Comments

• Options
    (Stockwell)

No surprise there then, not the most scenic part of London is it? Bit harsh though, there is a bit of a gun culture these days like in America, holding a piece is seen as some kind of status thing, comes down to the fact there are a lot of kids neglected by this capitalist society.......
  • Options
    It's also about fear and control. People are scared on the streets - of being shot or attacked themselves, and having a gun gives them some control over that fear. It's like, if someone starts on them they have the power to stop it or end it like that, they're the big shot. Then when someone has a gun, and starts acting stupid, then it's a disaster waiting to happen.

This nation seems to me to be going to the dogs, though people constantly remind me we've never had it better and there was no golden age. Watching heartbeat tells me differently though :p (sarcasm)
  • Options
    Apparently it was the police doing the shooting, at Stockwell tube and they have now surrounded a mosque in East London as well.
  • Options
    Wrong end of the stick people.

The police shot a guy - he was running onto a Tube when told to stop.
  • Options
    not sure if it's related to the bombings or not as they haven't given out the details on their website yet.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    No surprise there then, not the most scenic part of London is it? Bit harsh though, there is a bit of a gun culture these days like in America, holding a piece is seen as some kind of status thing, comes down to the fact there are a lot of kids neglected by this capitalist society.......
    Er... in this particular instance it was a suspected suicide bomber who was shot... by police. Nothing to do with gun cultures or rough parts of London (which Stockwell incidentally isn't).

As it happens I passed through the area this morning. Nothing seemed to be going on around the station but police had cordoned off the approach to Vauxhall about half a mile further north.
  • Options
  • Options
    blimey!

i was round the back of King X on Tue afternoon when a guy who looked like Amir Khan stopped me and asked where the station was. I told him (it was a two min walk) then he asked for another station up the rd (Claledonia Rd) He was young and had a rucksack, and thing's didn't add up. It was as if he'd been beamed down.

i thought of alerting the police but thought, oh no, i'm being a bit paranoid becouse of what had been in the media over the last few days.

I think they should bring back stop and search, (bag searches on the transport system only) as sniffer dogs would't be that much help with all crowds. The whingers would scream legal rights etc, but they'd get blown up as well, so really, it's only potential suiucide bombers who'd reject the notion.
  • Options
    I think they should bring back stop and search, (bag searches on the transport system only) as sniffer dogs would't be that much help with all crowds. The whingers would scream legal rights etc, but they'd get blown up as well, so really, it's only potential suiucide bombers who'd reject the notion.

Interesting take on events for a "hippy". How long have you had that warrant card?

Did they warn the public (including ticket avoiders etc) that they would be shot on sight if they acted "oddly"?

Pop down to the station and ask your mates.

I think we should be told.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Did they warn the public (including ticket avoiders etc) that they would be shot on sight if they acted "oddly"?

The guy was being followed by armed police because they suspected him of being one of the bombers from yesterday.
  • Options
    I heard about this on the news today and my reaction was: Thats one less bomber alive. Maybe thats wrong, but i can't help it. I'm sick of extremists bombing our country. :mad:
  • Options
    Hello Klin

They wont be able to stop suicide bombers on the transport system. What would a Police officer on every bus or dogs do? they'll switch tatics and go for overground etc etc

The point i was trying to make, why not bring back the stop and search for people, just travelling on the transport system. They stopped it in the 80's becouse of abuse, but in this current climate, it should be brought back and used.

If you got nothing to hide, then why worry? i hope that the Musim community go on a campaign to re-introduce this law, as well as issueing a fatwa on these lowlife scumbags.
  • Options
    Did they know for sure that he was one of the bombers from yesterday, or was it just suspected?
  • Options
    It's a suspected bomber, but apparently there has been 'intelligence' on the matter. I for one am glad that they have possibly prevented another attack, if the guy had nothing to hide he wouldn't have run away from the police.
  • Options
    The point i was trying to make, why not bring back the stop and search for people, just travelling on the transport system. They stopped it in the 80's becouse of abuse, but in this current climate, it should be brought back and used.

No...because...
    They wont be able to stop suicide bombers on the transport system. What would a Police officer on every bus or dogs do? they'll switch tatics and go for overground etc etc

We already know it's a waste of time and will result in abuse.
    If you got nothing to hide, then why worry?

The normal average citizen has more to fear from the government than all the other terrorist organisations in the world. Small government = less terrorists. you can't make a connection between hassling a load of innocent folk and creating a pool of unhappy. vengeful people?
    i hope that the Musim community go on a campaign to re-introduce this law, as well as issueing a fatwa on these lowlife scumbags.

Right you are officer.
  • Options
    It's a suspected bomber, but apparently there has been 'intelligence' on the matter. I for one am glad that they have possibly prevented another attack, if the guy had nothing to hide he wouldn't have run away from the police.

Having said that, they weren't wearing uniforms. If three men started running at you with automatic pistols, would you run or hang around? Just food for thought, you know...
  • Options
    If the eyewiness accounts are true, hes dead. I would have thought though that it would have been in their interest in keeping him alive, to find out who the other people are, things like that? Not that he necessarily would have said anything, but still.
  • Options
    if he was on a mission to commit further bombings, or connected to the bombings that took place, then the Police should be charged with neglect of duty. This bit of vermin should have suffered.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Er... in this particular instance it was a suspected suicide bomber who was shot... by police. Nothing to do with gun cultures or rough parts of London (which Stockwell incidentally isn't).

As it happens I passed through the area this morning. Nothing seemed to be going on around the station but police had cordoned off the approach to Vauxhall about half a mile further north.

ok my bad, it wasn't made very clear in the first post that it was done by the police or terrorist-related at all........i don't know the exact circumstances but i would be interested to know what hard evidence they had to warrant shooting the man dead.........if it's just because he was running away then that sets a very dangerous precedent indeed, what if the guy was just carrying a big bag of weed, saw some people coming towards him and got a bit paranoid and legged it? it's not inconceivable that this scenario could happen.........
  • Options
    I would have thought though that it would have been in their interest in keeping him alive, to find out who the other people are, things like that? Not that he necessarily would have said anything, but still.

The immediate need was to neutralize the threat from the bomb. if they truly believed he had a bomb, there was only one safe course.
  • Options
    i agree apollo. Thats why they should bring back indiscriminant bag searches. If your caught with a poxy bit of weed, they'll only confiscate it.
  • Options
    Just heard the news - eyewitness report said that an asian guy was running away from three armed but un-uniformed men, he tripped trying to get on the train and then they shot him 5 times.
    i agree apollo. Thats why they should bring back indiscriminant bag searches. If your caught with a poxy bit of weed, they'll only confiscate it.

And that's fantastic if you know what the law is, if you don't you might leg it and wind up imitating a pencil, pushing up daises etc.

Only question then becomes which group of terrorists will kill you - the police or one of the other lot.
  • Options
    The scary thing is, if he wasn't a terrorist and merely a scared young man (maybe I'm being too presumptious) I can so easily see everything being whitewashed out. Anybody remember bloody sunday? Even though IIRC 13 people were shot dead, not one british soldier involved in the shootings has been brought to justice.

Of course, who's to say that this man today didn't have a detonator in his hand?
  • Options
    Of course, who's to say that this man today didn't have a detonator in his hand?

Either way, he will have by now.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

True.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

lol, for real........

heres a quote from the eyewitness off BBC site....

"As [the suspect] got onto the train I looked at his face, he looked sort of left and right, but he basically looked like a cornered rabbit, a cornered fox.

"He looked absolutely petrified and then he sort of tripped, but they were hotly pursuing him, [they] couldn't have been any more than two or three feet behind him at this time and he half tripped and was half pushed to the floor and the policeman nearest to me had the black automatic pistol in his left hand.

"He held it down to the guy and unloaded five shots into him."

Is that just me or does anyone else think that's a bit wrong? If they already had him on the ground why shoot him dead?
  • Options
    I do sincerely hope the police acted on something relatively solid... because if I were an Asian man I would be very weary of groups of men following me, what with idiots carrying out "revenge" attacks against Asians and all. The natural reaction would be to leg it to avoid a potential kicking...
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:

Is that just me or does anyone else think that's a bit wrong? If they already had him on the ground why shoot him dead?

As said, if he had a detonator or whatever, then they wouldn't risk him setting it off.
    Rather one dead, than an x amount. That said, I hope that their intelligence was spot on, and that this isn't an innocent man dead.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    As said, if he had a detonator or whatever, then they wouldn't risk him setting it off.
    Rather one dead, than an x amount. That said, I hope that their intelligence was spot on, and that this isn't an innocent man dead.

Quite. Any volunteers to sit with the human bomb in the back of the police van? Anyone want to be the one to try and disarm him?

Assuming they were sure of course...

Whitewashing this would be nigh on impossible. This is the police, not the army. Nobody would touch it.
  • Options
    I would have thought that capping three policemen would have been right up a suicide bombers street, yet no bomb.

So, you are going to blow yourself up and a load of strangers but you can't quite make your train. Now is the time to give up obviously. :yeees:

So all we need to do is make all the trains late....er than they already are and the suicide bombers won't commit suicide, they'll just hang around instead.

So he's either not a suicide bomber and therefore no threat or a suicide bomber who lost the manual. :crazyeyes
    Whitewashing this would be nigh on impossible. This is the police, not the army. Nobody would touch it.

Bunnies.